We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by WindDancer13 View Post
    LOL, I have never bought Mitheril. I am still using the ones I received for worthless stuff when they made the original switch.
    Not only have I never bought Mithril Coins, I haven't spent any from the conversion either. It's a ridiculous gimmick to veil the true cost of items. Turbine could have just as easily priced everything in-game in TP. It's also very inconsistent that they have vault storage for TP but house chests storage for MC. I guess their goal is to get everyone to buy and spend MC eventually. Forget it.

The mitheral I had went poof in a mistaken button click with no conformation. The other reason I wont be buying any. It just looks to me like Turbine wants you to oops spend your mitheral so they can sell you more.

Quote Originally Posted by Herellomar View Post

You both do realize that if 10 bank slots normally costs 695 Turbine points that you spend about 1,043 points for 15 slots, yes?

You can buy up to 60 chest slots for gold. Beyond that will cost Mithril coins I believe. Keep in mind that the original limit on storage in housing chests previously was 30 (for regular houses) and 60 (for deluxe houses). For regular house owners, this is a step up, except for the higher cost in in-game money to unlock chest space.
    You do realize that if something is sold via Mithril coins that it cannot go on sale? There are regular sales for Shared Storage which is bought (currently) with TP after the gold upgrades are done.

I have four accounts--one VIP and three premium with all the expansions (except HD yet)--so I have four houses and two kinship houses. All of them had the maximum number of chests. Combining all the chests into one does not give me the ability to upgrade any chests for gold as they are now already at 60/90. If I want extra room, I will have to pay a minimum of 850 TP for each chest I want to upgrade.

Hmmm, I could just create a couple of new accounts and buy some new houses with level 60 chests (all for gold, mind you) and bypass the high price of upgrading chests. LOL, that would also give me a place for all that extra furniture that is now sitting in chests waiting for changes in the hook system. Wow, I could even buy the cheaper houses as those chests will upgrade the same as the deluxe. Cool! I am saving money (game and RL) with this change. Thanks Turbine!

Don't mind me...just thinking out loud. = )

You do realize that if something is sold via Mithril coins that it cannot go on sale? There are regular sales for Shared Storage which is bought (currently) with TP after the gold upgrades are done.

I have four accounts--one VIP and three premium with all the expansions (except HD yet)--so I have four houses and two kinship houses. All of them had the maximum number of chests. Combining all the chests into one does not give me the ability to upgrade any chests for gold as they are now already at 60/90. If I want extra room, I will have to pay a minimum of 850 TP for each chest I want to upgrade.

Hmmm, I could just create a couple of new accounts and buy some new houses with level 60 chests (all for gold, mind you) and bypass the high price of upgrading chests. LOL, that would also give me a place for all that extra furniture that is now sitting in chests waiting for changes in the hook system. Wow, I could even buy the cheaper houses as those chests will upgrade the same as the deluxe. Cool! I am saving money (game and RL) with this change. Thanks Turbine!

Don't mind me...just thinking out loud. = )
    Mithril coins are the most blatant cash grab I've seen in LotRO to date. Buying virtual currency with virtual currency in order to further disassociate the purchase with the original exchange of real money. Luckily I have no need for anything purchased with them so won't be buying any.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlineJunkie View Post
    Not only have I never bought Mithril Coins, I haven't spent any from the conversion either. It's a ridiculous gimmick to veil the true cost of items. Turbine could have just as easily priced everything in-game in TP. It's also very inconsistent that they have vault storage for TP but house chests storage for MC. I guess their goal is to get everyone to buy and spend MC eventually. Forget it.
    They are counting on the major disconnect that many people now have regarding money. Many people do not connect the dots between real cash and credit card spending. Hence, the huge amount of credit card indebtedness in the U.S. (cannot speak for other countries). They are also pandering to our need for instant gratification. You see an item at Laila's and have to have it right now! You look at the price in Mitril Coins. Hey, only 25 MC...Cool! Buy it! The disconnect comes in not understanding that the price is actually 250 TP or about $3.50 RL cash (seems small now, but it adds up).

The ridiculousness of purchasing virtual currency for real money...then exchanging virtual currency for ANOTHER in-game virtual currency so you can buy something, is pretty much just an elaborate cover for getting you to spend extra money.

Especially when you look and see Mithril Coin versions of things that are more expensive than the exact same TP counterpart.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000000a2d6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

But Mithril Coins themselves can go on sale... just saying.
    [CENTER]Council Of The West On Snowbourn

Runesi lvl 100 Rune Keeper[/CENTER]

If you're saving furniture for a future upgrade in hooks, I think you might be disappointed.

As far as your strategy for saving money, I thought this at first and then I realized, getting to 60 costs 156 gold anyways! I guess you save on Mithril but it's still expensive. If you go standard instead of deluxe, though, you do save the 6 gold in their prices.

I'm afraid people are going to get like 18 alt accounts and buy up whole neighborhoods' standard houses (there are a good 10 in my neighborhood) since buying a house and 30 storage for 7-8 gold is cheaper than upgrading past 30 . . . . . I'm actually tempted to dust off some old alt accounts lol.

*Just stay under the 2g gold cap
    *raise a lvl 15 toon on alt acct
    *send it gold from main (be careful to stay under 2g or you lose money)
    * buy a standard house in your main's neighborhood
    *give main acct toons permission
    *Upgrade to 30 slots from main toon

I mean, I understand that I couldn't tell Turbine or WB anything about what to do, any more than I can tell Microsoft to stop making their programs edit me by default, but the increased price of housing storage is ridiculous, and in many ways worse than before.

~Edit:

I also just noticed that no one has said, 100 MC ~in addition to~ the 100 you might want for a 3rd spec ~on each toon~
    Last edited by livingwaters; Nov 25 2013 at 05:53 PM.

I'm going to admit to being a real-estate hog. I have four accounts -- each with the currency cap removed. For each account, there is a deluxe house which has 90 slots of storage (45 per chest / 2 chests ). Then you have the ability to purchase a good deal of storage within personal storage. I also created my own Kinship and let it mature to the point that owning a Kinship house and deluxe house on one account was possible. Why go through the hassle? The price of extra storage and the paltry amount of additional slots. My main account has 9 character slots -- 8 are permanent and 1 for when I want a quick infusion of 100 or more TPs by using up reputation items and completing Ered Luin deeds.

If I felt the need, I would create a fifth account and grab a standard House (1 chest - 45 spaces for less than 2g) before I would hand over 850 TPs for 15 virtual slots of storage. It doesn't matter where they are (personal storage, shared storage, wardrobe storage, or housing chests). What I have done is extreme and works. My crafters maintain their own warehouse of supplies within personal storage along with one-shot recipes. I'm not the only one to do this. Some would say I am wasting a lot on housing fees. I beg to differ. After a while, gold is easier to come by. It doesn't drop from the sky in buckets or anything -- but, it's easier to get. Therefore, the fees aren't so bad. And if I did loose the houses someday, I'm not out any real money spent on 15 virtual spaces.

I'm a Premium player.
    My houses are all in the same neighborhood. I am not a total loon.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoreaux View Post
    I'm going to admit to being a real-estate hog. I have four accounts -- each with the currency cap removed. For each account, there is a deluxe house which has 90 slots of storage (45 per chest / 2 chests ). Then you have the ability to purchase a good deal of storage within personal storage. I also created my own Kinship and let it mature to the point that owning a Kinship house and deluxe house on one account was possible. Why go through the hassle? The price of extra storage and the paltry amount of additional slots. My main account has 9 character slots -- 8 are permanent and 1 for when I want a quick infusion of 100 or more TPs by using up reputation items and completing Ered Luin deeds.

If I felt the need, I would create a fifth account and grab a standard House (1 chest - 45 spaces for less than 2g) before I would hand over 850 TPs for 15 virtual slots of storage. It doesn't matter where they are (personal storage, shared storage, wardrobe storage, or housing chests). What I have done is extreme and works. My crafters maintain their own warehouse of supplies within personal storage along with one-shot recipes. I'm not the only one to do this. Some would say I am wasting a lot on housing fees. I beg to differ. After a while, gold is easier to come by. It doesn't drop from the sky in buckets or anything -- but, it's easier to get. Therefore, the fees aren't so bad. And if I did loose the houses someday, I'm not out any real money spent on 15 virtual spaces.

I'm a Premium player.
    Check your calculations. 45 storage slots is 1 + 5 + 25 gold. That is, if you have to actually buy it and didn't already have that much. And yeah, I have 4 accounts myself, three of my houses are in my own main house's neighborhood and one of them is in my kinship's neighborhood. And I've been eyeing some of the empty standard houses in my 'hood too . . . . problem is I'd rather progress in HD than go to the work of raising another lvl 15 character. Although it only takes a few gold go raise a yeoman to lvl 15 (exp gain by farming, exp gain by cooking, i've used spring barley and the biscuits well for that purpose)

Quote Originally Posted by Thoreaux View Post

I'm a Premium player.
    Ummm, prior to the change, deluxe houses had two chests with only 30 slots each. As it will only take a couple of hours to get a new toon built and to level 15, I am going to go the route of creating a new account and buying another house (actually, I will probably make 2 new accounts and related housing purchases) which for the price of a standard house and up to 30 slots for each house cost me about 7 gold each (house and chest spaces). Not too bad considering the extra 60 spaces I would get and save on 4 x 850 TP.

Quote Originally Posted by livingwaters View Post
    If you're saving furniture for a future upgrade in hooks, I think you might be disappointed.

As far as your strategy for saving money, I thought this at first and then I realized, getting to 60 costs 156 gold anyways! I guess you save on Mithril but it's still expensive. If you go standard instead of deluxe, though, you do save the 6 gold in their prices.

I'm afraid people are going to get like 18 alt accounts and buy up whole neighborhoods' standard houses (there are a good 10 in my neighborhood) since buying a house and 30 storage for 7-8 gold is cheaper than upgrading past 30 . . . . . I'm actually tempted to dust off some old alt accounts lol.

*Just stay under the 2g gold cap
    *raise a lvl 15 toon on alt acct
    *send it gold from main (be careful to stay under 2g or you lose money)
    * buy a standard house in your main's neighborhood
    *give main acct toons permission
    *Upgrade to 30 slots from main toon

I mean, I understand that I couldn't tell Turbine or WB anything about what to do, any more than I can tell Microsoft to stop making their programs edit me by default, but the increased price of housing storage is ridiculous, and in many ways worse than before.

~Edit:

I also just noticed that no one has said, 100 MC ~in addition to~ the 100 you might want for a 3rd spec ~on each toon~
    Ever the eternal optimist, there will be changes to hooks in my gaming lifetime....as soon as Turbine figures out how to make money from it.

But, if I make two new accounts and buy two new houses, I don't have to buy the maximum space. I can go the cheapest route which would be a standard house for one gold, 15 slots for one gold, the next 15 slots for five gold for a total of 7 gold for 30 slots x 2 accounts would give me 60 slots for 14 gold. That, I think, is a lot better than 156 gold.

Yes, I think Turbine is about to see a huge jump in account creation. Of course, that may be a plus for them as they can say, "Look how many accounts our game has!"

Quote Originally Posted by livingwaters View Post
    . . . problem is I'd rather progress in HD than go to the work of raising another lvl 15 character. Although it only takes a few gold go raise a yeoman to lvl 15 (exp gain by farming, exp gain by cooking, i've used spring barley and the biscuits well for that purpose)
    It only takes a couple of hours to get a toon to 15, so for me, it is well worth the time. Thanks for the tip about yeoman....I have a cook who makes Breakfast Tables and could use a whole lot of supplies that I don't want my VIP farmers to gain XP on (LOL, it is hard enough keeping them from reaching 60 before finishing North Downs).

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    One has to wonder where Turbine is getting all this Mithril. It being amongst the rarest of metals in Middle-earth, they sure can strike coins pretty damned quickly.
    I heard they hired Bernanke. He just prints more. It's called "Mithril Easing".

Quote Originally Posted by RedlineJunkie View Post
    I guess their goal is to get everyone to buy and spend MC eventually. Forget it.
    Hit the nail on the head. TP has a value of about one cent per point, whereas Mithril Coins have value of about eight cents per coin, even though 100 Mithril Coins ($8.00 value) sounds cheaper than 800 Turbine Points ($8.00 value).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2