We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarfox View Post
    As soon as I saw this I saw where it was going
    Here's another story from my past, at a different data centre. That place was built part way up a hill. One day a water pipe in the building next door, and uphill from the data centre, burst. Water has a strange habit of flowing downhill.

It turned out that part of an external wall of the data centre wasn't completely waterproofed. Guess which part of the wall the burst pipe was closest to? Water actually came into the main data centre room under the false floor, and not just a little bit of water. There was enough water that it was coming in through the wall, through the main server room, and out the front entrance of the building in a visible stream. All the power and data cables under the false floor were on raised trays in case of a "water under the floor" problem, so the situation wasn't as dramatic as it looked, and all the systems stayed up, but it had some managers running in circles for the day. The waterproofing of the external walls was upgraded soon after that.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBadgewick View Post
    My hunch is there are multiple physical servers for each "server".
    That's right.

If there was a sudden power outage and zero battery backup then they aren't just going to go down hard it would be like losing RAID integrity.
    Right again.

THAT sucks big time.

My hunch is the batteries that should be there as a stop gap between power failure and backup generator starting failed miserably.

Someone probably forgot to put diesel in the generator. Actually seen that happen before.
    /sigh

Anything's possible.

As I've said a couple-three times before today, we will probably never find out just what happened.

But I'd love to eavesdrop when the Turbine people talk to the data center people and say [to put it
    mildly] "What happened?????"
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

As an IT professional, I am struggling to understand how a power outage completely cripples all the game servers.
    As a professional in a couple other fields, I'm struggling to understand how you don't understand that sometimes things break and when they are outsourced to a third party, the outsourcing company doesn't have any direct way to correcting the problem immediately.

But I'd love to eavesdrop when the Turbine people talk to the data center people and say [to put it
    mildly] "What happened?????"
    Haha, they'd be lucky if that's all they said

The Order of The Silver Flame - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!

["What happened?????]

Quote Originally Posted by Widoch View Post
    Well, I was editing out all the stuff that the filter would have turned into #$%^& @#$%&^&$$#!!!

The servers are hosted by Internap in their Somerville, MA data center.

Not just Turbine, but ALL customers using that data center were affected. Akliz Hosting tweeted about the problem. I'm guessing that some heads may have rolled this morning in Somerville.

I hope Turbine's contract has a nice penalty clause sufficient to fund development of a tasty raid in the next content update.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by nosdracir View Post
    the servers are hosted by internap in their somerville, ma data center.

I hope turbine's contract has a nice penalty clause sufficient to fund development of a tasty raid in the next content update. :d
    seconded!!!

And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    The servers are hosted by Internap in their Somerville, MA data center.

Not just Turbine, but ALL customers using that data center were affected. Akliz Hosting tweeted about the problem. I'm guessing that some heads may have rolled this morning in Somerville.

I hope Turbine's contract has a nice penalty clause sufficient to fund development of a tasty raid in the next content update.
    *grins* Thirded!

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Widoch View Post
    As a professional in a couple other fields, I'm struggling to understand how you don't understand that sometimes things break and when they are outsourced to a third party, the outsourcing company doesn't have any direct way to correcting the problem immediately.

If they really wanted to play hardball, they'd say "Do you want us to sic our players on you?"
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Astarte View Post
    If they really wanted to play hardball, they'd say "Do you want us to sic our players on you?"
    If only. But seriously, folks, we don't have Legendary Weapons and enchanted armour in real life. We
    would probably do better to hold a sit-in at their door, holding protest signs.

I can't think of what to put on the signs, though. "Give Us Back Our Eight Hours!" ... but that lacks
    bizazz. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    I can't think of what to put on the signs, though. "Give Us Back Our Eight Hours!" ... but that lacks
    bizazz.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bizazz
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

[as a way of saying, "Define 'bizazz,' please"]

Also spelled "pizazz," it means flash, verve, style, something that will catch your eye.

A theatrical term originally, I believe, and I have no idea what language it was from. Yiddish, maybe,
    like so many other words that have enriched American English via the theatre? Or it could just be
    some made-up onomatopoeia.

Here's a lyric that doesn't use "bizazz," but includes a lot of synonyms.

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/chicago/razzledazzle.htm

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Anything you don't understand is magic.
    OMG...does that mean Sapience is magic?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Astarte View Post
    Or accidentally Tweet the direct line to the management?

Understanding is a three-edged blade.

Their side (turbines)
    The others side (Datacenter)
    And the truth.

Unless we're privy to first two - we're metaphorically only theoretical scientists guessing at what happens when we send Y particle through a collider to impact Z particle - result - a thousand sub-particles are distributed and we're all left blinking realizing we just created six years more work.

Without two of three edges in full details - even the educated in this thread are but guessing.
    [center][img]http://gameofgeeks.com/ithsignature.png[/img][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Ceejay90 View Post
    In case the OP does not realise, this is a GAME...hardly mission critical. Back ups fail, there were far worse things happening in the States last night than loss of a game!
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? Ofcourse it's mission critical the fate of Middle Earth relies on the servers being up.....Think of the Hobbits. Won’t somebody please think of the Hobbits!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
    Here's another story from my past, at a different data centre. That place was built part way up a hill. One day a water pipe in the building next door, and uphill from the data centre, burst. Water has a strange habit of flowing downhill.

It turned out that part of an external wall of the data centre wasn't completely waterproofed. Guess which part of the wall the burst pipe was closest to? Water actually came into the main data centre room under the false floor, and not just a little bit of water. There was enough water that it was coming in through the wall, through the main server room, and out the front entrance of the building in a visible stream. All the power and data cables under the false floor were on raised trays in case of a "water under the floor" problem, so the situation wasn't as dramatic as it looked, and all the systems stayed up, but it had some managers running in circles for the day. The waterproofing of the external walls was upgraded soon after that.
    I've got a good story involving our DC, water, and losing all power from a couple of years back.

OK, to start with we're a Tier 1 data center; meaning we have a backup generator but only one of them. The cause was a crazy combination of a "very" wet winter and an exposed wire (Rodents!!) from the street power.

As the recent snow melted it flooded the conduit (problem #1) and caused a short between the exposed wire and the conduit (Problem #2) and the arcing flashed the water to steam which bubbled up the conduit into the transfer switch, destroying it at exactly 4:45 on a Friday afternoon (No Kidding!). The UPS' kept the servers up long enough to bring them down gracefully (which we have to do pretty much as soon as we realize the generator isn't coming online since the UPS units won't run the A/C).

It was maddening being completely offline with both a functioning generator and street power online but the xfer switch dripping wet and toasted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2