We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Criticism: Not Necessarily a Bad Thing

Criticism. This is something that a lot of people dislike or even hate: they see it as a bad thing. To many, it means that someone thinks that: 1.) You did a bad job or 2.) someone is just panning your work or the type of job you did. Questioning your work ethic. However, I believe that this is wrong. Criticism is actually a good thing. I'm posting about this because I myself have had a new revelation about it, and I have noticed an abundance of problems concerning criticism in our world today.

A lot of criticism comes from people who want to see you succeed. They don't want to or mean to tear down your confidence: they are pointing out errors in hopes that you can fix on them, or pointing out other issues in hopes that you can improve upon them. Others criticize to help you avoid making the same mistake again, hoping that you will remember their words before you do whatever it is you were doing. Others do it because they care, whether it be about you, something you are managing or leading (like a country, for example, or a store), or heck, even a game.

Some criticism comes across as mean-spirited and hateful words. However, I think in many cases this is just a result of a person either not knowing how to phrase their criticism, or simply refusing to sugar coat it, only wanting to tell it how it is.

The hardest part of taking criticism is learning to get rid of your pride and accept it !

Now don't mistake me, some criticism is meant to tear down. I am of the belief that many (maybe even most) critics do what they do to help improve something, rather than tear it down.

I hope that this WoT has made some sense to somebody, and that it has helped you see criticism in a different light. If it doesn't make sense, feel free to lol at me in the comments :P.
    I've been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Selebrimbor View Post
    Criticism. This is something that a lot of people dislike or even hate: they see it as a bad thing. To many, it means that someone thinks that: 1.) You did a bad job or 2.) someone is just panning your work or the type of job you did. Questioning your work ethic. However, I believe that this is wrong. Criticism is actually a good thing. I'm posting about this because I myself have had a new revelation about it, and I have noticed an abundance of problems concerning criticism in our world today.

A lot of criticism comes from people who want to see you succeed. They don't want to or mean to tear down your confidence: they are pointing out errors in hopes that you can fix on them, or pointing out other issues in hopes that you can improve upon them. Others criticize to help you avoid making the same mistake again, hoping that you will remember their words before you do whatever it is you were doing. Others do it because they care, whether it be about you, something you are managing or leading (like a country, for example, or a store), or heck, even a game.

Some criticism comes across as mean-spirited and hateful words. However, I think in many cases this is just a result of a person either not knowing how to phrase their criticism, or simply refusing to sugar coat it, only wanting to tell it how it is.

The hardest part of taking criticism is learning to get rid of your pride and accept it !

Now don't mistake me, some criticism is meant to tear down. I am of the belief that many (maybe even most) critics do what they do to help improve something, rather than tear it down.

I hope that this WoT has made some sense to somebody, and that it has helped you see criticism in a different light. If it doesn't make sense, feel free to lol at me in the comments :P.

Criticism seems to be (for the average person/situation {on a conscious level}) a simple act of one person thinking that they know better than another person about a particular situation. The ego structure and its reasoning behind each individual criticism, is open for speculation and analysis.

The hardest part of giving worthwhile criticism may be letting go of one’s ego and pride and accepting that they may be uninformed and/or inadequate in their ability to give worthwhile criticism in a given situation. Of course if a person is only interested in giving criticism and not in giving worthwhile criticism, then they might not have this (hardest part) problem.