We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Helm's Dike - A Stone Obstruction

Any tips on this one?

I clicked on the archers above the gate, and told them to fire as often as I could. But the goblins easily got to 5/5 stones way before I could kill 15 of them.
    [CENTER] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/mosby/"][COLOR=cyan]Mosby[/COLOR][/URL], Founder of [URL="http://www.thepalantiri.net"][COLOR=gold]The Palantíri[/COLOR][/URL] kinship (Landroval) - [URL="http://lotro-charts.tumblr.com/"]LotRO Charts Tumblr[/URL] - [URL="https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Translations"]Runes & Translations[/URL]

[COLOR=Silver][I]As glides in seas the shark, Rides Mosby through green dark.[/I] -Melville[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

There are 3 archers in total, one right above the gate and two more at those areas to the left and right of the gate area. You are supposed to run rounds between the 3 archers, ordering them to fire when their "fire" cooldown is finished, while at the same time protecting them from uruks that break through the defenses and charge at them.

It's relatively easy in principle. If you time it well, it goes something like "Run to Guard A -> Fire -> Run to Guard B -> Fire -> Guard C -> Fire -> Guard B again -> Fire -> Guard A" etc etc. But sometimes the defenses completely bug out (at least, that's what I think happens; sudden incompetence to intercept uruks is also a probability) leading to at least 10 enemies taking shots at the archers and you struggling to DPS them while the rohirrim soldiers just STAND THERE (that's really what they do; if they leave the barricade area and try to attack those that have made it through, sometimes they just stand there without attacking at all).
    [url]www.ragequit.gr[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthrone View Post
    and you struggling to DPS them while the rohirrim soldiers just STAND THERE (that's really what they do; if they leave the barricade area and try to attack those that have made it through, sometimes they just stand there without attacking at all).
    I get this a lot, it seems so pointless to even try learn this big battle thing when so little of it is intuitive. 5th try on Dike and while I do finish it over and over, reward is of course very poor and none of it feels...smooth. This must have been first created and tested extensively, then beta tested over and over both closed and open.

I've never finished this with less than a Platinum rank since beta round 4. Right click the archer in the middle of the bridge over that gate. Tell him to fire. Run to the East and tell that archer to fire (by the map out). Run back to the 1st archer. Unless you have a run speed buff, he will be ready to fire as you get there. Tell him to fire and run back to the eastern archer. Repeat until finished.

This quest makes this big battle so broken for solo. It always messes up the soldier formations in the first dike on the western side and 1-2 mobs will continuously stream towards the main gate. I have had berserkers get stuck on the rocks and they cannot be killed as a melee, as well as get bugged into the water, and appear on top of the gate. It ends up being an annoying exchange of chasing after mobs and returning to the dike only to see more stream through. And as others have mentioned, soldiers will stop attacking outside of the dike yet still be targets for new enemies streaming in. The first dike I did started on the eastern side and I did not have this quest. Every solo dike since has started on the western side with this side quest as the first. I will use some of the tips in this thread tomorrow to see if I can even medal this particular side quest (since apparently it's 100% chance to start first) but if the AI still gets messed up, it really needs to be disabled until it's fixed. How about let the flames at the gate quest spawn first and the stables as one that can spawn in the last wave? Extremely upsetting instance.

On a side note, I did helm's dike fellowship and the waves started on the eastern side, which resulted in actual good experience since this quest was not in it.

Quote Originally Posted by PerinStone View Post
    I've never finished this with less than a Platinum rank since beta round 4. Right click the archer in the middle of the bridge over that gate. Tell him to fire. Run to the East and tell that archer to fire (by the map out). Run back to the 1st archer. Unless you have a run speed buff, he will be ready to fire as you get there. Tell him to fire and run back to the eastern archer. Repeat until finished.
    They have changed the CD of archers in U14; I did it today and I failed Platinum for the first time ! (since I'm R3+ to place barricades)
    A failure without reason, I just ran from one archer to another as usually and I got Gold only at end
    (so Gold only too for the whole BB)
    Last edited by Castorix; Aug 12 2014 at 07:39 AM.

Psst, if you are two-manning this (or if you have your defenses well set up (lots of barricades inner west side, commander to two handed, buffs up), set up a ballista next to the eastern archer- you can take out the dunlendings two at a time with one shot with the ballista.
    ~Rank 11 Loremaster, Landroval~

~Rank 12 Warg, Landroval~

This is one of several side-quests where a run-speed buff comes in handy -- I've got some stockpiled from hobbit presents, or you can have a cook make you coffee if you don't have those (or if you are a hunter, make sure your hunter run buff is on...). That will get you around to hit the archers faster, so you don't have them sitting around ready to fire waiting for you.

As with a lot of sidequests, a med or high level engineer also helps -- spend some time before the side quest comes up pre-arranging barricades on the path up that the enemies are going to take where they come up to attack the archers and damage-upgrading them; archers stop attacking when in combat, so even if you aren't actually losing the archers, you are losing their shots anytime a dunlending or orc gets all the way up and engages them, so it is important that you slow them down and are able to kill them off quickly. Even better is if you've been able to run a catapult on that lane beforehand and remove the normal waves of orcs that were coming up on that side (probably requires high enough engineer level that you're dropping triple shot on them), so that by the time the sidequest starts, the rohirrim on that side have nothing to do but help you kill the people trying to mess up your sidequest.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyGazebo View Post
    This is one of several side-quests where a run-speed buff comes in handy -- I've got some stockpiled from hobbit presents, or you can have a cook make you coffee if you don't have those (or if you are a hunter, make sure your hunter run buff is on...). That will get you around to hit the archers faster, so you don't have them sitting around ready to fire waiting for you.
    In fact now I must use my horse from the 3rd archer to skip the 2nd one, otherwise I fail (even with the +50% speed skill of my Guardian)
    And once, I had just clicked on the 2 first archers and 1 stone had already been set
    Last edited by Castorix; Aug 18 2014 at 08:17 AM.

Hello, sadly my post cannot refer to duo version of the helms deep big battle but to the 6 man one si my thought about duo version may be inaccurate .

Since they changed the archers CD i started to fail many times this sidequest till i started to use a catapult with 3 shot in line that fire continuosly so i am almost able to manage the 6 man quest alone with it , this tactic should be usable also in duo version too
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/nzknxz.jpg[/IMG]
    [/CENTER]

Remember that the "solo" version is in fact intended for TWO people. If you are running with 2, one person will handle the archer on the bridge and the one on the east side of the bridge, whilst the other handles the one on the left side of the bridge and the adds that come up the west side near lane. The adds that come up the east side near lane are easily dealt with by the soldiers since they are not contending with normal mobs coming up as well.

If you insist on running this by yourself, you should of course have barricades etc. set up in such a way to ensure that any of the adds that come up the west near lane are dealt with before reaching the archer. You should also consider having a vanguard build solely for the +30% run buff you can get from there which will help with doing the rounds and making sure the archers are all firing with minimal idle time.
    Wulfhram (Hunter), Boborrin (Champ), Garrth (Captain) assorted others

I do this daily, platinum, solo, via two different methods depending on mood. In both cases, four damaging barricades pretty much prevent any attacks on the archers assuming both nearest fronts set to two-handed.

1. Lazy way, pre-build a catapult by where the western archer will be. When the quest comes up, do not click the archer to fire too soon! Wait until he reports "another wave approaches", as this is the first wave. Activate the archer, fire your catapult at the walkers. Voilà, two dead. Repeat eight times.

2. Busier way. Have range of commanding things increased in Officer mode. Activate an archer at one end, you don't need to be near the archer, not on the platform with the increased range of giving commands. Activate the one in the middle. Activate the one at the far end (note you will run into range if you are too far away, so don't waste time getting too close). Mount up. Ride back to first one. Rinse and repeat.

Either way will result in platinum.

There is a slight chance a MOB will make it past the four barricades up to the westernmost archer. You have three options. 1, simply kill any. 2, midway through, hasten and increase damage of nearest commander on that side (is in range of your regular circuit). 3, drop a tripwire there. The last is what I do when using the catapult on stone carriers.

PS: Note, if you have your draw radius reduced, you might not be able to see the stone carriers. If you use the catapult, depending on aiming and choice of shot, you will likely take out regular MOBs before they attack as well, nicely speeding up the Battle. If you don't prepare before the Battle and are behind, you might not want to do this as The Statue of Helm Hammerhand will come sooner.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

One advice to those who struggle with this quest while having 100+ promotion points:

Make an officer build (just when you know that this quest will start soon) with several ranks into the Order Distance trait. 3 ranks feel great already, 4 makes the quest trivial. You don't need to mount or to use speed buff, just run from one edge of the bridge to another and you will always be able to reach the archers on the sides . You will even have enough time and range to give orders to one of the commanders in the near west.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Lunasa - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by Lunasa View Post
    One advice to those who struggle with this quest while having 100+ promotion points:

Make an officer build (just when you know that this quest will start soon) with several ranks into the Order Distance trait. 3 ranks feel great already, 4 makes the quest trivial. You don't need to mount or to use speed buff, just run from one edge of the bridge to another and you will always be able to reach the archers on the sides . You will even have enough time and range to give orders to one of the commanders in the near west.
    Oh, that's a great idea! I never thought to use that trait for this sidequest!

i did duo version and it's the same of 6 man , this quest is easily doable eith catapult :

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Anolus View Post
    i did duo version and it's the same of 6 man , this quest is easily doable eith catapult :
    Then you must find the exact target location, because I tried to position it like in your picture and I completely failed
    The catapult hardly decreased half of their morale !
    Last edited by Castorix; Aug 18 2014 at 01:01 PM.

I use a catapult on the other side, with horizontal three-shot instead of vertical shot. This allows you to see the walkers before they reach the target area, and provides a more broad range of targeting as they don't cross it at an angle for limited shot time window, but walk along it, meaning you can be quite a bit of time off and still get them, you also have the archer right next to you for insurance, and in case an errant MOB slips past the four barricades from the nearby front, a tripwire protecting him.

PS: As I mentioned in my previous response I believe, this also gets some of the MOBs running up to that front, speeding up the entire Battle/wave.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by Castorix View Post
    Then you must find the exact target location, because I tried to position it like in your picture and I completely failed
    The catapult hardly decreased half of their morale !
    Did you upgrade damage for catapult ? i am usual to see all dundelings dying when ballista shot hit them, maybe it's because the archer next me damage them too ( i always click its skill asap )
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Anolus View Post
    Did you upgrade damage for catapult ? i am usual to see all dundelings dying when ballista shot hit them, maybe it's because the archer next me damage them too ( i always click its skill asap )
    Yes, like for the catapults I use for "Flames at the Gate" which destroy the war marchine in a few seconds; maybe I should try with a ballista instead or with a horizontal three-shot as RJFerret said...
    Last edited by Castorix; Aug 19 2014 at 04:49 AM.

One thing I noticed after reading others input here is it helps to have the walkers toward the center of the targeting reticule for full damage. Today I setup the cat as usual, but the first shot didn't outright kill both walkers, just one of them (the archer finally got the other). *blinks. I turned the catapult one click to the right, which brings the furthest left of the spread shot out a bit more, now the walkers where headed directly to the center of it. I clicked to fire when they were just at the edge, which resulted in a hit when they had gotten to the center and from then on, all walkers in each wave were killed with one shot.

(This is with damage upgraded, no powders.)

PS: I don't find it useful to click the archer asap, I wait until the "next wave is approaching" is announced, then they are in sync with the walkers, and they seem to be more effective.

Hmm. Seems like they have changed things since lately (last time I did BB's was before Fangorn update), as I don't remember "another wave approaches" -messages. Anyway, what I did earlier (and that usually resulted in platinum) in solo version was to build at least two, if not three barricaeds to western entrance, one after another (one of them I build at the corner where soldiers are standing anyway), all of them with damage upgrades. Rank 5 needed for that though. If you don't have speed buff, you didn't use tho have time to be on time to click all three archers just when they are ready to shoot again, so after I initially ordered all three to shoot, after that I only focused on central archer and the westernmost archer, also making sure that no orcs / dunlendings run past your barricades to attack archers. Usually those barricades take care of mobs, as they always come from western side only (at least they used to).

Quote Originally Posted by Gilean-EU View Post
    Hmm. Seems like they have changed things since lately (last time I did BB's was before Fangorn update), as I don't remember "another wave approaches" -messages. Anyway, what I did earlier (and that usually resulted in platinum) in solo version was to build at least two, if not three barricaeds to western entrance, one after another (one of them I build at the corner where soldiers are standing anyway), all of them with damage upgrades. Rank 5 needed for that though. If you don't have speed buff, you didn't use tho have time to be on time to click all three archers just when they are ready to shoot again, so after I initially ordered all three to shoot, after that I only focused on central archer and the westernmost archer, also making sure that no orcs / dunlendings run past your barricades to attack archers. Usually those barricades take care of mobs, as they always come from western side only (at least they used to).
    As we said in posts above, the CD of archers has changed, that's why you won't get Platinum 3/4 times if you do like before U14...