We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Game bugged - Character, NPC's, Enemies etc invisible.

Since the launch of HD I got a big problem.
    My character, NPC's, enemies, mounts, you name it, aren't showing. Sometimes they do, but then it's just a purple-ish ghostly blob.
    All I see of most NPC's is weapons.

Here are some pictures.

I don't know if it's the client or my computer.
    Anyone knows what is going on?

Help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

problems of the many have been occurring with new material
    patches and updates will arrive
    a redownload of the full game might help and take some time

I got the same problem. Restarting PC and messing with the graphics options yield no different results. Its completely unplayable for me.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002b3de9/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Never forget 2/14-16
    Survivor of the Great Down Time of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Insanesoul View Post
    I got the same problem. Restarting PC and messing with the graphics options yield no different results. Its completely unplayable for me.
    Restarted the client a few times, re logged etc. Nothing helped.

Just relying on the red dots on the map now...

did you try to have it re-detect optimal settings?

looks to me like textures didn't load for you. rebooting your computer is first thing to try. then load the game fresh.

If you get this problem after that, then I'd definitely /bug it. if you have to /bug it or post here again, include your video card/cpu information.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

I rebooted the PC and tried to have the game auto detect the settings. Nothing so far has worked sadly. Looks just like the pics above. At least I know I'm not alone with this issue.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002b3de9/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Never forget 2/14-16

I rebooted the PC and tried to have the game auto detect the settings. Nothing so far has worked sadly. Looks just like the pics above. At least I know I'm not alone with this issue.
    make sure your video drivers are up to date?

Funny, yet annoying bug.

I do hope you will manage to resolve your problem soon.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensilence View Post
    make sure your video drivers are up to date?
    Given the situation he is in, shouldn't it be "voodoo drivers" ;o))
    My alarm tried to wake me this morning.
    Things escalated and now my alarm is broken and I am awake. . .
    Not quite sure who won . . . .

Everyone is also invisible on mine. As mentioned, it's unplayable. It worked fine before the update. Has anyone heard word of any solutions that actually work, or are our games just broken now? Restarting game has not worked. Restarting computer has not worked. Tried every different graphic setting, also did not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruta View Post
    Everyone is also invisible on mine. As mentioned, it's unplayable. It worked fine before the update. Has anyone heard word of any solutions that actually work, or are our games just broken now? Restarting game has not worked. Restarting computer has not worked. Tried every different graphic setting, also did not work.
    This is not a new issue, but is an issue that can occur during any update of the game which updates the various Textures files. Basically what has happened is that one of the 3+GB files that contains the Textures has gotten corrupted or truncated, resulting in your game client being unable to display the textures required to display certain elements (in your case your character or mobs). The last time I experienced this I followed steps that I found in Turbine's Knowledge Base (http://support.turbine.com/link/port...Graphics-Audio).

If you aren't worried about bandwidth a simple way to resolve this would be to try renaming client_highres.dat, client_surface.dat, and client_mesh.dat and relaunching the LOTRO client. This will begin redownloading new copies of these files.
    [CENTER][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][I]~[/I][B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]NOST CORUFAER[/COLOR][/B][I]~[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]
    An all Elven Kinship, perfecting [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Cyan][Prized Pie][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype] since the Dawn of the Second Age...only on Elendilmir.
    [/FONT] [FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][I]"It began with a leaf caught in the wind..."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by TsarithArcher View Post
    This is not a new issue, but is an issue that can occur during any update of the game which updates the various Textures files. Basically what has happened is that one of the 3+GB files that contains the Textures has gotten corrupted or truncated, resulting in your game client being unable to display the textures required to display certain elements (in your case your character or mobs). The last time I experienced this I followed steps that I found in Turbine's Knowledge Base (http://support.turbine.com/link/port...Graphics-Audio).

If you aren't worried about bandwidth a simple way to resolve this would be to try renaming client_highres.dat, client_surface.dat, and client_mesh.dat and relaunching the LOTRO client. This will begin redownloading new copies of these files.
    I also checked the "knowledge base" and found nothing to solve this problem. The closest problem is being unable to render any 3D images, and needing to modify DirectX settings, which is not this issue.

I also tried your suggestion to renaming the texture files, but the launcher did not start downloading new ones, it just said 'error, they're missing!' and shuts down every time I try it. I renamed them several ways, and also tried relocating them so they weren't in the folder, but nothing has prompted the launcher to realize it needs to download them again.

Please advise. I do not care about bandwidth, but would absolutely be annoyed if the ENTIRE game needed to be deleted and reinstalled over a couple missing texture files.

I just REDOWNLOADED the WHOLE game trying to fix the problem of no NPCs, mobs, my character and mount. It did NOT, I repeat NOT fix the problem. Any other ideas?

Unhappy

I'm in the same boat. I've also tried everything but reinstalling the whole game but even that doesn't seem to work. I get the feeling that the problem isn't our systems, settings, or files since we are all having the very same issue. Everything worked fine before the update. It just feel sad and frustrated that I've spent several hours trying to fix this instead of enjoying the game. I have nothing else to try. Feels like the worst game update ever.
    Never forget 2/14-16

So I'm guessing there are so many new bugs with the update that we might not see a solution to our problem very soon. I'm writing again in case anyone from the team, or perhaps a player with more knowledge can shed some light on this problem based on what we've found.

First, yes, the texture files seem to be the problem. Not our computers, as they were working just fine beforehand.

Second, restarts and reinstalls have not worked.

Third, tricking the launcher into downloading the texture files again is unsuccessful. It refuses to download them, and I believe this is the root problem. TsarithArcher said the launcher should redownload the .dat files that are missing or corrupt if you rename them. This doesn't work. In fact, I tested this with every client_blahblah.dat file, (there were 11) and only THREE were prompted for a redownload. (client_cell_2.dat, client_local_English.dat, client_map_2.dat)

So, from what I can gather, the files TsarithArcher mentioned as being necessary to fix our problem are not being downloaded at all, no matter what we do. If someone knows a way around this, please let us all know. We can't do much until this gets solved.

Maybe, if you know which files you need to replace and where they go, you could get them from someone who has a working copy of the game and manually replace them.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000178ee/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Zunai View Post
    Maybe, if you know which files you need to replace and where they go, you could get them from someone who has a working copy of the game and manually replace them.
    Appreciate your idea, but for my part I can't try it. I don't know whether this would work, but even if it would, they are kind of enormous files (over 3 GB each). And I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't exactly have a buddy next door to put them on a stick for me.
    Thanks for making a suggestion, though.

It would make me feel better if I only knew someone at Turbine was looking into this issue. I've done everything I can think to do. If it makes a difference to anyone I'm using an older Sony laptop with intel 945GM graphics. It was top of the line and more than enough to play this game back in 2007 until yesterday. I'm just afraid it will be weeks until I can play again.
    Never forget 2/14-16

It would make me feel better if I only knew someone at Turbine was looking into this issue. I've done everything I can think to do. If it makes a difference to anyone I'm using an older Sony laptop with intel 945GM graphics. It was top of the line and more than enough to play this game back in 2007 until yesterday. I'm just afraid it will be weeks until I can play again.
    Likewise about the concern. From what it sounds like, there are heaps of issues with the update, and I'm not sure this one has even made it into the picture yet, with all that they're dealing with. I certainly haven't had a response from the support ticket, and it even says to expect at least 3-4 days wait. So now I guess it's just us with our broken games (some of us paying for it!) left to wonder when we'll be able to play again.

Just recently finished the update - took 4-1/2 hours - and I've got the invisible bug, too. Until today, I had been one of the lucky people who has never encountered one of the update-day game-breaking bugs, so I suppose it was finally my time to be hit.

I guess this is what happens when programmers mess with things that work.

Seems there are two major unplayable flaws. Some people have the client crash at start up. Not sure if its related but I wouldn't be surprised. Sadly for us that can't even play the housing storage bug seems to be getting a lot more attention.
    Never forget 2/14-16

It's just funny how many other MMO's had a Client repair function build in their launchers for years that do an file integrity check and repair/redownload corrupted/missing files and yet Turbine is unable to do so in all these years!

Forcing users to redownload and reinstall the entire Client again should not be necessary! As not everyone has unlimited data! In lots of parts of the world Internet Providers still put a cap on data for it's customers!

Second day in today.

- Restarting your PC doesn't help.
    - Restarting the client doesn't help.
    - Let it search for the best settings doesn't help.
    - Adjust the settings doesn't help.
    - Updating drivers doesn't help.
    - Re-downloading the client doesn't help.

Multiple people got this problem. Still no word from Turbine if this is a bug in the game or a problem with our own PC's.

Still hope to get some answers soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Elazaer View Post
    Second day in today.

- Restarting your PC doesn't help.
    - Restarting the client doesn't help.
    - Let it search for the best settings doesn't help.
    - Adjust the settings doesn't help.
    - Updating drivers doesn't help.
    - Re-downloading the client doesn't help.

Multiple people got this problem. Still no word from Turbine if this is a bug in the game or a problem with our own PC's.

Still hope to get some answers soon...
    Also, freshly reinstalling the entire game from the ground up has not worked. For those with limits on bandwidth, don't bother. It doesn't fix it either.

And I'm confident it can't be our computers at fault, since I take it every one of us had perfectly working games and textures earlier this week? I also understand some people may be annoyed with their housing chests, but come on now. We can't even play at all, and neither can those who have the other game breaking crashes. Some acknowledgement would be appreciated. Has anyone here had a response from a support ticket? Is it worth making another thread in the Technical Support forum as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruta View Post
    Also, freshly reinstalling the entire game from the ground up has not worked. For those with limits on bandwidth, don't bother. It doesn't fix it either.

And I'm confident it can't be our computers at fault, since I take it every one of us had perfectly working games and textures earlier this week? I also understand some people may be annoyed with their housing chests, but come on now. We can't even play at all, and neither can those who have the other game breaking crashes. Some acknowledgement would be appreciated. Has anyone here had a response from a support ticket? Is it worth making another thread in the Technical Support forum as well?
    I agree, it can't be us. The day before the launch everything was all right. Then on the launch day these issues just come up. Well, you can play, but not in the normal way. I've been doing a few quests but mostly crafting now. You don't need NPC textures for crafting.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast