We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

As a beginner in HD - this battle skirmish thing is very confusing

I have done the tutorial but still no idea what the initial big battle needs. There's no speed, no instruction and what appears to be vague and random stuff happening in places that can't be readily discerned. Something is at central gate - I run around, climb ropes, look for clues and suddenly a few minutes later it says the gate is taking damage. Whut?

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    I have done the tutorial but still no idea what the initial big battle needs. There's no speed, no instruction and what appears to be vague and random stuff happening in places that can't be readily discerned. Something is at central gate - I run around, climb ropes, look for clues and suddenly a few minutes later it says the gate is taking damage. Whut?
    Yes, the first time in a Big Battle is very confusing. For Helm's Dike, there are 3 areas, east of the gate, west of the gate and the center.

You're talking about an optional quest right now, though I know it sure doesn't look optional. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the gate is taking damage because the archers up on the wall aren't firing on them. They're a bit dim, so you have to run to each archer and tell them to keep firing by using the archer and clicking the Fire command. If it's the quest where the archers are telling you they are out of arrows, look around for some arrows on the ground (typically nearby, these guys are DIM), pick them up, and run to the Archer.

You really won't know what each big battle means until you get experience with the general ebb and flow of the fight, and the different optional encounters that can come up. There are some where you need to Use the Rope to get down; mostly to prevent the orcs from killing the horses or from blowing up the barriers down there. But not all the ones involving the gate mean that you need to get yourself down there.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>