We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

HDMI sound issues

Any one playing this on the Mac with a HDMI adapter to a receiver? I am running it on an i7 MBP with a MonoPrice HDMI adapter to a Denon receiver and then to a monitor. While iTunes, YouTube, etc. play fine through it, when I tried the LOTRO Mac client, the sound was completely messed up from the intro movie throughout character creation. I just unplugged the adapter a stuck with the built-in speakers for now. While it is near impossible to diagnose HDMI issues, it would be nice if the client gave me the option to use the internal speakers instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimango View Post
    Any one playing this on the Mac with a HDMI adapter to a receiver? I am running it on an i7 MBP with a MonoPrice HDMI adapter to a Denon receiver and then to a monitor. While iTunes, YouTube, etc. play fine through it, when I tried the LOTRO Mac client, the sound was completely messed up from the intro movie throughout character creation. I just unplugged the adapter a stuck with the built-in speakers for now. While it is near impossible to diagnose HDMI issues, it would be nice if the client gave me the option to use the internal speakers instead.
    I would assume this is similar to the Mumble problem...

Namely you need to use the "System Preferences /Sound" panel to switch sound output sources. (and, in the case of Mumble, input as well.)

You can also use "Applications/Utilities Audio MIDI Setupp.app" to fiddle with sound issues.

Interestingly, I just got a new iPad Air and the AnkMorpork app notes that people have similar sound problems, which implies that it is an issue relating to Apple's Core Audio -- which all 3 (Mumble, LOTRO, AnkMorpork) use!

(I'm running Mavericks 10.9 on an iMac and don't currently have any HDMI connections.)
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Yes, it does seem to use whatever audio is selected in the system preferences as I was able to use AirPlay on another device and get the audio from LOTRO which was fine. It just seems to be HDMI. I suspect it is due to the audio device supporting multiple channels - I do not think AirPlay supports multi-channel.

I know WoW works fine with HDMI on my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimango View Post
    Yes, it does seem to use whatever audio is selected in the system preferences as I was able to use AirPlay on another device and get the audio from LOTRO which was fine. It just seems to be HDMI. I suspect it is due to the audio device supporting multiple channels - I do not think AirPlay supports multi-channel.

I know WoW works fine with HDMI on my machine.
    Sounds like an issue with the HDMI support in Mavericks... I don't know squat about "Core Audio" so I can't begin to guess why multi-channel would NOT work via HDMI, but then I don't know what that spec implies.

This article might give some insight: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio...hda-guide.html

If you google "HDMI support in mavericks" you get a surprisingly large number of hits.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Well, I was not running Mavericks before. However, either the latest client patch or the fact that I upgraded to Mavericks seems to have fixed the HDMI audio problem. Glad I was able to get it working, LOTRO has some very nice surround effects. I like how the music by the elf starting area rotates around while you rotate your character.