We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Trait System 101 - A Guide To How It Works

Actually no this is not, but don't you wish it was?

I just got back into the game this week, and it's been a huge shock.

I see lots of advanced stuff and lists of skills changes etc. But where is the basic guide? The one that tells me how the system fundamentally works.

Shouldn't that be in game, and stickied somewhere important? Heck, there aren't even mouse-over info boxes on the new trait window.

I'm a guard, and did you know that guards get a 300% threat bonus when specializing blue or yellow? Pretty important bit of info that. Took me over an hour of digging to find that little cherry.

It's telling me I need to specialize at every login... but what does that even mean?

Could someone in the know put a 101 guide together, or point me to the post/document?

I see a lot of upset people, and I can't help thinking a lot of it is because of the lack of clear, easy to find info on what this new system is...
    Last edited by Tallship; Dec 02 2013 at 02:30 AM.

Agreed, I have friends who just gave up on the new skill trees because theye didn't know what to do. I have tried to help them but I have no more idea that they do. I am not talking HOW to use the trees, I mean WHAT trees to pick for their persoanl circumstances. How do they decide what spec to pick, etc. Very VERY poor communication here. Turbine has managed to alienate enough players with the changes already, they don't need to alienate more!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallship View Post
    Actually no this is not, but don't you wish it was?

I just got back into the game this week, and it's been a huge shock.

I see lots of advanced stuff and lists of skills changes etc. But where is the basic guide? The one that tells me how the system fundamentally works.

Shouldn't that be in game, and stickied somewhere important? Heck, there aren't even mouse-over info boxes on the new trait window.

I'm a guard, and did you know that guards get a 300% threat bonus when specializing blue or yellow? Pretty important bit of info that. Took me over an hour of digging to find that little cherry.

It's telling me I need to specialize at every login... but what does that even mean?

Could someone in the know put a 101 guide together, or point me to the post/document?

I see a lot of upset people, and I can't help thinking a lot of it is because of the lack of clear, easy to find info on what this new system is...
    There were no guides to help you before except for the player created ones. Sort of like the ones they linked to in the Release Notes. You do get info when you mouse over boxes in the trait window (I just checked). You are encountering nothing a new player didn't already encounter upon rolling a guard.
    I like ice cream.

I've never played a guard, so I can't give you any guard-specific advice. However I think I can give you a few general pointers that might make your aproach to trait trees easier.

First of all, as far as I know, there are 3 ways to acquire trait points:
    1. Completing class deeds (repeat a certain skill X amount of times).
    2. Completing class quests (lvl 15, 30, 45, etc.)
    3. Leveling auto-grants trait points (I'm not sure what lvls do this, I just know my lvl 85 LM has gained points by leveling lately).

So, when you first open your class traits tab, you are asked to pick a spec; blue, red or yellow. There is a small description about what the spec is focused on, as well as the trait-set bonuses. You will notice that, regardless of the spec you pick, you are then directed to the trait trees tab, and they all look very similar.

What difference does it make, then, which spec you choose? Well first of all you will notice that the traits corresponding to the spec you chose cost 1 trait point, whereas the traits of the other specs (off-specs) cost 2. So if you picked blue, the traits in the blue tree will cost 1 point, and the traits in the red and yellow trees will cost 2. The second difference you will notice is that the trait-set bonuses to the left are the ones corresponding to the spec line you chose. So if you chose the blue line, you will only have access to the trait-set bonuses of the blue line.

The trait-set bonuses will be granted to you automatically once you "purchase" enough traits. They go on intervals of 5, so the first bonus is granted after 5 traits are acquired, the second one after 10, and so on. Important note: trait-set bonuses are granted based on traits acquired, not on points spent. This means that if you spend 10 points in an off-spec, that is only 5 traits (since each costs 2), and it will advance only 5 steps in your trait-set bonus bar.

That's about it. It's expected that you might not completely understand it only by reading this. I recommend you go in-game and spec and re-spec many times. Try out different builds, pay attention to you total points and how they are distributed. Keep an eye on the bar to the side and watch how it progresses through the different set-bonuses.

Good Luck!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020100004f382b/signature.png]Bloodbad[/charsig]

Reading material:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...des-on-Changes

Its in the Character Creation main forum, where you should be looking. And the links direct you to your class home forums, where you SHOULD already have looked.

The detailed link has been provided, but simply, hit your trait key.

A window will pop up with the three trait lines just like the old days, the difference is now you have to select one as your "specialty". That's what that means.

There are overviews of the difference, either pick which you want, or pick the same one you used to use back when you had to go to bards to trait.

Then start clicking in the same color for the traits/abilities/skills you want. You may also pick from the other colors/specialties, but you'll see each costs twice as much.

Click apply, done.

Alternatively cancel and redo. You may also right click to get points back before you apply.

If you accept, then re-spec, don't be shocked it'll cost more than it used to with bards (almost a gold at level 74).

You can now have multiple specs, and freely switch between them anywhere out of combat.

Note, when putting points into things, don't feel overwhelmed, as you really have very limited choices, and things have prerequisites you have to spend on to gain, so your hands are tied, which makes it easy since you don't have to decide anything, just click a bunch of times until you get what you want.

PS: The 300% damage value being threat is really irrelevant, you can't affect that number, it is a behind the scenes scheme. If you want to know more about threat changes, there's a link within the guide to change above. Basically as a guard in a tank spec, you innately have threat, all of your skills provide threat, and you rely on force taunts to grab MOBs.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm