We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Had a new one pop up for me today:

Hornburg : Siege Ladders side quest. The final 2 or 3 siege ladders are unclickable, making the quest impossible to complete. I completed this quest before, since the last patch, so this might just be a little anomaly.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000076582/signature.png]Turwen[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Dosiere View Post

Hornburg : Siege Ladders side quest. The final 2 or 3 siege ladders are unclickable, making the quest impossible to complete. I completed this quest before, since the last patch, so this might just be a little anomaly.
    I'm sure this has come up before in this thread, but I'll answer it anyway; if you 'kill' a ladder hook before the ladder is up, you won't be able to click the ladder. Make sure you wait until you can see the enemy climbing off the ladder before you start dpsing the hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Pan View Post
    I'm sure this has come up before in this thread, but I'll answer it anyway; if you 'kill' a ladder hook before the ladder is up, you won't be able to click the ladder. Make sure you wait until you can see the enemy climbing off the ladder before you start dpsing the hooks.
    Ah thank you! I did skim the thread but did not read every post, so sorry if this came up already. Thank you though, it was terribly frustrating.

I read on this thread it is not possible to get Platinum on the Hornburg even if you get Plat on both side quests and no soldiers/banners/commanders die. Is that still true?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000076582/signature.png]Turwen[/charsig]

I read on this thread it is not possible to get Platinum on the Hornburg even if you get Plat on both side quests and no soldiers/banners/commanders die. Is that still true?
    Yes, it is. The Hornburg main quest wants you to complete 3 side quests on platinum for it to be platinum as well (like Helm's Dike and Glittering Caves). Of course, you only get 2 side quests, so that's quite impossible.

Not sure if it's the bug others have experienced or not so figured I would ask here.

On 3-man "Cave In" in Glittering Caves, we were doing well. Not a single mob had reached the barricades. With about a minute left on the timer Gimli panicked, declared we were overwhelmed, and caved in the entrance.

Now, I've completed this with platinum before a few times. I didn't notice anything different between the two runs. The kill rate in the successful runs may have been slightly faster but not sure. Is this the issue? Or does Gimli just confuse ''overwhelmed'' with ''slightly inconvenienced'' on occasion regardless of how fast you kill?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Norahcdir View Post
    Not sure if it's the bug others have experienced or not so figured I would ask here.

On 3-man "Cave In" in Glittering Caves, we were doing well. Not a single mob had reached the barricades. With about a minute left on the timer Gimli panicked, declared we were overwhelmed, and caved in the entrance.

Now, I've completed this with platinum before a few times. I didn't notice anything different between the two runs. The kill rate in the successful runs may have been slightly faster but not sure. Is this the issue? Or does Gimli just confuse ''overwhelmed'' with ''slightly inconvenienced'' on occasion regardless of how fast you kill?

Thank you.
    I'll raise you one. I and a friend had Gimli die during the Cave In quest. Mind you, we killed all the side quest mobs before they got anywhere near the barricades, so they weren't the problem. Gimli was also at full morale when we left to do the side quest (when is he ever really in danger?). We were nearly finished with the platinum as usual when all of a sudden the poor Dwarf perished. (I think maybe he got too bloodthirsty and tried to kill the adds that were still behind the Wall of Death. )
    Last edited by Aranedain; Jan 09 2014 at 10:58 AM.

Now, I've completed this with platinum before a few times. I didn't notice anything different between the two runs. The kill rate in the successful runs may have been slightly faster but not sure. Is this the issue?
    This seems to be the issue. I've never seen it bug when killing mobs at full speed (2 champs or 1 champ/1 minstrel). If you're a class without much AoE, just get a ballista aimed at the spawn point.

Thanks guys. It was pretty late so probably a case of just not bringing our A-game. I was lead and couldn't explain what we did wrong so wanted to find out. Glad it's not a random bug and there's something we can do. And hey, at least Gimli did not die and was able to continue hacking at the ground.

I've heard the ballista mentioned a couple times for this instance. Where is it? Haven't stumbled upon it on the normal paths unless you can disassemble the big one Gamling uses.

Thanks again and take care

I've heard the ballista mentioned a couple times for this instance. Where is it? Haven't stumbled upon it on the normal paths unless you can disassemble the big one Gamling uses.
    There's a small ballista in a crate behind you the moment you enter the instance. There's also a barricade (or two, if you're doing the solo/duo), which you can dismantle and take with you to help slow/damage the mobs in quests like Cave In, Bombs and Bats, Civilian Defense, etc.

Thanks! Found it. Works well

I experienced this one as well. Apparently you have to wait until the ladders are raised against the wall before you defeat the hooks.

Another one I just got last night with The Hornburg: I was duoing with a kin-member and it took a LONG time for a side quest to finally pop up (It was the ladders one). After that, we got the second side quest (protect the ballistae) very soon after, but the main instance finished about 1/3 through the waves of the side quest, and we were unable to complete it (the side quest), leaving us with a silver medal for the overall instance, when we should have been awarded a better medal (got platinum on the ladder quest).
    Aethelbehrt ~ Captain of Landroval
    Haradwen ~ Warden of Landroval
    Zôraphel ~ Burglar of Landroval

Bugs I've encountered tend to be in Hornburg - Ladders being unclickable (as above) - and two very frustrating ones in Deeping Coomb.

The last troll in Protect the Supplies nearly always bugs out.
    There is simply not enough time to complete the Debris quest. Sometimes it is possible duo if you're VERY lucky, but no chance solo.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    There is simply not enough time to complete the Debris quest. Sometimes it is possible duo if you're VERY lucky, but no chance solo.
    This is the problem of most quests with timer. If you are trying it solo, you will most likely fail because the timer runs out. Debris is one good example of that . Your merit bar shows that you are getting gold for this and then BAM: Quest Failed.

Another example is Preparing The Charge in Glittering Caves. You have 6 minutes, and in that time you have to travel to quest area, disable at least three barricades (which takes 20 seconds each if you are not high ranked), then you have to kill three uruk-bosses and most likely 2-3 mob-squads that each have 4-5 mobs. Oh, and disable traps as well if you want to get higher medal than bronze. I might add that for some reason those mobs hit VERY hard: I don't have problems with 4 mobs in landscape, but I seem to get killed if I attack all four mobs at once in this battle (at least with red captain or burglar). And of course if you do get killed, you might as well forget the quest as you have to travel to quest location from spawn point again and you don't have time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilean-EU View Post
    This is the problem of most quests with timer. If you are trying it solo, you will most likely fail because the timer runs out. Debris is one good example of that . Your merit bar shows that you are getting gold for this and then BAM: Quest Failed.

Another example is Preparing The Charge in Glittering Caves. You have 6 minutes, and in that time you have to travel to quest area, disable at least three barricades (which takes 20 seconds each if you are not high ranked), then you have to kill three uruk-bosses and most likely 2-3 mob-squads that each have 4-5 mobs. Oh, and disable traps as well if you want to get higher medal than bronze. I might add that for some reason those mobs hit VERY hard: I don't have problems with 4 mobs in landscape, but I seem to get killed if I attack all four mobs at once in this battle (at least with red captain or burglar). And of course if you do get killed, you might as well forget the quest as you have to travel to quest location from spawn point again and you don't have time for that.

In fact, Turbine lied to us. They said solo/duo BB where designed for playing solo. It is simply and clearly not true.

It may be hard, but I have in fact finished a solo plat on preparing the charge. This was on my captain, and I was in red-line. Granted, I was maxed out on speed for disabling the traps and such, but this is possible.

That being said, I do agree that the possible complete failure of the timed quests is kinda annoying. A better solution would be to finish it, with a major merit decrease due to being 'too late' (like in securing the culvert on raid-size).

Quote Originally Posted by Awenir24 View Post
    This one is pretty straightforward. If you're an Engineer, deconstruct a couple of barricades, and place them on the narrowest point of the bridge. Upgrade them.
    Then, deconstruct the ballista, and place that on the bridge too. Aim it right at the base of the barricades. Place a tripwire just beyond the barricade too (as a backup). When the bad guys show up? Blast them.
    This tactic also works with "Bombs and Bats", and will get you a platinum every time. Guaranteed.
    I tested Glittering Caves 3-man, but solo, and it was weird.
    I got "Bombs and Bats" : I put 2 barricades, but they could burn several barricades so I tried to extinguish the fire by doing AoE at same time.
    I thought it was a total failure... and I got Platinum

Glittering Caves Duo Bombs and Bats

Landroval!
    Fellrotten - Rank 12 Battlemaster LM - Zero Stars. Survivor of the Barrow-Downs. Ivar's Champion. [url=https://www.lotro.com/en/forums/showthread.php?370017-Skirmish-LT-meta-deed-mount/]Embarassing Completionist[/url]
    Soccercake - 93 Dude Minstrel
    Mulieribus - 93 Dorf Champion
    Rahey - 93 Hobbit-Hunter
    Anniemal - 92 Elf RK
    Pueblo - 77 Cappy!

Has anyone finished Searching the Debris since the update?

We had a flawless run but the last soldier did not make it to safety before the quest finished.
    Also, the final soldier could not be healed by player heals, only by the quest heal.

Glittering Caves - Winches in the Windows

The quest completes but the enemy mobs still keep coming in.
    Xcelion / Nucleus (Firefoot Server)
    [url]http://www.twitch.tv/xcelion[/url]
    "You Should have seen your Face, HAAAAA, Classic"

Quote Originally Posted by Shooby View Post

We had a flawless run but the last soldier did not make it to safety before the quest finished.
    Also, the final soldier could not be healed by player heals, only by the quest heal.

Nope. I ran about a dozen times with a friend and could get a completion. It failed every time. It seemed that no matter how quickly the waves were killed ( even one-shotting with the ballista at the spawn point, searching all 12 debri, healing every soldier, and disabling every powder cask), the final wave would never complete. We always ran out of time at 8/9 waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorain_Atreides View Post
    Nope. I ran about a dozen times with a friend and could get a completion. It failed every time. It seemed that no matter how quickly the waves were killed ( even one-shotting with the ballista at the spawn point, searching all 12 debri, healing every soldier, and disabling every powder cask), the final wave would never complete. We always ran out of time at 8/9 waves.
    I did that quest yesterday after the patch. Doing this one solo, I have usually failed every time before the patch. Now, I was able to search all 12 debris piles, and I saw I had less than minute to go and 7/9 waves completed. I thought I was going to fail again. But a few seconds later I got a message saying I completed it with gold medal! I guess the mobs of the last two waves were so scattered that my soldiers chased them down and killed them at the same time. However, getting platinum is probably all about the luck (which is always bad thing), depends in which pace you find those soldiers. Also ONE MINUTE COOLDOWN for soldier healing skill is way too much. It has to be half of that, if there has to be a cooldown in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by wsnyderco
    Glittering Caves - Winches in the Windows

The quest completes but the enemy mobs still keep coming in.
    That quest is in Hornburg Battle, not in Glittering Caves. However, I got that quest too yesterday. Mobs despawned when quest completed. Also I got platinum from that one - and since I got platinum from the first quest as well, I was able to see that now it is possible to get platinum medal from main quest of Hornburg battle as well. In fact, that was my first (solo) platinum medal from the main quest - ever - and I was playing with my burglar (engineer Rank 2) when I got it

Yep, did it twice yesterday, plat once and gold the other time. In both cases, had a melee class buddy AOE'ing the waves while I clicked debris, disarmed bombs and healed soldiers (using quest mechanic, I'm not healing class). In the Platinum case, I got to the last debris pile seconds before he killed the last wave...in the Gold one, my buddy finished the final wave just before I could click on the final debris pile (and we still had a minute on the timer left, but killing the last wave concludes the quest). You'd think you should be able to do those tasks in either order as long as the timer hasn't run out, but you must definitely time it so debris leads kills.

Two new bugs discovered after 12.2.

First one is notorious Civilian Defense in Glittering Caves. As if the quest was not hard enough for soloers aready (because trolls hit like a truck and barricades are made of paper), now you get the first troll as usual, with the normal waves, but then the rest of the trolls, FOUR of them, come all at once (or, within 6 seconds from the first of four to the last), with adds of course. That results in no better than iron medal because trolls destroy both barricades in seconds.

Another bug is with Protecting The Gatehouse in Hornburg. I was doing a perfect run - no damage to the gate, all NPC's alive etc, but quest just suddenly ended when the quest was on 20/24 with defeated enemies. So, because not every enemy was destroyed (the last 4 didn't even spawn yet), I got gold instead of platinum.

Two new bugs discovered after 12.2.

First one is notorious Civilian Defense in Glittering Caves. As if the quest was not hard enough for soloers aready (because trolls hit like a truck and barricades are made of paper), now you get the first troll as usual, with the normal waves, but then the rest of the trolls, FOUR of them, come all at once (or, within 6 seconds from the first of four to the last), with adds of course. That results in no better than iron medal because trolls destroy both barricades in seconds.
    This is one of the hardest side-quests but hasn't it always been the case that the last 4 trolls come close together?
    The only reliable way to do this is to set trip wires and aim a ballista close to the spawn point.
    For extra fire-power, use both ballistas and a couple of barricades too.
    It's possible to get solo platinum in both 3-man and duo version like this.
    Also it's important to know that the soldiers do not need your help in the duo version, so you should spend all your time preparing for side quests.

Another bug is with Protecting The Gatehouse in Hornburg. I was doing a perfect run - no damage to the gate, all NPC's alive etc, but quest just suddenly ended when the quest was on 20/24 with defeated enemies. So, because not every enemy was destroyed (the last 4 didn't even spawn yet), I got gold instead of platinum.
    I believe the quest requires "Engineers reinforce the gate (24/24)" but if you didn't lose any NPCs then it sounds like the instance timed out before the side-quest completed. The solution (work-around) is to kill more enemies with the catapult to avoid the side quests starting too late. Further explanation in this thread https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...st-is-finished

This is one of the hardest side-quests but hasn't it always been the case that the last 4 trolls come close together?
    The only reliable way to do this is to set trip wires and aim a ballista close to the spawn point.
    For extra fire-power, use both ballistas and a couple of barricades too.
    It's possible to get solo platinum in both 3-man and duo version like this.
    If I recall right, after update 12.0 trolls came one-by one until all 5 were in. This might have been in beta though, not 100% sure about that. But I am sure that before 12.2, only the last two trolls came together. Now, last 4 trolls come together... Or, in such a row that you can hit only one with ballista, and one hit is not enough to kill a troll. With two ballistas you could hit two trolls or kill one, maybe even more with a barricade (there is only one "boxed" barricade in instance, unless you pick up the "normal" barricade, but in that case you need to be pretty high ranked). But with one barricade and one ballista I was completely overrun.
    Also it's important to know that the soldiers do not need your help in the duo version, so you should spend all your time preparing for side quests.
    While you can for the most part leave soldiers alone and concentrate on side quests, you cannot leave them alone all the time, even in solo battles. Although I have been cutting down the numbers in main attack waves with catapult/ballista, there are often soldiers that are in low health. Banners must be repaired, even if you order soldiers to focus on the sappers. Every now and then, a soldier goes down.

Just today something happened that I haven't experienced on live before. I was doing Deeping Wall (solo), I got platinum from the first side-quest, and everything was going well (soldiers/banners were okay etc), I used catapult few times and went to the wheel-house for the side-quest "Vandals In The Tower". I was doing pretty well there, I had cleared 5/6 waves when I got a message "Rohirrim commander has died". I wondered why was that, when suddenly a horde of orcs came from the wall to that wheelhouse, in addition to the last wave of the side-quest! Now, they killed the whole right-side of the main wall, and just before the quest ended, I had lost about 10 soldiers, 2 banners and 1 commander. A platinum from first side quest, a gold from the second one, and bronze from the main quest because of this overrun fiasco

I believe the quest requires "Engineers reinforce the gate (24/24)" but if you didn't lose any NPCs then it sounds like the instance timed out before the side-quest completed. The solution (work-around) is to kill more enemies with the catapult to avoid the side quests starting too late. Further explanation in this thread https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...st-is-finished
    No, the main quest was still going at least 4 minutes after that side-quest ended. Before 12.2. I have been able to finish the quest properly with 24/24 killed mobs, but this time the side-quest just ended at 20/24, and it was few seconds later I killed the 20th mob, during the small pause before the waves. /bugged that.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast