We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Many thanks for the reply. I know exactly what you mean about leftover bits screwing things up. It has happened to me in the past. However, the new iMac just arrived last week and had Mavericks pre-installed. It's a lovely machine.

"EntreCheck" is a new one to me. Thanks for that info. I'll take a look at it (maybe for future use )

I found out yesterday, that if i limit the shadows to a minimum and leave the rest of the options in mid-high presets, the game is actually playable also in the new regions. Playing time >1h in the field, travel screens crash only in 1 out of 10. Drawing distances are maxed out. The game looks fine with these presets. It would be better if i could play it with the graphics my machine is capable of, but it's better than not playing.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**
    Hope dies last, but it dies.

Today i had my first crash "out-of-the-blue" outside the new regions, in the dwarven intro play. My hunter had no crash over 4 hours of playing time yesterday. I still don't know what to do after my hunter hits 95, since i hate raiding and similar. Probably i will continue my alts but i find the transition to the new trait system relatively difficult. My hunter feels so overpowered that i didn't have to brainstorm over the trait system. I just hit the red line, chugged some from yellow and blue into it and i'm ready to go. Doesn't feel like a finished character to me and it still beats the game with ease. Maybe i will start over. The part up to Moria (~65) is still the best in the game.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

Quote Originally Posted by padraxus View Post
    Today i had my first crash "out-of-the-blue" outside the new regions, in the dwarven intro play. My hunter had no crash over 4 hours of playing time yesterday.
    I've seen that "out-of-the-blue" crash... standing around in a craft hall waiting for someone to mail me some mats... boom, I get a crash, which "seems" to relate to some timer run-out. I've seen both what looks like a Lua timer and others that might be related to AFK timers.

Needless to say, neither is "repeatable" -- they just occur randomly but not-infrequently.

Last night, I had an interesting one -- I had been running around in West Rohan for about 3 hours, and went down to Snowbourn to the craft hall... stood there for about 2 minutes and "boom". So, go figure.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (106)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (115)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I have to add something interesting to the sudden crashes (=closing of LOTRO app).

These sudden crashes only occur in the regions with the old graphics. Problem is, i have them regularly with my new guardian who won't get to the new graphics (apart from Town of Bree) any time soon. The game now crashes really often (sometimes within a couple of minutes!!) in the old regions than the new ones (over 1 hour playing time). I have played around again with my settings, but that changes nothing. These new crashes are directly linked to the HD expansion. Before that the old regions were stable as hell.

EDIT:
    Did all the starting regions for the various races get also a revamp? I noticed that my frequent crashes only occur in the starting regions. As soon as i switch to a character away from these regions i have no problems as before. I thought that only the Town of Bree got a graphics update, but i think they have changed something in the starting regions as well.
    Last edited by padraxus; Dec 04 2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: New info added
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

Just to follow up on the software Valamar mentioned, it is EtreCheck by EtreSoft found at http://www.etresoft.com/. Useful tool for sure.

Did all the starting regions for the various races get also a revamp? I noticed that my frequent crashes only occur in the starting regions. As soon as i switch to a character away from these regions i have no problems as before. I thought that only the Town of Bree got a graphics update, but i think they have changed something in the starting regions as well.
    The only one we KNOW about is Bree. ScaryCrow was on the forums and discussing the changes he was making. And we know that he did it as a "side project."
    Did other Devs work on other areas? No one knows as no one is discussing it.

Val - Man Minstrel (106)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

I can pinpoint the crashes directly to the starting area. As a human f.e., the crashes only occur around Archet, from Combe on everything is fine. It's kinda weird. Also all sudden crashes were with newly made characters, but also in and after intro play. I will test this with 2 of my older alts on the weekend.
    Hopefully we can make something out of this, since i don't expect anything substantial from Turbine anymore. This hope died with the aftermath of the release of our client.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

For me its already xmas: After month of crashes i play now in HIGH !! with a lovely view and, after switching to default settings and just one UNCHECK: post processing affects.
    Try it and you will see that the crashes are history!
    See you in Rohan, standing around for hours, days and more :-)

late imac 27 inch, mavericks

Quote Originally Posted by Celimat View Post
    UNCHECK: post processing affects.
    Yep, I would have to agree with this advice. I have this unchecked, set an FPS limit to 100, specular lighting off, and App Nap off, providing me with great results.

Unhappy Frustrated Mac User

UNCHECK: post processing affects.
    I'm giving this a shot. If it doesn't work, I'm considering quitting LOTRO until it's resolved. Been in the middle of one too many instances which crashed during pivotal moments. I can't believe Turbine has just let this known major bug exist for over a year.

So frustrated

Turning Post Processing off has worked for me so far as well

2012 iMac with Mavericks.
    Crickhollow
    Lv 100 Loxsley Man Hunter
    Lv 77 Vetyran Man Captain
    Lv 75 Tungsten Dwarf Guardian

Lets see:

1- uncheck Post Processing Effects
    2- uncheck Specular Lighting
    3- set FPS to 100 (Trouble shooting)
    4- set App Nap off
    5- Engine speed = ???

Val - Man Minstrel (106)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

I'm sorry but all what we thought it could be to have a stable game, all the unchecks and other settings, this little workaround: doesnt work.
    Yesterday in 7 hours 11 crashes.
    All crashes by playing Helms-Deep epic book chapters.
    Now back again to very low graphics.
    Disapointed. Please Turbine, help us.

I can pinpoint the crashes directly to the starting area. As a human f.e., the crashes only occur around Archet, from Combe on everything is fine.
    Archet was revamped in Update 9 at the same time as Bree.

Thx for the info. :-)

Yesterday i tried the advice with the post-processing effects and what can i say? The game runs stable as hell, looks great in high settings and all revamped and new regions can be played with decent lag.

For the moment i'm truly satisfied.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Lets see:

1- uncheck Post Processing Effects
    2- uncheck Specular Lighting
    3- set FPS to 100 (Trouble shooting)
    4- set App Nap off
    5- Engine speed = ???
    Tried this last night, as above with engine speed at 100. Played for over 4 hours with two characters and not one incident. For the first time in months. This included a trip to Bree that, whilst short, was long enough and with enough transitions to usually be session ending. No Rohirric content though.

Respect to those who worked through the permutations to get to this work round, if that is indeed what we have.

Next stage I suppose is to file bug reports on this basis to help Turbine track down why these steps make things happy. Lot of us. Filing lots of them.

Using a 15" Mid 2012 MBP, 2.6GHz i7, GT 650M with 1024 MB running 10.9.
    Aure Entuluva!

Yes, things seem to be getting narrowed down. It really has been a pleasure to not be crashing. We have a very similar MacBook, Echadan, so it is comforting to see the community driven "fix" repeatable on another computer. One thing I was searching for in my files, was a local config file that would list all UI preferences so we could start cataloging working configurations, but to no avail. If anyone has run across this, perhaps an XML file, I would love to know where it hides in the mess of LotRO files Turbine and/or Steam has given us.

Mid 2012 MBP, i7 2.7 ghz, 1024 MB nVidia 650M gfx, 8 GB ram, 10.9 OS X

Edit: Oh, it is at ~/Library/Preferences/com.turbine.lotroclient.plist

Happy Questing
    Last edited by StinkyGreene; Dec 11 2013 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    Yes, things seem to be getting narrowed down. It really has been a pleasure to not be crashing. We have a very similar MacBook, Echadan, so it is comforting to see the community driven "fix" repeatable on another computer. One thing I was searching for in my files, was a local config file that would list all UI preferences so we could start cataloging working configurations, but to no avail. If anyone has run across this, perhaps an XML file, I would love to know where it hides in the mess of LotRO files Turbine and/or Steam has given us.

Mid 2012 MBP, i7 2.7 ghz, 1024 MB nVidia 650M gfx, 8 GB ram, 10.9 OS X

Edit: Oh, it is at ~/Library/Preferences/com.turbine.lotroclient.plist

Happy Questing
    Yes. See: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...File_Locations

It's not really a text file, although it is. Apple has done weird things with the plist files over the years. You used to be able to switch back and forth between the two formats easily, and OSX would read/use either format, but not since Lion! Now Plist files must be in "binary format."

To edit the file, you need either TextWrangler from BareBones Software or Xcode from Apple.

Xcode is "cleaner" as TextWrangler includes all of the "overhead" information forcing you to sift through it. However, TextWrangler makes it easier to extract information into a plain-text file.

Val - Man Minstrel (106)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

The game runs stable as hell, looks great in high settings and all revamped and new regions can be played with decent lag.
    I'm not convinced that increasing/decreasing the various graphic settings in the Mac Client
    A) has any effect on Graphics quality.
    B) has any effect on crashing

We know that many of the "sliders" have no effect.

The Mac Client uses OpenGL, and virtually all of those settings are DX defined. My problem is that while I have 30 years experience in Computing, very little of that is with graphics -- being a TCP/IP type.

As I recall, the default settings for the Mac Client are all "High" or "Ultra High".

My experience (without using Bootcamp) is that the Native Mac Client Graphics are superior to those in the Windows environment simply by virtue of the Graphics involved.
    This is clearly the case when using WINE, but then WINE is limited to DX9 support.

Val - Man Minstrel (106)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

Well, the whole situation seems totally randomic to me: people who notice improvements by tweaking game options, people who doesn't (and I'm one of them), people who seem to have stable environments and people who suffer crash frenquecies which really require A LOT of patience to endure them, people who crash in new areas and goes well in older ones and vice versa, there is really not a common thread in all of this.

My experience can be divided in two: pre and post Mavericks, in OSX 10.8 I found a decent compromise setting medium quality graphics, this way I could enjoy some hours of gameplay with very rare crash events, after installing Mavericks the situation became noticeably worse. Now, with the same graphics settings, I have an average of a crash every 1-2 hours, and setting it to low (which is something I find unacceptable, in 2013, for a 2006 game, on a 3000+ eur machine like this) only makes things better a bit, but not that much. I have to say that playing in Low graphics details is quite depressing, in my opinion.

I tried all the tweaking you suggested and the situation doesn't improve nor gets worse, it simply stays there, more or less.

I don't know if I'm an hardcore player or not (nor I care to know) but I spend several hours a day in game and, with my kin, I run lots of group content including T2 raids where a crash of one of the group can lead to a wipe and also for this reason I fell back to Bootcamp to have a stable environment and this is quite depressing as well, almost as much as playing in low level graphic details.

From what I read and I have experienced in the last 10 months, where I've been trying to play on Mac, I came to the conclusion that, for Turbine, the Mac client is a closed chapter, more close to a marketing tool instead of representing a base of players they really care about (or CAN care about...) and for this, I'm sorry.
    ---

"I play LOTRO because it has Tolkien. I don't play games the same way people choose shoes, cars, cloths and their friends-based on looks and instant gratification."

I can't play for more than 3 minutes at a time and haven't been able to since the last big patch before Helm's Deep. I almost didn't bother buying the expansion because I haven't been able to play for months. I was hoping perhaps Mavericks would fix it. Nope. Then maybe HD would fix it. Nope. It's clearly a memory allocation error since the exception is BAD_ALLOC.

Call me FRUSTRATED.

Process: lotroclient [33071]
    Path: /Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online™.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents/MacOS/lotroclient
    Identifier: com.turbine.lotroclient
    Version: 1200.0054.0447.4006 lotro_live (1200.0054.0447.4006 lotro_live)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [204]
    Responsible: lotroclient [33071]
    User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2013-12-12 19:41:49.724 -0700
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9 (13A603)
    Report Version: 11

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
    terminating with uncaught exception of type std::bad_alloc: std::bad_alloc
    abort() called

External Modification Summary:
    Calls made by other processes targeting this process:
    task_for_pid: 2
    thread_create: 0
    thread_set_state: 0
    Calls made by this process:
    task_for_pid: 0
    thread_create: 0
    Calls made by all processes on this machine:
    task_for_pid: 90778
    thread_create: 1

VM Region Summary:
    ReadOnly portion of Libraries: Total=323.0M resident=117.6M(36%) swapped_out_or_unallocated=205 .4M(64%)
    Writable regions: Total=3.0G written=1.8G(62%) resident=2.7G(90%) swapped_out=5740K(0%) unallocated=311.3M(10%)

REGION TYPE VIRTUAL
    =========== =======
    CG backing stores 1332K
    CG image 28K
    CG shared images 212K
    CoreServices 1776K
    IOKit 814.9M
    IOKit (reserved) 4K reserved VM address space (unallocated)
    Kernel Alloc Once 4K
    MALLOC 2.0G
    MALLOC (admin) 48K
    MALLOC_LARGE (reserved) 3648K reserved VM address space (unallocated)
    Memory Tag 242 12K
    Memory Tag 249 156K
    OpenGL GLSL 1280K
    Stack 69.5M
    VM_ALLOCATE 203.9M
    __DATA 40.0M
    __IMAGE 528K
    __IMPORT 8K
    __LINKEDIT 61.9M
    __OBJC 3888K
    __PAGEZERO 4K
    __TEXT 261.2M
    __UNICODE 544K
    mapped file 78.1M
    shared memory 4K
    =========== =======
    TOTAL 3.5G
    TOTAL, minus reserved VM space 3.5G

Model: MacBookPro10,1, BootROM MBP101.00EE.B03, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.3f36
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Built-In, 1024 MB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, PCIe, 1024 MB
    Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D5434314753364D465238432D 50422020
    Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D5434314753364D465238432D 50422020
    AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_a irport_extreme (0x14E4, 0xEF), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.22)
    Bluetooth: Version 4.2.0f6 12982, 3 services, 15 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
    Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
    Serial ATA Device: APPLE SSD SD512E, 500.28 GB
    USB Device: Hub
    USB Device: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
    USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
    USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub
    USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
    Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 23.4
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000003f4e4/01007/signature.png]Felaguin[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by lunettad View Post
    Well, the whole situation seems totally randomic to me
    I can simulate the crashes (sry fpr my bad english but i mean i know now when my mac is gonna crash). After Mavericks and the last Lotro patch we found out, that with some settings the client runs pretty stable even by doing nothing in the old and new areas. I played over hours and days without crashes also with no problems in instances.
    You remember a few posts above from last sunday that i was disappointed because of 11 crashes in 7 hours playing the helms deep epic book chapters.
    Monday till today i played again hours and hours, instance to instance, but without the epic battles...
    Till this morning!
    I crash always after stwitching either INTO an epic battle or LEAVING an epic battle. Especially i get the load screen, get 2 seconds the new area and then - crash.
    Im thinking about making a video. Maybe this weekend. But i must say, the change into/out an epic battles is the only critical moment, the client runs outside Helms Deep pretty stable.
    Maybe more after this weekend.

I crash always after stwitching either INTO an epic battle or LEAVING an epic battle.
    This was a "known issue" at the end of the Beta, which has apparently not been fixed; or at least there has been no mention of it in the release notes.

Wait until 12.1 releases on Monday (16 December) before you make your Video

Val - Man Minstrel (106)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

Impressions after 12.1 release ? For me nothing seems to have improved much so far, first crash after 45 mins (total) of gameplay in Moria/Galtrev area with 2 different toons...graphic settings as suggested above..
    ---

"I play LOTRO because it has Tolkien. I don't play games the same way people choose shoes, cars, cloths and their friends-based on looks and instant gratification."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast