We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Why Wednesday?

Why Wednesday?

Just curious as to why Helm's deep is going to launch on Wednesday and not on Tuesday. The outage has ended and i understand it must be delayed but it is now back and running, no reason to delay it 2 days rather than 1.....not cool just saying!

Run it tomorrow and you have the rest of the week to fix issues being reported.

Because the parts 'We-' in Wednesday and Westemnet sound similar to each other?

The servers are up but not all of the problems are fixed yet. Many players across multiple servers are reporting that they can't connect to some of their characters, which means some servers have had a data corruption. Since there are significant changes to all player characters happening in this expansion, Turbine wants to make sure that they have fixed the character problems before they apply the changes to those characters which the new expansion requires. If Turbine went ahead with the expansion patch without fixing the character problems, those characters would still be unusable after the update has finished, and Turbine would not able to recover those characters from database backups because of the differences to the characters before/after the game update. It's easier to fix the character problems first, then do the update than the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
    The servers are up but not all of the problems are fixed yet. Many players across multiple servers are reporting that they can't connect to some of their characters, which means some servers have had a data corruption. Since there are significant changes to all player characters happening in this expansion, Turbine wants to make sure that they have fixed the character problems before they apply the changes to those characters which the new expansion requires. If Turbine went ahead with the expansion patch without fixing the character problems, those characters would still be unusable after the update has finished, and Turbine would not able to recover those characters from database backups because of the differences to the characters before/after the game update. It's easier to fix the character problems first, then do the update than the other way around.
    Right again.

I think I shall group you with people like Yula, Khafar, and my husband whheydt, as one who really knows what he's talking about.

/cheer
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Here's hoping that on Wed, if it isn't ready to go they delay another week. Id rather have as problem free as a release as possible. Extra day or two isn't going to kill anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgrum View Post
    Here's hoping that on Wed, if it isn't ready to go they delay another week. Id rather have as problem free as a release as possible. Extra day or two isn't going to kill anyone.
    If it is delayed past this Wednesday, I would expect the new date to be on or after December 2nd. Next week is going to be a short workweek (3 days, or less) for many people and would be a generally bad time to do the update.

Exclamation

They'll have it up Wednesday, or Turbine will have to answer to the Hobbit Bounders!
    "Never laugh at live Dragons...."

~Bilbo Baggins

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    If it is delayed past this Wednesday, I would expect the new date to be on or after December 2nd. Next week is going to be a short workweek (3 days, or less) for many people and would be a generally bad time to do the update.

Ehh.. I doubt that long. They will probably kill themselves to launch this week and have the new stuff working by Thanksgiving so all the kids out of school can play. (I mean, the paying adults who will be off for four days and need to buy 100 Mithril coins for their third trait setup.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgrum View Post
    While I doubt it will be delayed that much, this is a sentiment I really wish I saw more of.

A very wise man once said: "A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad forever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    Run it tomorrow and you have the rest of the week to fix issues being reported.
    Doing that could of caused way more issues then they could fix in a week.

It's foolishness in the extreme to try and push new code on to a server that isn't 100% stable. Until they know for sure, that every issue from the poweroutage is fixed, they need to hold off on the HD release.

Not think they know, or don't see any issues for 10 minutes or even an hour. They need to wait until there are zero issues for at least 12 hours before they consider pushing the update out.

Sapience answered this very question here. In detail.