We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

MAP 'fog of war'

I really liked to uncover maps, not being able to see the map until I actually got there.
    much more exciting.
    I understand you turned that feature off, maybe to make the game more newb-friendy.
    But couldn't you just add an option somewhere to switch it back on again please, so people can choose how they like it themselves?
    thanks.
    Last edited by Kuchenmeisterin; Nov 11 2013 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuchenmeisterin View Post
    I really liked to uncover maps, not being able to see the map until I actually got there.
    much more exciting.
    I understand you turned that feature off, maybe to make the game more newb-friendy.
    But couldn't you just add an option somwhere to switch it back on again please, so people can choose how they like it themselves?
    thanks.
    Yeah, I miss that feature. Loved having Fornost blank on the maps for most of my toons.
    I like ice cream.

I would also love to see it return. It makes me think back of my adventures on my first character which doesn't excist anymore.
    Exploring the Trollshaws on level 20 not knowing where to go, and finally reaching Rivendell.
    Exploring Angmar on level 30 just to explore the map.. great times!
    [center][URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/Glohir/media/99b92620-47a6-43d6-8b52-1ff43a173a35_zpsz90debot.png.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r524/Glohir/99b92620-47a6-43d6-8b52-1ff43a173a35_zpsz90debot.png[/IMG][/URL][/center]

I really miss that feature. I was not happy at all when I logged on one day and discovered the maps were auto filled. I loved exploring and opening up the maps on each character. It was a great RP experience. Yes, I know I'm the same player but each character is different.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

somehow i also like this idea... makes people read the questnotes better i think...
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

Quote Originally Posted by Flixxer View Post
    somehow i also like this idea... makes people read the questnotes better i think...
    I doubt it. The players are going to use the Quest tracker. Look for the rings and colored areas on the map. If the ring in the FOG into the FOG I go. A number of my friends never read any of the quest text. They do not pay any attention to talking NPCs within an instance. It is click click click come on - advance to the next step.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Probably one of the reasons FoW was removed is that, in some areas, it didn't work, or didn't work correctly. It was also kind of silly in a lot of places. Take one step forward and suddenly you can see a whole chunk of formerly concealed map, which is to say that the granularity was far too coarse.

I seriously doubt that Turbine will bring back FoW, if for no other reason than that newer maps were designed without it.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Probably one of the reasons FoW was removed is that, in some areas, it didn't work, or didn't work correctly. It was also kind of silly in a lot of places. Take one step forward and suddenly you can see a whole chunk of formerly concealed map, which is to say that the granularity was far too coarse.

I seriously doubt that Turbine will bring back FoW, if for no other reason than that newer maps were designed without it.
    It doesn't matter if it works 100% logical or not.
    Just have 3-5 areas conceiled and a line to cross to uncover the maps.

I think you are right though, they did not add this feature to new maps, and probably wont do it.
    Although - I doubt it would take longer than 1 afternoon of work for 1 guy to patch it back in,
    and then tell the coder to add a checkbox to the map or options screen [x] enable Map Fog of War.

I know it's just a minor "cosmetic" issue, but I also think many players love the game because of the Lore and Roleplaying,
    and seeing the whole map when you come to a new territory is a bit disappointing,
    I like to discover things!

another thing just came to mind:

they could release the next installments with "blank" maps, and you would either have to fill the map by doing quests or buy pieces of the full map (not from the store, but from ingame vendors for gold or something), or by discovering NPCs who have a good knowledge of the land and can fill in various blank areas of your map, so it gets gradually fuller.

I like exploring and opening up the map too.

If they add it back in though, they should have a few options:

- No Fog of War
    - Character-specific FoW (each character has to discover the areas)
    - Account-wide FoW (open for one character, open for all)
    [CENTER] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/mosby/"][COLOR=cyan]Mosby[/COLOR][/URL], Founder of [URL="http://www.thepalantiri.net"][COLOR=gold]The Palantíri[/COLOR][/URL] kinship (Landroval) - [URL="http://lotro-charts.tumblr.com/"]LotRO Charts Tumblr[/URL] - [URL="https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Translations"]Runes & Translations[/URL]

[COLOR=Silver][I]As glides in seas the shark, Rides Mosby through green dark.[/I] -Melville[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

It was not a good choice to remove it. FoW is a nice feature for people who like to explore.
    Quest text, on the other hand.. much too wordy and unnecessary, they could reduce a lot of that filler.
    Freeps: Venusia (Guardian), Silya (RK), Dwayr (Champion), Nissys (Captain), Filodon (Burgler), Tyveil (Lore-master)
    Creeps: Venusiel (R7 Weaver), Tyveilakh (R5 Warleader)
    [url="http://kingsbeyondthewall.com/"]Kings Beyond the Wall[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Tyveil View Post
    It was not a good choice to remove it. FoW is a nice feature for people who like to explore.
    Quest text, on the other hand.. much too wordy and unnecessary, they could reduce a lot of that filler.
    some players like the Lore and Stories sometimes found in Quest texts. You dont have to read it anyway if you do not.

I hope that, if Turbine ever brings it back, it will be a toggle option. I can't stand it, it ruined many of the little caves/rooms in which it was implemented in. The fact that you had to explore every little part of that area to see the whole map is, in my opinion, pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuchenmeisterin View Post
    It doesn't matter if it works 100% logical or not.
    When I say "didn't work" I mean it really didn't work. Evendim was a particularly bad area. On at least two or three occasions, information on that map was lost. One would log in a character that had fully explored the zone, look at the Evendim map and...nothing. There was also an area in Mirkwood where a map segment wouldn't open correctly.

I suspect that Turbine management told the development supervisors, "If you can't fix the maps for $X, then remove the FoW." Removing the FoW is what was done.

Just have 3-5 areas conceiled and a line to cross to uncover the maps.
    That's what I mean by coarse granularity. Sometimes it didn't work correctly.

I think you are right though, they did not add this feature to new maps, and probably wont do it.
    Although - I doubt it would take longer than 1 afternoon of work for 1 guy to patch it back in,
    and then tell the coder to add a checkbox to the map or options screen [x] enable Map Fog of War.

I know it's just a minor "cosmetic" issue, but I also think many players love the game because of the Lore and Roleplaying,
    and seeing the whole map when you come to a new territory is a bit disappointing,
    I like to discover things!
    You are far more confident than I am of the amount of work it would take to make such a change. Even so, before Turbine would undertake such an effort, they would first have to make FoW work, work correctly, and work all the time.