We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner

Redo the Thorin's Gate Stairs!

I know this is a small little quirk, but it is so, so, so irritating! Even on ultra high graphic, here are the stairs to Thorin's Hall:

Thorin's Hall is a beautiful place, but before my head explodes, the dwarves need to learn to build stairs!
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

OMG yes. This has been a pet peeve of mine for 6 1/2 years.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

No, it's a relic from the time Shadow of Angmar, let keep it. We have lost the old Bree when they decide to 'modernize' it with laundry and mud!
    [I]"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends"[/I] - [B]Gandalf[/B]

I always thought that this was a bug on my graphics card. Now I see that I am wrong.
    It would be better if they made it a little bit more detailed.
    [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rv9Q24t.jpg[/IMG]
    [b][url='http://ananorielmiddleearth.tumblr.com/']Ananoriel's Middle Earth[/b][/url] - My LOTRO blog on Tumblr.[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by MuseLovertje View Post
    I always thought that this was a bug on my graphics card. Now I see that I am wrong.
    This is what I thought at first as well... Then I got a new computer and saw it again :P
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

This must be PC specific. On my PC there have always been real stairs at Thorin's Hall.

Write a bug report. Attach a screen shot. Provide Turbine your game setting and your PC information.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    This must be PC specific. On my PC there have always been real stairs at Thorin's Hall.

Write a bug report. Attach a screen shot. Provide Turbine your game setting and your PC information.
    Odd, it's been like this on all the computers in my house, and looks like I'm not the only one having this issue, so it can't be just MY PC.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseLovertje View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    No, it's a relic from the time Shadow of Angmar, let keep it. We have lost the old Bree when they decide to 'modernize' it with laundry and mud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    OMG yes. This has been a pet peeve of mine for 6 1/2 years.

I had this bug a few times, but usually it works just fine on my and my girlfriends PCs.

On my laptop, where I turned the details down big time, I see it more often, but also there it's not always like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Odd, it's been like this on all the computers in my house, and looks like I'm not the only one having this issue, so it can't be just MY PC.
    And no one ever said anything like that.

This must be PC specific.
    How does this imply that only your PC is affected?

Obviously you and the other people have the same problem. I don't. Since we both use the same game client, it's PC specific.

In order to fix a bug, it's important to be able to reproduce it. Maybe no PC in the Turbine test environment has this problem?

That's why Yula said:
    They need to find out what this bug depends on and therfore they need as much information as you can possibly give.

Since this is a "graphical detail", the LOD engine might be the source of the problem.
    If you are using NVidia Cards, try to set the negative LOD Bias setting to "allow" instead of "clamp". It's a long shot, but worth a try (even if the driver says it's for texture filtering only).
    Some games use a negative value and for performance reasons the driver sets negative values to 0 by default. It causes some graphical glitches in some games however.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    How does this imply that only your PC is affected?
    PC specific does not mean that one and only PC in the world is affected. What it means is that a subset of all PCs extant in the world can not render those stairs. Maybe it is:
    1) Only PCs with ATI FirePro graphics cards
    2) Only PCs with the GeForce 331.40 driver
    3) Only PCs with WIndows 7 Pro - 64bit version and the GeForce 331.40 driver

When you are dealing with a PC specific issue. The software developers supporting the application have to:
    1) Identify a configuration that demonstrates the problem
    2) Spend dollars and time to set up a PC with this configuration
    3) Verify that this PC does indeed have this problem
    4) Fix it.
    5) Regression test to make sure you did not break the visuals for other PC configurations.

A lot of times it is very difficult to make progress. Management will not approve step 2. There is a significant cost for step 5 because you need to permanently add the PC you built for development to the regression test hardware. At least where I work the regression test package keeps growing in size and cost to run. There is a continuous cost containment program to reduce the number of tests and the amount of hardware used.

In some cases, it is not possible to fix. Fixing it for the configuration that has a problems causes previously working PCs to stop working. Due to defects in the coding of drivers and other vendor parts it can be impossible to determine within the application which configuration you are dealing with. This situation makes it not doable to put Do A if it is a nnn PC otherwise Do B.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    ROFL The Thorins you see isn't Thorins from SoA! It have been revamped at least 4 times.

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

No matter what they do to the stairs, I am sure I will always break some mount or others legs going down them too fast ! So those ARE stairs then? Not a ramp? Who knew
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!

For comparison, here's the OP's picture:

And here's my reasonably close reproduction of it on my system:

The textures on the ramp and the stonework either side of it look noticeably better in mine, but they still don't look good at 1920x1080, and are much worse than other nearby walls and floors. And the ramp is definitely still a ramp. Does it actually look like stairs for some people? If so, pic please.

Quote Originally Posted by Formengil View Post
    ... And the ramp is definitely still a ramp. Does it actually look like stairs for some people? If so, pic please.
    Maybe it wasn't meant to be a stair ever but a ramp. The stairs are a couple meters ahead.

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Since closed beta I have always seen stairs. This is the first time I have heard there is a ramp.

Try buggin it and maybe they will find out what is going on. I have used four different PC since the game started at various levels of graphics sting, ultra high to very low and never seen the stairs look as shown in the op picture.
    I wonder what IS behind that waterfall?
    The Player Council knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxal View Post
    Since closed beta I have always seen stairs. This is the first time I have heard there is a ramp.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Do note that only the very topmost bit just in front of the door is a ramp, there are of course lots of stairs leading up to it. I found a few screenshots of it with Google image search, and they all show it being a textured ramp. If it appears as stairs for you, then your system details will be an important data point in figuring out what is going on, and should thus be included in any bug report.

It was directed at robbie.

I always assumed it was meant to be a ramp, and not stairs, based on the lack of distinct step polygons. Looks like they used the step texture on it though, which certainly can be misleading.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    I always assumed it was meant to be a ramp, and not stairs, based on the lack of distinct step polygons. Looks like they used the step texture on it though, which certainly can be misleading.
    When it's displayed correctly, there ARE steps.
    However, the step geometry is only for visuals, not for collision, meaning that you still walk on ramps, even if you see stairs.

I've always seen the stairs, ever since SoA beta when we first got into the Ered Luin. That's
    over about seven years and at least three different computers.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    I'm still waiting for someone to post a screenshot of the stairs.

Can anyone?

I do agree, These stairs being so early in the game for new plays (If they're dwarves or elvs) gives a bad impression seeing as most of the game is MUCH better!

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post

Can anyone?
    The Original Post has a screenshot of the stairs I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post

Can anyone?
    It's a ramp directly in front of the door:

and stairs farther down:

The ramp has always been a ramp and the stairs have always been stairs since I've been playing.
    Last edited by Zikaris99; Dec 02 2013 at 09:10 PM.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - Thorin Oakenshield in [i]The Hobbit, or There and Back Again[/i] by J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Zikaris99 View Post
    The ramp has always been a ramp and the stairs have always been stairs since I've been playing.
    I've always seen it like that, on three different computers with different OS'es and video cards.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast