We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Items - turn in for tasks or sell for silver?

Hi, I am new and questing with my Warden. Just finished off the Spider quests in Archet and now I am wondering about what to do with the all the items that I have looted. They all seem to have red text saying - "This item can be turned in for tasks."

I just looked up tasks in the Lorebook and now am in a dilemma. I have most quest packs in Eriador and I am a quest lover, so I will do almost every single quest that I can. What would be better - sell those items for silver or turn them in for tasks? I don't think I need the XP with all the quest packs I have, but I am not sure what people generally prefer.

EDIT: I found out that there was an Advice channel and asked on it. Two people replied and both said that they just sell them.
    Last edited by Shire_to_Mordor; Nov 11 2012 at 11:19 AM.

Tasks are limited to 5 per day (unless you use some store items to increase that number), and they don't give very much xp anyway. If you want to sell the items, sell them.

There are lots of quests, especially in the lowbie levels, so you will certainly not need to worry about not finding enough xp elsewhere.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

I found out about the Advice channel and both people who replied there also said the same thing. Thanks for the help, I can free up some bag space now. I am wondering how people with just 2 bags get by!

I always keep a full stack or two for emergency XP. What emergency? When I come back to turn in quests and find myself just short of levelling, and the next level has a nice skill that I want or I've got a set of items waiting in my vault that I can't use until I level. Saves me the trouble of running out to do one more quest or kill 20 mobs to get that last bit of XP I need.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

While the XP rewarded for tasks is mostly unimportant, many tasks also give reputation as a reward, and that is much more valuable. For several factions it can be much harder to reach Kindred status if you do not use the task boards diligently.
    Personally I always turn in tasks that give reputation, but mostly ignore those tasks which only give XP.

No rep given for tasks in the newest zone, rohan, so after my daily allotment I just vend them for silver.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r11 (active) Mini

If you're after titles and deeds there is at least one deed associated with tasks as well. If not, just sell the loot. Can make a lot of silver for selling it to vendors.
    “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” Faramir

When I enter a new quest hub or region I will usually pick up all the tasks off the task board that are available as well as the regular quests in the hub. I do the quests as usual and turn in any tasks that I may have filled, It usually doesn't take long to get the 5 a day limit, and at that point I vendor off what ever I have left. During the regular questing and leveling in that region I will continue to collect the tasks items and turn them in 5 at a time until I either gained all the rep from the faction in that region or have out leveled the area or ran out of quests. At that point I cancel all the tasks quests in my quest log and vendor all the remaining tasks items collected until I leave the area or region.

Tasks help a little with XP and Rep and gains you a little silver (if you vendor them) but honestly they are mostly a "x" sink.

"x" = time, bag space, quest log space and RL money if you go for the store limit removal (that isn't permanent)

Nothing more annoying then having bags full of stacks of broken swords and hooked claws and you cant loot the shard that just dropped with out stopping and dropping something or picking up a quest and finding out your quest log is full and you cant pick up the quest without canceling a quest or two.

If there was not a limit on the amount that you can turn in daily (or if the store limit removal was a permanent, one-time purchase) then they would be more useful to leveling and gaining Rep, but as they are now I would not go too far out of my way worrying about them and only supplement my experience with them as long as it was convenient.
    Take Care,
    D.
    [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?496094-The-Brief-Mr.-Bako-Bongo-In-Soup-Du-Jour."]My LOTRO Comics and Fan-Fiction[/URL]

More so than the XP involved, I find that tasks are helpful in getting rep for various factions. If you turn in 5 tasks a day, that can be worth up to 1500 rep/day, which does add up, particularly in places with grindy rep like Forochel.

I tend to just vendor task items in places like Eregion where the task boards have no associated rep (though really, IMO they should carry Rivendell rep as it would cut down on the time required in Goblin-town..)

I also find the Daily Tasks add-on helpful, in part because of those sneaky items that build up and end up not being used for any tasks at all, and thus just clutter up my bags.
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

At the lower levels you'll get way more task items than you can use. Sell most of 'em (like Advice suggested) but I would recommend hanging on to say, a single stack of task items as well. If you can only log on for a few minutes it's a quick way to get some experience and rep, and obviously if you're not logging on for long you won't have time to collect.

With the recent change to task items, one stack should be exactly how many items you can turn in on a given day. Almost all tasks require 10 of a certain item, and as others have said, you can only turn in 5 a day to begin with.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Thanks for the tips, especially about rep. BTW, someone mentioned an addon, where can I find it?

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...emtracker.html is the one that was mentioned before.

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info536-BusyBeeTasks.html is another one called BusyBee Tasks which I often preferred over DailyTasks, but I don't believe it's updated yet to match the new number of items required for each task.

Edit: Linked to the wrong page for BusyBee before. The link is fixed now.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

I'm VIP so I spend a lot of time with a very full Quest Log. Before I sell off those "could be used for tasks" items, I check the local task board. I complete any tasks I have the items for and note what items are useful for tasks in my level range. If the item isn't useful for a task in my level range, I vendor it. Until you get to your 60's, the items used in tasks changes every level and in every area, so I also vendor anything that I don't seem to be getting enough of to finish a task.

There are a number of items that have that notation that are NEVER used in tasks, such as those jade jewels. My thought is that if you can't use 'em for tasks NOW, then sell 'em for money. For a new player, these items represent an important income stream... more important, sometimes, than the rep & xp.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

While lots of task give both Exp and Rep reward, there are three categories of items marked as "This item can be turned in for tasks."

1) The item can be turned in for task, and gives both Exp and Rep. If i can, i usually do these. Extra rep is good to get. Thorin's Hall rep done in Gondamon and Othrikar helps shorten Sarnur grinds at level 45+ when you want goat for Moria. Some other task boards make less sense - Bree rep usually one gets more that enough from Barrowdowns, Shire too is easy to get, Ranger's rep same. Eglain rep, however, benefits from this, and at higher levels more factions benefit from taskboards, lessening daily repeatables grinding significiantly.

2) Item can be turned in for a task, gives only Exp reward. Usually i dont bother with these, vendoring them, but if you are F2P you probably could get use of some extra exp daily. Plus there are deeds associated with doing 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 task quests, that give both a small bit of TP and a funny looking titles and cloaks.

3) Item is marked as such, but no taskboad accepts it. Just sell these.

As how to separate these three categories, i am very found of "DailyTasks" for that. Even more, it also keeps list of my alts, and suggests who of alts can use the items, that the holding char cant use - either yet, or anymore. The link to it was published already a few posts higher. It works even cross-account - with a bit of work you can manage to get all alts on all accounts on a single server to work together.
    Last edited by Hatter_of_Bree; Nov 12 2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: missed some info partway...
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

As said, mainly turn the tasks in for reputation. In later regions though you can also get a decent amount of item XP for them, and in Rohan mount XP as well which helps quite a bit with levelling LIs and your war steed.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

this should be a self answering question. After about 3 days of play, you will notice that your bags are full of junk items even after turning in your 5-10 tasks every day, because you get junk in large amounts but can only turn in a few per day for tasks unless you keep buying reset scrolls. So, turn in your tasks each day then vendor whatever is left over.... might keep 1 stack of task junk for a day that you cannot play much or do not get enough items, but you get the general idea.
    Draegon:
    "stack all the morale you want but dont come on here wonderin why you aint hittin hard! :D"

Quote Originally Posted by Shire_to_Mordor View Post
    Hi, I am new...
    I think this is probably a good time then for you to start developing habits. Turning in items for the tasks is a good habit to form for the reputation part of it. Look for that first, and then consider vendoring the rest. If you develop the habit of vendoring first, then when rep tasks do come your way, you won't be thinking of them, and will probably have to make another run to collect the items you need. Save yourself some time now by developing the habits that will keep you ahead later in the game.
    [COLOR="#6666ff"][FONT=Century Gothic]To many people, free will is a license to rebel not against what is unjust or hard in life but against what is best for them and true.[/FONT][/COLOR]

The only place where I would recommend turning in task items is Lone-Lands, because reputation is more challenging to get there. Everywhere else, reputation is pretty easy to get, and I'd rather sell task items.

There's also a deed for tasks. I did it on my main, but none of my alts have turned any task items in because it was too much of a pain for me.

Quote Originally Posted by paintpixie View Post
    The only place where I would recommend turning in task items is Lone-Lands, because reputation is more challenging to get there. Everywhere else, reputation is pretty easy to get, and I'd rather sell task items.

There's also a deed for tasks. I did it on my main, but none of my alts have turned any task items in because it was too much of a pain for me.
    Eglain rep is a very nice one to have, but you can also craft and instance your way through this rep. Personally, I choose instance and run the arboretum for my bog lurker deed while I'm at it... (overleved mind you)

If you're worried about overleveling content, I would DEFINATELY skip doing tasks.

Everyone will have differences of opinion but I will say that if a task will give you 1) rep (which leads to faction benefits and tp--always a good thing), 2) ixp or 3)war-steed xp turn it in without a doubt. Some will argue that if you do you will waste "precious" resources but I assure you that i have never went lack of gold in this game. I have 3 toons now with over 500 tasks turned in and at least 3 more that have made it to the "eager beaver" level. I also have well in excess of 1000 gold between my toons. Believe me you shouldn't miss the gold from turning in tasks.

I did forget to mention that if you play tons of time each day then I will admit you fill up your bags will task items (although not an issue really if you have 6 bags). If you only play an hour or two a day on a toon then you shouldn't have much issue with it though. It is true that you start out only being able to turn in 5 tasks a day, but each time u hit a new tier (100 tasks) you get a +1 daily task token to permanently raise your number you can do in a day. Once you hit the Hot Shot title you are talking about 10 tasks a day. Doing tasks can definitely help you level up your LI's much faster once you get them.

Forgot to mention earlier...

IF you do decide to do tasks, I would suggest only keeping the top 2-3 drops... Some areas can have up to 10 task items, Rohan has 20 or so... This can fill up your bags quite quickly, vendor all but 2-3 types of items to use for tasks.

Tasks were designed essentially for F2P or Premium players, who want to level up in a region even though they can't do quests for them. Rather than mindlessly kill enemies over and over to the point where they quit the game in disgust, they can mindlessly kill enemies over and over and then turn in 5 tasks. For VIP players you never need the extra XP as there are hundreds of quests in each zone that give far more XP than you'll ever need to level up.

The money is better to have to be honest. It can be a significant amount of income being given up. If you're F2P with a gold cap then it doesn't matter, but with the rampant inflation in this game most players could use the money more than a tiny amount of XP.

There is maybe an except at high level 75, where to get rep for some factions you really needed to do tasks (though today the tasks vanish once you hit 76).

You can turn in 5 tasks per day - I've always found it worthwhile to turn in tasks mostly for the rep. The XP is negligible, but rep is the big draw for me. I'm collecting the stuff - I may as well get something beneficial from it!

The rest I sell. And once I out level the taskboard for a given area I just sell the accumulated mats unless I have another toon close to the same level (I tend to group my alts in pairs at similar levels).

HTH!
    At home on Nimrodel for 4 years.
    Hadleighy/champ/100 (main), Brynnraen/guard/100 (retired main) , Zarefina/mini/100 (solo), Hazriel/LM/88, Rachlarien/RK/83, Brynreign/Beorn/71, Rudbekia/burg/34, Aysawen/capt/36, Haddley/hunter/16

Quote Originally Posted by Southy2010 View Post
    I did forget to mention that if you play tons of time each day then I will admit you fill up your bags will task items ...
    What no one has mentioned is... a lot depends how much you play and how often you level.

If you are on every day, many hours/day, then you will have no choice - you simply have to sell, or slow down your leveling. Otoh, if you can only squeeze in a few hours per week, then you can turn in all your tasks and not worry about it.

Until recently, tasks were all diff amounts/task - 4, 8, 15 - with the "4's" being rarer drops. Now they are all turned in in stacks of 10. If you want to run some simple math, sell the more valuable ones, and/or the ones that are proving harder to find.

Also, know that the tasks available are level-dependent - as you gain levels, lower-level tasks will no longer be available, and higher-level ones will become available. Difficult to determine this in-game, so I made a cheat-sheet from the info on the wiki (/tasks).

And because of that, I make sure to grab all the "current" bottom-limit of tasks before I'm going to level up - they then can be turned in later (any time later I fill them) or cancelled (never to be seen again, since you're now "over level" and they are simply unavailable).

Which zones matter? Again, depends. It's not a bad idea to get the second level of Rep w/ any area you are spending time in - it's a 5% discount from vendors, which can add up (Esteldin jumps to mind). If you are Crafting with a Historian/Scholar, it's critical to get Acquaintance standing in the Shire, to use Mathom House (superior Scholar's Studies). If your alt is not of the Race of Man, it's very handy to get Bree Kindred standing, and buy the "Return to Bree" skill - but Bree is also easy to farm Rep items that drop in the Barrows, so you can do that via Tasks or later.

So, as for what I think is the actual OP's question, an effort/reward trade off, whether it's "better" to sell or turn in - I'd say it's better to turn in unless/until it slows your game down, or becomes too much of a hassle. That is, let Tasks be an addition to your game, not the focus of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast