We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Feleg View Post
    That is the case, I haven't seen such bold claims since. They had a good year when they had subscriptions and an influx of F2P revenue. I would guess that the subscription revenue fell off in the immediate years after and was not substituted by f2p revenue. I doubt that the average f2p player spent less than the average subscription fee. Add that to a drop of over 50% of players as evidenced by globallff population since ROI and you have a sick financial bunny. The only natural response of a business to this is to cut costs. Quality drops, the cash cow gets milked harder, etc, etc. We are seeing a much less polished product now.

How do I know this? I am an awesome finance, business and marketing strategy guru.
    You really cannot go by glff. More & more players are getting fed up with glff & have left the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzyguts View Post
    I don't understand how and why people say the $15/mos or the other package deals are a rip off. Are you all really saying that .50 cents a day is too much when the average Starbucks or even gas station coffee costs how much...?

If you want games to get good and attention to details and care implemented, then you need to support it plain and simple. Whether it be by subs or store/points purchases. A couple of bucks here and there does wonders for the gravy train.

On a personal note I still think Lotro has one of the best free systems out there. There are a lot of MMO's coming out in 2014 and I think this one has its work cut out for it. As for the new HD system, yeah changes suck. But I honestly believe this new system has the foundations to launch a much more immersive play and will allow higher end content (AA's anyone? old skool EQ)

There our things that have to be worked out. Lets not flame and be pessimistic. Lets be supportive and try and help devs and yell at the CEO's for them. XD.

We don't want them to pull the plug on it like what happened to CoH. A community devastated, rage ensued to the point where they are making their own CoH type MMO.
    If you go 3 months, that's under 30.00. Way I look at it is that amount is about the cost for hubby & I to go to the movies. Buying the tickets, drinks & popcorn. For that we are lucky to get 2 hours of entertainment.

IMO I don't see VIP as a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by rosey21 View Post
    If you go 3 months, that's under 30.00. Way I look at it is that amount is about the cost for hubby & I to go to the movies. Buying the tickets, drinks & popcorn. For that we are lucky to get 2 hours of entertainment.

VIP at the long run is a rip off. I am not going to give you the exact numbers now but you don't even need them to realize it.

After about a year and a couple of months. You've payed more money than you would've payed if you just bought the packs all together.

Being VIP is good for other reasons, like now you have this hobbit gift stuff. But if you're in it just for the content. You can buy everything permanently (which costs more at once) and then never bother paying VIP again. The issue with VIP is

If you suddenly run out of money on a character that is say.. Level 53? Then you don't have the quest packs or any of that any longer. So you have to wait for the next payment. Next month et cetera. Or just go around crafting and doing silly things until you get money.

If you buy everything, you can play and take breaks when you want. Fully knowing that when you return, you can pick up where you left from.

I'll still stick to VIP, because I can't burn 100+ dollars at once just like that

There are other benefits to VIP I dont think you are counting as well

Trait / Virtue slots (these are free with vip and cost 95-195tp each for f2p and premium)
    Riding Skill (95tp unless you spend 1995 and get the premium riding skill)
    Extra Character Slots (795tp each I believe) and you get 2
    Swift Travel (Need to use Mithril if premium and or f2p)
    Wardrobe 20 Slots (995tp)

Now what a lot of people do, is roll VIP for 3 months. This unlocks (on all toons logged in during that time)

Trait / V irtue Slots
    Riding Skill (as long as you hit 20 and do the quest)
    Swift travel

After the 3 months they use the 1500 saved up tp to buy 2-4 quest packs.
    To get to end game you only need about 3 quest packs plus expansions.

When i first went to premium I only had Angmar, evendim and Eregion.
    I purchased enedwaith because I reached the end (lvl 65 at the time) and wanted more to do

I re-subbed for a while as I am a alt a holic

and I plan on re-subbing again as soon as I can to get those unlocks on my toons made after my vip expired.
    welcome to maintenance mode

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post

Trait / Virtue slots (these are free with vip and cost 95-195tp each for f2p and premium)

Now what a lot of people do, is roll VIP for 3 months. This unlocks (on all toons logged in during that time)

Trait / V irtue Slots
    Swift travel

I purchased enedwaith because I reached the end (lvl 65 at the time) and wanted more to do

and I plan on re-subbing again as soon as I can to get those unlocks on my toons made after my vip expired.
    Extra Chars are 595TP each. Not 795TP but everything else looks correct.

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post

Trait / V irtue Slots
    Swift travel

Well thats sort of my point. VIP can be used but you don't need to pay it forever. Eventually you'll buy the entire game provided you save up TP and stuff. So no need to worry if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gui_Incognito View Post
    If you are VIP, you don't have to buy anything else. Your 500 Turbine Points a month will easily pay for each expansion.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Veniathan View Post
    Well thats sort of my point. VIP can be used but you don't need to pay it forever. Eventually you'll buy the entire game provided you save up TP and stuff. So no need to worry if you ask me.
    Well, the reasons I like to sub are these.

1. The 500 tp a month. hey I save them and if something pops in the store I want (exclusive) I dont have to worry about it
    2. I create a lot of alts. So having those unlocks readilly available if decide to roll a new toon is nice
    3. I am supporting the game I play. I like playing it, and I want to be able to keep playing it. So if my subscribing helps to continue development of the game.. awesome.
    4. I like the game (I know i said this above but hey, I like it)
    welcome to maintenance mode

Just noticed this thread here while responding to a post in a thread I created. Ill refrain from quoting everyone but here is a few points I would just like to make.

I can not understand why so many people have trouble with this very simple concept. They seem to think that somehow they're entitled to everything in the store for the price they feel they should pay, which typically is nothing.
    Don't want any handouts but my question still remains which was in the other thread I started. If you are a person who is supporting this game through a subscription and a purchase of the expansion then you shouldn't have to pay for things like a trait specialization page or whatever the thing is called. Which may I mention costs 100 mithril coins as well. To purchase 100 coins you need close to 1k tp I believe or 850 tp. To make things worse the silly thing isn't even an account unlock. Then there's PVMP. Oh well I'm not even going to bother with saying whats wrong with that.

For the sake of the argument let us look at this another way . My subscription is ending within two months. Is there a valid reason to continue doing the same . Surely with all you folks subscribing there must be some kind of plus point that Ive missed somewhere along the way.

This sounds like a valid point. Just curious do you not find the same level of enjoyment playing the game without the VIP subscription or is there a reason you choose to be VIP ?
    I don't understand how and why people say the $15/mos or the other package deals are a rip off. Are you all really saying that .50 cents a day is too much when the average Starbucks or even gas station coffee costs how much...?
    I find this to be the worse reason ever. If I were to translate this amount into the currency where I live it would equal an average workers weekly wages. By no means am I telling you how to spend your money. But please do not generalize for everyone else.

There our things that have to be worked out. Lets not flame and be pessimistic. Lets be supportive and try and help devs and yell at the CEO's for them. XD.

We don't want them to pull the plug on it like what happened to CoH. A community devastated, rage ensued to the point where they are making their own CoH type MMO.
    As much as I want to be supportive there's a line I'm not willing to cross and at the moment turbines pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by exx2000 View Post
    As much as I want to be supportive there's a line I'm not willing to cross and at the moment turbines pushing it.

This a hundreed times

I don't see how being ViP is a rip off. I have bought every thing in the store from my 500 TP a month allowance. Milestones, extra vault space, Riders of Rohan quest pack last year, cosmetic outfits, and the list goes on. And I very rarely grind. Only reason I did a warg deed two nights ago was to see how over powered my lore master was.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I don't see how being ViP is a rip off. I have bought every thing in the store from my 500 TP a month allowance. Milestones, extra vault space, Riders of Rohan quest pack last year, cosmetic outfits, and the list goes on. And I very rarely grind. Only reason I did a warg deed two nights ago was to see how over powered my lore master was.
    VIP is a rip off after you own the entire game. That was ALL that I said.

Also I do deeds regardless if I am paying VIP or not (I am) and it's because of the traits and especially the titles.

and especially the titles.
    I love the titles too!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

I wouldn't go as far as say its a rip off. However I will say that it is improperly packaged. The benefits only help new players. If you we're to go one month VIP and then premium and buy the rest of points it will still be more worthwhile than VIP.

I love the titles too!
    I'm a title lover too but this is given regardless you are VIP or not. However you do get some for preorders but expansions have to be purchased regardless of subscription mode. One of my character names is Adoraba ElleHugsAlot, Abuser of Amusement and has a whole load of those click emotes .

Minor things like these are which bring me amusement and maybe even others! Give VIPS custom emotes or special dances I don't know what but just be creative about it. Make it worthwhile rather than just putting a custom frame. Be more prompt about your content fixes and website updates. Make GM support worthwhile rather than the standard response of "Go file a bug report." Be reasonable on pricing on some things. If you cant reduce the price for us at least make something account purchasable.

There are many threads about how they find HD displeasing. I'm not complaining about content / music / combat style or anything like that. I'm just asking for a reasonable update for folks who have been subscribers for an a long time who also support the game by purchasing the expansions. Personally I think if Turbine had a better track record at eliminating the bugs then people wouldnt be this aggravated about the expansion.

If the game was not potentially Free to play, I could not now justify playing it. I first played it as a change from WoW when it first came out, and played it for about a year before I took a break from MMO's.

In 2011 my wife had to give up her job for caring responsibilities. I took up LOTRO again because it was 'free' and I enjoyed the world. I have probably spent about $80 on the game since then, on a mixture of VIP membership to get toons with riding and traits unlocked, and to buy content. The only things I buy apart from content and character slots are to unlock craft guild memberships and auction slots. With a mixture of payment and grinding I have 6 character slots, all the major expansions up to Rohan, and enough areas and skirmishes to keep me levelling and happy.

I can justify the occasional expenditure to myself as I pay for them by ebaying other PC games and other hobby artifcats I no longer play with. I do not buy any cosmetics or game short cuts (like slayer acceleration etc) with Turbine Points.

If LOTRO were on a monthly payment plan only I would not be playing it, as I simply could not make that financial commitment.

VIP players benefit from the F2P players because they have more people to group with in game, or more creeps to fight on the Ettenmoors.

If introducing the store doubled Turbines revenue from the game, good. I appreciate the model that they use for the game, and I'm quite happy to pay occasionally to unlock content. I have already paid more for LOTRO than I would have for an ordinary PC game. It is a business, and they have to pay their way. So many MMO's have died over time, I'm glad this one still lets me explore their vision of Middle Earth.

VIP is a rip off after you own the entire game. That was ALL that I said.

Also I do deeds regardless if I am paying VIP or not (I am) and it's because of the traits and especially the titles.
    One thing about MMOs is that you do not buy or own the game. You are paying for access to the online content. Before F2P was around, you lost access to the content if you stoppled playing. Now you have limited access.

But under no circumstances do you own any part of an MMO.

As far as being a rip off goes, it depends on if the person playing is happy with what they pay for. For example, I once paid $1600 for a pretty nice gaming rig. For me, it was worth every penny, but my in-laws thought I wasted $1600. The same in-law paid $10,000 for an authentic Persian Carpet and I thought she was crazy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4