We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Respectfully request explanation of chest costs

May we please have an explanation of the reasoning behind the house chest upgrade costs? Perhaps if we were privy to the rationale behind the decision, it would not be such a bitter pill to swallow. I am certain it was not just an arbitrary number someone plunked down, there had to be a discussion about it at some point. Could we please hear from a dev on this? Not so we can argue, just maybe to settle some hurt bewilderment. It was such a shock.

I'm sorry I missed this question.

I think Fredelas suggested the pricelevel. Oh I now totally stole Sapience's thunder on that

Okay, a more serious answer? The pricelevel was discussed with the Player Council. The ultimate decision was made by Turbine. As the chests are sheer convenience, and the prices of that seem to be rising lately, the pricelevel does not amaze me.

From my perspective, Turbine is shifting focus with the pricing of their more luxurious convenience items towards the 'whale' portion of LOTRO players. They expect this is the direction that will result in the highest mithril coin spendage. The number of sold chests is not nearly as important as how many mithril coins are brought in.

Personally, I think this direction is nice on a short term, but in the long run can make the Store look so unattractive to smaller spenders that it becomes a negative factor. I don't want this game's store to become like that overpriced boutique where only the rich and famous come and spend.

I'll set aside the specific costs of the upgrades for a second and take on the larger issue of the cost increases.

The in-game economy has been dramatically changed since housing was rolled out way back when. Players are much wealthier and have the ability to attain sums of coin much faster than in those early days. Housing to some degree is suppose to be a gold sink, but has long lost that functionality, in that the costs of chests long-since stopped being significant. So in as much as the costs did rise, it's still a once-off purchase. It gets less expensive the longer you average it over, akin to a Lifer sub. That's how I see the increased storage costs.

What I'd personally prefer is having storage upgrades purchasable with gold all the way to the highest tiers (not to the exclusion of TP/MC, but in addition to). But as much as the upgrades cost, it still diminishes over time. If you really wanted to make it a gold sink, you'd increase the upkeep costs, but the effects of that are on an ongoing basis, rather than a once off.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#C2C2A3][B]ArcticAurora [/B][COLOR=#999966]95 S/B Guard[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ffffff][B]//[/B][/COLOR] [B]Pavello[/B] [COLOR=#999966]95 OP Guard[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ffffff][B]//[/B][/COLOR] [B]Canadian[/B] [COLOR=#999966]95 Capt[/COLOR] ... [SIZE=1]et alts[/SIZE] [/COLOR]
    [B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#C2C2A3]2013 Player Councillor[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [B]//[/B] [SIZE=2][COLOR=#C2C2A3]Rich people would rebuild the Bridge of Khazad-Dûm. Wealthy players fill the great chasm with gold.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [IMG]http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq163/dsrtfx207/rich_zps70199bf0.jpg[/IMG]
    [/CENTER]

The recent change to Housing Storage was a blow. Instead of adding chests you now have to pay hefty incremental amounts for each 15 slots. I have more storage in a deluxe house than I do a kinship house because I'm not ready to spend 125 Gold to go from 45 to 60 slots. After that, I believe Mithril Coins are the only way to acquire more slots, and 100 M.Coins for 15 spaces just seems a little pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwenemairth View Post
    May we please have an explanation of the reasoning behind the house chest upgrade costs? Perhaps if we were privy to the rationale behind the decision, it would not be such a bitter pill to swallow. I am certain it was not just an arbitrary number someone plunked down, there had to be a discussion about it at some point. Could we please hear from a dev on this? Not so we can argue, just maybe to settle some hurt bewilderment. It was such a shock.
    I don't know exactly how large an effect permitting every player to have a larger and larger stash of items has on the database and management of game resources, but I wager it is significant enough to warrant discouraging most players (especially f2p) from keeping so many items. I would guess that is why even the initial gold costs are so high - not as a gold sink - but to limit how many items LOTRO needs to maintain. And as others have noted, as a f2p game which needs to make money, selling extra space is a way to go that does not impact game balance. As for the price itself, it's a matter of demand vs supply (as measured by the feasibility of maintaining so many more items in the database).

I'm a pack rat so I sympathize with anyone who has storage issues but database management and the need to make money in a f2p game are two really good reasons for the pricing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000105d2/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Poorly done

I'm not sure that the player council and Turbine rationalizing will make players any happier. I just bought our kinship house today and was deeply disappointed that the storage extortion was not clearly explained before I forked over the gold. We use chest space for our crafters' supply so we can better serve our members with crafted items. This is not a money making effort on the crafters part and they give up their own storage to serve their kinmates. The space in the kinhouse would have taken a major part of the load off of them but now that is not possible. What began as an experiment of communal support will falter not due to the greed of the players but shortsightedness of the player council and turbine.

The lack of effort to make this sorry situation abundantly clear to potential kinship house purchasers eliminates any objectivity on my part to understand the need for doing so. Fine job one and all.

The high cost of increasing chest space in our kinship house was a surprise. We quickly maxed out the space available using gold coins. We spent 100 MC for a final upgrade, but refuse to go beyond that. As in Bravos's case, we use the storage primarily to aid our crafters, though we do store some healing potions for our lower level members. The limited space forces us to periodically clear out any unused items and limit the number of items available. Due to the limited number of chests, which I have no problem with, we store some items at member's houses just to keep everything reasonably organized.