We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

SERVER EVENT - Brynnhildr's Helm-ride (February 10th - March 3rd, 2014)

Inspired by LOTRO's recent ongoing Take the Hobbits to Isengard! event, I would like to cordially invite the kinships of Imladris to a server-wide competition, which will take place over the course of the coming weeks, beginning on February 10th to be completed on March 3rd of 2014. For those of you in a hurry, or a desire to avoid the tldr:

What: run my nerfed level 55 warden, Brynnhildr, from the threshold of Thorin's Hall all the way to the Hornburg at Helm's Deep with the help of your kinship

Why: bragging rights, PLUS the kinship to succeed with the fastest time will receive one of each LOTRO expansion pack

Now, for the more detailed bit.

Essentially, this event is a cross-genre one, lore-wise. For those of you unfamiliar, Brynhildr (or Brynnhildr, as my toon has been named) is one of the major characters in the Norse Völsunga saga, who also appears in several related Eddic poems. The story of which she is a part is similarly told in the German epic Nibelungenlied, which was adapted by Richard Wagner as an opera, Der Ring des Nibelungen. I would rather not ruin the story for those who have yet to read it, but Brynhildr's plot line is easily nutshelled as "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

More recently, Tolkien's estate published his own rendition of the story as an alliterative poem under the title The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún. This event, which I will call "Brynnhildr's Helm-ride" functions as a nod to Tolkien's frequent borrowings from Old Norse literature in general and the story of Sigurd the Dragon Slayer in particular. How it fits in: as a valkyrie, Brynnhildr is duty-bound to select half of the battle-slain to be brought to Odin's hall of Valhalla. Before she too dies to join her beloved, she has been ordered to preside over the choosing of the dead at the Battle of the Hornburg.

Your objective as a kinship will be similar to that of the Take the Hobbits to Isengard! event, though with a few notable exceptions:

- Instead of running a level 10 hobbit hunter to Isengard from the Prancing Pony, you will be running a level 55 elf warden from Thorin's Hall to Helm's Deep

- Instead of JUST getting bragging rights for winning, your kinship will also be awarded 5 codes: one for each of the five LOTRO expansions (Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, Riders of Rohan, AND Helm's Deep) to be divided among kin members as seen fit

- Instead of resetting to home when she dies (or gets run off a cliff in Moria, as is liable to happen), Brynnhildr will actually die, and your kinship will be disqualified from the competition (this rule might change if she dies too much/if not enough kins decide to participate, but don't let that be your plan A)

- Instead of solely being based on the time it takes to do the actual run, kins will have several opportunities to shave off time by completing side objectives (these will include retrieving various rare items, crafting particular things of import, etc.). A detailed list of these side objectives will be posted in advance so you can prepare accordingly.

- Instead of being run on foot, it will be up to your discretion whether Brynnhildr rides or runs. You will have four opportunities to make this decision: (a) upon starting the Helm-ride at Thorin's Hall; (b) upon entering the Mines of Moria; (c) upon exiting the Mines of Moria; and (d) upon crossing the bridge from the Great River Region into Rohan. (Notes: If at any point Brynnhildr is dismounted between these points, she will not be able to remount until the next one. If mounting up causes excessive lag that results in a cliff-jump or other misfortune, you'd best hope broken legs are the worst of it. All of Brynnhildr's mounts ride at 78% speed, i.e., the mount up option has the potential to offer a greater speed boost if the leader also has the Journeyman Riding Trait. Yes, it's nifty. Yes, it's potentially unfair. But she's in a bit of a hurry.)

- If any player/kin attempts to lag-out or otherwise sabotage another kinship during this event in any way, shape or form, you and ever kinship your toons are affiliated with will automatically be disqualified, no questions asked or answered. This is a friendly competition, not the Ettenmoors.

- Instead of being available to all servers, this event is purely Imladris-based.

That will be all for now; I will post new information on side objectives and scheduling over the next few days; these will first appear at the event blog (http://brynnhildrshelmride.wordpress.com/). If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, or would like to tentatively sign your kinship up for the event, please send me an email at ala.elerina.gmail.com, or contact Alaeara/Brynnhildr via in-game mail... for the sake of my sanity, please avoid IMs. I have also just created a Twitter account (@AlaElerina), which I will try to keep up-to-date.

Ala
    Last edited by Kaerata; Feb 13 2014 at 03:29 PM.

Helm-ride Prizes (detailed)

***UPDATE 11/02/14*** -- It has been brought to my attention that there are a number of kinships which are relatively inactive at this time. Though it has not been explicitly encouraged, players should be advised that the Helm-ride CAN be done as a solo effort, should you wish to do so. Accordingly, I have tweaked the prizes a little bit... While I initially was only offering the expansions, I will instead be adopting a free for all prize selection. Players (or kinships) who would not find the previously listed prizes to be of any use (perhaps you have all the expansions, or simply don't want them) I will instead be offering ANY combination of the items in the Turbine Store (http://store.turbine.com/) up to a value of $120.00 USD. For those of you paying attention, yes, that would include a maximum of 11,500 Turbine Points, or even a full year of VIP!

The kinship that completes the Helm-ride in the shortest time will receive codes for one (1) of each of the five (5) LOTRO expansion packs. As these will be separate packages, you can give them all to one kin member, or divide them amongst yourselves as you see fit. For those of you unfamiliar with precisely what this entails, the winning kinship gets:

The Mines of Moria - Digital Download

- 350+ quests (levels 50 - 60)
    - Seven (7) full fellowship instances (Dark Delvings, Fil Gashan, Skumfil, The Sixteenth Hall, The Forges of Khazad-dum, The Grand Stair, and The Forgotten Treasury)
    - Two (2) 12-person raids (Filikul and The Vile Maw)
    - Unlocks the use of the Rune-keeper and Warden classes
    - Unlocks two additional character slots

The Siege of Mirkwood - Digital Download

- 150+ quests (levels 60 - 65)
    - Three (3) 3-person instances (Dungeons of Dol Guldur, Sword-Hall of Dol Guldur, and Warg-Pens of Dol Guldur)
    - One (1) 6-person instance (Sammath Gul)
    - One (1) 12-person raid (Barad Guldur)

The Rise of Isengard (Base Edition) - Digital Download

- 375+ quests (levels 66-75)
    - Three (3) 3-person instances (Fangorn's Edge, Pits of Isengard, and Dargnakh Unleashed)
    - One (1) 4-person instance (The Foundry)
    - One (1) 12-person raid (The Tower of Orthanc)
    - One (1) 12-24 person raid + pre-requisite quests (Draigoch's Lair)
    - One (1) in-game title ("Guard of the Isen")
    - One (1) Rohirrim Style Mount (Red-clad Steed of the Gap)

The Riders of Rohan (Base Edition) - Digital Download

- [insert impressive number here]+ quests (level 76-85)
    - Three (3) scaling 3-person instances (Iorbar's Peak, Seat of the Great Goblin, and Webs of the Scuttledells)
    - One (1) scaling 6-person instance (The Bells of Dale)
    - Three (3) scaling 12-person raids (Flight to the Lonely Mountain, The Fires of Smaug, and The Battle of Erebor)
    - One (1) in-game title ("Friend of the Mark")
    - One (1) exclusive Rohirrim Mount with matching war steed appearance (Steed of the Eastemnet)

Helm's Deep (Base Edition) - Digital Download*

- [insert impressive number here]+ quests (levels 86-95)
    - Continue the Epic Quest line
    - Unlock all 5 scaling Epic Battles (Helm's Dike [1/2/6-man], The Deeping Wall [1/2/12-man], The Deeping Coomb [1/2-man], The Glittering Caves [1/2/3-man], and the Hornburg [1/2-man])
    - 1,000 Turbine Points
    - One (1) in-game title ("Enforcer of Helm")
    - One (1) Rohirrim cosmetic chest piece (Hauberk of the Hammerhand)

*To the many horse-lovers out there, I offer my apologies... The Steed of the Hammerhand was only available with Helm's Deep Preorders
    Last edited by Kaerata; Feb 13 2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Updates

Time Deductions

The list below indicates the items you can trade for time deductions. You will note that you receive incremental time bonuses by trading more than one of a particular item, but that this only lasts up to a certain point (e.g., 1 Emerald Shard will decrease your time by 1 minute; adding a second will decrease by an additional 2, and a third will decrease by another 4 on top of that, for a total deduction of 10 minutes). This does not mean that you cannot trade in, for example, more than 3 Emerald Shards, but rather, that trading in any more than three would not result in a subsequent additional bonus (e.g., adding a fourth would restart the pattern, removing only one additional minute for a total of 8).

1 Emerald Shard = -1 minute = -1 minute total

2nd Emerald Shard = -2 minutes = -3 minutes total

3rd Emerald Shard = -4 minutes = -7 minutes total

4th Emerald Shard = -1 minute = -8 minutes total

5th Emerald Shard = -2 minutes = -10 minutes total

etc., etc., etc.

The maximum time reduction possible is 20 minutes. Kinships can choose any combination of items on this list to achieve these deductions, though they are not obliged to. To avoid Brynnhildr getting stuck with your stuff if she dies (some of these items are admittedly rather valuable), you will only be able to trade in upon completing the challenge (i.e., upon arriving at Helm's Deep, at which point the clock will stop). Without further ado:

Emerald Shards
    ***1st = -1 minute (-1)
    ***2nd = -2 minutes (-3)
    ***3rd = -4 minutes (-7)

Flawed Symbol of Celebrimbor
    ***1st = -1 minute (-1)
    ***2nd = -2 minutes (-3)
    ***3rd = -4 minutes (-7)

Lothlorien Hooded Cloaks (Elder/Ancestor, Stalker/Huntsman, Preserver/Old Guard, Sentinel/Overseer) *If you choose to make Lothlorien cloaks, do not trade in doubles, as they will not be accepted.
    ***1st = -1 minute (-1)
    ***2nd = -2 minutes (-3)
    ***3rd = -3 minutes (-6)
    ***4th = -6 minutes (-12)

ANY full set of the Malledhrim's Golden Host armour (5 pieces, no helms; the recipes for these can be bartered from Iawen at Ost Galadh) = -20 minutes (-20)

Malledhrim Helms (3 different outputs; the recipes for these can be bartered from Maedhrusc at Ost Galadh) *If you choose to make Malledhrim Helmets, do not trade in doubles of the same output, as they will not be accepted.
    ***1st = -1 minute (-1)
    ***2nd = -4 minutes (-5)
    ***3rd = -6 minutes (-11)

ANY full set of Galadhrim cosmetic armour (6 pieces; can be bartered from the Cosmetics vendor in all Skirmish Camps) *If you trade in more than one set of Galadhrim cosmetic armour, doubles will not be accepted, i.e., handing in three sets will require one each of light (Ceremonial ... of the Poet's Heart/Written Word), medium (Ceremonial ... of the Quiet Step/Shield-wall), and heavy (Ceremonial ... of the Iron Arm/Whirlwind) cosmetic pieces
    ***1st = -5 minutes (-5)
    ***2nd = -5 minutes (-10)
    ***3rd = -10 minutes (-20)

Reforged Hunter's Bow of the Second Age (level 95) = -4 minutes (-4)

Reforged Warden's Javelin of the Second Age (level 95) = -4 minutes (-4)

Reforged Lore-master's Staff of the Second Age (level 95) = -4 minutes (-4)

Reforged Lore-master's Book of the Second Age (level 95) = -4 minutes (-4)

Reforged Runekeeper's Rune-Satchel of the Second Age (level 95) = -4 minutes (-4)

Reforged Runekeeper's Rune-stone of the Second Age (level 95; Flint, Icy, and/or Obsidian) = -4 minutes (-4)

Reforged Minstrel's Song-book of the Second Age (level 95) = -4 minutes (-4)

Potent Bow of the Deep (level 95) = -3 minutes (-3)

Forceful, Skillful, or Perceptive Cloak of the Deep (level 95) = -3 minutes (-3)

At this time, these are the only items that will be accepted for time deductions. Pay attention to some of the output distinctions I have made; you don't want to waste resources on an item that will be of no benefit in this challenge. Should things change between now and February 10th, I will update this page; otherwise, they will remain thus.

* A better guide to time reductions is available on the Helm-ride's official blog (http://brynnhildrshelmride.wordpress...me-deductions/). This includes various links that will assist with easing your location and valuation of the items on this list, and decide which are most suitable for your kinship to acquisition.
    Last edited by Kaerata; Feb 06 2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Math :P

Run Times

Runs will occur on the following days:

Monday
    Wednesday
    Friday

On each day, runs will be held at the following (approximate) times: 9:00 - 13:00 EST/server time, and 21:00 - 1:00 (the following day) EST/server time.

As it stands, I will be allowing two runs per slot on this schedule, giving you an average of 2 hours to complete a run (this does not mean that you must finish within this amount of time). If a run does not begin within 15 minutes of the scheduled start time (for reasons of the kinship not showing up), the spot will be offered to the next kin in line. Should that kin not be prepared to participate until their originally scheduled time, they will maintain their spot, and the first run for the time slot will instead be offered to a wildcard, should they wish to take it.

Please contact me to schedule a run that fits your kinship's convenience best. I can be reached via in-game mail on Alaeara, as well as outside of LOTRO at ala.elerina@gmail.com. Twitter requests to @alaelerina will also be honoured. Please include in your requests:

Kinship Name
    Kinship Leader's Name
    Date of Run (i.e., February 10th)
    Time Slot of Run (i.e., 9:00 - 13:00 EST)
    Order of Run (i.e., first run in this time slot)

If it happens that all times have been booked, but you would still like to participate, notify me of this, and I will put you on a prioritized wildcard list.

The official schedule is currently posted at http://brynnhildrshelmride.wordpress.com/run-times/ and will be updated as times are booked.