Inspired by LOTRO's recent ongoing Take the Hobbits to Isengard! event, I would like to cordially invite the kinships of Imladris to a server-wide competition, which will take place over the course of the coming weeks, beginning on February 10th to be completed on March 3rd of 2014. For those of you in a hurry, or a desire to avoid the tldr:
What: run my nerfed level 55 warden, Brynnhildr, from the threshold of Thorin's Hall all the way to the Hornburg at Helm's Deep with the help of your kinship
Why: bragging rights, PLUS the kinship to succeed with the fastest time will receive one of each LOTRO expansion pack
Now, for the more detailed bit.
Essentially, this event is a cross-genre one, lore-wise. For those of you unfamiliar, Brynhildr (or Brynnhildr, as my toon has been named) is one of the major characters in the Norse Völsunga saga, who also appears in several related Eddic poems. The story of which she is a part is similarly told in the German epic Nibelungenlied, which was adapted by Richard Wagner as an opera, Der Ring des Nibelungen. I would rather not ruin the story for those who have yet to read it, but Brynhildr's plot line is easily nutshelled as "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."
More recently, Tolkien's estate published his own rendition of the story as an alliterative poem under the title The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún. This event, which I will call "Brynnhildr's Helm-ride" functions as a nod to Tolkien's frequent borrowings from Old Norse literature in general and the story of Sigurd the Dragon Slayer in particular. How it fits in: as a valkyrie, Brynnhildr is duty-bound to select half of the battle-slain to be brought to Odin's hall of Valhalla. Before she too dies to join her beloved, she has been ordered to preside over the choosing of the dead at the Battle of the Hornburg.
Your objective as a kinship will be similar to that of the Take the Hobbits to Isengard! event, though with a few notable exceptions:
- Instead of running a level 10 hobbit hunter to Isengard from the Prancing Pony, you will be running a level 55 elf warden from Thorin's Hall to Helm's Deep
- Instead of JUST getting bragging rights for winning, your kinship will also be awarded 5 codes: one for each of the five LOTRO expansions (Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, Riders of Rohan, AND Helm's Deep) to be divided among kin members as seen fit
- Instead of resetting to home when she dies (or gets run off a cliff in Moria, as is liable to happen), Brynnhildr will actually die, and your kinship will be disqualified from the competition (this rule might change if she dies too much/if not enough kins decide to participate, but don't let that be your plan A)
- Instead of solely being based on the time it takes to do the actual run, kins will have several opportunities to shave off time by completing side objectives (these will include retrieving various rare items, crafting particular things of import, etc.). A detailed list of these side objectives will be posted in advance so you can prepare accordingly.
- Instead of being run on foot, it will be up to your discretion whether Brynnhildr rides or runs. You will have four opportunities to make this decision: (a) upon starting the Helm-ride at Thorin's Hall; (b) upon entering the Mines of Moria; (c) upon exiting the Mines of Moria; and (d) upon crossing the bridge from the Great River Region into Rohan. (Notes: If at any point Brynnhildr is dismounted between these points, she will not be able to remount until the next one. If mounting up causes excessive lag that results in a cliff-jump or other misfortune, you'd best hope broken legs are the worst of it. All of Brynnhildr's mounts ride at 78% speed, i.e., the mount up option has the potential to offer a greater speed boost if the leader also has the Journeyman Riding Trait. Yes, it's nifty. Yes, it's potentially unfair. But she's in a bit of a hurry.)
- If any player/kin attempts to lag-out or otherwise sabotage another kinship during this event in any way, shape or form, you and ever kinship your toons are affiliated with will automatically be disqualified, no questions asked or answered. This is a friendly competition, not the Ettenmoors.
- Instead of being available to all servers, this event is purely Imladris-based.
That will be all for now; I will post new information on side objectives and scheduling over the next few days; these will first appear at the event blog (http://brynnhildrshelmride.wordpress.com/). If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, or would like to tentatively sign your kinship up for the event, please send me an email at ala.elerina.gmail.com, or contact Alaeara/Brynnhildr via in-game mail... for the sake of my sanity, please avoid IMs. I have also just created a Twitter account (@AlaElerina), which I will try to keep up-to-date.