We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Between the video and the tips I've just completed it successfully. Thanks everyone.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000075010/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Elliecat1 View Post
    Between the video and the tips I've just completed it successfully. Thanks everyone.
    Glad to hear it. Unless a player suffers one or more of the bugs that others have posted in this thread, this silly exercise in frustration can be beaten. But there is nothing entertaining about it. I'd like to think someone at Turbine has read this thread and made a note to add "Check how all session play quests work after a MAJOR revision to classes and skills, especially when said session is the gatekeeper for all other quests in the region" to the checklist for future expansions.

I stopped after completing it with my third guy the other day. I'll wait to see what Turbine does before I try it with the other three characters. I feel confident I can beat the quest in its current state, but would rather wait and see how it plays if/when they fix it. Of course, part of me fears I should push the rest of my 85 alts through it before Turbine tries to "fix" it and makes is even worse.

Some official response as to whether Turbine truly believes this quest is WAI would be nice.

~Thor

Unhappy Sad at yet another bug, and silence from Turbine

There are so many things I really like about this game and despite the annoyances I keep coming back. However this issue may cause me to take an even longer holiday from the game. I handed over cash to Turbine to be able to play this area and I am not happy about being short-changed by this bug and the total silence from Turbine regarding it. I was seriously considering buying HD, and may do so in the future when hopefully some of the kinks have been ironed out, but I will be finding other games to occupy my time in the interim
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000030ff/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Splik View Post
    Thank you very much for the video. Went through the quest now without even a slight problem using the intructions.

Still, it's only (easily) possible because of second bug, which allows one to use mounted skills un-mounted... For once I am glad of a bug. :-D
    Bravery calls my name, in the sound of the wind in the night. My sword will drink blood, and I will fight, yes I will fight, in the Dawn of Battle!
    - Manowar, Dawn of Battle

This is pretty piss poor from Turbine. Continuing their silence on any issue whatsoever and screwing with things without thinking about consequences. If not for the video link (thanks!) i don't think i ever would have finished this quest, rendering the rest of an entire area pointless.

It's ridiculous that we have to use bugs and monitor invisible meters to have any chance of finishing a critical quest. I already went 7 months without playing and i'm becoming more and more tempted to uninstall completely. This is compounded by the situation that, 3 years on, they still won't even RESPOND to my continual query as to a character bug (making it very difficult to play as my original main). I'm not in a habit of supporting businesses/companies who don't consider their customers as important.

Thank you for these tips. It took me several tries before I could get the right rhythm down to succeed. But your tips were more help than I could get from Turbine.
    Gilgorandir, the Elven Hunter - Serving Windfola since November, 2007

Thank you for the walk through from a fellow minstrel

Took several attempts but finally using your tactics got through this - great feeling of satisfaction. Many, many thanks.

in the darkest depths of Mordor, meeting a girl so fair....
    Just a note: Rather than fix the quest, Turbine apparently has now "fixed" the work-around suggested in the video. No longer does the ability exist to draw mounted talents onto the unmounted talent bar and use mounted power in combat when the player is (inevitably) dismounted. In other words, (a) "Remembering Thrymm" is now impossible to finish successfully, and (b) about a third of the Wildermore quests (not including the epic line) are unavailable.

This is both amusing and quite insane.
    [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]ad[/COLOR] [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]astra[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]per alia[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]porci[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Kathindi View Post
    Just a note: Rather than fix the quest, Turbine apparently has now "fixed" the work-around suggested in the video. No longer does the ability exist to draw mounted talents onto the unmounted talent bar and use mounted power in combat when the player is (inevitably) dismounted. In other words, (a) "Remembering Thrymm" is now impossible to finish successfully, and (b) about a third of the Wildermore quests (not including the epic line) are unavailable.

This is both amusing and quite insane.
    I just completed it 10 minutes ago using the method in the video, and came here to say it worked. It took me 5 or 6 tries, but that's just because I had to get the right system down.

For those who try it, I have to re-iterate....hit that green button EVERY TIME IT'S AVAILABLE, and once you're dismounted, keep hitting the self-heal to keep aggro. And don't spam the 2 damage buttons...manage your (invisible) horse's power until there are a lot of orcs near you to maximize their effects. You take less damage than you think you should as long as you keep everyone in front of you. One mistake I kept making was trying to target specific orcs....don't bother. Just use the damage skills without targeting as long as there are orcs nearby.

And chase down any remaining archers before you head back up to the NPCs, making sure to keep the trolls in front of you. And keep the trolls off to the side of the NPCs so they don't AOE the healer. At the right distance, he (she?) adds to damage with archery. [edit - look at the NPC archer...sometimes you have to move a bit closer before he starts doing anything...I died a few times because he (she?) just stood there because I wasn't close enough...but don't get too close]

I actually like it better once I'm dismounted because I'm more maneuverable. Thrymm's horse is a slug.
    Last edited by Occum; Dec 07 2013 at 01:03 AM.

The patch notes for 12.1 say this will be fixed, so we only have a little longer to wait. Huzzah!

in the darkest depths of Mordor, meeting a girl so fair....
    Quote Originally Posted by Occum View Post
    I just completed it 10 minutes ago using the method in the video, and came here to say it worked. It took me 5 or 6 tries, but that's just because I had to get the right system down.
    Evidently the problem with equipping your mounted skills to your unmounted bar is confined to Brandywine server, and can be solved with a reboot. I debated whether to contact a GM last night - "Say, the cheat for your broken quest doesn't work; can you give me a hand...?" - and finally decided, what the heck, why not. So I was able to complete the quest and it was actually rather easy.

Glad to hear that this will be fixed in the next patch. I withdraw the world "insane" - but I'm still amused.
    [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]ad[/COLOR] [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]astra[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]per alia[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]porci[/COLOR][/B]

Excellent news, if there's a fix coming. I decided not to try to do the instance with both hands tied behind my back, and will wait for the patch.
    Favorite Dev Quote from 2009: Graal: The lack of an instant threat catch up skill is one of the differences in tanking between Wardens and Guardians, just like Wardens dont have a easily used forced taunt. It is unlikely, but not impossible that this will change. Bottom line...Dont die.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramangelfan View Post
    I recently completed this quest the other day and noticed it was very difficult but still do able. I stood in the middle of the crowds of mobs and just used my two aoe attacks. i kept a close eye on the 2 npcs morale. when ever i saw one dropping pretty good i would go and steal the aggro off them. the most important thing i noticed was that when you eventually get knocked off your horse you can still use the warsteed skills for some reason. Im not sure if thats a bug or done on purpose. Once i ran out of warsteed power i just kited the remaining adds and the 2 trolls with occasional self heals. It took awhile to get the trolls down but the npcs got them eventually.

Also, everything i read sai you should have more skills then 2, im not sure what happened to the others. Im couldnt find any possible way to remount but that could just be me. It probably took me about 10 times to get this method down but was great to finally get it.
    Not just this quest, they made "We cannot get out" quest in Moria a lot harder with the champion changes. It seems that they never considered how the class changes affected many of the story quests. Story quests should not be made almost impossible. Come on Turbine, get someone to spend a little time on these story quests and adjust them for the class changes, is that so hard?

I just tried this instance 3 times. Will wait for a patch.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Finally triumphant

I watched the walkthrough guide after trying this quest umpteen times and did it the first time. You do need to access the skills panel through the character panel. If you get defeated once you can no longer access the mounted skills so you must ensure that this does not happen.

This said the damn thing should work properly in the first place and it has been a while now since it was first reported.

I have reached lv 95 on another character and have thoroughly enjoyed Helm's Deep - thought I'd end on a positive note

Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    Here's how I finally managed to pull this one off: ride the warsteed into the middle of the orcs as they are coming at you, away from the 2 helper npcs. Use the horse heal whenever it is off cooldown, and alternate the 2 aoe attacks as much as possible. The idea is to kill as many orcs as possible as quickly as possible. By the time I got knocked off the horse, there were only 2 orcs left. I killed them, and then I fought the trolls until my morale started to get low. Then I kited the trolls in circles around the helper npcs, and let them do the killing and healing.
    I did it the way you suggested, thank you very much. It was very hard, and that session play is bugged for sure.
    I might want to add: first get your warsteed quite in front, try to stay in the center of the road while AoEing the orcs
    in direction away from town. Slowly move backward to cover everything, and don't let orcs escape to the npcs, keep them
    healthy till that kiting thing with the two very tedious trolls

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    The patch notes for 12.1 say this will be fixed, so we only have a little longer to wait. Huzzah!
    Do we have word when this is released? I am stuck on this session play and can't quite seem to pull it off - and I don't play alts. Ah well, a short break will do me good.

As an aside, for those odd people who seem to read my every thread and comment on them on another forum - see - proof I DO play the game

[EDIT] Managed to do it via the video on YouTube - many thanks to the producer for running this 20 times to find a tactic that worked.
    Last edited by trcanberra; Dec 11 2013 at 05:08 AM.
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

Probably within a week -- i.e., before the Yule festival starts. No specific date yet.

Quote Originally Posted by trcanberra View Post
    Do we have word when this is released? I am stuck on this session play and can't quite seem to pull it off - and I don't play alts. Ah well, a short break will do me good.
    Sapience posted that Yule Festival starts on 18 Dec. and that they want to release 12.1 before the Yule Festival.

So...if they're actually on schedule, I'd look for an announcement on Friday or Saturday of a following Monday down-time for the patch. Just my best guess....YMMV.

I can confirm that this session play is still easily doable despite the bugs. Not as ridiculously easy as it was before, but still far from being hard. I've always think that they made Thrymm way too much powerful and it shows when the instance can be finished with a severely gimped character. At least it comes in handy this time!

Yay! It's fixed and I was able to complete it (finally)!
    [CENTER][COLOR=#f0fff0][I]Trilli M Thistletoes ~ Hobbit Hunter of Gladden, Landroval & Crickhollow[/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Trilli View Post
    Yay! It's fixed and I was able to complete it (finally)!
    Ah - good news - glad to see you were able to complete it!
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuXsiZ7I-VA

This video above, explained exactly how to beat it, with just 3 buttons and on my second try (after loosing the very first time because the Warhorse will only walk or Gallop and not knowing that standing on the road to get all the 'agro' is the way to win.

I won.
    Easy as pie.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002def83/signature.png]Eadeniel[/charsig]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3