We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Display driver has stopped working and has recovered

I need help from anyone that has had this problem and knows how to fix it.
    I have 8gigs of ram, and a 8month old graphic card.
    I'm running LotRO on the lowest graphics settings.
    I keep getting this error that says "the display driver has stopped working and has recovered"
    The screen turns black and stays there. Although I can hear the game still running.
    This happens around every 30 min in open world play and about every 15 SECONDS if I'm in an
    Instance or in session play. Also occurs if I'm on the character select screen for more than 30 seconds.
    I've looked everywhere for a solution to this.
    I've updated drivers, tried using an auto fix wizard on the Microsoft webpage.
    Nothing has helped.
    Also I should mention that I am able to run GW2 and SWToR on max graphics settings for hours and haven't
    Had any problems. I only get this problem when playing LotRO.

Please help me fix this anyone.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...ng-this-issue/

https://www.lotro.com/en/forums/show...-has-recovered

If you only get it when you play LOTRO, make sure you have the files LOTRO needs to run (Directx 9.0c) and you might change your settings as suggested here. Make sure SLI/crossfire/multiple GPU isn't enabled.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...s-driver-crash
    Last edited by EmyrSelyf; Nov 05 2013 at 03:14 PM.

Another thing you could try is disabling windows power saving features for your video card. This is an easily verifiable but extremely poorly documented potential cause of tdrs. The power saving features for gpu can be overly aggressive/poorly implemented that it can cause instability. There are many potential causes of tdr, running cpu and gpu stress tests like prime95 and fur mark to check temperatures and stability would be useful. Just a thought, are you sure that swtor and gw2 don't produce tdrs? From personal experience both those apps are able to recover from tdrs. You would experience a few seconds of display not responding then play would continue as normal. Lotro is unable to recover from tdr so it crashes.

So far so good

tyvm for you suggestions!

i was able to play the last 3 hours with zero crashes or interruptions!
    so hopefully it wont happen again...
    I set the graphics to DX9 instead of DX11 and it seemed to work great!

again, tyvm!

I had this same display driver problem earlier. I was able to play in dx9 mode after some changes in userpreferences file, but dx11 was still crashing.

I found a guide how to set the delay before Windows resets display driver and it fixed that error. Client still crashed to desktop, but the reason was DX11 error. I made some changes to userpreferences file and i have played at least 10 hours without any crashes.

Here is what i did:

I created 2 registry keys (TdrLevel and TdrDelay). ValueData for TdrLevel was 3 and TdrDelay 20.

TdrLevel:
    Specifies the initial level of recovery. The default value is to recover on timeout (TdrLevelRecover).

KeyPath : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Curr entControlSet\Control\Graphics Drivers
    KeyValue : TdrLevel
    ValueType : REG_DWORD
    ValueData : TdrLevelOff (0) - Detection disabled
    TdrLevelBugcheck (1) - Bug check on detected timeout, for example, no recovery.
    TdrLevelRecoverVGA (2) - Recover to VGA (not implemented).
    TdrLevelRecover (3) - Recover on timeout. This is the default value.

TdrDelay:
    Specifies the number of seconds that the GPU can delay the preempt request from the GPU scheduler. This is effectively the timeout threshold. The default value is 2 seconds.

KeyPath : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Curr entControlSet\Control\Graphics Drivers
    KeyValue : TdrDelay
    ValueType : REG_DWORD
    ValueData : Number of seconds to delay. 2 seconds is the default value.

I made chages to userpreferences file that is found in your Documents > The Lord of the Rings Online folder

[Display]
    AllowFakeFullScreen=False
    SyncToRefresh=True
    Resolution= matches your current Windows desktop resolution
    Antialiasing=4x
    AllowDesktopCompositing=True

[Troubleshooting]
    MaximumFrameRate=57