We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Gondorian Roleplay

It came to my attention recently that there are no Gondorian RP kinships on my server, Laurelin. I can't speak for Landroval, but on Laurelin I'm going to take this as an opportunity to take the reins and try and create a thriving community of Gondorian roleplayers. Let me lay our my plan and you can tell me whether it's at all compelling.

I'm rather bored with the conventional type of roleplay where you walk up to somebody and spend 15 minutes standing still and exchanging emote text. It can be fun but normally it isn't. I play this game for the story, and that means above all else the atmosphere is important. Therefore, if you can create a good roleplay atmosphere without actually engaging in emote tedium, I think that's a very robust way to roleplay. I'm going to create a kinship that focuses on this passive type of roleplay, and I'll tell you exactly how.

I suspect one of the reasons there hasn't been much Gondorian RP is that there's really nothing Gondorian in the game yet. With Rohan being finished in a few days now I think it's safe to say it is on the horizon however, and may as well start building the ground work now given the ridiculous amount of time it takes for a kinship to level up. At any rate, the fact that we're Gondorian will form the backdrop for our roleplay, we won't actually need to roleplay in Gondor. My plan is to get a sizable number of members and then begin a long "epic" quest that takes us from Bree to Helm's Deep. Like the epic quest proper, we'll have a good deal of character development, plot twists and antagonists. I haven't actually worked any of this out yet but then I am a grad student so I'm sure I can bang it out one night at 3 AM. The gist is that we'll have a progressive story that develops independent of our own interactions. Although we can act on the story, the story will develop even if we do nothing sort of as it does in Dungeons & Dragons, therefore I've taken to calling it passive roleplay. Again, the idea being to create an atmosphere rather than create interactions, though player interactions will certainly be a part of it. Does this make me the DM? You might say so, I haven't the faintest idea whether I'll be the writer for this but that's probably what's going to end up happening.

I created the kinship yesterday, 'Garrison of Minas Tirith' (the idea being our endgame is Minas Tirith) and as I said we're up on Laurelin. If you like my idea and want to be a part of it, go ahead and create a character or join with one already existing. The only requirement is that you're of the race of Man, preferably an actual man since women didn't serve in the Gondorian military. Let me know what you think of this idea in the thread.

This sounds like a great idea! Sadly I don't think I will be able to join, but I wish you luck and will help in anyway that I can!

I should add, my character name is Belregond if you need to contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemli View Post
    It came to my attention recently that there are no Gondorian RP kinships on my server, Laurelin.---
    There isn't?
    Curious... I could've sworn I've ran into some over the years... old memory playing tricks on me?

I suspect one of the reasons there hasn't been much Gondorian RP is that there's really nothing Gondorian in the game yet.-
    This is utterly, completely false.
    What's the North-South Road but a Gondorian structure? What of the ruins and stories in Enedwaith, Great River, Rohan?
    What are the shades skulking about the fields of Celebrant? What of Argonath, the Bumbling Fellowship, Minas Rant, the Steed of Minas Ithil?
    Orthanc and Snowbourn and, upcoming, Hornburg and Halifirien?

calm down nerd, I meant that there aren't any Gondorian settlements or outposts with Gondorian NPCs in it. yeah a lot of stuff is "Gondorian" but you know what I mean. there isn't really anything gondorian because you really can't use any of the locations you mentioned as a spot for Gondorian RP in the same way that a Lorien elf can RP in Lothlorien or a man of Rohan can RP in Edoras.

Sounds like a great idea to me. If the times and frequency of playing works out, I'll gladly role up a human from Gondor and work my way back home.

update - although just bring up for 5 days, we already have nearly 20 members. Hopefully we can get another 20 or 40 more before the journey starts - I pegged it as starting two weeks from now.

bump...............

It came to my attention recently that there are no Gondorian RP kinships on my server, Laurelin. I can't speak for Landroval, but on Laurelin I'm going to take this as an opportunity to take the reins and try and create a thriving community of Gondorian roleplayers. Let me lay our my plan and you can tell me whether it's at all compelling.

I'm rather bored with the conventional type of roleplay where you walk up to somebody and spend 15 minutes standing still and exchanging emote text. It can be fun but normally it isn't. I play this game for the story, and that means above all else the atmosphere is important. Therefore, if you can create a good roleplay atmosphere without actually engaging in emote tedium, I think that's a very robust way to roleplay. I'm going to create a kinship that focuses on this passive type of roleplay, and I'll tell you exactly how.

I suspect one of the reasons there hasn't been much Gondorian RP is that there's really nothing Gondorian in the game yet. With Rohan being finished in a few days now I think it's safe to say it is on the horizon however, and may as well start building the ground work now given the ridiculous amount of time it takes for a kinship to level up. At any rate, the fact that we're Gondorian will form the backdrop for our roleplay, we won't actually need to roleplay in Gondor. My plan is to get a sizable number of members and then begin a long "epic" quest that takes us from Bree to Helm's Deep. Like the epic quest proper, we'll have a good deal of character development, plot twists and antagonists. I haven't actually worked any of this out yet but then I am a grad student so I'm sure I can bang it out one night at 3 AM. The gist is that we'll have a progressive story that develops independent of our own interactions. Although we can act on the story, the story will develop even if we do nothing sort of as it does in Dungeons & Dragons, therefore I've taken to calling it passive roleplay. Again, the idea being to create an atmosphere rather than create interactions, though player interactions will certainly be a part of it. Does this make me the DM? You might say so, I haven't the faintest idea whether I'll be the writer for this but that's probably what's going to end up happening.

I created the kinship yesterday, 'Garrison of Minas Tirith' (the idea being our endgame is Minas Tirith) and as I said we're up on Laurelin. If you like my idea and want to be a part of it, go ahead and create a character or join with one already existing. The only requirement is that you're of the race of Man, preferably an actual man since women didn't serve in the Gondorian military. Let me know what you think of this idea in the thread.

I love the idea, for sure. As you can see, I've gone for a Gondorian motif for my Warden. Too bad you guys aren't on Gladden. And yet, maybe I'll roll on Laurelin sometime?
    [center][img]http://s21.postimg.org/fkjfdnggn/Ethelond_Sig.jpg[/img][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionSword View Post
    I love the idea, for sure. As you can see, I've gone for a Gondorian motif for my Warden. Too bad you guys aren't on Gladden. And yet, maybe I'll roll on Laurelin sometime?
    Thanks for replying. I'll take this as an opportunity to update the kin info in this thread.

Rather than waiting for the lifespan to increase on a new kin, I went out and bought a rank ten then renamed it. We are now the Guard of Minas Tirith, a step up from the Garrison I would think. Rank 10 means we have a kin hall, and I just finished decorating it today. Hopefully it will be a site of much RP to come. (also on a side note I renamed my character from Belregond to Steaduil after rereading LOTR and realizing I was one letter off from the character Beregond)

Interior:

Exterior:

What I wanted to stress with the exterior is that we're Gondorian and that we aren't exactly settling roots here. I could have easily put some Arnorian fortress decorations about the yard, but I feel the blue and white tents along with the feasting tables emphasizes that, while not exactly passing through, we're still here temporarily. I thought the Banner of the Free Peoples was a nice touch.

As to the interior, I wanted to illustrate, again, that we're Gondorian and that we're not settling down but rather setting up shop. The map table shows that we're making plans over the lands of Middle-earth, and the numerous bookshelves show that we have need of various lore. The Gondorian candles and tapestry were a must for making it seem distinctly Gondorian, and they look smart to the backdrop of black painted floors and walls. The paintings are also carefully selected: Heraldry, Shore Glimpse, and Above Weathertop, all in some way pertinent to the Gondorian Man. I may add one or two more Gondorian candles, but besides that I think I've arrived at something to conserve. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts, dear reader

Hail dear brothers!

As your brother from Rohan I think this is a fantastic Idea and I wish you nothing but the best of luck in recruiting and engaging fun. I have seen several of your men wandering the fields already and was happy to see it so. Boromir has always been my favorite character in LOTR and am very happy to see his men in the field. Were I not of Rohan and sworn to the king of the golden hill I would join you.

(probably shouldn't after a pitch call the first replier a nerd not exactly friendly is it?)

I have been looking for something like this. Brannonfael is from Gondor and pledges complete allegiance to Gondor. I'm pretty competent with the lore of Tolkien's Universe, but I just started playing LotRo and am still a noob. I would be interested, though, once I get a better feel for the game and have my character leveled to a point where I'm comfortable with him and his backstory.

Hello Captain Belregond!

I see you have a new Gondorian kin! I wish you the best of luck with it. I know its difficult without an actual part of Gondor for the rp too make sense. But looks like we will be given a small area this year. Anyway Iarvund patrols Rohan nowadays, based out of Rammas Echor! (sounds familiar?) Send me a tell if you want to chat.

What times of the day are you usually online? And what times of the day is the kin usually active? I rolled a Guardian and Hunter on this server, and I'm looking to join up with you and your kinship.

The guardian is Ethelond, and the one I'll be on most for the next few days, if you care to add me.
    [center][img]http://s21.postimg.org/fkjfdnggn/Ethelond_Sig.jpg[/img][/center]