We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Checking .dat files

Downloaded and installed the game, even patched the game the first time.

Now it gets stuck here:

Any thoughts?
    Bludborn (105 Champion), Bludbane (105 Captain), Bludbeard (105 Guardian), Bludden (105 Warden), Bluddo (105 Burglar), Bludbow (105 Hunter), Bludtoot (100 Minstrel), Bludstone (105 Rune-Keeper), Bluddir (100 Lore-Master), Bludbjorn (100 Beorning), Burrt (105 Minstrel)
    Twitch Channel http://twitch.tv/bludborn

the same thing happened to me. I replaced all of the .dat files in the lotto folder. After I did that, it patched just fine. But I still can't get into the game. WHen I try to log in a game error pops up

I'm having the same problem and don't know how to access my dat files to replace them if anyone could help with that. However, opening the launcher with system it seems the root of the problem may lay elsewhere in not being able to load the next phase. The message that stops the load is:

objc[8764]: Class NSUserDefaultsWrapper is implemented in both /Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/patchclient.dylib and /Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/TTEPatchClient.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

If anyone who is better than I at computers could help everything out it would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyedron View Post
    I'm having the same problem and don't know how to access my dat files to replace them if anyone could help with that. However, opening the launcher with system it seems the root of the problem may lay elsewhere in not being able to load the next phase. The message that stops the load is:

objc[8764]: Class NSUserDefaultsWrapper is implemented in both /Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/patchclient.dylib and /Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/TTEPatchClient.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

If anyone who is better than I at computers could help everything out it would be much appreciated.
    Firstly you need to Submit a Ticket so that Turbine are aware of this issue which is effecting some players giving as much detail including computer spec/ RAM, OS version etc. and copy the LotroLauncher.log output in the message or as a plain text attachment (copy/paste to plain text in TextEdit app and save then attach via Turbine web form). You can find it via Console app or at;

~/Library/Logs/LotroLauncher.log

The error message you posted is normal for the LOTRO launcher and is not the issue.

Switch off your Firewall

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall: Off
    if that doesn't help.

Check through this thread and try the suggestions there including trashing turbine files in ~/Library (prefs etc.)

Rather than try to replace individual .dat files it's better to following the instructions to remove the existing install and re-download the LotroLauncher.dmg and install fresh after trashing all these files.

Important to let the .dmg file fully Verify also on install.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...enter-the-game

I have net seen any workaround for this particular issue other than switching off Firewall for some so important you do make a ticket. Try the other things in the meantime. and post back if still not working with that log file.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Hey, Thanks for responding.

While I'm waiting for a response on my ticket, as an update that maybe you can help with. I've had my firewall down and gatekeeper set to anyone since the beginning and still had issues downloading. After following you other instructions on the other post I found I was missing the files com.turbine.lotroclient and com.turbine.lotroclient.plist. So I decided to scrap everything that I had, and re-download. However, downloading seems to be an issue for me as I get to 2.15gb downloaded and it finishes. The only time it has worked was when the disk permissions for my harddrives disk image finished repairing mid-download. I also have in a ticket for this however if you have help for it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hey, Thanks for responding.

While I'm waiting for a response on my ticket, as an update that maybe you can help with. I've had my firewall down and gatekeeper set to anyone since the beginning and still had issues downloading. After following you other instructions on the other post I found I was missing the files com.turbine.lotroclient and com.turbine.lotroclient.plist. So I decided to scrap everything that I had, and re-download. However, downloading seems to be an issue for me as I get to 2.15gb downloaded and it finishes. The only time it has worked was when the disk permissions for my harddrives disk image finished repairing mid-download. I also have in a ticket for this however if you have help for it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Double check you were in the correct Library directory for the prefs files

~/Library/Preferences

being your user account directory

not

/Library/Preferences

which is the system directory

If you have not been able to get past the login/pass then it will not have created the com.turbine.lotroclient.plist file but should have created the com.turbine.LotroLauncher.plis t one.

Same with com.turbine.lotroclient which is a folder in Application Support.

Incomplete download is most likely an issue during download. It is best to Trash the partially downloaded LotroLauncher.dmg file and restart as is likely corrupted and hence stopping at a certain point.

Also ensure you have sufficient hard drive space for the download. The file is around 17.74GB and to install requires 39GB plus system overhead on top. As you have successfully d/l the file I assume there is no d/l limit by your ISP.

I used Safari to download the file which was a resumable download. My connection is slow (2MB @ 254Kb/sec max and my provider throttled the d/l) with reboots etc. between start and completion. It still worked fine. But anything could cause an issue with such a large file dependant on the quality of the connection etc.

I don't think running Disk Utility will do anything during a d/l. It is of course a good thing to repair permissions anyhow in the course of installing apps.

Something else which may be informative. Can you check and see if you have anything in this log directory;

/Users/simon/Library/Logs/com.turbine.lotroclient
    Should be PatchClient.log

though I'm not sure if this will be made before the lotroclient.app actually launches.

It records each launch so maybe just the last few entries if so.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 12 2012 at 01:11 PM.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Thanks for all the help Toddlepip. Unfortunately I still could not find that folder in the com.turbine.lotroclient in application support though it was in Library/Logs. Also, even with every file related to lotro deleted I am still getting false "completions" at 2.15gb so hopefully a Tech support can understand whats going on. Thanks again for all the assistance though!

Thanks for all the help Toddlepip. Unfortunately I still could not find that folder in the com.turbine.lotroclient in application support though it was in Library/Logs. Also, even with every file related to lotro deleted I am still getting false "completions" at 2.15gb so hopefully a Tech support can understand whats going on. Thanks again for all the assistance though!
    Sorry to hear you still have the issues.

It's probably that the process is failing before lotroclient.app is launched and makes the folders or .plist.

Reading back I remember that Pitichampi did post a torrent of the file which helped some others with the problem. Check the post here;

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...09#post6511309

Always happy help as I can (+rep always appreciated). Fingers crossed that Tech Support can ride to the aid

Thanks again! Through the torrent I can download the launcher slowly, but easily. I still get stuck at .dat files though and all turbine had to say was "Did you follow installation instructions correctly?" sending me to a link to a page that I've seen many times. Oh well I guess I can wait for them to flesh out the beta.

Thanks again! Through the torrent I can download the launcher slowly, but easily. I still get stuck at .dat files though and all turbine had to say was "Did you follow installation instructions correctly?" sending me to a link to a page that I've seen many times. Oh well I guess I can wait for them to flesh out the beta.
    To confirm, from reading this I assume you can now download the LotroLauncher.dmg file, verify and install it OK without getting stuck at the dreaded 2.15GB thing.

The issue is now again the stuck checking the .dat files. This seems to be either a permissions issue or communications one, where the Patchclient is unable to check to the patch server to check (i.e. not able to send data out or to receive it back into the computer)

As the LotroLauncher is now working, can you post your log from here:

~/Library/Logs/LotroLauncher.log
    Do this after trying to log in. You can watch it in Console as you do so by double clicking the log and launch the LotroLauncher as normal.

It's important to keep providing Turbine with feedback on the issue, so let them know you did read it, confirm what you have tried so far (even if they get you to do it again) , also include links to this thread etc to give them as much details as possible to work on. They should also ask for a System Report to see your setup etc. In the end it's about working through the possible issues and dismissing them one by one.

A few others have this issue so hopefully if they report it also, it gives them more to work from.

Can you confirm if you already had installed either the closed beta mac client for the RoR beta, or the Wine/ Crossover Mac install prior to trying this official install?

In the meantime check out some of thr Turbine posts on Troubleshooting similar issues which may be useful in trying other things. For instance this (see link and other potential issues)

“My Launcher gets stuck on 'Examine Programs' or 'Update Programs' or gets stuck on 'Examine Game Data' or 'Update Game Data'."

SYMPTOMS: The game launcher gets to the “Examine Programs”/"Update Programs" step or “Examine Game Data”/"Update Game Data" and stops there.

SOLUTION: This typically can have a few causes, and depending on which stage it gets stuck on can help determine the cause. The "Examine" steps are when the launcher is trying to compare the files you have versus what ones are the current and determine if you need to patch. Getting stuck there is generally connection related where as if it is getting stuck at an "Update" stage while that can be connection based as well (if the launcher cannot connect to download the patched files) it can also be permissions related since the game launcher needs "administrator" level access to be able to update files, in that instance see the link here for more info on the common causes of patching issues.
    Common Technical issues (Updated-11-03-2011)

and

Network and Game Connection Troubleshooting (Updated-8-12-2010)

Some of it will be Windows specific but the general principles are the same.

Hey Toddle.
    Here is the Log from my last update attempt after installing from the torrent.

2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
    2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] Object::connect: No such signal QCheckBox::returnPressed()
    2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] Object::connect: (sender name: 'checkEnterLastPlayed')
    2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] Object::connect: (receiver name: 'loginButton')
    2012.11.12 23:36:36[W]
    2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] Config::GetValue - Hash does not contain key: "url.newaccount" . Returning null string.

2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] Config::GetValue - Hash does not contain key: "url.forgotpassword" . Returning null string.

2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] Config::GetValue - Hash does not contain key: "url.newaccount" . Returning null string.

2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] Config::GetValue - Hash does not contain key: "url.forgotpassword" . Returning null string.

Also I did not have lotro installed on my mac prior either as part of the closed beta or wine/crossover. I'll send in another ticket and check out those forum posts as well. Thanks again.

Hey Toddle.
    Here is the Log from my last update attempt after installing from the torrent.

2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] Object::connect: No such signal QCheckBox::returnPressed()
    2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] Object::connect: (sender name: 'checkEnterLastPlayed')
    2012.11.12 23:36:36[W] Object::connect: (receiver name: 'loginButton')

Also I did not have lotro installed on my mac prior either as part of the closed beta or wine/crossover. I'll send in another ticket and check out those forum posts as well. Thanks again.
    OK, that looks normal for that launcher stage. Just confirms we are not getting to the login/pass stage (because of the .dat check failure.)

Thanks for confirming if you do not have an install before. Helps try to work out any commonalities.

Fingers crossed Turbine can nail if for you and/or the patch tomorrow brings some Mac love. GL

still stuck

let the client update today, still hangs at checking .dat files....

I have no firewall on, have reinstalled, and the ports are open.
    Bludborn (105 Champion), Bludbane (105 Captain), Bludbeard (105 Guardian), Bludden (105 Warden), Bluddo (105 Burglar), Bludbow (105 Hunter), Bludtoot (100 Minstrel), Bludstone (105 Rune-Keeper), Bluddir (100 Lore-Master), Bludbjorn (100 Beorning), Burrt (105 Minstrel)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneSHADOW View Post
    let the client update today, still hangs at checking .dat files....

I have no firewall on, have reinstalled, and the ports are open.
    This is one annoying issue. I sympathise.

It appears from going through stuff with others that is is either an issue with the connection (when the LotroLauncher.app is trying to connect to the patchserver and verify the installed .dat file, either out or receiving) or some permissions issue which is preventing it from correctly checking the files.

You have already switched off the Mac Firewall and opened the ports. Can you just run a Traceroute from /Applications/Utilities/Network Utility to confirm it is connecting to the patchserver (the one it checks on launch);

patch.lotro.com
    To try and cover anything else it may be with communication check through the quote and links to Turbine support on this type of issue in this post.

For permissions we can do some things to try and at least eliminate some potential issues.

Firstly, apologies if you know all this but just in case, it's good before we start by just running some basic Mac maintenance and check permissions generally.

Check this good guide which is up to date;

Basic Mac Troubleshooting

Especially the section on Repair Disk Permissions and using Disk Utility and the File System Check.

Good practice to now reboot the Mac.

Are you running the game as Admin on the account? if you are not sure, check in;

System Preferences > Users & Groups > Current User = should have Admin under name.

To check the permissions are set correctly on the .dat files;

1. In the Finder click on Go in the menu bar (top left) and select Go To Folder....

2. In the window enter this path;

/Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents
    3. Right click on the Contents folder and click Get Info.

4. In the Sharing & Permissions section ensure that the User (your name) and admin (if shown) have both Read & Write permissions selected.

5. Click the lock to allow changes then click the gear icon (bottom left) and select Apply to enclosed items.... Confirm and close the Info window.

This should now have set the permissions of all the .dat files within Contents of the lotroclient.app.

Reboot the Mac and retry.

If no luck then we can try from a different user account and can create an Admin test user for this purpose.

System Preferences > Users & Groups
    Open the lock (password confirmation) then click + and create new account. Make sure to select Administrator from New Account: and call it whatever you wish.

Reboot the Mac and log in via this test account and try to launch LOTRO from it.

If it does not work still you can delete the account.

This does not cover everything but should at least confirm permissions are set correctly on your side.

You definitely want to Submit a Ticket.

In this way Turbine are made aware of a potential issue with the beta Mac client and can aid you directly in fixing the problem. Provide as much detail as is useful including computer spec/ RAM, OS version etc.

When you get the default response, check it and then respond and just keep the dialogue going until they can help you resolve the issue.

GL

submitted ticket

well, i have done everything i know how to do and other things listed in this and other threads. Ran out of options, submitted a ticket, and I am now just waiting.

I will let you all know if I hear back with a fix or anything useful.
    Last edited by TheOneSHADOW; Nov 18 2012 at 06:20 PM.

Exclamation

well, i have done everything i know hoe to do and other things listed in this and other threads. Ran out of options, submitted a ticket, and I am now just waiting.

I will let you all know if I hear back with a fix or anything useful.
    I have just found a potential fix for this issue! or at least, a very similar one and typing it up now for another thread. Will post it here also very soon. This worked for me when the exact same issue developed on Friday.

You still need to follow up on the ticket as it is a definite technical issue/bug which needs sorting.

EDIT: I have now posted the way I resolved a very similar issue on another thread here;

An update error occured: after patching

Try it and let me know if it works for you. There are three potential workarounds, all of which are explained with the simplest first.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 18 2012 at 06:46 PM.

Testing some of these options right now.

Have you found it necessary to run on an Administrator User? The machines in question are break room machines that have standard users on them. This would be kind of a bummer if you can't run this on a standard user.

Testing some of these options right now.

Have you found it necessary to run on an Administrator User? The machines in question are break room machines that have standard users on them. This would be kind of a bummer if you can't run this on a standard user.
    Depends what permissions are set. I think it is set to User (me) as Read & Write and others as Read only when downloaded, so can't say how it will be on your computer.

I 'think' you can rename an application but can't be certain. Same with the opening the Show Package Contents though I think you can do that and then launch directly the LotroLauncher.app way.

GL.

EDIT: Just make a test account with Standard permissions. I could not rename the app but I could open it as described and launch the LotroLauncher.app direct which worked fine. Fingers crossed for you
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 18 2012 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks Toddlepip! Renaming to get rid of the tm worked out great for me

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    Depends what permissions are set. I think it is set to User (me) as Read & Write and others as Read only when downloaded, so can't say how it will be on your computer.

I 'think' you can rename an application but can't be certain. Same with the opening the Show Package Contents though I think you can do that and then launch directly the LotroLauncher.app way.

GL.
    The permissions for this user are set to Read & Write, and I can change the names of the files.

Client is currently doing a fairly large patch...

keep you all posted.

Thanks Toddlepip! Renaming to get rid of the tm worked out great for me
    Oh that's good news Deyedron

I am not sure how this will effect future patches etc. but at least it offers a workaround while we wait for Turbine to fix it. Please, if have not already done so Submit A Bug Report so they are aware of it from as many as possible which should help get the matter bumped up and sorted, especially with a workaround.

The permissions for this user are set to Read & Write, and I can change the names of the files.

Client is currently doing a fairly large patch...

keep you all posted.
    Probably the Update 8.1 patch if you have not been able to progress before last Thursday when it went live. Did not fix the issue as I got it a day after... The patch was not too large.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 18 2012 at 07:11 PM.

I have tried since the update, but not been able to get the patch, so as far as I can see this is progress.

Created a new thread to cover this issue and workaround here.

From reports so far it looks to resolve this and similar issues being stuck during patch file checking.

Please make sure to Submit A Bug Report

Make sure to select Mac as the operating system and give as much detail as possible, including system setup (ou can get details by clicking the Apple symbol top left of screen > About This Mac > More info and copy/paste details); OS X version; description of bug and detail including /loc location. Also attach a screenshot or system report (found at More info…, see above) if relevant. Then Turbine are aware of the issue and can help fix it.

How bout that....

it worked!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast