We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Competitive Play in LotRO

Hey guys,

I've always had hopes for Turbine making EM competitive in stead of zerg. They have failed to do so for 6 years now so it's time to try and show some initiative. Here's my idea.

We'll set up a competitive league for 6v6. This will be comparable to other games, in whole other genres, like Call of Duty, where certain weapons, kill streaks and maps are prohibited because they make matches unbalances.

People can sign up a team in a different thread if this thread gets enough attention. We'll hold "League Play" matches every month or every other months or so or just when the leader of one team challenges the other.

General rules will be set up such as no usage of the 1 hour CD racials for Freeps or outcombat rezzing. All we can do is trust on the willingness of both teams to try play fair and with as few things the other side can not have such as store buffs (I know everyone can get them, but not everyone will) or macro's.

When one side notices they annihilate the opposing team, maybe they can consider in the rematch to not use certain CDs they did use in previous fight.

I think this can be an interesting concept.

Ideas?
    +Moose+ tells you, 'Do you still need me to put the smack down on this foe??'

Are you serious?

I don't even...

Awesome idea.
    I think KR will be interested.
    [URL=http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/phx4everCZ/media/staenyacute%20soubor_zps6e4l16tx.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r660/phx4everCZ/staenyacute%20soubor_zps6e4l16tx.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthiness View Post
    Hey guys,

I've always had hopes for Turbine making EM competitive in stead of zerg. They have failed to do so for 6 years now so it's time to try and show some initiative. Here's my idea.

We'll set up a competitive league for 6v6. This will be comparable to other games, in whole other genres, like Call of Duty, where certain weapons, kill streaks and maps are prohibited because they make matches unbalances.

People can sign up a team in a different thread if this thread gets enough attention. We'll hold "League Play" matches every month or every other months or so or just when the leader of one team challenges the other.

General rules will be set up such as no usage of the 1 hour CD racials for Freeps or outcombat rezzing. All we can do is trust on the willingness of both teams to try play fair and with as few things the other side can not have such as store buffs (I know everyone can get them, but not everyone will) or macro's.

When one side notices they annihilate the opposing team, maybe they can consider in the rematch to not use certain CDs they did use in previous fight.

I think this can be an interesting concept.

Ideas?

Sounds good although it is in wrong timing because we need to check what is happening with HD PvP first.

As well as that a main rule should be to have specific set up (1 or 2 healers/ 1 or 2 support / 3 or 4 dps) because packs of specific classes maybe is impossible to fall down on 6max..

Lets see what new expansion will bring and we can discuss it again after 1 month when freeps will have some decent pvp gear..

I amar prestar aen.. ''the world has changed..''

Back in ROI I challenged the freeps to a 6v6 with the old kr gang. Balance and meta have changed and 6v6 would lead to a neverending fight as healing is superior. We don't even know what HD will bring.
    [color=mediumblue]Curuorn, Guardian - Barcode, Warden, leader of Rebirth -[/color][color=Maroon] Dodar, Reaver - Curuornn, Warleader[/color]
    [color=forestgreen]One of the founders of KhaosRogues (R.I.P. Muz, Goor, Lasto), son of Vandalf.[/color]
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/CuruuKR/featured]Withywindle PvMP Videos[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by jivius View Post
    Sounds good although it is in wrong timing because we need to check what is happening with HD PvP first.

As well as that a main rule should be to have specific set up (1 or 2 healers/ 1 or 2 support / 3 or 4 dps) because packs of specific classes maybe is impossible to fall down on 6max..

Lets see what new expansion will bring and we can discuss it again after 1 month when freeps will have some decent pvp gear..
    As with everything it will need adjusting as we go along. I can't say now that Fellowship's Heart should be banned and then see every Freep team lose their healer in first few seconds.

My thought exactly was to have very specific rules as is very common in Competitive Play (My brother is a sponsored CoD player and the limitations between public matches and competitive are quite severe), so we'll just have to see what needs to be set in rules and what is open to suggestions as we go along.

CuruornEU
    Back in ROI I challenged the freeps to a 6v6 with the old kr gang. Balance and meta have changed and 6v6 would lead to a neverending fight as healing is superior. We don't even know what HD will bring.
    1 healer and 1 cappie/wl max on each team should be able to get through. A well timed stun in a blight is all it takes or a well time oathies with a burst from a champ and hunter. I think some fights may go on but then both parties can just break off the match. Such things will also be in rules then.

An example for a rule would be:
    1. If one of your party DC's at the start of the fight (not when he is already dead or near the end), group up as a team and jump.

I like the idea. Hope more ppl will be interested to make it work.
    'In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.'

Fantastic idea, but I do agree with Haras that probably best to let HD (when it actually arrives...) settle in first.
    Akrorgash - r11 reaver // Morakh - r8 wl // Tyrakh r6 ba // Silthus r8 Defi // Rawrik r6 neglected warg // ----- Withywindle

Quote Originally Posted by Akrorgash View Post
    Fantastic idea, but I do agree with Haras that probably best to let HD (when it actually arrives...) settle in first.
    This idea is for HD of course. We will see how balance is first and then I'll start writing an official thread with rules and guidelines.

Yeah, like your idea, Stealth... as Ode says, KR members would definitely be interested in this idea. Group-fights are far more fun and interesting than raids, which are in any case plagued by terrible lag these days. Also agree with the other posters that we should wait to see how HD pvmp plays, as that will affect the balance/composition of potential groups. Would be interesting if Turbine allowed for group vs group spars within Creep or Freep sides...

Cheers for taking the initiative;

-- Bralg
    [URL=http://imageshack.com/i/04j4ruj][IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img4/2329/j4ru.jpg[/IMG][/URL]Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.com]ImageShack.com[/URL]

I see dead freeple...

Great idea man
    Hope this can happen soon in HD.

See you
    Lavasioth
    E-strolling must be made in South Africa.

Hm... This idea i like If i ever get my Freep toons to 95 i think i might be interested in fighting. Or my warg.

This is a good idea, i think kins/tribe can have like a clan war when they pick 6 members for a team to come and battle at some designated position on the map. Then have a elo ranking system to see who is on top right now.

Noone have a clue how the balance will be in HD so discussion banning skills such as impale epic conclusion or fellowship heart is pointless, ooc reses is also quite hard to pull off in 6vs6 so dont think we will need to ban them, it is hard to do but if u can pull it off u get a high revard and can turn around a loosing match.

Storepots, food, tolkens and such can probably be used to balance the game. If for example creeps winns 80% of all matches we could ban them for using any food but allow freeps to use food, and it maybe become balance or the other way around.

I rather see rules about buff then banning some skills since the more skills u have the more intresting the fights will be. We on freepside will allready loose half our skills in HD so loosing more of them will make the classes onedimentional.

It will be a lot of balance discussions if are doing this, so we need to come up with a objective way to determine balance with winrate and stuff like that.

Maybe a good time to start this is januari 2014 when freeps start to become geared enough.

And of course if u want this to work everyone needs to be a part of making up the rules.

we should come back to this when HD hits and everybody gets acclimated and classes are re-evaluated.
    But this is a very good idea and I hope it comes into fruitition.
    [IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/344cakx.jpg[/IMG]

This idea is still here, but will have to stay low until Freeps get mitigations against the new Creeps damage types and new Audacity sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisch View Post
    The only thing really saving pretty much anyone from 3 impales atm is the cappy bubble. Seeing the reaver dots getting stacked up on a person, you better be fast with your bubble. Especially since most freeps run around with ~14k morale. No heal in the world can save you from that, maybe only pure luck.

But if freeps have a well balanced group, it is actually possible right now to fight against a creep group of the same size. Ofc its hard, ofc you will kneel alot to the power of the creeps, but still we were able to whipe some same sized groups of creeps yesterday (6k renown without any tomes).
    Though in all fairness creeps group combos never had more then 1 warleader.

In 3 vs 3; burg, dps mini and cappy versus 1 warleader and 2 reavers could go either way. Though almsot every time, no matter which side won, every side took at least 1 kill with them before dieing.

When the audacity is fixed again, the creeps will have to rely more then ever before on balanced groups with healers, especially warleaders to make up for some freep skills. Several warleaders in any fight is a nightmare atm with their 1 minute Rez cooldown and will be one of your strengths after the fix.
    since leischo posted this i had on my mind that we actually could start already with it.
    since freeps atm really reley on each others, and if the groups are well balanced then this could go either way and it depends on skill of players in
    the fells, and ofc a bit of luck.

Hope to see this pick up fast, it would be nice and keeps the dailey creeps like me, dunc, adishadow, berenakh, ... entertained till real action picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by scawandsaer View Post
    since leischo posted this i had on my mind that we actually could start already with it.
    since freeps atm really reley on each others, and if the groups are well balanced then this could go either way and it depends on skill of players in
    the fells, and ofc a bit of luck.

Hope to see this pick up fast, it would be nice and keeps the dailey creeps like me, dunc, adishadow, berenakh, ... entertained till real action picks up.
    I'm the first to tell you to dive into small scale action as much as you can, but it's too early for me in the expansion to make any sort of arrangements for the plan I have with this. It's gonna be bigger then just signing up a team and dive into a fight, although you can of course always do this outside this Competitive League.

Most of the creeps who can start something have our TS.

So coem there and ask for fights. Im pretty sure if we got time we will always get a team together in DoH.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisch View Post
    Most of the creeps who can start something have our TS.

So coem there and ask for fights. Im pretty sure if we got time we will always get a team together in DoH.
    I dont have ur TS and since kami doesnt play creep atm we dont really have anyone who can contact u from creepside.

Quote Originally Posted by scawandsaer View Post
    I dont have ur TS and since kami doesnt play creep atm we dont really have anyone who can contact u from creepside.
    Dunc and the germans do, but write me ingame and i sent it to you as well.