We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New to role playing and don't know if it's my thing.

Hello!

Now I'm here to ask the question...
    I'm thinking of starting a role playing character BUT...Everyone I see is...well...to be honest makes me NEVER want to RP ever!
    Here is why...

1:They tell me HOW I should RP, and not like "try to stick to lore! you do NOT have a cellphone!" more like
    (RandomGuy)"Your horse...it ATE someone?!"
    (ME)"Haha! nah my horsie is a fine steed! But he shant lay a finger on you or anyone else!"
    (RandomGuy) *sends tell* "say he ate them"
    (RandomGuy) "Your horse...it ATE someone?!"
    It's my horse so I think I have the right to say what he did and what he didn't do...

2: They don't go by lore at ALL...like
    (RandomGuy) "I shall tell you...of the story my...SOUL...was stolen from me..." and then he talks about a LOT of stuff that wouldn't ever happen in middle earth.
    Also keeps talking ON and ON and ON and if I try to say ANYTHING he gets offended that I interrupted him!

I understand they can role play the way they want to with there soul being stolen or whatever but they keep telling ME what I say and do!

I just want to do casual RPing... like yeah I don't mention my Cellphone or 3DS, but someplace that everyone won't report me if I use an emoticon!
    or maybe ONCE or twice if I say " I'll be right back! my cellph-er....*ahem* I have a feeling someone left me a message....under this rock..." they won't freak out and report me!

Are ALL RPers like this? am I a bad RPer or were they just weird peeps?

If you think of me as being to harsh or a jerk say so please so that I may ether work out my problems or know that the few RPers I have met were just the bad apple.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadStar View Post
    Hello!

Now I'm here to ask the question...
    I'm thinking of starting a role playing character BUT...Everyone I see is...well...to be honest makes me NEVER want to RP ever!
    Welcome to RP. I am sorry you had a first poor experience. Let me see if I can be of some assistance.

1:They tell me HOW I should RP, and not like "try to stick to lore! you do NOT have a cellphone!" more like
    (RandomGuy)"Your horse...it ATE someone?!"
    (ME)"Haha! nah my horsie is a fine steed! But he shant lay a finger on you or anyone else!"
    (RandomGuy) *sends tell* "say he ate them"
    (RandomGuy) "Your horse...it ATE someone?!"
    It's my horse so I think I have the right to say what he did and what he didn't do...
    You are in the right here. No one is allowed to tell you what you, or your character's stuff, did or did not do (and you cannot do the same to them, obviously). If someone IMed me that I would tell them 'no'. You are not obligated at all to make your character or anything related to your character go with someone else's story, and vice versa.

2: They don't go by lore at ALL...like
    (RandomGuy) "I shall tell you...of the story my...SOUL...was stolen from me..." and then he talks about a LOT of stuff that wouldn't ever happen in middle earth.
    Also keeps talking ON and ON and ON and if I try to say ANYTHING he gets offended that I interrupted him!
    Another forgetable RPer. There are a few RPers who don't give one flip about the lore, and you do not have to RP with them. If they get offended when you try to emote back, don't bother talking to those people. You should granted let them finish their emote, which may take a few minutes, but they have to give you the same respect.

You do NOT have to RP with anyone you do not want to. It is not against the rules, the CoC, some invisible mantra, anything like that.

I just want to do casual RPing... like yeah I don't mention my Cellphone or 3DS, but someplace that everyone won't report me if I use an emoticon!
    You won't get reported, at least not on Landroval, but some heavier RPers (especially those who are interested in lore) may ignore someone who is doing emoticons in /say since they just take it that they are being OOC, which is fine, but not in their current interest. I would not acknowledge an emoticon in RP. I will happily acknowledge a /e smiles or even a /say *smiles*.

or maybe ONCE or twice if I say " I'll be right back! my cellph-er....*ahem* I have a feeling someone left me a message....under this rock..." they won't freak out and report me!
    Depends on the server or the person you're rping with. Some take it more seriously than others. Joking aboout modern day technology tends to be amongst light RP where lore is not taken into as much consideration. In heavy RP such things are usually discarded as completely OOC and usually ignored.

Are ALL RPers like this? am I a bad RPer or were they just weird peeps?

If you think of me as being to harsh or a jerk say so please so that I may ether work out my problems or know that the few RPers I have met were just the bad apple.

No, not all RPers are like this. No, you're not a bad RPer, but as you said, you're new to it and it does seem clear you are new-- which is fine, we all started somewhere

What you want to find is your niche. You *usually* cannot have a deep, lore appropriate, intense conversation in the same conversation you mention a cell phone. However, if you're at a concert where the band is advertising their 'moving pictures' page with a YouTube link, such 4th wall breaches are much more acceptable and indeed happen all the time. As a heavy RPer who sometimes attends concerts I just consider those 4th wall breeches ooc and leave it out of what my character hears-- and no, I don't report anyone for it

Finding what tone the person you're RPing with is looking for is important in finding someone you'll enjoy RPing with, and who will more likely enjoy RPing with you. Some are here for Tolkien and try to remain within Tolkien's bounds all the time with no 4th wall breaks. Others are still heavy but cleverly interlace some pop culture references in the RP that IC you would not notice but OOC you notice. Others outright 4th wall break with clear modern day references, or references from different, completely unrelated IPs. (intellectual properties, like.. Pokemon).

If you're on Landroval, feel free to contact me on one of my toons listed below if you have further questions.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Thanks for the advice! I'm totally new to role playing as I had said so any advice is good for me xD
    I use Emoticons like ;D :3 >:U and all those as ways of showing what expression my character is doing! much easier then typing /mood_smile or something...and if you want your character to have a naughty but doofy look on there face a :3 is perfect...but idk if these are frowned apoun or not...What'd you say about those? fine or bad manors?

P.S. I also don't want to ruin others RPing if these aren't acceptable

Quote Originally Posted by ReadStar View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I'm totally new to role playing as I had said so any advice is good for me xD
    I use Emoticons like ;D :3 >:U and all those as ways of showing what expression my character is doing! much easier then typing /mood_smile or something...and if you want your character to have a naughty but doofy look on there face a :3 is perfect...but idk if these are frowned apoun or not...What'd you say about those? fine or bad manors?

P.S. I also don't want to ruin others RPing if these aren't acceptable
    While doing ;D may be easier, role-playing in a MMO is mostly an exercise of writing, collaborative writing with other people to be precise. I would recommend, instead of :3 (one of my favorite emoticons in chat, heh), to instead type out /e bursts into a goofy, mischievous grin or /e winks and smiles crookedly, holding in a laugh. It's a lot more interesting for the other player to imagine an expression from a sentence like that. I would definitely encourage writing out expressions, and the expression need not be long, a short sentence or two suffices in most scenarios.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    While doing ;D may be easier.. I would recommend, instead of :3 (one of my favorite emoticons in chat, heh), to instead type out /e bursts into a goofy, mischievous grin or /e winks and smiles crookedly, holding in a laugh. It's a lot more interesting for the other player to imagine an expression from a sentence like that. I would definitely encourage writing out expressions, and the expression need not be long, a short sentence or two suffices in most scenarios.
    I was recently surprised to learn that in some circles it is sometimes considered more generous or appropriate even to just SAY something than using the /e feature (for example: "The melody is wonderful!" vs. "/e exclaims, "The music is wonderful!"). I can understand the importance of this distinction on a larger server, or during an event or festival. There may be so many people typing and the words scrolling so fast that it becomes necessary to see a character's name before the text, in order to not miss it or be able to respond. In such cases, the additional use of emotes (not emoticons) may be fun or helpful.

As for emoticons, much like going in and out of character with what is being typed or said, they seem to be considered a noobish or annoying thing to seasoned role-players. Why? Probably because it takes them 'out of character' and forces them to separate themselves from their character, albeit intermittently.

In my six years of roleplaying on Landroval . . . nobody has ever sent me a "tell" telling me how to run my character. And I can count the number of characters with strange and exotic stories far outside of Middle Earth on one hand.

As for lore, I find that to be a matter of taste. I play hobbits - far outside the Shire in most cases. That violates lore. I see few people so concerned with lore that they are willing to spend four days (or even 12 real hours, which is the time it takes on the server to go through four day cycles) travelling from Hobbiton to Bree and the like. Attention to lore is not binary "yes/no" but a matter of degree.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    Attention to lore is not binary "yes/no" but a matter of degree.
    This makes sense.
    Last edited by Breeon; Nov 23 2013 at 12:56 AM.