We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hunter // Trapper of Foes - Revamp

Hi.

I've being thinking about the uselessness of the third Hunter Stance, which is rarely used (maybe for just a sinlge raid). I never see anyone that is build for the Support Line (Gear, Raid Set & Legacies)

So after some some discussions here in the forum i thought it couldn't hurt to open another thread for it.

So here are my suggestions:

First of all for the nature aspect I really would finally like to see the Hunter being able to call a pet to his side. Not like the LM who can call any type of pet but just a dog or wolf. Like 3 different ones that either:
    • increases your chance to detect creatures in stealth
    • increase your attack range
    • increases the range your tracking skill
    • make the pet work as a tank
    • ... I could go on
    Every Hunter should have a hunting dog with him.

TRAPPER OF FOES

Besides of the CC aspect it now has make it a true Support Trait line to amplify they role a nature-connected class. By the cost of reduced ranged damage it now should do Damage over time (with bleeds) as the main damage so while the DoT are active they have time to do their job as a support class.

The Trapper of Foes (Set)

This trait set enables you to focus on the power of your traps and your crowd control skills as well as use utilities and buffs to support your fellowship at the cost of reduced damage.
    2 Equipped: -50% Trap Skill Inductions, reduce ranged damage, add 2 ticks for DoTs, bleeds/DoT are stackable, access to new skill #1 (see below)

3 Equipped: -30s Trap Skill Cooldowns, increase bleeds damage & duration, reduce ranged damage, access to new skill #2 (see below)

4 Equipped: reduced ranged damage, greatly reduced power cost for non combat/non-damaging skills (buffs), Purge Posion now effects full fellowship with a 10s cool down, Penetrating Shot Debuffs B/P/E for each Trapper of Foes Trait, targets with a bleed have decreased mitigations

5 Equipped: Use of Explosive Arrow, enable skill #3 ("Call Hunters Pet")

Skill Changes in the new stance or/and from traits:

Fleetness: loose chance to shoot while moving and also don't get reduced focus penalty … but instead you are able to use all trap skill while moving (= no induction) and also us Intent Concentration & Strength of the Earth while moving.Low Cut: no slow and bleed but reduced resistance and attack duration
    Rain of Thorns: reduced spike damage but adds bleed
    Rain of Arrows: reduces the mitigations or/and reduced B/P/E
    Distracting Shot & Agile Rejoinder: renews the bleeds on the target
    Beneath Notice: can be used on either you or on one fellowship members
    Hunters Art: no increased Power Regeneration but reduced power cost & CD of traps is removedBlood Arrow: reduced spike damage but adds bleed
    Heartseeker: reduced damage but adds a DoT that does distributed damage to everyone in 10m range for 30 secs every 5 seconds
    Burn Hot: no damage increase for you but the bleed ticks are even higher and the distribution range is increased
    Strength of the Earth and Intent Concentration: give you and one member of your fellowship (the one you have selected) power too --- at 4 traits slotted it additionally gives power to all fellowship members in range but it increases the Hunters power cost 50% for the next 20 seconds.

Most of the yellow traits needs to be adjusted (with the effects from the list above) as well as some legacies.

New Skills:

#1 Single Targets resistance rating increase (when traited it affects the whole group)
    #2 Attack Speed buff for one fellowship member (when traited it affects the whole group)
    #3 Call Hunters Pet

I know this looks like a big nerf but the goal is to not see the Hunter as main DPS anymore while he is in that new revamped stance and treated for it. Of course there is a lot of balancing to be done but i definitely would like to have the opportunity to finally work as a true Support class. And since I'm really starting to get bored to play my Hunter I would love to have a play style alternative - a real alternative.
    Last edited by JanTATW; Apr 06 2012 at 10:37 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000034c84/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Hunter // Trapper of Foes - Revamp

There is a reason why Trapper of Foes is more commonly referred to as Trapper of Fail on the hunter forums.

Rather than the traitline working in such a way as to add supplemental CC while maintaining DPS, the traitline instead forces you to go full CC at a cost of significant DPS. The theory behind it is understandable, however there are other two other classes - burg and LM - who can provide similar and sufficient CC while at the same time providing better overall DPS or debuffs than a CC traited hunter.

Simply put: Trapper of Fail is an OR traitline not an AND traitline and as such, it is seldom used. Hunters either have CC OR DPS, but not both. There is no CC AND DPS. Don't believe me? Go inspect 20 hunters from whatever server you play on. Be honest with yourself. Count the yellow Trapper traits.
    [CENTER][FONT=Garamond][B][COLOR=#424242]« [COLOR=#FF0000]S[/COLOR]eyz [COLOR=#FF0000]V[/COLOR]anguard - R14 »[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042040000000a4551/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

Exactly. And thats why I wrote this suggestions. When you play a LM or Burglar you can essentially choose what play style you want to play. DPS or CC or buff or utility.

But the Hunter only can choose Damage or Damage or Damage. Damage 1 is higher damage, Damage 2 is faster damage and Damage 3 is regular damage with damage from traps and increased roots.

We all (or at least the very most of us) agree that ToF is wasted space for a main build. That why a rebuild is necessary.

So, what are you thoughts to my suggestions?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000034c84/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by JanTATW View Post
    [*]make the pet work as a tank
    pets; no. and it working as a tank, no. It would be useless in raids (pets aggro stuff) only useful in soloing. but you wouldn't need a tank if you're CC'ing properly.

[/INDENT]
    2 Equipped: -50% Trap Skill Inductions, reduce ranged damage, add 2 ticks for DoTs, bleeds/DoT are stackable, access to new skill #1 (see below)

3 Equipped: -30s Trap Skill Cooldowns, increase bleeds damage & duration, reduce ranged damage, access to new skill #2 (see below)

4 Equipped: reduced ranged damage, greatly reduced power cost for non combat/non-damaging skills (buffs), Purge Posion now effects full fellowship with a 10s cool down, Penetrating Shot Debuffs B/P/E for each Trapper of Foes Trait, targets with a bleed have decreased mitigations

[INDENT]
    Too much bonuses. Other traitline bonuses go this format; 2: 1 bonus, 3: 2 bonuses, 4: 3 bonuses, 5: capstone

Fleetness: loose chance to shoot while moving and also don't get reduced focus penalty … but instead you are able to use all trap skill while moving (= no induction) and also us Intent Concentration & Strength of the Earth while moving.
    OP, SotE would just then be a HoT instead of a channeled skill. Intent Concentration, maybe. Moving traps, no; you can't just drop a trap on wherever. besides that would mess up the trap positioning
    Low Cut: no slow and bleed but reduced resistance and attack duration
    No slow, no. Slow is really useful when you're trying to reposition for a mez/fear, etc.
    Why would you want a bleed on something you're trying to root/daze.
    Too OP. You can spam RoA and kill anything (or significantly lower their defences they would be open to a one shot) w/ the reduced mits or B/P/E
    Blood Arrow: reduced spike damage but adds bleed
    Heartseeker: reduced damage but adds a DoT that does distributed damage to everyone in 10m range for 30 secs every 5 seconds
    Burn Hot: no damage increase for you but the bleed ticks are even higher and the distribution range is increased
    Too much bleeds. We're not RKs (at least the fire ones), who rely on bleeds. 1-3 total bleeds is enough. And again, if the hunter is CC traited, why would he want bleeds on targets? -.-
    The idea for Blood arrow bleed is decent, but I'd put it on an induction skill w/ a CD.
    No. What if you're targeting the boss that's targeting tank. And it wouldn't be true to its name.
    [B]Hunters Art: no increased Power Regeneration but reduced power cost & CD of traps is removed
    Ok... but maybe instead of outright reset CD, reduce the CD of traps by, say, 15-20s/per usage.
    Strength of the Earth and Intent Concentration: give you and one member of your fellowship (the one you have selected) power too --- at 4 traits slotted it additionally gives power to all fellowship members in range but it increases the Hunters power cost 50% for the next 20 seconds.
    Ok idea. but then again hunters are not LMs nor we are Captains.

New Skills:

#1 Single Targets resistance rating increase (when traited it affects the whole group)
    #2 Attack Speed buff for one fellowship member (when traited it affects the whole group)
    #3 Call Hunters Pet
    1. Meh 2. Hmm... 3. No

I know this looks like a big nerf but the goal is to not see the Hunter as main DPS anymore while he is in that new revamped stance and treated for it. Of course there is a lot of balancing to be done but i definitely would like to have the opportunity to finally work as a true Support class. And since I'm really starting to get bored to play my Hunter I would love to have a play style alternative - a real alternative.
    You're suggestions for ToF line is still geared towards dps, just a different kind (bleed).

The trapper line is quite good for lvling solo, but when you hit the cap there is no reason to use it on groups.

Traps are not good CC as they are not target and very easy to get trash/patrols on it instead of the mob you wanted...
    The ammount of dps a hunter needs to trade to be viable CC is unbalanced compared to other classes...

IMO, It would be a great change if the crafted traps would become skills (with diferent cooldowns) and therefore affected by the traper line.

BUT for the pet...

NO.

Hunters kill things, they dont domesticate it or train it...
    Last edited by Lobo-br; Apr 06 2012 at 01:14 PM.

and that's why nobody cares to improve a dead traitline..i mean what the ?
    i don't have money, if i do i would give to whoever need them on Brandywine, so STOP hacking me

Mybe the problem is not the Traps. But the Cost of making the Traps? Or the person that useing the traps.

I tend to do the Mid range Fellowship quests with my Hunter and we tend to see LM or Buglers not useing there skills like they should. If I see a mob running to a RK/LM/Mini The frist thing I do is drop a trap in front of them. Or use the Bard arrow to force the Monster to the tank or a direction away from the squishies or into a area that has no monters. Yes it can be done.

I would like the Trapper of foes Revamp but not to the extream where they are LM or Burglers. A few things I would like is be able to Change the tripple trap setup. Something where you can set the trap in line. So if a mob keep going at you. It hit a trap every few seconds after it break free from it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000266693/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][U][COLOR=#0000be]
    [/COLOR][/U]

No pets! You want a pet, go play Wow
    “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” -???

Hi.

I've being thinking about the uselessness of the third Hunter Stance, which is rarely used (maybe for just a sinlge raid). I never see anyone that is build for the Support Line (Gear, Raid Set & Legacies)

So after some some discussions here in the forum i thought it couldn't hurt to open another thread for it.

So here are my suggestions:

First of all for the nature aspect I really would finally like to see the Hunter being able to call a pet to his side. Not like the LM who can call any type of pet but just a dog or wolf. Like 3 different ones that either:
    • increases your chance to detect creatures in stealth
    • increase your attack range
    • increases the range your tracking skill
    • make the pet work as a tank
    • ... I could go on
    Every Hunter should have a hunting dog with him.

TRAPPER OF FOES

Besides of the CC aspect it now has make it a true Support Trait line to amplify they role a nature-connected class. By the cost of reduced ranged damage it now should do Damage over time (with bleeds) as the main damage so while the DoT are active they have time to do their job as a support class.

The Trapper of Foes (Set)

This trait set enables you to focus on the power of your traps and your crowd control skills as well as use utilities and buffs to support your fellowship at the cost of reduced damage.

Fleetness: loose chance to shoot while moving and also don't get reduced focus penalty … but instead you are able to use all trap skill while moving (= no induction) and also us Intent Concentration & Strength of the Earth while moving.Low Cut: no slow and bleed but reduced resistance and attack duration
    Hunters Art: no increased Power Regeneration but reduced power cost & CD of traps is removedBlood Arrow: reduced spike damage but adds bleed

Most of the yellow traits needs to be adjusted (with the effects from the list above) as well as some legacies.

New Skills:

#3 Call Hunters Pet

LOL

I have to say you have pretty much nailed the new Trapper Trait Tree on the head with some of your points. I wonder if the Devs read this :-D