We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thinking of coming back...and I has some questions

Hello all!

Synestr here, thinking of taking on the daunting task of re-entering the fight against Sauron. It has been, a while since I have set foot in middle earth and am at a loss as to where I should pick up. From what I can remember when I left 85 was the lvl cap of my Guard, I was working my burg, 77, and Champ., 63.

I believe I read somewhere that the new cap is 95. So I would get to go that route in terms of xp.

So where to start? Is it worth it to come back? Am I too far behind? What content would I need? I am a premium player and have TP stored up still. Last thing I remember "purchasing" was Rohan and a few quest packs. When I left I had access to pretty much everything up to Rohan.

I was a pretty avid Kin, fellowship, raid participant. PVP wasn't my thing so have no interest there.

Is Riddermark still pretty active? Upon my return I would be looking for a home, hopefully with some old friends if they are still around.

I look forward to your responses.

Syn
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000081709/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

There are lots of Returnees to LotRO, so don't think you're the only one. I'm one myself - although I left for a shorter period of time.

As for where to start... There are two answers to that: Socially and Playing.

Socially I would recommend jumping into the game and see how many old friends remember you. Kinships tend to last although (as you've noticed), players tend to wander in and out of the game. See who is still around. Chat up some new friends as well.

With regards to playing, I would recommend just loading up the game and kill stuff. I wouldn't bother with quests (taking new ones or just completing what you've got) or anything else too specific. First you will want to get a handle on playing your characters again - and that means defeating enemies. There have been lots of changes to LotRO since you left and the game is probably going to play differently then you remember/expect. You could use this time to work on a few Slayer Deeds if you've got any lingering, ignoring if the enemies are gray.

After you've spent a bit of time doing that and feel you can take on more challenging opponents, go and kill a few of them. Keep going up in difficulty, making sure your style of play and the game mechanics are compatible.

Once you're comfortable with the character and combat, go out and thwart Sauron's every move.

One last word of advice: Watch you equipment carefully. Some of the changes made to LotRO have resulted in uneven equipment values. So a 75th level item might be more beneficial than an 85th level item because Turbine might not have scaled everything in a smooth pattern. One of my characters had to ignore 12 levels of equipment to see any real improvement because he had top goods when he left and the re-scaled items were increasing at too low of a rate to make swapping them out worthwhile.

Oh, and take a look at this topic: Returning Player
    Last edited by AccessDenied; May 12 2014 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AccessDenied View Post
    One last word of advice: Watch you equipment carefully. Some of the changes made to LotRO have resulted in uneven equipment values. So a 75th level item might be more beneficial than an 85th level item because Turbine might not have scaled everything in a smooth pattern. One of my characters had to ignore 12 levels of equipment to see any real improvement because he had top goods when he left and the re-scaled items were increasing at too low of a rate to make swapping them out worthwhile.
    As you progress past level 85, the equipment will scale dramatically... The lvl 86 3A weapons were more powerful than an 85 FA for example...

The trait trees will take a while to get used to, and many people are still complaining about them, but I enjoy the challenge of learning something new.

If you're in-game, look up a character who starts with "Eir" and say hi! I'm often online...
    Officer of May it be (Crickhollow). Player of the "Eirgang" - Eirlog (105CH), Eirithnui (105HU), Eirlo (101MI), Eirward (105WD), Eirburg (89BU), EirBuff (101CP), Eirbling (101LM), Eirock (61RK), Eirtank (60GD) & Eirbutt (28BE). Wearer of CakeHats.