We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Same. Try after try after try..blablabla. My ticket had gotten the GMs cut n paste answer to submit an official bug report. This is where I got my first laugh about all this...using the url the gm provided http://lotrobugs.turbine.com, I then hit the link to submit a report, only to get "the site you are looking for cannot be found" (and trying it now, the link is dead).

Rofl
    Copter

But wait...I submitted a 2nd ticket, advising the url was down. The GM responded rather quickly with ''type /bug in the chat box'' then closed the ticket. Weeeelllll...two guesses to where that sends me. DING you guessed it, same broken link.

Turbine rocks.

Unhappy

Totally disgusted at this point. I've spent a couple of hours and 14-15 tries to complete this quest because so much is gated beyond it. Even when I've managed to kill all the orcs, the trolls still get me or Garferth. Here are the skills Thrymm USED to have:

QS 1 -- Mounted strike -- max 8 targets; +1 Fervour; 4,910 Common Damage
    QS 2 -- Swift Cut -- max 8 targets; +1 Fervour; 6,138 Common Damage
    QS 3 -- Sundering Blow -- max 8 targets; +1 Fervour; 7,366 Common Damage
    QS 4 -- Destabilizing Strike -- max 8 targets; Removes all Fervour; 8,839 Common Damage
    QS 5 -- Horn Blast -- max 8 targets; Removes all Fervour; 16,369 - 21,825 Light Damage
    QS 6 -- Recuperate -- Removes all Fervour; duration 4 seconds -- increases damage delt by 10%
    QS 7 -- Discipline: Red Dawn

I realise there are some folks who've managed to complete it with the two combat skills Thrymm has been left with since HD, but this is ridiculous. I get repeated anti-exploit warnings even though I'm right on the road swamped by orcs, the mounted combat skills still work dismounted (shouldn't that tell you something's wrong right there?) but only briefly as there is no way to restore war-steed power, and I couldn't even file the bug report in-game because I get a blank white screen in the bug reporting panel. Filed a ticket at myaccount@turbine. Guess I can just do the epics and leave the rest of the Wildermore content untouched, but I'm one of those folks who put it on hold until HD was released.

PLEASE, Turbine, fix this quest or unlock the next one so we can bypass the broken one.
    Willowing, Officer of Second Breakfast
    2 Twinfall Path, Tund Faroth, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Do drop in! The door is always open!

Breakfast: the best meals of the day!

Having posted here earlier bemoaning my futility with this quest, I suppose fairness demands that I mention that I used the tactics from the video linked in this thread and was able to finish. Failed the first time I tried it (killed all the orcs but did not get enough aggro with the trolls, so once I was out of power, they pounded on the NPCs), but the second attempt went smooth as glass. So thanks for sharing those tips.

The key for me was figuring out that we can regen warsteed power dismounted using the regen skill. But eventually, even that won't work. But if you can wipe out the orcs and keep the trolls hitting you, the NPCs will whittle them down. Just be sure to kite the trolls away from the NPCs every so often ... especially from the healer ... so you can hold aggro. If you stay out of range of the healer's skill, he will shoot his bow and help kill them. I just ran back near him if my morale dropped under 10k, then ran out of range. It seemed to me that his healer skill really draws aggro, so you just have to manage that.

This quest still needs fixing. It's silly to make us play a session as a mounted champ who has to stand still and not actually ride around killing orcs. The fact that there is way to beat this quest doesn't mean it's WAI.

Thumbs down

Many thanks for the tips, Thorsock. I also watched the video and it helped a good deal, but for some reason I can't maintain aggro with the trolls. At least one of them thinks Garferth is terribly interesting each time, and once he starts in on him I can't get the aggro back since I have nothing left except a self-heal.

I got my canned response to the ticket I filed last night:

We apologize, but the In-Game department is not able to assist with bug reports. A Bug Report should be submitted for an issue that does need to be fixed, but does not necessarily affect your account. Examples of this include landscape problems, stuck locations, broken skills, translation concerns, etc. Please note that Bug Reports will not receive a response, as it is simply a report of an issue, not a request for help or support. You may submit a bug from within the game or via the option on the forums. If you are not sure how to submit a bug, please ask other players in general chat.

If you would like to request assistance of the In-Game "GM's", please note that we are only able to review and investigate with specific gameplay questions or issues when tickets are submitted through the ticket system within the game.
    Of course, if anyone had actually read my report they would have grasped the fact that I couldn't /bug in-game because I just get a broken bug reporting tool there.

And what, exactly, does the In-Game department do if they don't handle in-game problems? "Quests" is one of the drop-down menu options.
    Willowing, Officer of Second Breakfast
    2 Twinfall Path, Tund Faroth, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Do drop in! The door is always open!

Breakfast: the best meals of the day!

Well, I just finished this on my second guy through Wildermore ... and completed it the first try. I learned another thing that made it a little quicker. Had I paid better attention during my earlier runs, I probably would have noticed it then:

We have two NPCs to protect/rely on. One is a healer/archer. The other is a melee. This time around, rather than kiting the Trolls in the traditional sense (i.e., running around in large circles), I just moved out of range of the healer/archer's heal skill and stood my ground for as long as I could before morale dropped under 20k. Standing still and taking a beating allowed the melee NPC to whittle on the Trolls much faster. Also, the healer/archer NPC automatically moves into bow range (but not heal range), so he helped too. Like I said ... not a very insightful observation, but thought I'd share it nonetheless.

As I mentioned above, the key seems to be generating as much Troll aggro as possible before allowing either NPC to enter the fray. I feared I had messed up the run because I got dismounted much sooner than I did completing this on my first guy. But it worked out. The tactic is not complicated:

1. Start the quest and ride out down the road to meet the Orcs.
    2. Kill all the Orcs as fast as possible while spamming your mounted Recuperate skill to build Warsteed Power.
    3. You will get dismounted against the Orcs. Keep killing them and trying to regen Warsteed Power with Recuperate so you can keep attacking.
    4. The Trolls will arrive while you're fighting the Orcs. Just allow your AOEs to hit the Trolls too and spam your Blood of the Dunedain (does not rely on Warsteed Power) to heal.
    5. Once the Orcs are all dead, attack the Trolls as many times as possible. Both times I completed this, I ran out of Warsteed Power before my morale dropped low enough to need the NPC's heal. So I could not attack at all after then.
    6. Run up to the NPCs to get them into the fight. Let the NPC heal you, then move off as described above. Let the melee NPC wail on them and the healer NPC fire from range. Spam Blood of the Dunedain throughout the rest of the session.
    7. When morale drops under 15-20k, run up to the healer, let him heal you (I was getting about 11k each time), then move off out of heal range and stand your ground some more.
    8. Rinse, repeat until the Trolls eat dirt.

I've directed all my friends who have not done Wildermore yet to this thread. The quest still blows, but it is doable. I just hope the developers don't read this and think, "Oh well, they can finish it, so we don't have to fix it."

~Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsock View Post

I've directed all my friends who have not done Wildermore yet to this thread. The quest still blows, but it is doable. I just hope the developers don't read this and think, "Oh well, they can finish it, so we don't have to fix it."

~Thor
    Probably exactly that but it will get spun as a "we listened and made it more challenging"

Why Turbine? Why do you continue to do stupid things like this? At the very least we should be able to remount. You cannot possibly tell me that Thrymm doesn't remember how to get on his horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Splik View Post
    That doesn't work for me for a couple reasons:

1. Thrymm has no skills when I bring up the skill panel, so I can't put the warsteed skill on the skill bar since it doesn't exist.
    2. The attacks do almost no damage for me. By the time I have killed one orc there are around 30 orcs surrounding me and by the time the trolls come out there are to many to count.

There is absolutely no way to finish the quest, half my attempts failed before the trolls even showed up because the orcs killed one or both of the NPCs.

Thumbs up Ten Attempts - ten fails, unit l watched this guide!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Splik View Post
    This guide is perfect, follow it and you will get through this instance. I completed on my second attempt after watching the video.

I have tried this quest 12x and still cant get thru it. Its made so you can not continue on with the other quests in that area until you finish this one. Not sure what level rating its on (low, med, high, extra high) but its beginning not to be fun. I have tried getting in the middle of the mob, I have tried standing by the npc's. In either case once I am off the horse I CAN NOT use any of my melee options to fight. I really wish they would look at this quest again and fit it.

also, my horses health bar NEVER shows up - so I have no idea what its health is at.

Unhappy Fed up with this quest

I have lost count of how many times I have tried to do this quest. I submitted a bug report on November 20 and was hopeful it was fixed during the last hot fix, but no luck. I was excited to try the video strategy but can't seem to pull it off either and after 3 times, I'm feeling so utterly frustrated that I don't want to do anymore. I cannot get the mount movement to cooperate with grabbing mobs and then standing still. For some reason, the mount dynamics are so different from my personal war steed and it handles really poorly and takes forever to get stopped, so that by the time I get it positioned, the mobs are out of control. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. My normal war steed is a light mount and very agile (as far as a war steed can be) to go along with my hunter.

This is, frustrating. I too waited on Wildemore for the HD release and got stuck here. I'm going to try the video strategy tomorrow, but honestly, having a large part of this zone locked behind a broken quest is less than great.

An option to skip, or better yet, a fix would be a good thing. Good hunting all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugorr View Post
    This is, frustrating. I too waited on Wildemore for the HD release and got stuck here. I'm going to try the video strategy tomorrow, but honestly, having a large part of this zone locked behind a broken quest is less than great.

An option to skip, or better yet, a fix would be a good thing. Good hunting all.
    Yes please - a skip would be awesome. I had saved the zone for a treat and just hit this mess today...blechhh !!
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!

I agree that Turbine should allow us to skip this quest. Even though I've been able to finish it, there is no way the session is WAI. It just feels as if no one bothered to test the session play with the HD skill changes. I'm curious whether anyone who participated in the HD Beta tried it.

I'm not sure why Thrymm's skills would not appear so you can set them in the toolbar. I always access them through the Character Panel, and noticed that the skills are not accessed as they are in our characters' panels. There was a separate button I had never used before (but I had never tried to access skills in session play before). It's possible (I guess) that trying to access the skill using the hotkey (whatever that is ... I always go through the Character Panel) might not work. Or it could just be a bug I haven't suffered yet.

If the Orcs are killing the NPCs, I suggest moving farther down the road at the start. There is one group of four Orcs that attacks from the side. I ignore them and let the NPCs take them. For me, the key was fighting the Orcs far enough away from the NPCs to keep the NPCs out of the fight until all Orcs are dead and only the Trolls remain.

The times I completed this quest (did my third guy today), it only took about two attacks to kill an Orc. Since the attacks are AOE, I was downing them in bunches with the second swings. The Orc archers are tricky ... I have to move to them to get them in range. Also, I learned the hard way to wait for the melee Orcs to get back into my AOE range after I send them sprawling or I was burning Warsteed Power needlessly.

As has been said, this quest can be completed, but it's just ... ridiculous. Turbine needs to act on this. Until I found the video in this thread and figured out how to implement those suggestions, I came as close as I ever have to quitting in my 6+ years of this game. I challenge any developer to run the quest in its current configuration and tell us it's working as intended. I dare you. I double dog dare you.

To be honest, the best thing Turbine could do right now is just tell us whether they intend to act. Or tell us we have to live with it. If I knew Turbine planned to address the problem, I am patient enough to wait. Because I have five more guys I was planning to take through Wildermore.

~Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Zoraine View Post
    Yes please - a skip would be awesome. I had saved the zone for a treat and just hit this mess today...blechhh !!
    Z - I was successful using the video strategy, it worked well. I would encourage others stuck on this to give it a try. And I would encourage Turbine to fix it (or allow others to bypass it) sooner rather than later.

Good hunting all!

It was all luck for me

I read through this post and didn't notice this part (tho I think its in the video), but in order to access your mounted skills non-mounted, put the skills in your normal melee bar before starting the fight and before mounting your horse. Just hit K(default) to pull up your skills like normal.

I actually never rode around at all. Moving seemed to make me miss the orcs more. I just moved a little bit to get the archers in range. I know the recommended way is to kite the trolls (at least some of the time) when you take them to the npc's, but I never did. I just put the trolls with their backs to the npc's (yes, their damage is aoe), but I never had an issue with the npc's dieing.

Once you run out of horse power (once dismounted) there is really nothing to do but stand there and hope you get healed enough to survive until they kill the trolls for you. Pretty poor instanced if this is WAI.

Z - I was successful using the video strategy, it worked well. I would encourage others stuck on this to give it a try. And I would encourage Turbine to fix it (or allow others to bypass it) sooner rather than later.

Good hunting all!
    The problem is that the video strategy doesn't work for everyone. On my account for example:
    1. Thrymm does almost no damage to the enemies when he attacks.
    2. By the time the trolls show up there are dozens of orcs attacking him and he is eventually knocked off the steed and insta-killed by arrows.
    3. The mounted skills CANNOT be used when not on the steed (for my account anyway) so there is nothing to do after being dismounted if I have somehow manage to kill all the orcs with bows and miraculously survive for more than a microsecond after being dismounted.

I haven't done that quest yet Post HD. I struggled with it before though, died about 3 or 4 times. That place gets crazy if you lose control of the situation. Reminds me of Balin's Camp!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by nonamebrand View Post
    The problem is that the video strategy doesn't work for everyone. On my account for example:
    1. Thrymm does almost no damage to the enemies when he attacks.
    2. By the time the trolls show up there are dozens of orcs attacking him and he is eventually knocked off the steed and insta-killed by arrows.
    3. The mounted skills CANNOT be used when not on the steed (for my account anyway) so there is nothing to do after being dismounted if I have somehow manage to kill all the orcs with bows and miraculously survive for more than a microsecond after being dismounted.
    Hmmm, that is troublesome. Just asking: are you hitting the mount power refresh every time it becomes available? (I think it's on a 40 second refresh). Not sure why you wouldn't damage the orcs with the 2 available mounted skills, they usually kill them in two hits. I rode down the road out of range of the NPC's to meet the waves and ignored the one from the side and let the NPC's handle it.

Never tried to ride around, just stood there spamming the skills and hitting power refresh whenever available. Still had a lot of orcs around when the trolls showed up which was right about when I got dismounted. Continued using the mount skills and power refresh as long as I could and once the orcs were dead, kited the trolls around the NPC's in a circle spamming the only remaining skill, the heal. One NPC would heal me, the other would pew pew the trolls and eventually they went down.

Like I said, it really needs to be fixed, it appears the "work around" doesn't work for everyone.

Hmmm, that is troublesome. Just asking: are you hitting the mount power refresh every time it becomes available? (I think it's on a 40 second refresh). Not sure why you wouldn't damage the orcs with the 2 available mounted skills, they usually kill them in two hits. I rode down the road out of range of the NPC's to meet the waves and ignored the one from the side and let the NPC's handle it.

Never tried to ride around, just stood there spamming the skills and hitting power refresh whenever available. Still had a lot of orcs around when the trolls showed up which was right about when I got dismounted. Continued using the mount skills and power refresh as long as I could and once the orcs were dead, kited the trolls around the NPC's in a circle spamming the only remaining skill, the heal. One NPC would heal me, the other would pew pew the trolls and eventually they went down.

Like I said, it really needs to be fixed, it appears the "work around" doesn't work for everyone.
    Yup, I'm spamming every skill I have (all three of them ) but am doing little to no damage and the heal doesn't seem to be doing much for me either. I thought it was just me but I've found quite a few other people who have the same thing happen. For us there is absolutely no way to finish the quest. Oh well, back to low level stuff for me for now. Got bored with the Helm's Deep quests aftre one run through them and was hoping to put all my level 85's through Wildermore, but I don't want to have to stop half way through with all of them.

I was wondering the same as everyone else - I only had two skills and one heal and once off the horse there was no getting back on. Hope they let us either bypass this or fix it soon. I've gone on to Book 11 with another level 85 but wanted to at least do all of Wildermore on one alt.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002a3fe6/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by nonamebrand View Post
    Yup, I'm spamming every skill I have (all three of them ) but am doing little to no damage and the heal doesn't seem to be doing much for me either. I thought it was just me but I've found quite a few other people who have the same thing happen. For us there is absolutely no way to finish the quest. Oh well, back to low level stuff for me for now. Got bored with the Helm's Deep quests aftre one run through them and was hoping to put all my level 85's through Wildermore, but I don't want to have to stop half way through with all of them.
    Ugh, that's terrible to hear! I hope there is a solution for this situation quickly.

Is this going even going to be acknowledged as a problem that needs fixing?

I have 5 toons waiting to go through Wildermore, the two that have already done so are now effectively broken by the class changes so will not be getting played any time soon.

I am desperately trying to justify to myself re-subbing; but Turbine are making it close to impossible.

All The Best

I finished this quest yesterday, and it was certainly challenging. The first time I tried it I tried riding around killing orcs, but they piled up too quickly. Eventually I was overwhelmed and dismounted without any option to attack or remount, so I just ran around until my NPCs died.

The second time I just stood with my horse on the npcs using my extensive skill set befitting the champion of wildemore (2 attacks!). Sadly the NPCs separated, but then I just rode back and forth between them dispatching the orcs. The trick seemed to not moving, as Thrymm just wildly waves his sword when told to attack. When the trolls came I just rode in circles occasionally attacking the trolls to hold aggro and let the npcs finish off them off.

I hope this helps. The first time I was clearly overwhelmed, but the second time was more silly than it was challenging.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000014b10a/signature.png]Ranadin[/charsig]

Ranadin + Happyfish = Ranafish

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast