We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Other side of the blackstump! West Oz
    Posts
    7

    Thumbs down Old community website and LOTRO Lorebook?

    Greetings Middle earth o/

    I've been away in strange lands for some time did Warner Bros trash the old blue community site and the LOTRO Lorewiki that Turbine had set up? Last time I played which was a while ago the sites were still up but my links no longer work so I am just curious. If they have I'll miss the old community site it was really great! Frankly if this is the new way for Warner bros to go then they suck badly!! It sems the Mists of Mordor have seeped into these forums (dull and dreary). One wonders when the day will come when Warner Bros trades Gandalf's staff for an iPhone.

    "Sits and stares into the past dreaming of the Good Ole Turbine days"
    Last edited by Farindark; Nov 15 2013 at 11:16 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001be4a5/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Farindark Torinellas
    [IMG]http://derhobbit-film.de/rune/runes.php?fsize=30&write=000000&back=ffffff&font=1&text=travel%20safely%20my%20friends[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Actually Turbine. There was a website revamp this year. The only remaining functionality is the forum and the occasional lottery. Plus the developer diaries, ads, marketing and sales stuff.

    The replacement for the lore book is:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/
    this fan operated site.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Other side of the blackstump! West Oz
    Posts
    7
    Greetings

    Thanks for the fast response Yula! I actually did just accidentally trip over a post while poking around in here that gave some other information too so I'm up to date now thank you. Seeing as this site hasn't been up long it's fair enough that it looks like this. Hopefully they will do something unique with this site as well, at the very least give us a nice pretty LOTRO scheme to use because right now its very drab! Maybe custom avatars again as well.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001be4a5/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Farindark Torinellas
    [IMG]http://derhobbit-film.de/rune/runes.php?fsize=30&write=000000&back=ffffff&font=1&text=travel%20safely%20my%20friends[/IMG]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    The replacement for the lore book is:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/
    this fan operated site.
    Unfortunately most of the lore has been lost when the lorebook was deleted and combing the internet just refers to broken links to that lorebook. I suppose we should be grateful that skill trees will make most of the information we can no longer find obsolete!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Unfortunately most of the lore has been lost when the lorebook was deleted and combing the internet just refers to broken links to that lorebook. I suppose we should be grateful that skill trees will make most of the information we can no longer find obsolete!
    We had months of lead time before the Lore Book went done. We have only ourselves to blame for failure to copy any needed data from the Turbine Lore Book before it went off line.

    It is a common problem with fan operated sites. Not enough volunteer hours to do it all. It is larger version of the same problem companies like Turbine have - not enough worker bees - not enough dollars - not enough staff hours. As Turbine found out it is a very expensive and time consuming continuous process keep the web data current as the development staff changes stuff every day.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,677
    Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Unfortunately most of the lore has been lost when the lorebook was deleted and combing the internet just refers to broken links to that lorebook.
    Not really "lost". Just made a lot harder to get to . If you go to the Wayback Machine, you can get most anything back... especially if you know what the URL to a specific topic was.

    For example, this is the link to the page showing Community Created Guides from the May 10th snapshot of this year.

    Khafar

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,689
    Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Unfortunately most of the lore has been lost when the lorebook was deleted and combing the internet just refers to broken links to that lorebook. I suppose we should be grateful that skill trees will make most of the information we can no longer find obsolete!
    I realize this is an "old" thread -- however, I would comment that the only "lore" that was lost was invalid, incorrect, and otherwise obsolete.... and in some cases, proprietary (i.e. copyrighted) Turbine material. Most folks did not realize that probably 90+% of the materials in the Lorebook were created by Turbine, not by fans.

    Myself and others transferred much material from the Lorebook to lotro-wiki.com that was "obviously important" AND current. Other materials were actually transferred by Sapience to various Forum sections -- Player Guides in particular.

    When one looked at the Lorebook, one quickly discovered that much of the "lore" had not been updated since Turbine created the Lorebook -- i.e. the last update was back in 2008. While some of that information was unchanged since SoA, the materials in the Lorebook were Turbine's, and not available to be freely copied.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)


    Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    When one looked at the Lorebook, one quickly discovered that much of the "lore" had not been updated since Turbine created the Lorebook -- i.e. the last update was back in 2008. While some of that information was unchanged since SoA, the materials in the Lorebook were Turbine's, and not available to be freely copied.
    Turbine has a policy that allows people to copy information to their web sites as long as the purpose is to promote and support Turbine games. All the useful and valuable information in Turbine's lore book is available for copying. Naturally there needs to be some sort of acknowledgement and credit on the site pointing back to Turbine.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Farindark View Post
    Greetings Middle earth o/

    I've been away in strange lands for some time did Warner Bros trash the old blue community site and the LOTRO Lorewiki that Turbine had set up? Last time I played which was a while ago the sites were still up but my links no longer work so I am just curious. If they have I'll miss the old community site it was really great! Frankly if this is the new way for Warner bros to go then they suck badly!! It sems the Mists of Mordor have seeped into these forums (dull and dreary). One wonders when the day will come when Warner Bros trades Gandalf's staff for an iPhone.

    "Sits and stares into the past dreaming of the Good Ole Turbine days"
    More usefully, the lorebook IS in the wayback machine:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100318.../Lorebook_home

    You can't use the SEARCH features anymore, of course. But the links themselves mostly work.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pierre
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Styopa View Post
    More usefully, the lorebook IS in the wayback machine:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100318.../Lorebook_home

    You can't use the SEARCH features anymore, of course. But the links themselves mostly work.
    Oh my this brings back memories.... The feels....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002ce16f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  11. #11
    The wiki seems to serve my needs very well these days.

    I do miss, however, seeing the character data here on the website. Was a great way to track levelling, including crafting levels. Don't know why, I never shared any of it, was just fun to be able to put dates to things and see how fast different alts leveled up. If there would be some way to get this data back (not necessarily the website - even if we could click a button in the main interface and export to a spreadsheet) I'd be quite pleased.
    His sword was long, his lance was keen, his shining helm afar was seen.

  12. #12
    Oh, and the interactive map was great too.
    His sword was long, his lance was keen, his shining helm afar was seen.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload