We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    In the interest of making sure there's as much data as possible, here's mine:

Laptop; WinXP SP3; Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset w/ 224MB (I believe the graphics memory is shared with system RAM); 2GB memory; Bugged

For those who don't know where to find some of this info, this small, free utility may be of help: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Yes, this is a very old laptop and really does need to be replaced. Unfortunately, I have been out of work for a few months and literally have no money right now so an upgrade isn't even in the same universe as me. That being said, I've always been able to run LOTRO at fairly high setting with no more problems than a lowish framerate (I typically get from the mid teens to the mid 20s). It's a choice I'm willing to live with for the nicer visuals. Rohan has been a trouble spot; I have to step things down almost as low as they go just to get double digits at all.

My theory matches up pretty well with yours, CrashBash. At some point before the update, somebody made a (thought to be) insignificant tweak to the rendering system which broke things for older graphics chipsets. Does anybody know if this problem showed up at all during the Beta? My fear is that unless Turbine has a lot of older computers or laptops lying around (seems somewhat unlikely) we could be in for a wait before they can track down the problem and fix it.

The saddest part is whatever change was made could very well be small enough to not even be noticeable except in a few very special cases other than this bug. Here's hoping that somebody figures out which bit to flip quickly!

(Edited to add) It should also be noted that a couple months ago I did some experimentation and found I was able to run two clients on this computer simultaneously. It wasn't the smoothest operation, but it worked. I tried three, but was warned by the system that I didn't have enough graphics memory available. The LOTRO game engine is (used to be) a lot more forgiving than many people give it credit.
    Hmm, Mine is also 945GM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002b3de9/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Never forget 2/14-16
    Survivor of the Great Down Time of 2013

Most of the other MMORPG's I play do not support Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset graphics. The video drivers can't handle pixel shader effects. I suspect the new HD 12.1 update changed the rendering of the characters to use this special image effect or similar which these old Intel graphic chips cannot draw. Since Pixel shader effects are handled by logic circuits no software driver can emulate them. The only option is to disable this effect "in-game" for low-end video chips. I further suspect with HD 12.1 Turbine didn't include the lower graphic character image bundles in the newly downloaded .DAT files. So regardless of how many times you re-install or re-download the files nothing will change till those bundles are added.

Idea : which ever player guesses closest to the cause of this BUG wins a prize?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruta View Post

Yes, Marethryth earlier in this thread apparently experienced this same problem even in the beta, and submitted a bug report. ( So it's been known since before release?! And nothing was said to us? )
    The fact that a bug like this made it to live does not surprise me. This has been a common frustration with Turbine's "Beta" process since long before I started playing. I'm also not especially surprised that it didn't make the known issues list. Somewhat angry? Yes. But not surprised.

The few of us who have gotten new Turbine Support 'suggestions' have made no progress fixing this. I'm worried they'll just toss the whole thing. "Nope. Go buy a new computer."
    I personally do not put much hope in the tech support system. It seems that every tech support person I have talked to in years has been somebody who knows much, much less than me reading from a list of the most common "solutions", which I have already tried.

There was commentary some time back that Turbine was re-assessing the minimum requirements for the game. If they raised them they need to tell us. *NOW* The system requirements page http://support.turbine.com/link/port...ents-for-LOTRO reads the same as it has for years and is laughably out of date even without the possibility of new GPU requirements. I just checked - my fully up-to-date install (lo-res client) weighs in at nearly 13GB, considerably beyond the "up to 10GB" listed. At least one of CrashBash's bugged systems (it's hard to tell exactly where the Intel chipset falls) far exceeds the listed requirements as well.

I share your worry, Ruta. Originally, my sentence starting with "My fear..." was concluded with "assuming they decide it's even worth fixing", but I decided that sounded too negative and took it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybyn View Post
    They just told me my system/hardware is not the best to play lotro. Thank you Turbine, I've already knew it.
    They suggested to try medium graphic settings. Thank you, I've already did that, and till the update, it worked just fine. Now it doesn't work (still.).

I've just wrote a really polite mail (was a struggle) to them to actually read this ..... topic as there are some real ideas.... >_> I'm afraid they won't, actually.

Not sure what now. I'm getting tired of this. I love lotro, and it's not a long time since I'm playing, and don't want to give up on it just now... but will give up for today -_-; good luck for anyone who is still trying to get a real answer from Turbine!

*edited for grammar. can't grammar when this upset.
    Well, I could play on high settings, with some lagg and everything was fine. Now I still have the problem even when I turn everything to the minimum of the minimum...
    I don't think that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashBash View Post
    Post your specs.

PC type / OS / Graphics Chip / Memory / Game Play
    ----------------------------------------------
    desktop / Win7 / AMD Radeon 1GB card / 4GB / = working
    desktop / Win7 / nVidia 2GB GTX650 card / 4GB / = working
    desktop / WinXP / nVidia 2GB GTX650 card / 4GB / = working
    laptop / Win7 / Intel 512MB onboard / 3GB / = BUG
    laptop / Win7 / nVidia 512MB onboard / 3GB / = working
    laptop / WinXP / ATI 256MB onboard / 2GB / = BUG

one of my desktop PCs has two HDs so I switch between them to install "major Turbine updates" on the XP harddrive to test if it breaks the game before loading up my main Win7 64bit build.
    The old XP laptop is mine and has the BUG, the others are my friends whom are fighting to use the only one that still loads the Helms Deep update correctly.

Our guess is the new Helms Deep Update skipped some low end onboard video chip driver configurations. I'm sure the BUG also affects many desktop tower PCs which only use onboard graphics. My main towers were built for other games thus they both have nVidia cards. If you ever thought about upgrading your motherboard by installing a graphics card buy only nVidia GTX and buy during Black Friday or Boxing Day. I suggest 2GB of dedicated VRAM but 1GB works fine for LOTRO set to high graphics effects settings.

For those with laptops or cannot afford to upgrade hardware you'll have to wait for a Turbine Patch. Make sure you try to set the game's graphics settings to lowest then logout then back to test.
    Interesting... Is it because it's onboard? I got an integrated graphics card too.
    That could be our problem. That some onboard cards aren't supported any-more.

Anyway, no improvements yet...

Mobile Intel 945GM Express here.

I hope either Turbine or someone more tech-savvy than me can find a workaround for this :/

I guess I got the final word from the tech support. Quoted from the mail:
    "(...)As the chipset does not meet the minimum system requirements for the game it is not developed to be run on these and that it was in the past indicates that the chipset had the ability to emulate enough of the features that the game was functional but this may be the result of the updates now exceeding its ability to do so.(...)"

They suggested to take the graphics to the lowest - but clearly this doesn't solve our problem. They also told me to make a bug a report, but I wonder if they'll do anything about it.

@Elazaer yeah same here, I could play with the best graphic settings, too, before the update. After the update I can see the shadow of the characters with the best possible graphic setting, with low settings I saw nothing but the floating names.

My data:

PC type / OS / Graphics Chip / Memory / Game Play
    laptop / WinXP / Intel(R) GMA 950 / 2GB / BUG.

Yes I know my laptop is pretty much a fossil and not for gaming. But it works and lotro WORKED on it. Right now it seems like either I'll learn to play blind, or buy a new computer - which won't happen in the next half year or so.

As I have pointed out before, if the issue was with the game everyone would have it, it's how the game runs on your comp. Regardless of anything else it is rather naive to think game developers will continue to support way, way out of date systems. It's just not cost effective for them. Sorry, I feel your pain though, I ran a gateway comp way past obsolescence; 9 years. Not that there was anything wrong with the comp, it was just too old to run new apps or play games on. It works better now then when I got it; as I maxed it's upgradeability while I was using it, it still works well being 14 years old, it's just that it is no good for anything other then web surfing. 2.5 single core, 2 gig ram, 256 card, XP.

Right now, even on this new machine I have to have graphics set to their lowest for the oh so advanced intel 2500HD graphics chip. I need a good graphics card but lack the $75 for a decent one; I could get a cheepy for $30 and would probably be better then this intel chip, but I want something that will be good for a while, not something that is so weak it is already out dated.

It's just a fact of nature, evolve or go extinct. I don't like it ether, if something happened to this comp I'd be back on that gatewayasures rex, and not playing any games. When the mobo fried on my last comp I was stuck on that gateway for months before I finally managed to save enough for a new one. I still keep that gateway for just such emergencies.

I can still run the game just fine even on higher graphic settings. I just can't see my toon or NPC/mobs. Just seems like something got left out of the new code that was always there before that allowed integrated graphics to work. I would think its a simple fix if only Tubine would look into it. I'm starting to feel like a second rate customer.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002b3de9/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Never forget 2/14-16

Quote Originally Posted by Insanesoul View Post
    I can still run the game just fine even on higher graphic settings. I just can't see my toon or NPC/mobs. Just seems like something got left out of the new code that was always there before that allowed integrated graphics to work. I would think its a simple fix if only Tubine would look into it. I'm starting to feel like a second rate customer.
    Yes, what really bugs me is that:
    - Everything worked fine on any graphics setting before HD.
    - After HD NPC's don't show up anymore.
    - After HD all the other graphics (except NPC's) do show up.
    - After HD running in any setting all the textures still work except the NPC's.

I can understand that our card are getting outdated. But why do the NPC textures not work on any setting but the game world still functions normal on any setting.
    You'd think that HD got a graphics update and the textures might not work there. But why doesn't it work in Moria? Eriador? Beginning on Rhovanion?

I find it particularly strange...

I think something did change with the textures (and their files) this time. I have noted a change in the graphical appearance quality (better, in my case) without changing any settings (unless the client did it automatically and I don't see where any of the settings I can tweak have changed).
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Angry

To make things worst i just got a sigil on my BA.Any appearance that i would get is useless.I just hope this will be fixed soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Elazaer View Post
    Yes, what really bugs me is that:
    - Everything worked fine on any graphics setting before HD.
    - After HD NPC's don't show up anymore.
    - After HD all the other graphics (except NPC's) do show up.
    - After HD running in any setting all the textures still work except the NPC's.

I can understand that our card are getting outdated. But why do the NPC textures not work on any setting but the game world still functions normal on any setting.
    You'd think that HD got a graphics update and the textures might not work there. But why doesn't it work in Moria? Eriador? Beginning on Rhovanion?

I find it particularly strange...
    Checking the hotfix notes, at least MAC users can see things now. I need a response from turbine in the next few days for this problem or I'm looking for a refund. STOL is looking tempting right now.

A few lucky people in my kin may become very wealthy people.
    Never forget 2/14-16

Checking the hotfix notes, at least MAC users can see things now. I need a response from turbine in the next few days for this problem or I'm looking for a refund. STOL is looking tempting right now.

The least they could do is to let us know if it's our PC's or a problem with the game..
    But not a single response yet..

So, some users with MACs had this exact problem... and it was resolved with the hotfix? If that's true that's actually encouraging to me, at least a little. Where can I read about that? Because if the invisibility is caused — as some suggested — by having computers with mediocre graphics... and some running blind were able to see again with an update, then this sounds more like an accident of the game that can be changed again, and did change for some, rather than "Too bad, HD made you all obsolete. Oh, did we not warn you?"

I would certainly like to know what our prospects are. This long silence is unreasonable. People must be dropping like flies.

**EDIT:
    Check this out:
    "Character models wont load"
    Quote Originally Posted by amunas View Post
    So i recently got a new PC and it far surpasses the requirements to run this game but after reinstalling the game on my new pc the character models wont load, JUST player models the NPC models load but have texture errors and causes them to either blink in and out of my game or have very odd shadows all over them. That is only TOWN NPC the creeps and mobs dont load, now im running the game at a smooth 60fps but still the character models refuse to load even after waiting 1 full day in the loading screen, I can log in but again I cant see mine or anyone elses characters.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...10#post7012810

If this is really the same problem we're having, perhaps a new computer won't help either. :\
    Last edited by Ruta; Nov 24 2013 at 01:34 PM.

If Turbine is no longer going to support older computers, then why wasn't there some announcement? I don't like finding out this kind of stuff through extensive research and guessing. My older Windows XP ran Lotro fine, and it still does, now just without character textures. If our systems no longer support Lotro, then why does everything else work fine? This at least makes me hopeful it'll be fixed. Otherwise Turbine may be losing a lot of business pretty soon.......

If this is really the same problem we're having, perhaps a new computer won't help either. :\
    That's sad and comforting at the same time. I know my computer is older than dirt, but I've worked hard to keep it in good shape, and up until the HD update, it ran LOTRO pretty well. There was some lag and long loadtimes in raids, but characters, NPCs, and mobs were visible!

I was looking at external graphics cards this morning, but the ones that I could afford specified that the weren't for gaming purposes. The gaming ones cost upward of $200, and I would rather just save that money and put it toward a completely new computer. I don't particularly care if I can play in high quality, I just want to be able to play.

But if it's not necessarily going to help to get a new computer, then that actually works in my favor. I just hope they figure it out and fix it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Marethryth View Post
    That's sad and comforting at the same time. I know my computer is older than dirt, but I've worked hard to keep it in good shape, and up until the HD update, it ran LOTRO pretty well. There was some lag and long loadtimes in raids, but characters, NPCs, and mobs were visible!

I was looking at external graphics cards this morning, but the ones that I could afford specified that the weren't for gaming purposes. The gaming ones cost upward of $200, and I would rather just save that money and put it toward a completely new computer. I don't particularly care if I can play in high quality, I just want to be able to play.

But if it's not necessarily going to help to get a new computer, then that actually works in my favor. I just hope they figure it out and fix it soon.
    Yeah, amunas replied to me in the other thread, and this is his computer:
    Quote Originally Posted by amunas View Post
    Thank you for your information and yes i am quite sure my new PC blows the requirements out of the water for this game.

SPEC:
    Processor Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4 (3.8) GHz
    Memory 16GB DDR3 RAM
    Hard Drive 2TB SSD 300gb
    Video Card Radeon R9 280X @ 1500 MHz GDDR5

So, Yeah its stupidly good but the character models will not load, I redownloaded the STANDARD version over the HD but still models do not load.
    That video card is quite expensive. I don't know what to think anymore. :\ But perhaps this should be brought to the attention of whichever Tech Support Rep told Sybyn that it was just caused by poor graphic capacity.

Yeah, amunas replied to me in the other thread, and this is his computer:

That video card is quite expensive. I don't know what to think anymore. :\ But perhaps this should be brought to the attention of whichever Tech Support Rep told Sybyn that it was just caused by poor graphic capacity.
    Yeah my graphics card is quite good if not one of the best on my market right now. I dont understand why this is happening. I could run the game smooth before on a machine from 2004 but i built this pc like last month and this is the first problem i ran into yet with anything.

Yeah, my laptop is a 7-year-old Toshiba. It wasn't designed for gaming and it's obviously pretty old, but it's a solid little computer and I've worked hard to keep it running well. On most things, it still works fantastically. LOTRO was always a little laggy sometimes when the server was crowded, but nothing like this has ever happened.

Invisible characters

This problem is still happening as of today no response from tech support. The game is not playable currently.

Well I am sad to say but turbine just lost a sub and i will no longer spend money on this game. That being said I will come back to the game once they fix this bug but as of right now Tech support and turbine clearly does not care for their player base anymore. Yet another company turned into microsoft..... great, well the past few years was fun and went smooth of LOTRO but again its clear they do not and probably will ever care or even address this issue.

For the people thinking that your graphic card is the problem, It is not. Sad to say but I might as well tell you here now that i have a Radeon r9 280x card in this machine and im having the same issue as all of you. Don't bother with a new system just move on. Great game up until now but the time has come, sadly...

Same thing is about to happen with me. Its has been almost a week and not a word about this problem from Turbine. I would really like to play but now I'm having to think about how I'm going to get my money back for HD. The very least that could be done is to acknowledge the problem exist. I don't know how many of us have this bug but it doesn't seem to be enough to warrant any effort from Turbine. That tells me that I need to use my money other places. I'm giving it a few more days to hear something or I'm out. Its sad because I really enjoy this game so much.
    Never forget 2/14-16

I've put in both a bug report and a support ticket. I guess time will tell. And if nothing happens, then I'll put 2 more in. And another 2. Then maybe 4 more........

But honestly, this pause may mean it's being worked on. Or not. We are left to guessing. Which is why I think we should all try and contact Sapience and inform him of our "predicament". The more that do, the more likely something will be done about it.

I'm actually getting a bit offended right now.
    We have a big problem, a lot of people have it.
    We are almost a week further now and no single response yet.
    No nothing...

I'm getting fed up with it. Not the fact that there is no solution, but that there is not a single response.
    I'm even wondering if they have seen this thread....

Or if the delete button was just hit after seeing my bug ticket. Perhaps if we are ignored long enough the problem will just kinda work itself out. I would perfer my cash to be put to use on some damned tech support or perhaps I need to pay more for that? Something Turbine! DO SOMETHING PLEASE!
    Never forget 2/14-16

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast