We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: The films

Question The films

So, i'm new here, and i wanted to know, how many of you guys think the films are great, i love them personally!!

You've posted in the wrong forum category, this section is specifically for questions and suggestions about the forum and website only, the category you need to post this in is the off topic section at the link below ...

https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdi...p?96-Off-Topic

Edit: No i'm not going mad and posting that it's in the wrong forum when it's not, it was in the wrong forum, a mod has moved it
    Last edited by Edrogar; Nov 20 2013 at 08:05 AM.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

I'm very fond of the first film, but I really disliked the second and third.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Overall I loved the films. I never thought I would see the magical wonderful world of Tolkien brought to the big screen in all its beauty and glory. I think Jackson did a great job; however I do have some beef with some of the deviations from the books (Faramir's character assassination for example,) which I could not reconocile with artistic license....

Oh and welcome! I've been here for six plus years. While it has lost it's luster, I still think Lotro is a good game. I hope you have many happy times here. The community, for the most part, is great (and a large part of the reason I am still here.)
    *Shaedoe 100 Loremaster "The Diva" * Boudicia 100 Captain * Asilith 100 Hunter * *Elisel 100 Mini * Lywynn 100 Guard * Pupyluv Rank 6 Stalker

I liked the films, but then again I like most films.

I (eventually) recognized the films were a cinematic interpretation. While I was mad about it (especially as the films began to deviate more and more from the books) I know the film-makers had a very difficult job. They had to make the films as profitable as possible, which called for balance and making the film at least somewhat enjoyable for as many people as possible. I don't hold the films to the standards I hold for books.

The costumes were excellent, the acting was good. It was a visual masterpiece if nothing else.

I don't think they could have made films 3 hrs each, made it enjoyable to a wide audience and also kept the Tolkien purists happy. It's practically impossible, and I do mean impossible.

After hearing what Boyens and Walsh were faced with (or what they thought they were faced with), I can understand why the films were made like they were, and why they had to change Faramir's character. The books didn't produce an acceptable ending for Frodo and Sam in the Two Towers (as far as movies go), and they wanted the films to have an ending for them. They wanted to extend Faramir's screen time, too.

I may not have liked the changes initially but after all these years and spending the time to listen to Boyens and Jackson talk about it I understand the paths they chose.

EDIT: I think they knew what they were doing.
    There is no hope

I absolutely love the films. As much as I love the books, and I read them once a year, they would just make a boring movie. An ecxellent example is Pippin dropping all that stuff down the well instead of a single rock. I think PJ did a fantastic job.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I <3 all of them! can't wait for the hobbit 2 and 3 to be out! xD

Quote Originally Posted by Gilstad View Post

After hearing what Boyens and Walsh were faced with (or what they thought they were faced with), I can understand why the films were made like they were, and why they had to change Faramir's character. The books didn't produce an acceptable ending for Frodo and Sam in the Two Towers (as far as movies go), and they wanted the films to have an ending for them. They wanted to extend Faramir's screen time, too.

I may not have liked the changes initially but after all these years and spending the time to listen to Boyens and Jackson talk about it I understand the paths they chose.

EDIT: I think they knew what they were doing.
    Yes, listening to the directors' comments for the The Two Towers made me swallow the Faramir thing a little better; and I do understand they needed to appeal to a broader audience. I've defended many of their decisions (Arwen for example), and understand the difficulty. It's kind of what Turbine struggles with as well. But, I think there might have been a way to do it with still showing the nobleness of Faramir. I read or heard somewhere, maybe after Return of the King was out, that Boyens said if they had to do it over, would have perhaps done it a bit differently.
    *Shaedoe 100 Loremaster "The Diva" * Boudicia 100 Captain * Asilith 100 Hunter * *Elisel 100 Mini * Lywynn 100 Guard * Pupyluv Rank 6 Stalker