We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A Champion's Plea

Greetings. My Champion first stepped into the Moors at level 80. It wasn't long before I realized that he had no business being there, however, and refocused his efforts on leveling, building up LI's, acquiring all the available Champion skills, etc. Now he is level 85 and has been to the Moors a few more times and attained a humble Rank2 Esquire status. I enjoy PvMP very much, but at this point the newness is gone and its getting frustrating.

Every time I visit, my heart is in my throat and I soon either get singled out and picked off or smelled out and hunted down it seems. ..Dead.. I've concentrated on practicing my skills and switching traits around. I have always been a Fervour Champ, only using Ardour on occasion and usually in raids, though I don't care for Ardour as much as I feel it doesn't give me enough control over my skill-sets without the use of Champion Potions, which have too slow a cooldown anyway in my opinion. I have never used Glory at all really, but have started to think it may be a necessity if I want to compete at all. Getting dazed quickly and so repeatedly really stinks, and I'm reluctant to use Blood Rage as it sucks up morale which I can ill afford to dispose of. I've taken advantage of the Bounders Tokens and cashed them in for armor and jewellry, but am still very squishy.

I can not pick up any of the Barter Items from the Moors, because I don't have the required minimum Glory Rank (Which I am assuming means the same thing as 'Rank'). My new kinship at least has an interest in PvMP, but I am reluctant to ask for anything just yet without at least first getting to know people a bit and offer my own assistance in whatever capacity is deemed necessary. So I began looking at my Virtues, acquired from deeds. Seems I always slotted the higher numbered virtues, regardless of whether or not they were geared more toward another class. I'm thinking I may have to just concentrate on grinding out deeds at this point, especially Slayer Deeds. I'd always been against purchasing Virtues also. Especially at 395 T.Points a pop, I'd probably end up spending 10,000 T.Points.

Any suggestions or insight with regard to what I have said would be graciously accepted and well received. Thank you.

Tomorrow is a new day...
    [IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/547875_10152075720742701_46971757_n.jpg[/IMG]
    66 Maggot Street, Grothum, Arador's End, Ettenmoors.
    Laurelin/Landroval/Brandywine.

Fighting in Moors is heavily influenced by audacity, which you can get from the PvP armor. Unfortunately you need a lot of commendations to buy it, and getting commendations requires either farming Moors PvE quests a lot (where you will often be attacked by monster players) or defeating monster players. So you will die a lot against ranked creeps for quite some time unless you find a group to tag along. (yes, this is a very stupid design)

Virtues can be helpful, but generally they don't make or break a build. If you want to focus on them anyway, concentrate on those that give you mitigations, resistance, armor, morale and vitality (in that order), as the values of might and other offensive stats on them aren't worth considering.
    Don't know what your current stats are, but for Moors you usually want a rather different setup than for PvE content, focusing on survival and burst single-target damage. This often includes using a completely different (PvP) armor set and switching to a 2h weapon instead of dual-wielding.

And while HD will bring a lot of changes, the underlying design issues of Moors are unlikely to be fixed.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    Fighting in Moors is heavily influenced by audacity, which you can get from the PvP armor. Unfortunately you need a lot of commendations to buy it, and getting commendations requires either farming Moors PvE quests a lot (where you will often be attacked by monster players) or defeating monster players. So you will die a lot against ranked creeps for quite some time unless you find a group to tag along. (yes, this is a very stupid design)
    Thank you for your response, and for reminding me about this connection of Audacity to Armor. Where the design gets ‘stupid’ is that you need GLORY RANKS of various tiers in order to barter for armor, even if you might have 10,000 Commendations. Am I misunderstanding something here? I mentioned this in my original post, but will rephrase it and add a few additional questions, in the hopes that you or someone else will be kind enough to answer:

Q: Does RANK and GLORY RANK mean the same thing?

Q: What are some ways of getting into a pick-up-group, or a more organized group already in progress?

It seems the OOC-Channel is heavily used for this purpose. Sometimes I ask for an invite and get one, other times I feel largely dismissed and ignored and conversation in the said channel goes on as ever before. This seems incredibly rude; It would be nice if they said something/anything in such instances. And I don’t necessarily want to shadow anyone in the Moors without also being a part of a group, because I don’t want them to think I am looking for someone to shoulder my burden, so to speak.

Virtues can be helpful, but generally they don't make or break a build… the values of might and other offensive stats on them aren't worth considering.
    This is suprising to me, especially coming from another Champ, and considering how often “Might is Right” has been chanted. Survival is the imperative though. Got it.

…for Moors you usually want a rather different setup than for PvE content, focusing on survival and burst single-target damage. This often includes using a completely different (PvP) armor set and switching to a 2h weapon instead of dual-wielding.
    Q: Why is a 2-Handed Weapon preferable? I’ve always avoided them. They don’t do as much dps and are slower. Would this have something to do with single burst target damage?

Thank you.

A quick call out in /ooc is a good way on our server to find a group/raid, or check in for open groups in the panel.

Whilst might is important for dmg, you mitigations are also very important. Audacity is key which in time will come with the gear, trust me the first 6 ranks come very quickly. When selecting your virtues try to focus on tac mit, this will help a bit in the early days.

In answer two your 2 hander question this is down to those huge crits, yes DW has produced higher sustained damage in previous content (HD now released) however this is burst dmg and critical hits bring that creep morale pool down way quicker.

Good luck in HD

Edit: dont be offended when people dont answer for groups, some just like to solo and also sometimes on lower pop servers forming a large raid group can kill off what little action their may be.

Had hoped HD release would give a few more 'certains' than it did. Auda armor didn't scale for instance. Peeps in a state over their LI's and so forth. Summa summarum: the ball is still in the air.. (and by the looks of it, it wont be a goal )

I don't freep much, and when I do it's always solo. So my experience is not really something to brag about, but seen in the light of the fact that there's not a lot of other peeps that have posted yet, I will make one of my feeble attempts and throw in my two coppers worth.

Virtues.

You want 'em maxed. I'm not normally an elitist on these things, but in this case I will be, you want them maxed. For all the obvious reasons and the fact that it can be difficult to actually get in a raid if your gear/virtues ain't lookin' shiny. This is, as always, very server dependent. Also, having maxed virtues sends the signal that you didn't come all unprepared, even if your gear lacks a bit here and there.

You're a champ, you dish out a world of hurt already, with some good survivability skills (albeit somewhat squishier than before HD, if you trait red anyways.) so as others have said, defence is your priority, after all, the longer you're standing, the more pain you'll be handing out. So, start of with focusing on tact. mits - phys. mits/resistance and then whatever vitality/morale/armor you can scoop up.

Gear.

First of, rank is rank. There's nothing glorious about it, dirty bloody business is what it is.
    I'm a bit puzzled by you stating that you need a certain rank to obtain your (much needed) audacity armor? There's rank to some of the gear you can buy, like, say, burglars off hand dagger, the LI's and Horses, but not for armor. My rank 2 burglar got a full auda armor set.
    Anyways, you're in a for bit of a grind again I guess, to get your gear to a level where the moors is going to be 'fun' again. So won't touch this subject, as said the 'pvmp armour' haven't scaled, yet, just wanted to say that you can get your armour at any rank. Whether you are better of waiting to see if it get scaled in any foreseeable future before spending commies on the level 85 one, I can't say. Perhaps someone would care to shed some light on this.

NB. I can see why you'd be frustrated out there if you wearing all pve armour and have 0 auda.
    [IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/547875_10152075720742701_46971757_n.jpg[/IMG]
    66 Maggot Street, Grothum, Arador's End, Ettenmoors.
    Laurelin/Landroval/Brandywine.

Thank you.. again, for your response. There is a lot of information here to sift through and actualize in-game. Much appreciated.
    At this point I have nothing to add, nor any questions.
    Now that they've raised the level to 90 to even visit the Moors, its an opportunity to take time and grind out all those deeds I've let slip by me.
    Not to mention sorting through this Trait Tree System which feels largely dumped in our laps.
    ~ Best Regards