We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Remembering Thrymm Session Play

I know I'm a little late to the party, questing in Wildermore when Helm's Deep is fresh out, but I'm having a bit of a problem.

The Remembering Thrymm SP is really, really hard (for those who don't remember, you play Thrymm, and defend two guys while taking on 50-something orcs in mounted combat). Like, I'm lucky to kill 2 of them before wearing out my horse and failing the SP. Granted, my main is a hunter, so I'm not super-familiar with melee mounted combat, but it can't just be that. I did some googling, and noticed that according to this: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ques...mbering_Thrymm I'm supposed to have seven mounted skills? When I play it, I've got three. Is this a bug? Did the Champion revamp for HD somehow mess up the SP? Or, did they actually change the SP, and I just can't find a reference in release notes?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000010837c/01006/signature.png]Laivine[/charsig]

Just failed it for the fourth time, checked the wiki and was asking myself the same. Well, wiki says it's hard. Also, apparently I can use the mounted combat skills after being dismounted. Guess I just try again...

Edit: Finally finished it. I just rode down to the orcs as soon as they appeared on the map pulling them away from the two NPCs. You only have the two damage skills, use them and ride away (do not just stand there as recommended in the wiki). You will have to ride around a bit to wait for the cooldown of the heal. When only a few orcs and the trolls are left it should be safe to get back to the NPCs and let them help. Also, while I was able to use the mounted skills after being dismounted, I could only do this a few times, then I got the message that I ran out of war steed power. At least that part of the session play seems to be bugged.
    Last edited by dohtahr; Nov 21 2013 at 10:39 AM.

Definitely bugged. I can only use those 3 mounted skills and Blood of The Dunedain. I eventually run out of war steed power and have no way to attack.

Thanks for the tips dohtahr, it helped me to beat it.
    Last edited by JamesJr218; Nov 21 2013 at 12:45 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000206f5a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I'll have to do this again soon, but the first time I went through it was a cakewalk. One of the skills was an AOE that about oneshot a wave of orcs at a time. I think it was in quickslot 5, so there is definitely something strange here.
    Bruuwnor, Dwarf Champion of Arkenstone, Pipeweed and Ale

When Helm's Deep launched, I reserved doing Wildermore on my captain to gain experience before I took him into the Westemnet. I have done this session play with three different characters and was successful before the expansion went live. However, it is missing the major AoE horn skill using Thrymm's fervour to kill up to eight orcs simultaneously. However, I was able to klll all the orcs and trolls one one attempt, but the instance bugged and didn't complete. One troll was killed while four orcs were still alive at the end. The other two NPC's were able to finish off the other enemies while I was unable to attack. After that, I was stuck in the session play and had to manually leave. As a result, I failed this attempt and just finished up the epic quests in Wildermore before I went to the Westemnet of Rohan. I hope the developers look into this as this session play is in the direct line of the Wildermore quests and has to be completed to unlock the other regions of Wildermore (Whitshaws, High Knolls, and Balewood). For now, my captain can't complete the Wildermore chain and will have to get Wildermore Rep alternative ways like warbands for example. I'll try the suggestion that was listed and see if I have success.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000b16fc/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to submit this as a bug and see where we get.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000010837c/01006/signature.png]Laivine[/charsig]

YES ... I was hoping I was not the only one with this issue. I remember doing the quest "Remembering Thrymm" before on other toons and I had a horn skill since he is a champion. I had done the quest on a Hunter and Loremaster (Note: it doesn't matter what class your toon really is. This quest is like other session plays found in Moria and whatnot) and got through it, even with all those orcs and trolls, because of the horn. It is the horn skill actually that you use over and over again since it is so powerful. Yesterday, however, when I tried the quest on my Champion I noticed there were only 3 abilities on my hot bar and I was confused. What was going on here!? Where were the other abilities?? More importantly ... Where was the bloody horn skill!??? I tried to pass the quest as the orcs keep coming and coming and coming ... I couldn't make a dent. My horse got killed and still I tried. Once the trolls came I knew I was done. So, again, I have to ask ... What is going on here???
    [IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/Amberdrake67/sig-lotro2_zps2d1c9938.jpg[/IMG]
    Have fun storming the castle!

Bug it if you hadn't already. I'd be surprised if Turbine gets around to fixing this one in a timely matter given how not-ready-for-primetime HD is right now. Did eventually get this quest done after an insane amount of attempts and expletives. For those insisting on completing it as is...here are my tips:

-Ride down to meet the orcs, aggro and kite the waves.

-Build Fervour using #1 and #2 skills on the mobs, preferably ranged since they're mostly stationary and can whittle your health down.

-Keep moving and aggroing the waves as they come.

-If the npcs aren't in combat, you can let them have a pack i.e. just let orcs run up the hill. But no more than that. They can take care of four with the two of them. Whenever you see their health go back up you can let them have another pack to whittle down the numbers. You're looking at about 13 waves + 2 trolls. Use your judgement...they get overwhelmed easily. When you see the trolls that's the end of the waves. Constantly scan for packs until you know they're done coming.

-Don't wait until the last minute to heal with #3, heal often preferably at full fervour otherwise whenever you can. Try get far far from the archers when you heal i.e. edge of map. #3 has a long cooldown relative to other skills.

-Build fervour on the mobs towards the fringe of the orc swarm, run away to heal. Don't ride through, it's almost an instant dismount. Build fervour on the ones split from the swarm if you can (usually archers).

-When your #3 is still on cooldown and your mount is going to be toast, head back to the NPCs. Hopefully you won't have a huge swarm, just the two trolls and maybe 15 or orcs.

-When you're finally dismounted, try be near Edsig (or whatever his name is) he will toss you heals if you're close enough to him. Click the down button to the immediate left of the skill bar to access the mounted combat abilities. You may have enough power to use dps skills #1,2 only a couple times. Try to use them on the mobs aggro'd on Edsig, or the other npc only at great need, and then drag them away. Try and kite the swarm in a circle around Edsig. He will switch to bow if the distance is enough and your health is above 50% or so. The other noob npc only follows in melee and will occasionally taunt (usually when you don't him to.) They deal higher dps in range.

-Since you're not mounted, you won't regen the mounted skills power. When you're out of power, switch back to the first hotbar skill page and spam the everloving snot out of the only skill you got...the Dunedain HoT. I have no idea how but somehow that little HoT is enough to keep yourself atop the global threat table despite Edsig dropping some massive heals and the noob npc taunting. Who cares, thank Eru for little mercies yeah? Continue kiting the mobs around Edsig until the other noob npc kills them all. Yeah, could be a while.

Yes, it's gonna take some time and practice to get it all down. If you get killed and you're really close to completing the objective...I'd stay in and see what happens. Otherwise hit Esc, exit session and try again. Pretty sure if you die it wipes the aggro table on the swarm, and the npcs are face tanking all of them...so try not to die. Noticed some wonkiness with aggro using the Dunedain HOT after rezzing ie. can pull a mob or two with it, but YMMV.

Hope this helps someone, good luck!
    Last edited by catofnine; Nov 23 2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added how to get to mounted skills after being dismounted.
    Relax, it's only just a string of 1s and 0s.

You know its not just the lack of attacks the mount is insane and will not slow down it barely moves then will not slow down so its insane

I think the more people who submit a bug report, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by catofnine View Post
    -When you're finally dismounted, try be near Edsig (or whatever his name is) he will toss you heals if you're close enough to him. You may have enough power to use dps skills #1,2 only a couple times.
    Quite impossible. When I tried and got dismounted, I only had one skill; a self heal. Remounting was not an option, only trying numerous times over was. I never made this quest, so I sent in a bug report on launchday of HD.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000156e5/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Shariva View Post
    Quite impossible. When I tried and got dismounted, I only had one skill; a self heal. Remounting was not an option, only trying numerous times over was. I never made this quest, so I sent in a bug report on launchday of HD.
    Actually, the weirder part is, you can use those skills, if you think to switch your quickslot bar back to the mounted bar. What's weirder yet is they still depend on warsteed power even though you don't have a warsteed anymore.

Apparently this quest was always held together with chewing gum and bailing wire, and it was only when four of the seven skills vanished that we started to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shariva View Post
    Actually possible--your mounted skills are on the last "page" or row of your hotbar skills. Click the little down button to the immediate left of the bar slots to access them. You'll have no way of remounting, but you can use those skills until you run out of power. To get back to the single Dunedain HoT click the up button.
    Relax, it's only just a string of 1s and 0s.

Could not have done it without this video. Thanks much for posting it. I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to be able to finish Wildermore
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000d6f8f/01003/signature.png]Thorsmork[/charsig]