We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 246
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambruin View Post
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

    I don't know what is wrong with the current MMO Developer mindset, but in an attempt to be mainstream and accessible they've (not only Turbine) deviated so far and wide from the original MMO mindset that I'm no longer convinced I'm actually playing one.
    There are far more "seats" available in the MMO space than there are self-described "gamers" to fill them, which is to say that there aren't enough gamers to keep all the MMOs alive. The result is that game companies are trying two tactics to solve the problem of "how do we get enough income to stay in business?" One tactic is to try to extract more money, on average, from each player. That's what is driving in-game accessible stores and pseudo-currencies that make people feel like they aren't spending "real" money. The other tactic is an effort to broaden the base of potential players. This is done by making the games playable by people who lack the dedication or experience to play a complex game. The so-called "dumbing down" that some people complain about.

    Until and unless there is a major weeding out of weaker game companies, both of these are the trends of the future.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren View Post
    5. What on earth does 'Sic'em' mean??? Is this some sort of redneck joke or something? Certainly not a phrase I think that JRR would recognise.
    Google "Sic'em". The word has been in use in the English language for about 150 or so years. It has several meanings, it is Latin and in the context of its use in game means, Go get him or Attack them.

    Research, a wonderful learning tool.
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 87 Warden, Cneasai - 46 Minstrel, Veneur - 50 Hunter plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gorleston, Norfolk, England
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    . The result is that game companies are trying two tactics to solve the problem of "how do we get enough income to stay in business?" One tactic is to try to extract more money, on average, from each player. That's what is driving in-game accessible stores and pseudo-currencies that make people feel like they aren't spending "real" money. The other tactic is an effort to broaden the base of potential players. This is done by making the games playable by people who lack the dedication or experience to play a complex game. The so-called "dumbing down" that some people complain about.

    Until and unless there is a major weeding out of weaker game companies, both of these are the trends of the future.
    Sadly a similar thing goes for any game, new piece of tech. synthesizers, most bands or whatever nowdays.

    Companies want a very quick return and are not prepared to take a risk on anything different or new any more. Someone could come up with a gaming idea that could be the next Populous or the next WOW in terms of popularity, but they would never get the backing to make it. Much better to churn out the latest Grand Turisimo, Cod or whatever

    So we end up with very little innovation

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Glumposneak View Post
    Much better to churn out the latest ..., Cod ...
    Why would Turbine want to "churn out" a fish?
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 87 Warden, Cneasai - 46 Minstrel, Veneur - 50 Hunter plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren View Post
    1. I appreciate that you are trying to tell a story, however the linear quest line (ie complete one, be directed to the next that is only active when the first has been completed) has killed any sense of exploration, discovery or free will. If I wanted to run on rails without thinking,I could play a platform game, not a MMO.
    Out of the OP's entire post, I do believe this is the most concerning point and it's been going on since RoI. I remember spending afternoons exploring and not even playing -- enjoying the beautiful scenery and the attention to detail. Then comes Moria (BEFORE its nerf) and I was ecstatic. What beautiful, lore-abiding treasure of an area. Mirkwood, a very good area, challenging, fun and with an appropriate atmosphere, albeit light on content. RoI comes along -- I feel like I'm going on rails and ever since then, this has been the trend. They even went back and defiled Moria, which was one of the best areas in the game. Yes, people complained, but it was a city under the mountain, yes it was going to be dark and difficult. It was overrun by orcs and unspeakable creatures, but I digress. Not a single group quest in Moria, RoI and RoR. So not only are they making the game so linear, they're making it incredibly easy. No raids, no excitement from instances since all you get are seals and tokens to be exchanged for different things. This forces people to run the same instances over and over, because they yield the most seals the fastest. They even removed the rare elite mobs that would sometimes spawn, dropping a shard when defeated. Some of these were really tough and fun to beat.

    It's a sad state of affairs.

  6. #31
    I agree. The expansion could work... But they really need to make it harder. If this trend keeps going I'll be soloing six mans while a bunch of twelve year old complain that it's just too hard to do with a full group. I am by no means a hard core gamer. Lotro is the only game I've ever played seriously. And for a while it was almost impossible for me. But I kept playing and enjoyed it, even though I died when two mobs attacked me, because it was a challenge. It forced me to think and learn how and when to use certain skills.

    With this most recent update, I practically mastered the entire system in a few hours, rather than months or years. And then I was soloing three mans. With ease.

    I intend to stick around and wait for Turbine to fix it, but I don't think I'll be playing until they do.
    [IMG]https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1379646_409269769172892_1671221629_n.jpg[/IMG]

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderZtorm View Post
    So the second you pay for something, you are entitled to complain, even though you had plenty of options to check EXACTLY what you bought, and NOBODY had lied to you about the contents? Sorry, no, you don't. If I go buy a cinema ticket and I dislike the movie, I really have ZERO right to complain. I could've watched trailers, read reviews, read boards etc, to find out if this was the kind of movie I, as an individual, would enjoy. If I didn't do that, that's MY problem, not the director's, not the cinema's and not the movie company's.
    Now, if NOBODY liked it, and EVERYBODY felt they were deceived by the ads etc, THEN you might have a case. However, that's certainly NOT the case here. This is just another case of the "entitlement generation" showing up and demanding that everything fits exactly into how THEY think the world should be.

    Time to grow up and realize that you won't always get your way and like everything that happens, and that's simply how life is.

    And yeah, I get that you're sad that you don't like the changes, but you're the minority group, based on what I'm seeing on my server, so either adapt to the changes like everybody else or go play something else. It's really not more than that. WoW made a change I couldn't deal with with the whole Panda-thing, and you know what, I haven't played it since. I also don't waste my time on their forums complaining about those changes, because that's, well, a complete waste of my time.
    This is a terrible post in so many ways. You know a post is bad when the very example the person uses to prove their point proves the opposite. The claim that you have zero right to complain about a bad movie because you could have seen previews and read reviews presupposes that reviews and previews will give you an accurate sense of what you will feel watching the movie. We all know this isn't true. How many times have you gotten excited by a preview only to be bored by the movie? How many times have you disagreed with the general consensus of reviews. It happens, depending upon your taste it might happen often. Reading about something is not the same as experiencing it. Period.

    And then there's the classic internet forum argument that everyone who disagrees with the poster is in the "minority" and therefor their opinion is not correct or should not be voiced. First, there's simply no support at all for the proposition that the OP is in the minority other than the fact that you hope it is so and your friends agree with you. Second, even if the OP is in the minority, being in the minority does not affect anyone's right to voice their opinion. It's funny that you capitalized the words "NOBODY" and "EVERYBODY" like somehow those words contain the key principles for when one can complain. In fact, they show the fallacy of your argument. EVERYBODY will never agree on anything. Rather than the OP demanding that things fit exactly the way they want them to be, it is you who are defining the parameters pursuant to which anyone is entitled to complain under any circumstance.

    From what I can see, there is certainly a lively debate on both sides as to whether this expansion is a positive thing or not. This is quite natural because it introduced a number of very different mechanics to a well-established product. Telling someone expressing their reservations in a reasonable way to "grow up" is just offensive. Is someone having an opinion different than yours really so hard to understand?

  8. #33
    Serious problems for me...

    Its not really challenging enough at the moment. (all content is walkover DPS is crazy, mobs have no challenge at most levels)

    There is a serious lack of actual rare stuff (armour, jewelery, rare elites, raid rewards etc stuff that make you feel special)

    Mess with some class changes (some work brilliant, other are botched half heartidly)

    PvMP needs someone to actually sit down and take a good long look at this (lots of people will come back if the right additions/changes are made)

    Old areas need new systems applying to them and revamps (NPC location system, rebuilding towns (hytbold but in archet? adso camp, trestlebridge? etc), wagon tech, big battles early on, Mounted combat, general polish etc)

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    There are far more "seats" available in the MMO space than there are self-described "gamers" to fill them, which is to say that there aren't enough gamers to keep all the MMOs alive. The result is that game companies are trying two tactics to solve the problem of "how do we get enough income to stay in business?" One tactic is to try to extract more money, on average, from each player. That's what is driving in-game accessible stores and pseudo-currencies that make people feel like they aren't spending "real" money. The other tactic is an effort to broaden the base of potential players. This is done by making the games playable by people who lack the dedication or experience to play a complex game. The so-called "dumbing down" that some people complain about.

    Until and unless there is a major weeding out of weaker game companies, both of these are the trends of the future.
    Yes, lots of dumbing down is happening in the MMO scene it seems. I think a lot of it is due to developers testing out new concepts and ideas and seeing if players will take to them. It kind of stinks to be the player in this kind of atmosphere... being treated sort of like guinea pigs instead of a loyal, valued customer. But I have high hopes for the long term future though, because there can only be so much dumbing down that can occur until players start to demand more challenge. And after enough guinea-pigging and testing have gone on, hopefully a new era of high-quality MMO's will emerge.... as long as the devs of tomorrow learn from the mistakes made by the devs of today.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambruin View Post
    but in an attempt to be mainstream and accessible they've (not only Turbine) deviated so far and wide from the original MMO mindset
    And that's not necessarily bad. But also there was no "original mindset" anyway. EQ had a style but it was NOT the only one by far. UO was vastly different, and kept experimenting (and making mistakes). There were other early MMOs too. MMOs even copied from earlier games.

    There was a time where one had to camp a spawn for days (Everquest anyone?). There was a time where quest were non-existant (Shadowbane anyone?). A time when griefing was almost obligatory if you wanted to keep up (Ultima Online?). Worlds accessible only if you paid the entry fee (subscription). Numbers by the dozen on every tab you opened. I can understand current generation MMOs want to stray from that path a bit, open the genre up to a broader audience thus increasing revenue. I'm simply wondering just how far one can stray before one has gone too far from the principle concept?
    And this is why the "original mindset" changed. The vast majority of players seem to hate this style. If MMOs want an audience then they need to make the game fun. Every single item you describe are items that many players despised. Camping was stupid and only occured because of the immense lack of imagination in early designers; griefing was a result of a huge mistake in UO (thinking that it could be self-policed by pvp players); subs were common but the new method is very nice (and saves money for everyone); the numbers were overkill in MMOs and perverting the "original mindeset" of RPGs. Who would want to promote those bad features in a new game?

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelethor View Post
    First lotro did nothing different from the last 2 expansions for you to feel different. IF one can tell that there is something different is that actually after RoI this is the first time that we get Instanced play along with the expansion. The last 2 years there were a lot of complains and "i want my money back" when instances where coming later. Didnt see anyone appreciate that this time we got them on time.
    Oh golly, they sure did do something different - namely they completely restructured the way you interact with the world. The class revamps are nothing short of erasing the memory and acquired skill-sets of 6+ year-long players and forcing them to learn to play a game they've been playing for 6+ years with half the skills. That's fun?

    I will not bother getting into a semantic discussion of what "instance" means. Suffice to say, there is a healthy segment of present and past LotRO players who do not view Epic Battles as anything resembling the instances they came to know and love. A veteran player should not need to learn to love a game they've been playing for so long...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelethor View Post
    Your second major problem is that you and maybe some other people rushed to go 95 in a day or a week. Your problem, not lotros. MY leader is still 86. Meaning that is like eating a chocolate very fast, ending it, now you want more as you see your fellow man still enjoying the first piece.
    Where your leader is at in the game has nothing to do with anyone other than your leader. You make a moot and completely irrelevant statement there.
    In the past, people would rush to level cap to begin acquiring the items needed to be better equipped for the end-game - where they wanted to be - where the game started for them. This is not yours to say - where people should want to be and what they should or shouldn't want to do.

    Whether there were instances waiting there for them or coming a couple-few months down the road is irrelevant. In the current iteration of the game, your itemization is completely irrelevant, as the end game is more about earning yet another set of skills to do things like load the ballistas faster, not fight, heal, tank or support. This is not the end-game lots of people anticipated and it is not the end game a healthy chunk will stick around for. Lots of players did not want another gimmick that will be abandoned after HD is a year-old memory...


    Quote Originally Posted by Pelethor View Post
    And what is the alternative? No increase to lvl cap? Or 95 more just to keep you busy? Or 10 new raids which again wouldnt be able to do since very few are 95 so far?
    The alternatives are limitless, really. The level cap is raised primarily in order to drive people to the Store. It's not my place to claim any fault in this on their part, as they are running a business, but it is my (and anyone's) place to choose to abstain from it. There are many many other games around that don't raise the level cap on a yearly basis, but rather modify itemization and other game systems to allow further progression. Many of these games are also quite successful in doing so. This system works easily as well as the artificial level-up system in that it still allows older content to be made easier with new items. But it is quite obvious that LotRO is no longer an MMORPG, so I guess there's no use in my making such comparisons. LotRO, with their 10-levels per year, completely invalidates the bulk of gear you spent the last year acquiring - and this obsolescence happens in as much time as it takes you to gain 4-5 levels.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelethor View Post
    So my advise for you is work your crafting, work the Big battles cause when the big mass hit 95 soon, you ll see groups. Better be ready for that. And if you cant find that enjoyable maybe try another game? Cheers.
    I think your last suggestion is probably the best, as you're naming the few available things for the OP to do at level-cap and my hunch is the OP doesn't care for that to be "end game". Just like many of us have decided running the 4th iteration of the School and Library sort of loses its luster after 4 years... and Sambrog is a name not to be uttered.
    [CENTER]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=White]The [/COLOR][/SIZE][URL="http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com"][SIZE=3][B]NOLDOR[/B][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=White] of Arkenstone[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren View Post
    it took about 25 hours of play...not really worth the £40, but there you go, I will chalk that one up.
    But that's not what the expansion is for necessarily; it's not just a group of linear quests (which HD is not, only the epic is linear). If you keep playing then you're getting more hours of play. Sure you may hate and despise epic battles but that's what you're really paying for, the repeatability of the content and not the play-it-once-and-be-done content.

    Yes, the new hybrid sub/f2p style still does not fit well with expansions. Expansions are a thing invented when everyone was required to spend lots of money on subscriptions. If you didn't have expansion on most MMOs you were typically locked out of the new zones, new level caps, new skills, new everything. Thus people did not buy expansions merely to do a sequence of quests, but instead to keep playing and seeing new content for another year or two. With the new system that sort of falls down. However there is still the need from the market to have an expansion; a sequence of smaller "updates" won't cut it because the market doesn't like that idea and instead wants to see something splashy. Certainly I'd personally like the style where we just get a new "book" every 6 months or so without an expansion, but I also know that I will never get the things I like in a game.

    The cost is iffy. If you are a subscriber then it's essentially free if you save up the TP. And note the people still fondly wishing that everyone was a subscriber only! The only people hurting are the premium players, wanting to play but not willing to subscribe during the year, but even in that case it costs less to buy the expansion than it costs to subscribe so it's still a win. I think you could get the expansion plus intermediate quest packs for about $50 a year which is not at all what I'd consider an expensive game; even cheaper if you wait for sales.

    So why do they still make expansions? Because players keep buying them with cash! Seriously, I have see quite a few players saying they were going to pay cash instead of TP because they wanted to support Turbine. Enough players that I'm wondering if I'm the world's biggest cheapskate by using TP instead. People even pre-order on the first day they can, even if they don't know the details of the expansion yet. And yet players don't solve that problem by using TP or playing cheaply, they instead seem to think that their only choices are to either pay full price or completely leave after leaving an angry post.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,724
    Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    They PAID for this rubbish, they are entitled to complain at what they see as a distinct lack of value for money.
    But why did they buy it without knowing what was there? Anyone doing a pre-order and not wanting the couple of extras was being premature. Everyone was given the logical choice of just waiting to see what was in the package. They could have waited until NDA was lifted and *still* have gotten the pre-order fluff bonuses. Or wait until after the game was released as well (you still get the hauberk even if you use TP to buy it). Everyone had an opportunity to find out if it was rubbish or not before purchase.

    As for the value, it seems a lot more fun than Rohan so far.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    unknown
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    Anyone doing a pre-order and not wanting the couple of extras was being premature
    Maybe they had fate in turbine to deliver a decent expansion that they would enjoy?

    When Episode I launched I went to the midnight premiere because I loved the first three films and I was convinced that george would make a whole new epic sage ... Guess how I felt when I watched a film filled with so much cgi I wasn't even sure if it had any real persons in it. But I'm a fan at heart and that's what fans do: show support and waving with their wallets.

    Question is: How many players will stick around after they paid over 40$ for something they didn't like? You think all these unhappy people will blindly buy the next expansion with tons of other mmos out there?
    What kept Lotro going was its playerbase, but for some reason we're no longer good enough for them as they seem to design content for anyone but the people who have played this game for years.

    What we got with helms deep was the hitchhikers guide how to kill a mmo.

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren View Post
    2. Crafting material icons for tier 9 exactly the same as tier 8......the fact that someone actually made a decision to do this beggars belief, and brings your wider QA and supervision into question
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who's a bit bothered by this either!
    I DO... wish they had changed the icon images for all tier 9 crafting items too! My main toon is a tailor, and when I turn a couple of smaller hides into the bigger, slightly more superior versions, I find it somwewhat confusing trying to work out which crafting stuff is from tier 8, and which are from tier 9. Sheeesh!
    Bigger and smaller versions from both tiers are still the same anyway. But personally, it feels like Turbine have been a bit lazy here and not even bothered to create, or even come up with new crafting icons! It would have been more easier to work out the difference between tier 8 and tier 9 then! :-/

    Here's hoping they just might change them in future. *sigh!*

  16. #41

    Post

    It's obvious that WB has allocated LoTRO to the backburner. Maximum profit from minimal investment.

    I don't mean to insult Turbine, though. I'm sure the devs left working on LoTRO work as hard as they can (and I always admire and appreciate that). But there's only so much they can do when they receive less and less resources and time. I haven't played LoTRO since shortly after RoR and HD has killed any desire for me to return to a game I've played and loved since launch. I'm not knocking Turbine at all. I think Turbine is a very talented and hardworking studio (Mines of Moria is the greatest expansion in MMO history). But like I said it's just painfully obvious that LoTRO is not the main focus anymore. I hope this at least means Turbine is at work on a new MMO- I'd be ecstatic if they wind up announcing Asheron's Call 3 or something like that. But as far as LoTRO, it's time for me to finally move on. I got to beta test Elderscrolls Online this weekend and it had a sense of magic and excitement to me that I had with LoTRO back in 2007. This isn't a "rage quit", it's just the facts. I don't regret any time spent with LoTRO- providing 6 years worth of entertainment is a pretty damn good job.

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpa View Post
    Oh golly, they sure did do something different - namely they completely restructured the way you interact with the world. The class revamps are nothing short of erasing the memory and acquired skill-sets of 6+ year-long players and forcing them to learn to play a game they've been playing for 6+ years with half the skills. That's fun?
    In all fairness, players aren't being forced to learn a game they've been playing for many years, simply because there isn't much to learn, just hit any key that is off cool down. Sure, maybe one's rotation can be optimized by studying the effects and experimenting on the training dummies, but what difference does it make? Things still die without much damage to your character.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart06 View Post
    It's obvious that WB has allocated LoTRO to the backburner. Maximum profit from minimal investment.

    I don't mean to insult Turbine, though. I'm sure the devs left working on LoTRO work as hard as they can (and I always admire and appreciate that). But there's only so much they can do when they receive less and less resources and time. I haven't played LoTRO since shortly after RoR and HD has killed any desire for me to return to a game I've played and loved since launch. I'm not knocking Turbine at all. I think Turbine is a very talented and hardworking studio (Mines of Moria is the greatest expansion in MMO history). But like I said it's just painfully obvious that LoTRO is not the main focus anymore. I hope this at least means Turbine is at work on a new MMO- I'd be ecstatic if they wind up announcing Asheron's Call 3 or something like that. But as far as LoTRO, it's time for me to finally move on. I got to beta test Elderscrolls Online this weekend and it had a sense of magic and excitement to me that I had with LoTRO back in 2007. This isn't a "rage quit", it's just the facts. I don't regret any time spent with LoTRO- providing 6 years worth of entertainment is a pretty damn good job.
    This could well be the current status. I remember being there for the long slow decline of EverQuest as resources dwindled, xpacs had less features, old content was not tuned for new systems and small bugs remained un-squished for an age. I still had a lot of fun for a long time and there was just enough in each expansion to keep me there for years.

    Until LOTRO came along. I played both for a bit then came here as my main MMO. I am still having fun here and have some hope that I can continue to do so for a few years yet.

    As an MMO junkie I will also check out ESO at some stage.
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderZtorm View Post
    So the second you pay for something, you are entitled to complain, even though you had plenty of options to check EXACTLY what you bought, and NOBODY had lied to you about the contents? Sorry, no, you don't. If I go buy a cinema ticket and I dislike the movie, I really have ZERO right to complain. I could've watched trailers, read reviews, read boards etc, to find out if this was the kind of movie I, as an individual, would enjoy. If I didn't do that, that's MY problem, not the director's, not the cinema's and not the movie company's.
    Now, if NOBODY liked it, and EVERYBODY felt they were deceived by the ads etc, THEN you might have a case. However, that's certainly NOT the case here. This is just another case of the "entitlement generation" showing up and demanding that everything fits exactly into how THEY think the world should be.

    Time to grow up and realize that you won't always get your way and like everything that happens, and that's simply how life is.

    And yeah, I get that you're sad that you don't like the changes, but you're the minority group, based on what I'm seeing on my server, so either adapt to the changes like everybody else or go play something else. It's really not more than that. WoW made a change I couldn't deal with with the whole Panda-thing, and you know what, I haven't played it since. I also don't waste my time on their forums complaining about those changes, because that's, well, a complete waste of my time.
    Playing and enjoying something isn't any more valid a way to spend time than complaining about it for catharsis. You're just killing time, just like complainers. And that's ignoring the numerous things that complaining has changed in this game for the better over the years.

    Sorry, but if you're making "getting annoyed at complainers" your problem, it's YOUR problem. I get that you're trying to pretend to be mature, but you're falling short of convincing. Some of the most vocal complainers I've heard were far too old for the "entitlement generation" even when the game was new almost 7 years ago. But it's very easy to see how far the game has fallen with that kind of perspective. Sure, we could walk away quietly, but for those of us, there's no forgetting how good the game used to be, and we'll keep coming back occasionally even if it's just for nostalgia.

    Now stop wasting your time on a forum complaining about complaining. You must see how that's even more of a waste of time than complaining about the game itself, right?
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

  20. #45
    I dislike HD more and more as each day goes by. I would think that I would get used to it or something, but playing this game has become a chore. I'd rather not quit, and prefer to keep complaining in the hopes that Turbine will listen.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by AtonuTragona View Post
    I dislike HD more and more as each day goes by. I would think that I would get used to it or something, but playing this game has become a chore. I'd rather not quit, and prefer to keep complaining in the hopes that Turbine will listen.
    I hope that you have a post that gives a bit more information than this one - if so might be worth editing to include a link.
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

  22. #47
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Namesse View Post
    In all fairness, players aren't being forced to learn a game they've been playing for many years, simply because there isn't much to learn, just hit any key that is off cool down. Sure, maybe one's rotation can be optimized by studying the effects and experimenting on the training dummies, but what difference does it make? Things still die without much damage to your character.
    It is demotivating, regardless of the fact that you can blow and things fall over. I understand the accessibility gains for the new player, but I have to take issue with someone saying nothing has changed in this expac from the last two. IMO, HD brings the biggest changes ever from the bottom-up. Better or worse is ultimately no matter, since I gather they don't really care what certain player niches think - and if they do care, they have a strange way of showing it. Love it or leave it seems to be the take-home message from most Beta reports. If you want challenge in the traditional sense in which they used to offer it, you're basically out of luck. I guess that makes the decision of to play or not to play kind of easy for some people.

    I assume they may tune things to be less silly-easy, but who knows? It's ironic, though, that they decide to revamp combat when you're still partaking of mounted combat lots of the time and Epic Battles don't seem to require much in the way of traditional combat, either. Perplexing, really.
    [CENTER]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=White]The [/COLOR][/SIZE][URL="http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com"][SIZE=3][B]NOLDOR[/B][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=1][COLOR=White] of Arkenstone[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

  23. #48
    Funny how most people when talking about a great expansion are actually referring to the quantity of raids released with it. This is true of Moria where the high number of group raids are mentioned time and time again. Never really heard much about the "this quest or that quest" experience much when they came to praising a particular expansion. When a new expansion comes along, yes I will grant that it has become much more on-rails than it has been in the past. I like the tie-in with a greater overall story, but feel there should be some more solo and group side-quests that can be found throughout the new zones, as this may be one part of the solution.

    And we all know by now that the premise of this MMO is that you get a quest, complete it, click some attack skills here and there, get some loot, and repeat all over again. We all know this is what you get when a new expansion comes out. The devs cannot really change the format too much because we are jaded over this aging system. They did try and break the mould somewhat with Epic Battles, but after the first play through will fail to hold my attention much beyond that for repeat playthroughs. And to talk about wanting more group end-raids, I'm sure more people would get on board if the reward wasn't some measly 3 Seals that requires you to run 150+ raid instances to get one piece of some endgame loot.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWalker View Post
    Funny how most people when talking about a great expansion are actually referring to the quantity of raids released with it. This is true of Moria where the high number of group raids are mentioned time and time again. Never really heard much about the "this quest or that quest" experience much when they came to praising a particular expansion.
    I think that when people mention Moria, they're thinking of the size of it, the quantity and quality of the quests, the great visual design, the atmosphere, the exploration, and the feeling of a place that has a deep, mysterious history in a way that matches Tolkien's writings quite well.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Taravith View Post
    I think that when people mention Moria, they're thinking of the size of it, the quantity and quality of the quests, the great visual design, the atmosphere, the exploration, and the feeling of a place that has a deep, mysterious history in a way that matches Tolkien's writings quite well.
    Actually when I mention Moria it's because of the Watcher and DN and the turtle, plus there are a number of really interesting and unique instances to run. The exploration rather annoyed me because with all the levels of the zone it was hard to follow the map and I'm directionally challenged as it is. Probably why I can find my way around Shadowed Refuge perfectly - it's so convoluted it makes sense to someone as backwards directionally as I am.

    I'm a Tolkien fan, but that had nothing to do with why I loved Moria.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN: Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10 + alts CRICKHOLLOW: Moochy, 21 Minstrel

 

 
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload