We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    If I recall correctly, in the begining there wasn't a cooldown on them, or if there was, it was for a shorter period of time then they are now, and they could be used more often. There were people everywhere using them repeatedly on the same person over and over again. Then the complaining started, by everyone!

You have to remember, this was 2 years ago when we first saw these emotes, if not longer. People started dreading festivals, due to those prank emotes. Something needed to be done.

It was stupid to add them in the first place, but now that they have a toggle... fine by me. Whether they go both ways or not... *shrug*. I've never used them, and never will. And now that I can avoid having them used on me, I'm satisfied. No need to remove them. After all, some people have spent quite a lot of time getting the deeds.

Way back in 2002, someone on SWG's forums suggested that they add synchronized emotes to the game - the idea was that you could dance, hold hands, kiss another character. Initially, Koster was quite open to the idea, always looking for more ways to engage players socially. But then people started pointing out that players would feel violated if they were grabbed for a dance (or a kiss!) they didn't want, and started demanding 'permission' mechanics for these emotes. Koster looked at that, and quite sensibly killed the idea outright. Too much trouble, too much effort, and probably... too much work for GMs dealing with "harassment" complaints.

Unfortunately, Turbine wasn't so sensible when they came up with these things, so they've had to thrash around trying to get a "fix" people can live with. And not entirely succeeding, even after years.

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by Geldeger View Post
    I haven't run into similar situations and it sounds rather theoretical / unrealistic. It might be a server thing, though. I hear server communities are very different. I'm on Gladden, and so far most people are very mature and relaxed.
    Nothing theoretical about ending up on a /ignore list. I still do that to characters that are sloppy about using area effect forced emotes. Back before the "opt out" was put in, there was also the a possibility that a harassment ticket would be filed as well. Some people *really* disliked forced emotes for a variety of reasons.

PS: I think (hope) you mean well, but come on, hehe. Those last few paragraphs are rather patronizing. And I don't think my ideas were that terrible that I should be told to "reflect upon Sturgeon's Law." It's in poor taste to just imply that someone is saying something silly, and leave it at that.
    I've read a lot of suggestions over the years. While I would be unlikely to state that a particular one was part of Sturgeon's "90%", there is always that risk. As you (hopefully) continue to read and post in the Forums, you will see some ideas come up over and over again, often posted by people who show no evidence of having checked to see if the idea has been discussed before, and what the result of the discussion was. To be fair--to a degree--some of those ideas are meant to push an expansion of some particular aspect of the game and one can understand why they would recur as postings. However, a new poster should not then be surprised if, because of what has gone before, that such an idea is met without much enthusiasm.

Back in the day, it used to be recommended that someone new to a particular usenet newsgroup read the group traffic for a couple of weeks before posting. That pretty much ended when the "Endless September" hit and the idea has been largely forgotten in a world full of all manner of online fora.

I think that there is a place for those consumables and emotes in the game. After all, you can disable them if don't feel comfortable with it. What I find stupid is that those that deactivate the forced emotes in their settings are still allowed to use them on other people. They should not be able to use the emotes and consumables with that option activated (and there are lots like that in the festivals).
    Either you like them or not!

I would think that a fairly simple solution would be to allow the use of emotes on NPCs. That would reduce the amount of emotes aimed at fellow players.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    I would think that a fairly simple solution would be to allow the use of emotes on NPCs. That would reduce the amount of emotes aimed at fellow players.
    So long as it didn't interfere with normal interactions with those same NPCs. having said that, I can't say that I'd object to having forced emote work on the outfit mannequins. *That* might even tempt me to start using forced emotes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2