We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: harder

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    harder

    CAN WE PLEASE HAVE HARDER NPCS!?!?!? its not fun when i can take down 5 npcs my level and used no survival cds. I dont care even if its more morale and damage even though in my opinion that would be a little boring even though it would help. The only time ive had a challenge really is group quests or when the npcs started healing. I think npcs need more like cc and heals and stuff to make fighting seem like its real and not clicking away at like one skill and winning vs Sauramons army! So please harder npcs. and the kill x amount or get x amount of stuff those quests are boring as well we need something new....anyway just a suggestion.
    [IMG]http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz274/williamwegertjr/signigture_zps382aa4d5.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    18,073
    I kinda have to agree with this. I'm a mediocre player and I blast through everything without even trying. My only character that dies is my lore master, and that's from when I stop thinking about what I'm doing because I'm so used to breeezing through everything.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,510
    Difficulty of the game varies with class and player skill. Desire for difficulty varies among players. On the whole, I think you're swimming against the current. The gaming world no longer revolves around "hard core" gamers. If you want greater difficulty, play a squishy class in poor (or no) armor against higher level mobs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,626
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Difficulty of the game varies with class and player skill. Desire for difficulty varies among players. On the whole, I think you're swimming against the current. The gaming world no longer revolves around "hard core" gamers. If you want greater difficulty, play a squishy class in poor (or no) armor against higher level mobs.
    Can I say it now? I haven't said it in weeks.

    One man's "challenge" is another man's "bloody impossible."
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    18,073
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Can I say it now? I haven't said it in weeks.

    One man's "challenge" is another man's "bloody impossible."


    Yes, but I'm one of those mediocre "bloody impossible" guys, and even I think the game has gotten too easy. When a bad player like me says it's too easy, than by George, it's too easy!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England. north-west
    Posts
    2,685
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    "Role Playing Game" does NOT equate to "Lethal FPS/DPS Race".
    I'm sure no one is looking for the age old truly difficult games like battletoads or dr.jekyll and mr.hyde.

    what I'm sure people are asking for is depth. but I'll leave all the game design discussion there.

    when you can run out solo and not need to remove a corruption, move, intterupt, stun, or even care how much you pull, so much depth is lost. already on lotro every single solo fight can be completeled by mashing 1/2 skills at best. in fact, we've seen before a lore-master can auto-attack signitures to death. ignoring the additional discussion points there you've got clear cut evidence the game has little depth.

    and thats ignorring group play which is has as much depth as Mario bros storyline.

    so for a start, what in-combat "depth" does an mmo have?
    - movement
    - skill rotation

    if you EVER don't need to move in a fight, the designers better have a damn good reason why! lotro has sucked royally at making solo content ever need this feature.

    so almost all the in-combat depth for a solo player is in how they use there skills now. like I said before, what solo content can't be completed with just 1/2 skills? seriously, what in RoR can't I complete? I dare you to try and find me something. the fact we're even discussing this shows how sucky the depth is.

    sorry, lotro's demographic is PC gamers. you can expect a PC gamer to be smart enough to buy a PC, able to turn on the PC, download and stay with lotro's many downloads and updates and then carry on playing for months to get up some levels. if at the end game solo content is this easy, why even play. the external reward from grinding (aka, I must grind for hours to unlock a thing, the grind isn't fun but the thing is) is what? something that makes the grind quicker? what an awful model of a game... the story is not that good to be a reward for the mindless grinds of mashing the same skills for months on end.

    the fact you said before "If you want greater difficulty, play a squishy class in poor (or no) armor against higher level mobs." is like pissing on the very little stuff worth doing on this game. why even grind? why even play? thats the whole point of a reward system so you never ask those questions and just keep on playing for that next drip feed to an item/content/fun to make the grind slog worth it.
    [CENTER][URL=http://s739.photobucket.com/user/bubushum/media/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png.html][IMG]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/bubushum/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Yes, but I'm one of those mediocre "bloody impossible" guys, and even I think the game has gotten too easy. When a bad player like me says it's too easy, than by George, it's too easy!
    I wouldn't venture to say whether I'm a bad player or not. I do tend to play squishy
    characters, as LMs and Minstrels. (I like healing.) Add to that, that I play
    either solo or duo -- my kinship, started in SoA open beta, has attenuated over the
    years -- and actions that would be too damn easy for, say, a level-capped Captain and
    his full fellowship of level-capped kinsmen, are still likely to be bloody impossible for me.

    Fortunately, I don't even *try* to attempt those actions. I reluctantly do skirmishes
    from time to time to build up my characters' stupid Soldiers, because at one point or
    another they've got to get through III.1.8. The mere mention of raids reminds me
    of Sir Kenneth Clarke's summing up of the Carolingian age -- "Fighting, fighting, fighting."

    If I can defeat the mobs at hand, without dying TOO often, I'm happy.

    What particular parts of the game do you find too easy?
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Difficulty of the game varies with class and player skill. Desire for difficulty varies among players. On the whole, I think you're swimming against the current. The gaming world no longer revolves around "hard core" gamers. If you want greater difficulty, play a squishy class in poor (or no) armor against higher level mobs.
    Or you can give "Vanguard: Saga of Heroes" a try as that game still caters to players who want a challenge and to earn things rather than have it all given to them on a plate. But be prepared to die....a lot, because it is still aimed at RPG players, rather than the Hello Kitty crowd!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,510
    Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    ...because it is still aimed at RPG players, rather than the Hello Kitty crowd!
    "Role Playing Game" does NOT equate to "Lethal FPS/DPS Race".

    And--oh, yes--way to win friends and influence enemies.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    "Role Playing Game" does NOT equate to "Lethal FPS/DPS Race".

    And--oh, yes--way to win friends and influence enemies.
    Hey, I pointed out that its an option that players looking for a more challenging game might like, but I felt it needed to be said that it is not for casual gamers who want an easy game. I aren't trying to win fiends and influence enemies, just supply information and since on this forum you can make enemies just by posting no matter what you say, why bother to dress things up? The simple fact is that when I want challenging gameplay I go to Vanguard, but when I am tired and want something easy to play with all the challenge of Hello Kitty, I come to LotRO! And I still spend a lot of time on LotRO, because I have loved this game for years, despite all they have done to dumb it down.
    Last edited by podgie_bear; Nov 10 2013 at 05:58 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England. north-west
    Posts
    2,685
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Difficulty of the game varies with class and player skill. Desire for difficulty varies among players. On the whole, I think you're swimming against the current. The gaming world no longer revolves around "hard core" gamers.
    it's called "balancing difficulty" for a reason.

    lotro is to far in the easy side in all catagories. solo content is nice easy, no one minds that really. there should be optional quests or optional enemies or ... (do I really need to list out all the possiblities for challanges where people who don't want they can simple avoid?) ... but group content is ment to be harder, especially T2 and T2cm (which is the whole reason we have a tier system). raid content is ment to be even harder as that demographic like a good in-depth challange, T1 is made for those who don't (which is the whole reason we have a tier system).

    it can't be one or the other. it has to be one or the other, hence the term "balancing difficulty"

    so I'm going to be super serious and blunt here.
    - do you think content is too hard?

    it's a clear yes or no answer.

    I await for you to shoot yourself in the foot or try and ignore the question (probably the latter).

    If you want greater difficulty, play a squishy class in poor (or no) armor against higher level mobs.
    yes, gimp yourself to make the game more balanced. thats what the best games are all about

    this is just proof the game is too easy.
    Last edited by bohbashum; Nov 10 2013 at 04:18 PM.
    [CENTER][URL=http://s739.photobucket.com/user/bubushum/media/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png.html][IMG]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/bubushum/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by stormshadowking View Post
    CAN WE PLEASE HAVE HARDER NPCS!?!?!? its not fun when i can take down 5 npcs my level and used no survival cds. I dont care even if its more morale and damage even though in my opinion that would be a little boring even though it would help. The only time ive had a challenge really is group quests or when the npcs started healing. I think npcs need more like cc and heals and stuff to make fighting seem like its real and not clicking away at like one skill and winning vs Sauramons army! So please harder npcs. and the kill x amount or get x amount of stuff those quests are boring as well we need something new....anyway just a suggestion.
    No, you can't...

    Before this get's into another gear-discussion (and i need to type fast now because i only have seconds availible ...) here is the deal:

    Loads of players (including me) would love the game to become more difficult 'in general'. This will not happen. And imho it is even a good thing it will not happen. I really hate that my champ can autoattack 5 mobs to death in wildermore (yes he can) but making the game more difficult 'in general' is not the solution (imho again of course). There are lots of players i have met in lotro who are wonderfull players and people i am glad i have met ( and had loads of fun with) who don't care about stats, gear, perfect LI's etc. I honestly believe Middle-Earth should be big enough so every player-type, player-skill etc can have the great experience everyone who Loves this game deserves. This WILL mean maximizers (although pretty casual) like me will think every normal quest, book, elite etc is a joke.

    The problem is rather when there ONLY is content made for the players who are more of the explorer/tourist kind of people. Where is the dol-dinen, upper Anuminas or even LG in RoR, Wilder, HD? This bothers me. The story and everything surrounding it should probably be accesible without gear/skills at all, but maybe there should be room for side-areas where you need to gear up and play your class well to be able to survive. It is not about excluding players who don't like a challenge, it is more about including players who like a challenge. (Of course nothing should be gated behind an area like this...)

    The upcomming class-changes might help a bit. It can not be WAI when casuals like me (matter of definition i know...) can solo 3-man instances at level 85. After some preliminary test in the beta it seems way harde to pull stunts like this, let's hope it stays that way. (Although the stat-bloat might proove me wrong)

    Regards
    /T
    Dawarad HNT | Dawadan MIN | Dawfast CMP | Dawaran CPT | Dawmur GRD | Dawared WRD | Dawagrim RK | Dawaras LM | Daweric BRG | Dawagar MIN | Dawarar CMP | Dawnakh WRG | Dawbag BA | Dawgil WVR | Dawglob WL |

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_R View Post
    Where is the dol-dinen, upper Anuminas or even LG in RoR, Wilder, HD?
    I agree. They need to add *some* challenging areas and quests that are fun and rewarding. I have very fond memories of getting trough quests like Death From Below (easy on some classes, very hard on others). LLG was pretty well done. Possible to solo if you really wanted to; but made for small groups. Enough quests and deeds to be fun, but you could skip the whole zone if you wanted to.
    [CENTER] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/mosby/"][COLOR=cyan]Mosby[/COLOR][/URL], Founder of [URL="http://www.thepalantiri.net"][COLOR=gold]The Palantíri[/COLOR][/URL] kinship (Landroval) - [URL="http://lotro-charts.tumblr.com/"]LotRO Charts Tumblr[/URL] - [URL="https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Translations"]Runes & Translations[/URL]

    [COLOR=Silver][I]As glides in seas the shark, Rides Mosby through green dark.[/I] -Melville[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

  14. #14
    As far as mastering the class, that's what pvp and group pve content should be for. It's hard to make everyone happy in solo content. One of the game target groups are Tolkien fans, including people with little to no gaming experience. If someone joins mainly for the game world and wants to explore, and there's a mob every 15 meters that's very tough and has cc, that person isn't going to stay for long. (although I suspect Tolkien himself would quit once he saw that weird LI system)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,100

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by stormshadowking View Post
    CAN WE PLEASE HAVE HARDER NPCS!?!?!? its not fun when i can take down 5 npcs my level and used no survival cds. I dont care even if its more morale and damage even though in my opinion that would be a little boring even though it would help. The only time ive had a challenge really is group quests or when the npcs started healing. I think npcs need more like cc and heals and stuff to make fighting seem like its real and not clicking away at like one skill and winning vs Sauramons army! So please harder npcs. and the kill x amount or get x amount of stuff those quests are boring as well we need something new....anyway just a suggestion.
    I think that they are not talking about friendly NPCs but monsters...
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by stormshadowking View Post
    CAN WE PLEASE HAVE HARDER NPCS!?!?!? its not fun when i can take down 5 npcs my level and used no survival cds. I dont care even if its more morale and damage even though in my opinion that would be a little boring even though it would help. The only time ive had a challenge really is group quests or when the npcs started healing. I think npcs need more like cc and heals and stuff to make fighting seem like its real and not clicking away at like one skill and winning vs Sauramons army! So please harder npcs. and the kill x amount or get x amount of stuff those quests are boring as well we need something new....anyway just a suggestion.
    I've been complaining about this for months, possibly years. So good luck.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload