We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remember when having ....

20 Gold and you thought you were rich...?
    Now 20 gold only just buys a stack of hides or ore !!

What had happened to the in-game economy... did we all get that greedy?

It's the last form of end game left.
    Megabob

Quote Originally Posted by TearMaker View Post
    But with gold from mobs at lvl cap which has increased, you can be quickly gold capped on several characters, if you have time to farm.

Quote Originally Posted by TearMaker View Post

I don't remember when 20 gold was considered a lot - except maybe in the first month.
    Though around the time that Sarnur was introduced, having 300 gold was quite rare.

Though while a bit of an exaggeration on your part, ore and hide stacks are ridiculously inflated. I've seen sturdy hide/leather stacks at 3 gold per fifty pieces and people actually buy it.
    You can farm two hundred hides in about fifteen minutes. The Lotro economy is being propped up by greedy sellers whom are enabled by lazy consumers.

Doesn't look good.

Or inflation. I doubt the player base has somehow all decided to become greedy together, the much more likely answer is that people have TONS of gold they don't know what to do with. Nearly everyone I talk to or play with has over 1000 gold.
    [center]
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tY1055I.jpg[/IMG]
    [color=green][b]Gloarn[/b][/color] 80 Burglar [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Glorn[/b][/color] 75 Champion [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Gloirn[/b][/color] 75 Rune-keeper [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Glourn[/b][/color] 75 Captain
    [color=brown][b]Glarnakh[/b][/color] R7 Warleader [color=grey]|[/color] [color=brown][b]Glarno[/b][/color] R6 Reaver
    [/center]

Gold is kindof easy to hoard, just do festival quests and sell the harder to get items, that and farming hides has made me all the gold I need, so I play hide and seek in Bree. I hide somewhere, make a riddle explaining where I am and give random things to whoever finds me first, gold is usually one of those things. My in-game title is Grumpisaw Philanthropic Miser. Giving away gold is an amusing pastime.
    Meshoot, rank 9 Blackarrow, Officer of Freepaphiles Riddermark
    >:} Memento Mori {:<
    Aka Grumpis the honorable Mustelidian Pew Pew of love and cheery brightness.
    >The Mustelidian Cult is the cult, is the cult for you and me<

Quote Originally Posted by Ranebow View Post

Though while a bit of an exaggeration on your part, ore and hide stacks are ridiculously inflated. I've seen sturdy hide/leather stacks at 3 gold per fifty pieces and people actually buy it.
    You should log on to other servers, on the server i play my mains your eyes would pop and would be less quick to judge what people say.... I have seem mag and large hides being sold for 20g and they sell them!!

I remember when I first started playing this game on an awesome Hobbit guadian who's since been deleted and revived from the dead.

I got all the way to 35 and got myself a horse

a Horse

on a Hobbit

it took me 2 days of grinding wood (collecting it to sell!!!) so I could afford a pony

now I have 700gold and not sure what to do with it. it'd be nice if there were some money sinks in this game late game
    [CENTER][URL=http://s739.photobucket.com/user/bubushum/media/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png.html][IMG]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/bubushum/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by bohbashum View Post

now I have 700gold and not sure what to do with it. it'd be nice if there were some money sinks in this game late game
    Play hide and seek, it's fun ;D
    Meshoot, rank 9 Blackarrow, Officer of Freepaphiles Riddermark
    >:} Memento Mori {:<
    Aka Grumpis the honorable Mustelidian Pew Pew of love and cheery brightness.
    >The Mustelidian Cult is the cult, is the cult for you and me<

All MMO's suffer from massive inflation, because none of them have enough gold syncs to maintain the economy as it was when the game released.

Even with the various gold syncs in this game, you still make money faster then you use it, so the value of everything keeps going up.

On my warden who's only lvl 50, I spent 7 gold on a house a week or so ago which left me with like 2 gold left. I think I now have 8 or 9 gold. If I can make 10-11 gold in a week or two on a lvl 45-50 character, how much faster can a lvl 85 character make money?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000023bdbd/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

It's a combination of two things:

• End-game characters get disproportionately more gold than lower-level characters.
    • The growing end-game population creates alts and shares money among characters.

The result is that prices of even low-level items and resources have skyrocketed because they are effectively being bought by end-game players *for* their lower-level characters. As a seller, you price the item based on the player (and the total gold across that player's account) rather than the character who will actually use the item.

The is barrier to new players coming into LOTRO and staying.

This is another thing that exacerbates the growing U-shaped population-level curve.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchickn View Post
    Or inflation. I doubt the player base has somehow all decided to become greedy together, the much more likely answer is that people have TONS of gold they don't know what to do with. Nearly everyone I talk to or play with has over 1000 gold.
    Exactly, supply and demand. Greed has nothing to do with it.
    [URL=http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/kidnova78/media/sig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj609/kidnova78/sig.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by kidnova78 View Post
    Karl Marx may not have agreed with that, but it's probably better not to send this thread down that particular branch-line

I'm a kin leader have been here since the beginning. Yep, then at level 35 to get a horse 4g was a grind. How about 15g for a kinhouse. I'm a level 85 and I kind of make sure I have enough to help my lower level kin. I think I've purchased probably eight houses for kin members because they didn't have the gold. When I get items someone in the kin can use I give it to them, those they don't need I sell. Just a month ago an officer in my kin needed a Tarnished Symbol to make his level 85 2nd age weapon and he told me there was one on the AH for 80 gold. I bought it for him. I sell things on the AH commensurate with the going rate, I don't inflate the price because it won't sell. In the AH I sell a lot and many think I'm bringing down the prices. The bottom line is I sell my stuff. The thing to remember is higher level items are going to go for higher prices. I use the gold I've made to help kin and friends, most don't. The problem is many crash level and want things they can't afford and don't want to take the time to grind as we did in the old days. I still grind and it pays off. I'll just keep grinding away and make my money the old fashioned way "I earned it!"

Quote Originally Posted by kidnova78 View Post

Maybe not in all cases, but generally I disagree with this.
    I try to help out young cooks with cheaper vegies, but they get snatched up by greedy people. My full stack of green onions I usually sell for 90-100s. I check later to see they've all been bought out and are being resold by a very greedy person. They sell my vegies in a half stacks for 5G! Ridiculous.

Yes, I do remember when the economy was not so lopsided.

Cheers & onward to Helm's Deep!

It's a virtual currency in a game, what else should one do with gold? this is from someone who is very frugal with RL money, it's not like I can take my in game gold and get my car fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by bohbashum View Post
    I remember when I first started playing this game on an awesome Hobbit guadian who's since been deleted and revived from the dead.

I got all the way to 35 and got myself a horse

a Horse

on a Hobbit

it took me 2 days of grinding wood (collecting it to sell!!!) so I could afford a pony

I have never had more than 100 gold on a single alt, ever, in the 3 and a half years I have been here. I have 21 alts, so that's partly why. All those crafters have needs.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    I have never had more than 100 gold on a single alt, ever, in the 3 and a half years I have been here. I have 21 alts, so that's partly why. All those crafters have needs.
    I don't have alts and consider myself rich when I get past 150g, yes, even now. I never go out of my way to get any though, as the only thing I use it for is maintenance on the house.
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

Yep, a fun trip down memory lane that is! When I first started, I got to the level for a horse, but I had nowhere near 5 gold--I think even 1g was a big deal, though that might have been my lack of understanding of how to earn money, lol. A kinnie at that time (shout out to A Shortcut to Mushrooms on Nimrodel, some of the nicest and most fun people I've met in this game!) heard I was working towards a horse and sent me the whole amount. She wouldn't let me pay it back. So now that the economy has changed so much that I have hundreds of gold on my characters, I step in and help new players with coin whenever I can, in memory of the small (or not so small at that time) kindness I was shown years ago. When I see people asking for 20g for a stack of barrow-iron, I do a double-take, but at the same time it just doesn't seem like that much anymore.

Remember ... the prices you see on the AH are not what those items are selling for.

They're the prices that everyone has refused to pay because they're too darned high.

My younger alts have maybe 5-10 gold. My seniors have somewhere between 100 and

In each case, they have more gold than they need.

If one of them needs a stack of hides, one of us will go out and hunt them.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarfox View Post

On my warden who's only lvl 50, I spent 7 gold on a house a week or so ago which left me with like 2 gold left. I think I now have 8 or 9 gold. If I can make 10-11 gold in a week or two on a lvl 45-50 character, how much faster can a lvl 85 character make money?
    Lvl 85s can get 10-11 gold out of 2-3 Sambrog runs. That's fast
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Psh, I have 752g on my main. And I still consider myself poor.
    [IMG]http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy87/Torgeau/sig-lotro_zpsf040a784.jpg[/IMG]
    -[B]Fence Sitter of Eriador[/B]-
    "[I]All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal or fattening.[/I]" - Alexander Woollcott

Something I haven't seen mentioned is the huge amount of gold the Hobbit Gambling Game (so-called Presents) has injected into the economy. Free gold on a continuous basis adds up. Makes people pay to get rid of the gold cap very quickly. :-) I'd say roughly half the time my "present" is something to be sold for gold.

Enjoy.
    The New LOTRO: * "Like fixing a toilet with a screwdriver..." *(Rest easy, quoting an esteemed forum member.)

i have 53 gold spread over 9 characters of which 5 are at cap now, but i dont care much about gold either tbh.

i see people selling symbols etc for 1200g when they first arrive to 400g couple weeks later, but what to do with such wealth i ask myself :P
    i can make all consumables myself, can buy most other stuff with marks or medallions, have 7k+ tp if needed so i dont think i need gold
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000000d9cae/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][center]~Eldar~[/center]

I have at the very most 300 gold spread out over my 16 characters on Nimrodel. Gold to me is like the One Ring to Tom Bombadil.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast