We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Need help with picking a class

As the title says. I'm free to play so no Warden or Rune-keeper. I'm accustomed to soloing but I hope to be grouping more at higher levels. Examples of some of my most played classes from other games are:

Dungeons & Dragons online - Paladin, Cleric, Favored Soul
    Eden Eternal - Shaman, Templar
    Guild Wars - Warrior/Monk combo
    Moonlight Online - Knight, Sage
    World of Warcraft - Paladin, Shaman

This should give a pretty good idea of my preferences. High Defense/Mitigation, self Buffs/Healing, and fairly simple to play. I guess it all boils down to "survival, survival, survival" I hate dying and all the usual negative penalties associated with it (running back to where I died, repairing all the stuff that got damaged, weakened states, etc), so the less it happens the happier I am. I'm using a very old PC so I may have difficulty functioning effectively as main healer/tank. Any input would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn84 View Post
    High Defense/Mitigation, self Buffs/Healing, and fairly simple to play. I guess it all boils down to "survival, survival, survival" I hate dying and all the usual negative penalties associated with it (running back to where I died, repairing all the stuff that got damaged, weakened states, etc), so the less it happens the happier I am. I'm using a very old PC so I may have difficulty functioning effectively as main healer/tank. Any input would be appreciated
    Captain may be your best choice. It's been traditionally called a hybrid class, but with today's expansion we become a class that can choose healing, damage, or tanking and be good at it. You have self healing through a few different mechanisms. You also don't need to be alone, because starting around level 10 or so you can summon a Herald to fight alongside you. In groups Captains provide many sought-after buffs and can fill in whatever role (well, not so much with the crowd control) that the group may need.

You should read all the class descriptions and watch the class videos, then pick whatever appeals to you.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Not only does class matter, but some people find one race or another more or less to their liking. If the look, and/or sound, of your alt starts to grind on you - dealbreaker.

Fortunately, as free to play (ftp), you get 2 character slots per server - that's plenty to play with, so take advantage of it.

Try the Captain - good suggestion. I'd also try a Hobbit Minstrel - minnies can be offensive as well as defensive, so "party healer" is not necessarily the only role they can fill, and as a hobbit you have a "panic play dead" racial skill that comes in mid-game (Lvl 40? or so) . When you do solo, that can be money.

(And while you're on those other servers, kill two birds with one stone by doing the quicker Ered Luin deeds and quicker quests that start in Celondim - get a quick pile of TP while you're running the alt up to ~Lvl 15 or so. Shire Slayer deeds go fast then too, once you're that high of Level. TP earned on any server can be spent on your alts on your Home server onvce you make your final decision, and it's only a handful of hours invested in making sure the alt you want is the one you get, and the TP is gravy on top.)

GL!

Thanks both for your input, I've gone ahead and made a captain and so far it is pretty fun. It's got the heavier armors/healing that I like, and managing the herald doesn't seem that hard. Actually kind of nice having that extra scapegoat in case I need to run away Also thanks for tip about Ered Luin. I might try minstrel at a later date, but think I'll stick with captain for now until I get a better hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn84 View Post
    Also thanks for tip about Ered Luin. I might try minstrel at a later date, but think I'll stick with captain for now until I get a better hang of it.
    Glad you like the Captain! Since there's only one race that can choose it, all Captains start out in Archet. But you can choose to do your early levels in Ered Luin if you want. Just run over to Coombe and visit the Stablemaster. You can get a ride to Celondim, which is the town where Elves start their career, or Thorin's Hall where Dwarves start out. Both are in Ered Luin.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>