We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A Captain DPS Build (for Helm's Deep)

Captain: Two-handed Weapon DPS Build

Lead the Charge (Red Line):
    45 Points

Spend 45 points into this tree. *Do not spend points on Restraint or Heightened Allies. You'll get every skill in the tree except those two, which are useless for Character DPS. This will give you the highest melee dps out of all three trait trees.

Hands of Healing (Blue Line): 20 Points

Spend your remaining 20 points into the following skills of this tree: Reversal, Skilled Hands, Revealing Mark and Dignified Spectacle. This adds to your overall DPS by giving +10% Melee Damage (a constant +4% with an additional +6% briefly after each critical), a constant +7% Tactical Damage, constant +7% Outgoing Healing, and grants the skill Revealing Mark, which is great to have in situations where Lifetap is desired.

Dps Legacies

Major Weapon Legacies:

• Telling Mark Damage (Very Strong)
    • Pressing Attack and Devastating Blow Crit Rating (Very Strong)
    • Melee Skills Critical Magnitude (Very Strong)
    • Pressing Attack Max Targets (Strong)
    • To Arms Duration (can be put on a swap weapon)
    • Oathbreaker's Shame Duration (can be put on a swap weapon)

Minor Weapon Legacies:

• Blade of Elendil Damage (Very Strong)
    • Inspire Damage (Very Strong)
    • Tactics Duration (Strong)
    • Bleed damage (Weak for this build; better for Leader of Men)
    • Routing Cry Damage (Weak)

Major Class Legacies:

• Sure Strike Damage (Very Strong)
    • Noble mark Damage (Useless; need to be Leader of Men traited)

Minor Class Legacies:

• Shadow's Lament Damage (Very Strong)
    • Devastating Blow and Pressing Attack Damage (Very Strong)
    • **Time of Need Buff Duration (Strong)
    • ***Light-type Damage (Strong)
    • Bleed Pulses Bleed damage (Weak for this build; better for Leader of Men)

* Restraint and Heightened Allies are bad for this build: Restraint only reduces power costs and Heightened Allies only increases your pet dps by 20%. By not using them you free up points needed to access Dignified Spectacle in the Blue Line.

** Time of Need Buff Duration (+10 seconds) - I think Time of Need is great now and should be used whenever available; it no longer costs morale, has a 2 min cooldown, and with the legacy grants: an enemy defeat response (8-13s); battle-readied state with +5% melee/tactical dmg ( 15s); -20% attack duration, +20% melee/tactical dmg, +20% crit multiplier (30s)

*** Light-type Damage - I think this legacy is strong because it buffs the dmg of at least four skills: Shadow's Lament, Routing Cry, Battle Shout, and Standard of War. (It also might buff the Improved Blade of Elendil effect but I do not know)

Looks pretty good! I was using a very similar build in beta. My build dropped a couple of points in the bleed traits to poach a few points of Rousing Cry, though.

Of course, that's probably not worth doing unless/until the thing where Rousing Cry and Penetrating Cry don't stack gets sorted out.
    Last edited by furtim; Nov 27 2013 at 01:37 PM.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Thanks, I really like it! I am dealing lot of DPS in these solo epic line big battles. I didn't play in the Beta and just came up with this build today after hitting 95 and getting dps second ages made.

It's too bad dipping into the other trees costs 2 points instead of one. It really limits our abilities to diversify into different dps build strategies. As far as I can tell this build seems pretty much the only one worth doing.

Something to consider:

Pull two points out of Blade Bro's FB trait, and stick one into Rousing Cry.

Another possible trade (but conflicts with the above):
    Sacrifice Revealing Mark and buff the herald.

Edit:
    Hmm.... I'll need to hammer out a LtC spec hybrid build, as that has given me an idea.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Something to consider:

Pull two points out of Blade Bro's FB trait, and stick one into Rousing Cry.

Another possible trade (but conflicts with the above):
    Sacrifice Revealing Mark and buff the herald.

Edit:
    Hmm.... I'll need to hammer out a LtC spec hybrid build, as that has given me an idea.
    The rousing cry thing seems weak for the investment. It's only +1% dmg for a brief duration. Unless there is more to it than I am aware of.

I like the idea of exchanging revealing mark for the +40 Herald dmg. It would be better for sure if you do not plan on using Revealing Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by enginekid88 View Post
    The rousing cry thing seems weak for the investment. It's only +1% dmg for a brief duration. Unless there is more to it than I am aware of.

I like the idea of exchanging revealing mark for the +40 Herald dmg. It would be better for sure if you do not plan on using Revealing Mark.
    Another possibility is completely dropping Fellowship of the Blade for a point into Rousing Cry and a point into Heightened Allies.

If you really are going for max personal DPS, FotB is dead weight in that respect.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Another possibility is completely dropping Fellowship of the Blade for a point into Rousing Cry and a point into Heightened Allies.

If you really are going for max personal DPS, FotB is dead weight in that respect.
    Well, FotB is amazing in groups, so I'll just trait that since I don't plan on soloing much. But it's not good solo.

This is excellent. Just what I needed after struggling through four previous classes trying to figure out a reasonable build to kick off with. I realise that everyone has their own style and what suits one person may well not suit another so it's a brave person who sticks their neck out by making a suggested build, knowing it could well attract criticism. I didn't follow this exactly and no doubt will make my own changes once I've got enough experience to know what I'm doing but I've started off in the right direction thanks to this Thank you kindly.

These are the LI's I made for this build. The Emblem lacks Light-skill Damage legacy because there is a bug mking them unable to extract. I just used my old relics and whatever was available. I am routinely critting for 10-15k

I have To Arms Duration and Oathbreakers on a swap, 20 second oathies is amazing.

As a big fan of the increased Bleed efficiency, I am surprised by the lack of Bleed Damage + Bleed Pulses legacies on your LIs. Of course they do not help with burst dps, but in the long fights bleeds stand pretty high on my CA list.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Lunasa - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by Lunasa View Post
    As a big fan of the increased Bleed efficiency, I am surprised by the lack of Bleed Damage + Bleed Pulses legacies on your LIs. Of course they do not help with burst dps, but in the long fights bleeds stand pretty high on my CA list.
    It depends on the amount of targets, but even for burst damage the AoE bleed from Grave Wound can be quite helpful unless you can end the fight in a few seconds. Also, considering the rather high cooldown and low damage from Inspire, Bleed damage was my pick of those two.

You might be right, but when I studied all the redline skills it seemed like only grave wound has bleed. And Leader of men seemed to be the spec for bleeds, therefore i decided to leave that legacy off until I make a leader of men spec and weapons for that spec.

This may be a n00b comment/question, so please forgive me if so, but to me "DPS" is the ability to defeat mob(s) with powerful attacks each of which imparts significant damage, in other words taking the terminology of "Damage Per Second" literally. To me bleeds are a secondary type of damage which imparts lower damage per second than those powerful attacks. I recognise that this type of damage may well help shorten long battles against very powerful mobs (which can be very helpful for some instances), but I thought this thread was about DPS. The modifications I made to my build were in fact to remove those bleed skills almost entirely (partly because I have been in a group situation when instructed by the group leader not to attack with bleeds at all because the boss loves them!) So for a DPS Cappy are these bleeds a critical part of the build?
    Last edited by Flooz; Nov 30 2013 at 03:27 PM.

You might be right, but when I studied all the redline skills it seemed like only grave wound has bleed. And Leader of men seemed to be the spec for bleeds, therefore i decided to leave that legacy off until I make a leader of men spec and weapons for that spec.
    Grave Wound and Cutting Attack both have bleeds. In LtC tree Grave Wound spreads bleeds from Cutting Attack. Grave Wound bleeds stack with each other (duration of DoT is 38s with legacy, cd on the skill is 15s-20s depending on your traits).

LoM has one trait for bleeds:
    Call Them Out (Increased Bleed Damage [+2-10%])

LtC has 3 traits for bleeds:
    Make Them Bleed (Increased Bleed Damage [+4-20%])
    Grievous Wounds (Increased Grave Wound Damage [+2-10%]. Final rank adds -50% Incoming Healing debuff on enemy for 5s)
    Vital Stroke (Increased critical damage magnitude for Grave Wound [+25-50%]. Final ranks reduces cooldown by 5s)

LtC has a set bonus:
    Tier 4 (20 Ranks): Lacerate (If Cutting Attack is present on a mob, then using Grave Wound will spread the DoT to nearby foes. Additionally, +25% Bleed Damage)

Note that the Vital Stroke also affects the magnitude of every tick of Grave Wound.

I do have the Bleed legaices both on my tanking and dps LIs. Extra 9 ticks for every bleed and extra 40% damage on all that is just too sweet. These bleeds crit for over 1.5k even when I am wearing tanking gear with low crit chance and non-optimized masteries.
    Last edited by Lunasa; Nov 30 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105

Quote Originally Posted by Flooz View Post
    This may be a n00b comment/question, so please forgive me if so, but to me "DPS" is the ability to defeat mob(s) with powerful attacks each of which imparts significant damage, in other words taking the terminology of "Damage Per Second" literally. To me bleeds are a secondary type of damage which imparts lower damage per second than those powerful attacks. I recognise that this type of damage may well help shorten long battles against very powerful mobs (which can be very helpful for some instances), but I thought this thread was about DPS. The modifications I made to my build were in fact to remove those bleed skills almost entirely (partly because I have been in a group situation when instructed by the group leader not to attack with bleeds at all because the boss loves them!) So for a DPS Cappy are these bleeds a critical part of the build?
    No they aren't. And bleeds do cause threat now which is why bleeds are part of skillset of the Yellow tanking line.

Quote Originally Posted by Flooz View Post
    Bleeds are a lot more situational. If the bleeds get to tick for their full duration (or even just half), there's a good chance they'll be worth it compared to popping another Sure Strike. If you have a lot of mobs clustered, the AoE GW bleed can very quickly become your most powerful skill.
    I tested it in Stoneheight, pulling 8 mobs, popping CA and then GW, all 8 mobs got the bleed, that's easily 4-7k damage every 2 seconds from GW alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    AoE GW bleed can very quickly become your most powerful skill
    Isn't that in Yellow spec line? This is Redline not yellow, and that's used to maintain threat for cappies tanking.

Isn't that in Yellow spec line? This is Redline not yellow, and that's used to maintain threat for cappies tanking.
    Check my post above It is an LtC trait set bonus. LtC has multiple buffs to various bleeds while a tanking line has only one trait, weaker than most bleed traits in the Red tree.
    Ishtarien - Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lunasa View Post
    Check my post above It is an LtC trait set bonus. LtC has multiple buffs to various bleeds while a tanking line has only one trait, weaker than most bleed traits in the Red tree.
    I'll check next time i am online

It is the fourth set bonus in LtC, the red line. It's called Lacerate. It's not used to maintain threat for cappies tanking, even though such a change was suggested several times in the Beta thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    It is the fourth set bonus in LtC, the red line. It's called Lacerate. It's not used to maintain threat for cappies tanking, even though such a change was suggested several times in the Beta thread
    Oh yeah i somehow missed that ability. Lacerate. Yes it's pretty nice when surrounded by mobs. It is strange that it's not part of Yellow line hey