We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I just decided to put my money where my mouth is, and I canceled 6 subscriptions.

Am I quitting play? No.

But I can be a premium fairly easily and given the prices for the housing storage upgrades and the continuing proliferation of mithril coin currency (which I will NOT use, ever), I see no reason to make a monthly contribution.

$60 a month x 12 months is $720 a year, not counting that up until now I've purchased 2 x $200 turbine point packages at least once a year for the past 2 years.

I'm only one customer, but over a thousand bucks a year average has to count for something. If only 500 people who pay like I do do this, that's $1000 x 500 = $500,000 a year.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

P.S. I'm a landroval player in one of the *most* participating kinships in the Game. I also donated $100 to the charity Sapience was sponsoring. So I'm one of your strongest best customers and I'm *telling* you, it's time for you to make a change in a different direction than you're heading.

There are a hundred ways you could be making money on a *lot* of us; some of my own kin mates have suggested items like: fiddles, a *real* housing update, carts, mules, and a host of other items. Price them low and you'll sell hundreds and thousands of such things a la carte.

Make the prices unreasonable, or filter it through a dreadful currency exchange like the non-lore mithril coinage and you won't get anything from folks like me.

Before I pull out the soapbox, let me agree with one thing many have said: allow kinships to have an in game gold paying option. I'm not going to re-iterate the whys. Keep the MC option if you want, but give us the in-game gold option as well.

*drags out the soapbox, complaining bitterly that she shouldn't have to*

Yes. We have heard the rumors. A whole buncha' ol' Zynga employees are working at Turbine now. Aside from how craptastic the work environment was there, what was the real killing blow was what they did to their players. My husband and I were amongst them. As soon as the cash grabs started smelling as foul as cabbaged ale, we left. Just left. Didn't even rant on the forums. I'm sure that we weren't the only ones. (I know for certain more than a few as well as ourselves.)

If whomever makes the boneheaded decisions like the pricing scheme for the housing storage upgrades continues to hand down directives along the same lines, there will probably be some noise here on the forums like this thread about the cash grabbing. But many, many, many more will just leave. Then...then that same bonehead (or, heaven help us, boneheads) will point at the lowering revenue for LOTRO and say, "Well, this horse is dead. What's next?"

Maybe the powers that be don't care because they see the tunnel ahead, and know it won't be much longer to wring every copper they can out of this game before it's time to move on to the next shareholder-happy-making/haven't-I-earned-my-golden-parachute plan. Forget about all the amazing opportunity that's still left here as far as creating this particular version of J.R.R.'s world. Sure, most of it isn't in lockstep on a map with the Epic part of the story, but really, 90% of what we do is dancing on the borders anyway, and a lot of us prefer it that way. Otherwise, we'd be playing all those other games where we can be Bilbo, or Frodo, or a Red Robe.

Or maybe they don't care because they think paying folk to make creative content that works well and people will enjoy is not how they want to be remembered. They'd rather just keep raking in cash on accelerators and boosters while fixing things that aren't broken to distract from the fact that they're rushing folks to the end game content that feels a lot like the same-ol', even though it's definitely got some obvious differences. Because at the end of the day, they can pat themselves on the back and say "Look at all the money I made us!", not realizing their fast nickel could have been many more slow dimes.

*sighs and gets off the soapbox, dragging it behind her, kicking up dust*
    Club Éclair-Second Servings members are at 19 trainings or below.
    I can't fit all my Tortoise Stone Bearers in my sig anymore.
    This August will be our 7th Annual Month a' the Chicken on Landy!

I personally think that storage, already a pretty big problem in the game, is not the thing to try to get money out of people. Sure, some may buy it because they need more space, or they may resort to free options that get them far more space, like I did. I think driving up costs for necessities will cause people to get very angry, and bring in only some revenue. Driving up prices on "a la carte" items, such as interact-able housing items or even additional housing slots will get a lot more money and a lot less complaints (pretty sure mount speed got quite a bit of revenue, but even if not, it wasn't that hard to implement, at least not with the bugs it had before). As said above, I would also throw in a few cheap items because if everyone can afford it, you'll get a lot more being bought. As for what I have been driven to do, because I have been driven past the point of irritation with the game, is to make ~15 (free) alternate accounts, and a total of 3 personal kinships (which I also use for Hobbit Presents every day). I had always been against it, but it paid off since I got them before Helm's Deep and if Turbine wants to play dirty with high prices, I can play dirty by exploiting their issues. Now I understand that this can make them price things higher to make up for losses, and that is one reason I was reluctant to do it, but I can guarantee you that if they added cheaper storage, more housing slots per account, a ton more "fluffy" decorations, new mechanics, and a new hook system, I would pay a ton more for that, even with my ability to exploit, and they'd make a lot more out of me, and I'm sure out of a lot of others too.

This game has a ton of potential for RPing and cosmetics, but putting the prices so high that only a select few can get it will not reap as much money as it could, not by a long shot (class horses for example; and the $150 class steed bundle... great deal, but never gonna happen).
    [center]100 Burglar - Baldigar, 100 Minstrel - Desmio, 100 LM - Cartontolos, 100 Warden - Handorost, 100 Beorning - Geirvarinn, 100 RK - Thrandstar, 100 Captain - Aeganros, 100 Guardian - Heornar, 58 Hunter - Saerielle[/center]
    [center][color=cyan][b]Landroval[/b][/color], The [color=orange][i]Blackheart Pirates[/i][/color][/center]
    [center][img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQrIwW8CUAAn8hK.png:large[/img][/center]
    [center][url=https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?527939-What-LotRO-needs-to-focus-on-(that-is-not-specifically-endgame)]My Mega Suggestions Thread[/url][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by pittcrew1 View Post
    ...putting the prices so high that only a select few can get it will not reap as much money as it could, not by a long shot (class horses for example; and the $150 class steed bundle... great deal, but never gonna happen).
    Agreed. And I have cancelled my subscription. I'm happy to buy things in the store that I *like*, but I refuse to mindlessly support any game when it's moving in a direction that concerns me.

Discouraging is how I view it. If you want to alienate players, go ahead and make it very expensive for storage. I might add that many in my kin are very upset over the price of storage too.
    [URL="http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Nibli/media/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/Nibli/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Landroval Server
    Officer of The Lonely Mountain Band
    Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish. The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by morrowbreeze View Post
    Discouraging is how I view it. If you want to alienate players, go ahead and make it very expensive for storage. I might add that many in my kin are very upset over the price of storage too.
    Turbine has charged these kind of prices in the Lotro Store for vault storage for years. What makes the housing storage different than vault storage?
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

* Housing storage can only be accessed at one location.
    * It is the only form of storage that can be shared between players.
    * There is already a price to get the house, on top of opening the chests, so the total chest cost is actually higher.
    * House storage has a rental fee. Bank storage is free once it's purchased.
    * You don't get a refund on your chest if you lose the house. Bank storage is forever.
    --= Windy Acres Ranch -- http://SteelAndMagic.com =--

What is the point of being a VIP subscriber if I cannot afford to set up my new house's storage - housing which, by all applicable standards, offers a sub-par feature set when compared with other game's housing in the MMO genre.

I am very disappointed with LoTRO's housing - specifically the costly changes to the housing storage: which, if you admit it, was the best part of the housing system in this game. It's an insulting slap in the face to be treated like a math-less simpleton (aka walking wallet) if I wish to utilize the meagre features that most of us feel should have been included with housing all along.
    [IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2pqvwxw.jpg[/IMG]

You can't open up the book of my life and jump in the middle

I have to agree with the above posters, pricing policy is crazy. If they priced the frippary more reasonably they would shift loads of product. Sadly this issue seems to have turned away many firm supporters of LOTRO. Who ever is incharge of pricing please wake up and try a new tactic. It can't hurt to try? Put the hobby horse up for 1000tp and see how many people buy it.
    Theninny.wordpress.com

I agreee with all the above. Too much money for the benefit. I've got two accounts, two deluxe houses, and a kin house. All grandfathered in at 60 or 90 slots. Won't be buying any more unless hobbit presents shower me with mithril unexpectedly. To be honest though, I don't really need it. I've got an empty chest in one house and in the kinhouse. My other house I've loaned to my Premium level friend to use as shared storage so he can buy QP with his hard earned TP.

The only use I've found for the Mithril coins is to get to new stables. I've got a few hundred from old festival ticket conversions and a few hobbit present wins. I've spent almost 20 of those on rides for five characters since HD went live. At that rate I've got enough to hold me for another 4-5 expansions.

Like many have said, better to spend TP on shared storage than on housing chests. It's much more flexible and persistent. I don't expect Turbine to change pricing, as they've not done so with anything else that's overpriced (e.g. war steed stuff). Maybe there's an unknown body of players with more money than sense who spend hundreds or thousands per month buying everything that exists. Good. Give them stuff to buy so the money keeps rolling in and the rest of us can continue enjoy the game.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

I am very disappointed with LoTRO's housing - specifically the costly changes to the housing storage: which, if you admit it, was the best part of the housing system in this game. It's an insulting slap in the face to be treated like a math-less simpleton (aka walking wallet) if I wish to utilize the meagre features that most of us feel should have been included with housing all along.

Amen. Message too short? Ah, I could think of some descriptive adjectives if it helps.
    Bards, Beers, & Longbeards!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/bardsbeerslongbeards[/URL]

The more I have been thinking about this latest change the more I feel no need to even bother with housing on the few servers or accounts that I do not already have one. I was working on getting an alt-kin up and running but with the new costs associated with getting the extra storage from a Kin house makes it pointless. They shall remain homeless, wandering from inn to inn and living out of the vaults.

It is real sad that people have gotten to the point where they feel so rejected that they have been canceling their subscriptions over this. How much longer before they just stop playing (and paying for TP directly) entirely.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by LemurCatta View Post
    It is real sad that people have gotten to the point where they feel so rejected that they have been canceling their subscriptions over this. How much longer before they just stop playing (and paying for TP directly) entirely.
    An excellent question. And I think you've chosen exactly the right word: rejected. It's not entirely a matter of expense; it's that I (personally) no longer feel appreciated as a customer. The prices didn't even have the decency to creep up slowly over time; one day Helm's Deep just hit and BOOM! ...housing is now laughably expensive.

If I did not have a lifetime account, I weld have already cancelled. It is not that I do not enjoy aspects of Lotro, in particular, social and exploration. But the game has turned into little more than the "Big Box Store" of games. Concentration seems to be on what can be added to the store, and not what would make the game more playable. The cost of housing, and the move towards mithril coins as payment for things makes it clear that it is all about the cash at WB and not about the true product.
    The Lonely Mountain Band
    Pouncival-Rank 15 aroo-Leader of the Pouncing Pwny
    We Pounce Because We Care

Sad before and after

I just got a deluxe house for a newly rolled alt. I can't remember the exact pricing to get the initial vaults, but it was a 600 silver to get set up I believe. It's not just costly to expand because now you can't get that initial storage. You get a chest in the house with no slots. You start from there. It's 1G for the first 15. 25g for the next 15. The next upgrade is 125G. I haven't done that upgrade yet, so don't know what it is after that. I'm guessing that will be when the mithril coins kick in. Mithril coins are a complete rip-off. Convenient? Sure. But too expensive.

So what used to cost 7G for the house and few hundred silver for the storage chests, now cost 7G for the house and 26G for the equivalent storage (30 slots).

This is outrageous. I hope they are listening. I really really hope...but sadly don't think anything will change. I love this game. I spend a LOT of money on this game, but the way things are heading they are pricing me right out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Katiepie View Post
    Who ever is in charge of pricing please wake up and try a new tactic. It can't hurt to try? Put the hobby horse up for 1000tp and see how many people buy it.
    *raises hand* I, for one, would buy the hobby horse for 1,000 TP.

On the same topic: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12...o-hobby-horse/

I hope that the folks who decide the price aren't thinking "well, let's put it out there for a high price and see if the players buy it". Failure doesn't mean simply lowering the price. It also comes at the cost of alienating the player base further.

I'm scared that many of my friends are going to leave LOTRO to play Everquest Next Landmark. Turbine, please help!

17. Quote Originally Posted by XinaLotRO View Post
    I hope that the folks who decide the price aren't thinking "well, let's put it out there for a high price and see if the players buy it". Failure doesn't mean simply lowering the price. It also comes at the cost of alienating the player base further.

I'm scared that many of my friends are going to leave LOTRO to play Everquest Next Landmark. Turbine, please help!
    I feel the same way. I understand that gold comes easier to max-level players (i.e. raiders, PvMPers, etc.), but what about the RPers and casual players out there?

Honor and fun,
    Dannigan of Landroval
    a.k.a Cubbles (because my friends gave me that nickname and I love them far too much to ditch it).

Lifetime Subscriber - Thank you so much for the referrals (you know who you are)!

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000158b0f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

/signed

If I wasn't a lifetime member, I might be going free-to-play as well. I can't afford a subscription, nor can I afford to pay much in the way of real money (i.e., dollars, TP, mithril coins) - especially for diminishing returns. Which is what Turbine is going to start seeing, if they continue this policy of charging way too much for little things. I don't mind a bit here and there, but if I can't afford a horse (and I mean a 1995-TP horse, not just the beautiful 4995-TP monster they've got right now) what makes them think I can afford to just throw it away for stuff like this?
    [color=#B79537]Kaerri of Landroval
    [img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/GrainneShadowlight/LotROsig.jpg[/img]
    Also Brendoran, Eliwren, Khered , Qiredis, and many others[/color]

For those with a bit of gold to spare and a little time:

The solution I have used to bypass this anti-Tolkien (he was very much against greed in all forms) money game was to create alternate accounts. It takes about 5 hours to level a character to 15 (I tend to wander off to the kitchen so it could probably be less time). You can buy a standard house for 950-1000, buy 30 chest slots for 6 gold, pay six months of mortgage for about 1 Gold. Set permissions for your main account(s) and have it pay for the chests and mortgage--bypassing the currency cap. In all a gold expenditure of about 8 gold for which you get 30 house slots and 30 slots in the alts personal vault plus a place to store extra furniture that you may have in your other storage. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. = )

I have four main accounts: 1 VIP and 3 Premium that have all the expansion packs except for HD yet (have to wait and see if I am going to stay). I also now have several F2P accounts and lots of cheap storage. Hopefully, it won't cost Turbine too much to host those extra F2P accounts so they can keep making things that I won't pay for.

Added bonus: Check in with those F2P accounts from time to time to get Hobbit Presents. There may be something of use...like marks that can be used to buy non-bound items for your other account(s).

My highest character is only 60-something. I bought the boxed version of SoA (original game) and digital versions of every expansion. I find it utterly repulsive that so much is turning into 'pay with mithril coins' (not to mention needing to buy quest packs for the areas I technically 'bought' with SoA when I go preferred...but whatever...dead horse). Why not just pay with Turbine Points? Buying TP to buy MC to buy something in-game is so beyond stupid it nearly makes my head explode.

I just cancelled my subscription (honestly I though I already had done so even though I preordered HD) because there really is no incentive whatsoever to remain a subscribed customer when we're being nickel-and-dimed for everything. So many wonderful suggestions have been made in regards to things players would be more than happy to pay TP for. It really is sad when you want to support a company and their game yet they continually give you so little reason to do so.
    ~ if you say 'plz' because it is shorter than 'please', then I'll say 'no' because it is shorter than 'yes' ~

Buying TP to buy MC to buy something in-game is so beyond stupid it nearly makes my head explode.
    Why? Why is it stupid to have a micro-currency?

Because it *isn't* a micro currency. TP is the micro currency already; and one Mithril Coin costs ten of these TP. I'd rather call it a meso currency, if anything. Try to determine the *exact* price of a given item that is available for Mithril Coins, and convert it back to Dollars and Cents. It will be very difficult, and that is how it is supposed to work. Like these shells and glass beads which you use for paying the extras in a holiday resort.

Greetings, Polymachos

Quote Originally Posted by SjsharksBoy View Post
    The problem isn't with having micro-currency, the issue is with having two forms of it, especially where one is required to buy into another. It obscures the actual real-world cost of goods, complicates the purchasing of items, and causes confusion and frustration.

I love Turbine Points. I only hate Mithril Coins. I simply don't understand why we need two semi-overlapping currencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsche View Post
    So many wonderful suggestions have been made in regards to things players would be more than happy to pay TP for.
    Extra housing storage is one of them. I have seen different times in the past players saying they would pay any amount for extra housing storage. Well I guess Turbine decided to take them up on that offer.

Quote Originally Posted by SjsharksBoy View Post
    This is a game. I repeat, this is only a game. But when it begins to effect real life financial choices, it loses a lot of its entertainment value.

Turbine has chosen to use most of the human failings when it comes to finances (e.g., instant gratification, not connecting the dots from MC to TP to credit card to real money). Yes, we re all responsible for our own finances, but is it really asking too much for our "fun" not to make us think we are getting a bargain when we are not.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast