We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Ministrel

Ministrel

I'm new to the game. I have a lvl 14 Ministrel and I just can't get used to the combat. Am I a range fighter or a melee fighter? Most of the time I have to melee stuff because I got nothing to keep the enemy away until I kill it.

Also I picked tailoring as my profession. The trainer gave me a box to make a cloak. The box is supposed to have 2 items necessary to make a cloak in it. Yet the box doesn't open. I can't destroy it to get a new one either. I feel confused by the profession system.

Also, my first impression of the game was graphics related. The graphics look kind of dated compared to, lets say, World of Warcraft, which is older than this game.

Minstrels are range. Even with the HD changes, we are definitely range characters; I think there's only one melee attack, Herald's Strike. I'm not sure what you have (or will have, I guess, after HD settles in) at your level, but here are the basics: if you're soloing, go redline in your traits (Warrior-Skald), turn on the Dissonance stance to maximize DPS output, use Piercing Cry & Call to Fate, play three ballads in rotation, and finish off with the coda. Once you can get Call to Orome, add that to your rotation as well. Heal with Bolster Courage/Raise the Spirit as needed. Later on you can play with anthems/different traitlines as well, but this'll get you through the early landscape content pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by nightday View Post
    Minstrels are range. Even with the HD changes, we are definitely range characters; I think there's only one melee attack, Herald's Strike. I'm not sure what you have (or will have, I guess, after HD settles in) at your level, but here are the basics: if you're soloing, go redline in your traits (Warrior-Skald), turn on the Dissonance stance to maximize DPS output, use Piercing Cry & Call to Fate, play three ballads in rotation, and finish off with the coda. Once you can get Call to Orome, add that to your rotation as well. Heal with Bolster Courage/Raise the Spirit as needed. Later on you can play with anthems/different traitlines as well, but this'll get you through the early landscape content pretty easy.
    Thanks. This is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pradchuvanne View Post
    Thanks. This is very helpful.
    At that level it was pretty much ballad > ballad > ballad > coda = dead mob.

Also I picked tailoring as my profession. The trainer gave me a box to make a cloak. The box is supposed to have 2 items necessary to make a cloak in it. Yet the box doesn't open. I can't destroy it to get a new one either. I feel confused by the profession system.
    The profession system can be confusing. Take a look at your inventory. There should be a letter in there that describes how to craft the items that the NPC wants you to make. There should also be a crate in your inventory; you need to right-click on it to "use" it, which will cause it to open and deliver its contents to you. The box contains the actual ingredients required by the recipe.

Also, my first impression of the game was graphics related. The graphics look kind of dated compared to, lets say, World of Warcraft, which is older than this game.
    I'm sorry you feel that way about the graphics. When I moved from WoW to LotRO, I thought they looked less cartoonish and more realistic. You can also try experimenting with your Video Options and see if you can make things look better.

Good luck with all the new player starting stuff. You can ask questions in game using the Advice channel. Type /advice your question here and people in your region will see your question and usually respond.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

May i suggest you also look at the minstrel class threads. There are some HD class change summaries there that may help with the basics. And ask away for minstrel advice. We are generally helpful types

In addition look at your server (world) thread under kinships tab in these forums and find a nice established kin. A 'nice established kin' is one that will help you learn about crafting (and even give you mats/ingredients) and will give you a hand if you are stuck with quests or skirmishes. Some do a lot more than that.

It really helps when you are a new player to a game this old, to get to know a few long time players. Established kins generally have these players. There are lots of hidden tricks ad tips they can share.

And some tips are in here!

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...16#post7008416

as well as some great laughs. (Yes, i did all the dumb things.)

And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”

What does "go redline in your traits" mean lol

Quote Originally Posted by cindrel View Post
    What does "go redline in your traits" mean lol
    When you choose how to trait, there are three options. For minstrel, generally, you'll see that the 3 sets of traits do the following:

Blue - gives very stong healing
    Yellow - gives buffs to yourself and anyone your grouped with
    Red - more damage spells and better damage.

So going redline means to take options which increase your ability to do damage. If you also go into Dissonance stance (one of the 3 stances you have to choose from regardless of how you trait) at the same time, you'll have a minstrel who kills stuff a fair bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Atheling View Post
    When you choose how to trait, there are three options. For minstrel, generally, you'll see that the 3 sets of traits do the following:

Blue - gives very stong healing
    Yellow - gives buffs to yourself and anyone your grouped with
    Red - more damage spells and better damage.

So going redline means to take options which increase your ability to do damage. If you also go into Dissonance stance (one of the 3 stances you have to choose from regardless of how you trait) at the same time, you'll have a minstrel who kills stuff a fair bit faster.
    Been playing Minstrel on and off since 2009 and I did always wonder what the difference between blue and yellow actually was.. lol. But really I should of worked it out by now, I always used all red for dps and mostly blue and a couple of yellow when I was needed for heals.

Was always my main class and the only one I got to level cap, loved the ability to slaughter 3-4 on level mobs at a time with all the AoE and self heals. Made us very hard to kill
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/20224000000113835/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Jutenza View Post
    Been playing Minstrel on and off since 2009 and I did always wonder what the difference between blue and yellow actually was.. lol. But really I should of worked it out by now, I always used all red for dps and mostly blue and a couple of yellow when I was needed for heals.

Was always my main class and the only one I got to level cap, loved the ability to slaughter 3-4 on level mobs at a time with all the AoE and self heals. Made us very hard to kill

In fairness, the division has only really become that clear again (especially between blue and yellow) with the new changes. It was true before, but not quite to the extent it is now. There is a very clear and significant difference between the healing output of yellow and blue line now.