We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What's missing...

So... having beta tested the Captain for Helm's Deep, I'm suprised to find some of the skills missing. For instance, there's the Power enhancing version of Defence of Middle Earth (toggle). In the healing trait line, there's no traits to boost critical hits (which WERE there in beta).

I'm a little puzzled that these things are missing.

Also, it was bad enough we have to yell incoherently all through a battle, why do we need to do it with two different voices at the same time? One voice is enough, though it would be nice to actually yell WORDS the way dwarves do.

I rather preferred having the ability to target the banner skills. Now, the banner appears impaled through the target. It looks kind of silly, and might not be as helpful as being able to plant it among party members (for healing banners, for example). Give us back the ability to plant the thing where WE want.

I filed a bug report and commented on the beta forum about the new "idle" combat animations. Try this: Equip a one handed weapon, like a dagger, but don't equip a shield. Then, start a fight and watch the animation. Before, we used to stand, both feet on the ground, shifting our weight back and forth. Now, we hop back and forth on our toes as if the ground is too hot to stand on. It looks SILLY. Please change this back, too.

I only had a few minutes to check in, so I'm sure I'll be adding more in the days to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post
    So... having beta tested the Captain for Helm's Deep, I'm suprised to find some of the skills missing. For instance, there's the Power enhancing version of Defence of Middle Earth (toggle).
    This was removed because nobody liked it.

In the healing trait line, there's no traits to boost critical hits (which WERE there in beta).
    I assume you mean critical rating? That trait was swapped out a couple of betas ago.

I rather preferred having the ability to target the banner skills. Now, the banner appears impaled through the target. It looks kind of silly, and might not be as helpful as being able to plant it among party members (for healing banners, for example). Give us back the ability to plant the thing where WE want.
    I enjoyed it too, but a majority of the testers disliked having to specifically place the banner, so it was changed to just go to whatever was targeted. Rock is working on adding an extra trait which will add the ground targeting back in as an optional feature.

So... having beta tested the Captain for Helm's Deep, I'm suprised to find some of the skills missing. For instance, there's the Power enhancing version of Defence of Middle Earth (toggle). In the healing trait line, there's no traits to boost critical hits (which WERE there in beta).
    As Tin said the power skill was killed.

As for boosting critical hits, you should notice that HoH has been given a +50% healing critical multiplier as trait set bonus, and that the "+1% to 5% outgoing healing when using shield" will probably be changed to something like +20% healing critical multiplier.

I did beta testing, but missed out on the last two due to RL responsibilities, or I would have protested the removal of the power version of Defense. That was the only version I actually used.

I don't know why anyone would dislike being able to put the banners where they want them, it's so much more flexible tactically. Another loss.

Ya, I mean critical rating. It gave HoH Captains a little bite, which they utterly lack now. A great majority of my damage output was based on critical hits (which also opened up reactives, which is less of an issue now), so without the boost to that we used to have, our offense is chopped down severely. I can't imagine why this escaped the testers in the last two phases...

I hope they will continue to adjust these kinds of things. I'm not terribly happy with my Captain now, and I had begun to look forward to him after the first few beta phases.

My fingers are crossed.

Ya, I mean critical rating. It gave HoH Captains a little bite, which they utterly lack now. A great majority of my damage output was based on critical hits (which also opened up reactives, which is less of an issue now), so without the boost to that we used to have, our offense is chopped down severely. I can't imagine why this escaped the testers in the last two phases...
    It didn't. The first line of LtC now gives 5% crit chance to DB/PA (which can proc the defeat events I think you're talking about), which is immensely stronger than the ~600 crit rating we could get in traits before that. Also, HoH has a trait for +5% healing crit chance and LtC has a trait for +3% melee crit chance.
    My lvl 95 Captain still has a long way to go gear wise and yet I'm still at 22-23% crit chance, capping it should be quite possible. Therefore I think the change from +rating to +% is a great improvement.

Well, having played with it a bit last night, I find you're right. My attacks, especially traited red, are quite spectacular (I did over 4000 damage in one strike!). Perhaps time is all that's needed. I'm sure they will still have a few kinks to work out.

I do still prefer enhancing power, and I miss being able to put the banner where I want to, but I can live with it as it is, I suppose.

Well, having played with it a bit last night, I find you're right. My attacks, especially traited red, are quite spectacular (I did over 4000 damage in one strike!).
    I've seen a couple captains with 10k+ hits. If we're unbalanced, I'm actually tempted to say we're a little OP on DPS. I think we could be knocked down a bit on DPS and it'd still be leagues better than what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    I've seen a couple captains with 10k+ hits. If we're unbalanced, I'm actually tempted to say we're a little OP on DPS. I think we could be knocked down a bit on DPS and it'd still be leagues better than what it used to be.
    Not traiting blue, I don't think we're OP at all.

As I say, I think we're going to be ok. It's my Loremaster and my Runekeeper I'm becoming concerned about now...

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Well yes and no, while some of our hit do hit for over 10k (my best is 18k so far with To Arms and oathies iirc), it's only really Dev Blow that hit so hard, and our non-crits are not exactly overpowered. I don't know whether we really need a nerf, but it should not only be decided by looking at our highest crits.

Honestly, having played it for a bit now, I don't think it needs any tweaking. Seems pretty good, overall. I would still have liked the power enhancing In Defense, but I've not really had any issues with power yet.

In all, my main complaints about Helm's Deep have been conceptual or artistic. For instance, Loremasters are wizards now, tossing fire and lightning all over the place. Magic is supposed to be subtle; this is Middle Earth, not Everquest or D&D. Still trying things, though.