We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Calta View Post
    Excellent screed.
    I agree with this screed entirely. My minstrel is sitting in a crafting hall at level 85 waiting for the next class revamp. The champion is nearly as bad. Its revamped state is made somewhat tolerable by the insane overpowering of its AoE dps line. But all its non-dps utility in combat, and any sense of tactical thinking is gone.

Since HD came out I have been playing exclusively on the captain class, whose utility was also kneecapped. But at least its dps isn't so high that I can use a couple skills before everything is dead.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Champion feels like running around killing mobs 20 levels below you did feel in the past...

Not. At. All.
    I absolutely despise what they did to Wardens and have quitted until they fix this horrible horrible mess. Wow, WB, everything you touch whithers and dies. Turbine back in the day rocked, and now it's souless.
    Would LOVE to get a refund, tbh.

Well, I've been in a expansion a lot more than I was before, so I decided to come back to this thread. I haven't made it to Helm's Deep yet, I just finished up Broadacres, so I still cannot say anything about fighting there.

The attention to detail is amazing. I'm still stopping at places and checking things out. There seems to be a lot more bugs now then with Riders of Rohan and Isengard, but less than Moria. I was taking damage from mobs at times while on a taxi goat in Moria!

Just two nights ago I saw some mounted orcs bouncing up and down in the middle of their horses. Not wargs, horses. I kept seeing an animation of the orc rider flickering while standing inside his horse. I also saw a horse walking in a river. It didn't look like it was swimming, it looked like the program thought it was grazing in a field.

I said this in an earlier post, but I still feel that Turbine really messed up by not bringing back Chance Thomas for the soundtrack. His music was a really big hit with Riders of Rohan last year. I honestly think not having him was detrimental to the expansion.

I really enjoy the gameplay because it fits my playstyle but not bringing in Thomas kinda hurts the immersion for me.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Well, I've been in a expansion a lot more than I was before, so I decided to come back to this thread. I haven't made it to Helm's Deep yet, I just finished up Broadacres, so I still cannot say anything about fighting there.

The attention to detail is amazing. I'm still stopping at places and checking things out. There seems to be a lot more bugs now then with Riders of Rohan and Isengard, but less than Moria. I was taking damage from mobs at times while on a taxi goat in Moria!

Just two nights ago I saw some mounted orcs bouncing up and down in the middle of their horses. Not wargs, horses. I kept seeing an animation of the orc rider flickering while standing inside his horse. I also saw a horse walking in a river. It didn't look like it was swimming, it looked like the program thought it was grazing in a field.

I said this in an earlier post, but I still feel that Turbine really messed up by not bringing back Chance Thomas for the soundtrack. His music was a really big hit with Riders of Rohan last year. I honestly think not having him was detrimental to the expansion.

I really enjoy the gameplay because it fits my playstyle but not bringing in Thomas kinda hurts the immersion for me.
    The composer they used this time, Steve Gregorio worked in partnership with chance on SoA and has contributed to many outstanding scores in the game. The problem wasn't that no one wanted to hire chance but rather that they wanted cheap synth music because musicians for days and days costs £££$$$ €€€¥¥¥. I'm sure if Steve led an orchestra to make a soundtrack there would be an improvement. Still one of the new tracks makes it a favourite list of mine atleast.

maybe if they'd kept raiders interested and they all bought HD instead of starving them out there might be coins left in the coffers for some music to play the soundtrack for your playstyle.

I bet 10% extra sales wouldn't be scoffed at given how early it went on sale. good job they're not making another next year, because I'd be waiting the pitifully small amount of time for the huge sale.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarian_Grace View Post
    The composer they used this time, Steve Gregorio worked in partnership with chance on SoA and has contributed to many outstanding scores in the game. The problem wasn't that no one wanted to hire chance but rather that they wanted cheap synth music because musicians for days and days costs £££$$$ €€€¥¥¥.

That's an interesting bit of trivia. I never knew that. Thanks for sharing!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    That's an interesting bit of trivia. I never knew that. Thanks for sharing!
    there was a cool podcast, Google battle bards lotro and enjoy

here's the link since I had time battlebards.libsyn.com/battle-bards-episode-4-lord-of-the-rings-online-with-chance-thomas
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

Having played to level cap I can say I'm satisfied with the x-pac.
    Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.

Got my RK to 95, and I have to say that the solo questing content in HD is the best I've ever seen from Turbine. The storylines make more sense and are more engaging than anything I have seen in the game before, and I think they did a great job of merging in mounted combat with the stories. I never once felt like I was being shoe-horned into mounted combat for stupid reasons like I did in RoR, which was really nice. Mounted combat is still pretty lame of course, but at least it wasn't obtrusive and obnoxious like it was in RoR. If this was a solo RPG game I would say they did an outstanding job.

The Big Battles to me seem interesting, but kind-of half-baked. I really have a hard time understanding what I am supposed to do sometimes, and it's also really easy to get lost and end up getting 1-shot for completely inexplicable reasons. I have tried doing the engineer specialization, but it seems like a couple of the BB's don't even have anything for an engineer to do. It also seems odd that the only way to be effective with a catapult or a ballista is to point it at your own walls, when there is a huge army of pixel orcs sitting out there for me to hit..... It seems like they really needed more time to polish these things, and put together a better tutorial - anything to make it more intuitive for the user.

The class changes were nowhere near as bad as was made out, though clearly there is a lot of tuning needed. I actually find that I like the trait trees, and I do seem to get a lot less lag now (though not sure if that is because of my new computer or the changes). Let me reiterate though - the trait trees need a lot of tuning.

I'm not VIP any more so I can't tell you how the Moors are.

Grouping, well, there isn't any worth doing, at least from what I can see. Loot - the itemization is just awful, and we are still at the mercy of the stupid RNG.

Overall, I give the expansion two grades - solo RPG: 10/10; MMORPG: 3/10
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000013c196/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Duruleth - 100 RK, Durindor - 100 Grd, Durselm - 76 LM, Durscap - 100 Cpt, Henckel - 79 Champ, Durbear - 100 Beorning, Anglin - 67 Mins

Having finished HD I think people are being too harsh on the music. While it's not live orchestras playing it sounds nothing like bad midi instruments, which someone else said. I think the composer did a damn fine job, especially the music in the Aldberg crafting hall, it's perfect for LOTRO.

The landscape itself is awesome, helms deep itself is especially well done. Also I really don't mind the class changes.

That's about where the positivity ends for me. I found the linear questing at times really boring and grindy. Some of the quests just seemed like developer laziness, or were possibly a symptom of a rushed expansion pack.

Big battles are not something I will be partaking in again, they were unexciting and frustrating.

I don't feel the large price I paid for the expansion was worth it.

I have leveled 2 of my many characters to 95, with another upcoming. I played my main (minstrel) to 95 for the story and content. I played the second one (my LM) to 95 because I love what they did with the Keeper of Animals line. I am playing the third one to cap (a RK) strictly for ore/hides and hopefully finally looting a shard or 6, which after fully leveling my minstrel scholar and LM cook, I have found a grand total of ZERO shards, which means I can't craft anything useful at all (thanks Turbine).

The Good

In general, I am very happy with the class changes. I play SWTOR as my main MMO these days and I am far more comfortable with the spec lines there than I was with the kitchen sink approach of Lotro abilities.

In general, I enjoyed the storyline a lot. I also thought the questing from 85-95 was good as well.

They have done another wonderful job designing a beautiful and rich landscape, as well as HD that I pictured in my head from the books.

The Bad

HD falls wayyyy short is with end game.

Most of my guild is long gone now (we all left ~2 years ago when expansions lost their quality and a better game launched)...so while I appreciate there is content I can play solo now that I have come back to see HD; there's literally nothing new in the game in terms of raids/instances since I left other than 1 skirmish and the BB system (which to me is awful) That says TONS to me in terms of the health of the game. No new content and this game loses raiders and min/maxers - players that pound for pound, play and spend more than anyone else. That's a huge issue. It speaks volumes, really.

End game also includes PvP and that has been irreparably broken and mismanaged in this game for years.

I don't enjoy BBs because solo it's near impossible to complete all side objectives at Platinum, so grinding for platinum rewards is too slow. Plus when I do get a platinum reward, I end up getting the exact same useless teal I got a week ago. Haven't seen an orange reward yet. Way too many repeats.

So all that's left for me to do is finally locate some shards and craft my minstrel some gear. I will level my other crafters' rep but probably won't bother leveling them to level cap. There's no real point.

My .02.

The class overhaul totally ruined this game for me. I used to like playing each class but now... it's just not fun.

I hate the new trait system. LOTRO was unique in it's trait system but this is like a weak copy of other MMOs stuck onto what was formerly one of the game's strengths. The complaint that there was only one or two builds for each class is not a good enough reason to overhaul the system IMO, and the result was much worse than what we had before. All the previous overhauls of classes was actually making things better, bit by bit. But this latest monstrosity seems to have erased all the progress that was made. I could even live with it if they hadn't completely gutted the skills. My captain is now a total bore to play whereas he used to be a fun challenge for PvP and PvE. My champion is no longer fun at all. Everything is dumbed down to a few stupid skills. This expansion could have been OK but I can't even bring myself to log in any more. I understand the reasoning behind the changes: bring in more former WoW players by giving them something more familiar. But the damage you are causing to your relationship with the loyal veteran player base is going to hurt you in the end.
    Last edited by Giladrin; Jan 08 2014 at 03:36 PM.

Positive:
    -I didn't find the class changes too hard to adapt to for any of my 6 toons (Champ, LM, Warden, Minstrel, RK, and Captain). In some ways, it streamlined skill usage because classes like LM and Minstrel had so many skills available at once, I let my quickslot bar get cluttered with icons for skills I seldom or never used. Yeah, I know I could have just done a better job of organizing it myself, but I kind of hoarded them in fear that I'd suddenly have some urgent need to use them.
    -Personally, I love being able to use siege weapons, even if it's in the limited scope of HD instances. It brings out the destructive maniac in me
    -I like not having to craft components, especially those that require components from other professions. I hated having to switch characters multiple times to get polished gems from my Jeweller to give to my Weaponsmith, etc. That, or I'd have to keep a reserve of any shared materials in shared or housing storage. The simplification of crafting freed up a lot of storage space for me.

Negative:
    -The absolute biggest negative for me is that the update made characters, NPCs, and mobs ghosted or invisible for me, and the new system requirements Turbine posted didn't indicate I'd have any problems. Yes, my computer is old. I know I have reason to expect it to stop working eventually -- which is why I've been saving for a new one. If I'd known ahead of time the update would make all figures invisible or ghosted (and that the issue would be ignored by LOTRO and Turbine staff), I would have saved the money I spent pre-ordering HD and put it toward a new machine. Worse still is that the attitude in the responses I and others have gotten from Turbine has more or less been, "screw you, your computer is old and you should have assumed this would happen even if we didn't say it would." I feel like the game was advertised falsely in that sense and now I and others are being stonewalled about the issue. (Needless to say, I won't put any more money into the game until I feel these concerns have been addressed, and in the future I will not pre-order anything. I'll wait to see if updates screw things up, and if they don't, I'll buy the expansion for cheaper a couple of weeks later).
    -Even if they didn't add new MC skills, I'd like to have seen the level cap for war-steeds go up. Even with new bridles and relics, I feel like my war-steeds still haven't kept up with the characters' dramatic increase in potency between 85 and 95.

late to respond but as a warden and guardian IT SUCKS , as a cappy and champ it rocks as a hunter meh. as mini dont know havent gotten there yet lol burg, well played some and he hits like a truck and gets hit like it was a truck lol

BB suck threat sucks boring content. no raids or instances ..sucks
    I will probably not ever preorder again unless WB gets out or LOTRO. and then only after its proven to be worth ordering... I guess that sums it up.

cooking needs venison sausage , all ingredients come from vendor but i still have to make the sausage for 2.2g per stack ? I think someone spent too much time in Colorado before coming up with that one.

Positive notes the trait trees arent as bad live as i expected them to be. but threat OMG what the hell???!!!!

I'm pretty satisfied with it. Love the changes to the guardian. It fits my play style better. The landscape is spectacular, quests/story is good though some areas seemed rushed. I'm not a hard core raider, but do enjoy them. I enjoy the big battles and wish the scaled all to all sizes. The music is ok, but doesn't quite stack up with the RoR soundtrack.

I'm a mostly completionist/solo player that duos a lot. In the past I enjoyed the epic long instances like Fornost, but today life gets in the way of that so I appreciate the smaller quicker group content.

HD could benefit from more repeatables things to do other than warbands and BB but I suspect much of those things would become obsolete when the new regions drop every few months.

I decided to post here again since I've progressed farther. I'm in Woodhurst right now(I haven't finished HD because I play a lot of lowbies). I love the storylines, I love the fact that I don't have to spend as much time on war steeds like I did in Rohan, I love the skill trees. I spend a lot of time in foot because I love looking around. The game looks gorgeous.

But I said it twice in this thread and I'll say it again. The music sucks. For me, it's a big letdown from last year. And why does HD have recycled music from various places of Eriador? Ok, if the budget is an issue why not use the music from Riders of Rohan? The land area is still Rohan.
    Also, I wish we had the option of traveling directly across the bridge to West Rohan instead of having to do a quest line first in East Rohan and Wildermore. I can understand why you need to for Moria because of the LIs but I see no need to do so for Rohan.

This is the most let down I've been with an expansion. So no, I'm not satisfied at all.

I'm having a great time - the new areas are beautiful, and I haven't finished everything even though I am 95 - still lots left to see and do! I still have to check out some big battles too. I agree the music was quite a let down - I especially hate the Aldburg crafting hall - won't go in there {{{{shudder}}}}
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!

I really enjoy the class changes so yeah I am very satisfied. Kind of renewed my enjoyment of the game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000001896/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Garethporlest18 View Post
    I really enjoy the class changes so yeah I am very satisfied. Kind of renewed my enjoyment of the game.

Same here. I love the class changes.

Enough already

Want more excitement, more challenges, not happy with the expansion? geez give up gaming and go find something else to do with your real life. Ive been hearing this type of complaints since online gaming came out. Yes its not hard but then again as long as they bring something new to the game that wasnt there before im happy. This game isn't designed around hard core end game raid players and even though some things are a grind, what mmorpg doesnt have that?

Quote Originally Posted by meteon2 View Post
    Want more excitement, more challenges, not happy with the expansion? geez give up gaming and go find something else to do with your real life. Ive been hearing this type of complaints since online gaming came out. Yes its not hard but then again as long as they bring something new to the game that wasnt there before im happy. This game isn't designed around hard core end game raid players and even though some things are a grind, what mmorpg doesnt have that?
    So you bump a 9 month old post to tell people to quit whining?
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Generation whiners

[QUOTE=Beaniemooch;7247357]So you bump a 9 month old post to tell people to quit whining?[/QUOTE Here you are whining about somebody making a post for something you consider old, sry but this topic isn't old as long as the game is running. Somebody with 3 level 100's probably still playing helms deep didn't have anything better to do than worry about a bump. Helms deep recently went on sale for half off and i know a lot of people who have bought it. It's all new to them and myself. Since i dont play this game everyday and i found the thread on the bottom of the first page of the forum interesting. There is a part on the forum for player input on what they want to see in this game, so really no reason to complain and whine. Just like people who come on the forums just to post saying they are quiting for so and so reason. Somebody has to tell them to shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by meteon2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    So you bump a 9 month old post to tell people to quit whining?
    Here you are whining about somebody making a post for something you consider old, sry but this topic isn't old as long as the game is running. Somebody with 3 level 100's probably still playing helms deep didn't have anything better to do than worry about a bump. Helms deep recently went on sale for half off and i know a lot of people who have bought it. It's all new to them and myself. Since i dont play this game everyday and i found the thread on the bottom of the first page of the forum interesting. There is a part on the forum for player input on what they want to see in this game, so really no reason to complain and whine. Just like people who come on the forums just to post saying they are quiting for so and so reason. Somebody has to tell them to shut up.
    Actually what I did was ask a question, because you were telling people to quit whining on an expansion that a) isn't the latest and b) hadn't been posted about in 9 months in this thread. I was more amused than somehow offended that you bumped it because it made no sense. It struck me like a person coming into a room where people had been silently sitting for hours and telling them to be quiet. In the case of this thread they stopped whining 9 months ago, if you want to call it that.

I have more than 3 level 100's, those are just the ones in my signature. I'm not playing Helms Deep anymore either, I moved on to Gondor and other activities waiting for the new expansion at the end of the year.

And in my opinion the "Somebody" who "has to tell them to shut up" would be the community manager. Hopefully you'll enjoy HD. Personally I think it was a step in the wrong direction for lotro, but they seem to be trying to correct that.

Tally ho.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

So what they fix

it is actually kinda sad cause I bought this expansion preorder and it jacked 3 of the 4 classes I play champion, Warden and Rune keeper the only one that I saw improvement on was the Burg the other 3 became mules if they were going to force people into the garbage skill tree they should have refunded all the real money spent on each char or at least gave us the items spent on them back for deletion reasons they ruined each of the classes respectively IMO champs have ok Dps but survivability Rune Keepers can do damage but can't heal while they do battle so they are one or 2 shot before death and the Warden ### can we say butter no they didn't need to be so OP to drop raid bosses on there own so slightly scale them back my burg can out tank a warden I am posting this now cause a year later they still are useless and all the classes have become mules tried and tested last night me and my roommate both went and scaled to lvl 100 in the retaking of some place she got a rare mob and I got the other one not only did I kill mine but had to kill hers as well cause she died and had to run back that is not fixed it is broken in every since of the word so yes this game better be careful or it is going to turn into another World of War Craft that is in MHO so in concluding my Review a year later after all changes have been made bugs kind a fixed trees kind a balanced 2/10 for me

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19