We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Huge treasure chest only giving tokens, drop rate?

I've got about 8 huge digs so far and they've only given me tokens or maybe extra pickaxe, whats the drop rate on horses? It's starting to be annoying.

AshBrockDawn | Rockmor | Moriak | Thamor | Ranak
    Server: Eldar

I got one horse out of four huge dig sites. Your mileage will vary.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rockmor View Post
    I've got about 8 huge digs so far and they've only given me tokens or maybe extra pickaxe, whats the drop rate on horses? It's starting to be annoying.
    I can't give you a real number but from my experience with the last event i would guess at about 10 -15% or so. Too small sample size though.
    Nothing here matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I got one horse out of four huge dig sites. Your mileage will vary.
    Wow, the luck of some people!

Rockmor, I've had about twelve huge and none had an item. All items have come from large chests and they were the silly masks, backpacks, furniture and other fluff.

The real let down is that unless you're loaded up on cave claws and axes, doing it during quiet hours is tedious. Especially since people intentionally hold onto huge chests before opening them.

I've found between 25 and 30 huge digs. From that I got 2 goats. I want the pony badly as I really like the look of it. I do like the goat also. To try for the pony, though, with my luck it will take at least 30 more huge sites.

I got the goat 2 times in a row... arrrrrrgh

My small sample: 21 boxes - 2 goats , 2 steeds and 1 cave claw steed.
    [COLOR=#ffd700]I'm a Banana[/COLOR]

I got one horse and one goat in the 9 Huge I've found with one character yesterday. Another character had to find over 60 to get his last time :P
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

I have just over 30 with 3 goats. Will try a little tomorrow morning but i can see opening 100 and not getting the horse.

Anyone have any tips for getting the huge dig sites, or is it really random?

AshBrockDawn | Rockmor | Moriak | Thamor | Ranak
    Server: Eldar

It's really random. Your best bet is using your tokens to buy tons of cave-claws. They go for the largest dig spot within their radius, AFAIK. And then don't dig unless it's Large or Huge, to avoid wasting picks and needing to spend TP on new ones.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Yesterday, I opened about two dozen huge caches in 4 hours of playing. One contained a Treasure Laden Goat and one Contained a Treasure Laden Horse. Unfortunately, that character already had a Treasure Laden Horse and 4 Treasure Laden Goats, so it was all for naught. Having participated in almost every Treasure Hunt, I agree with the 10% figure stated above. Of course, once you roll successfully to get a steed, you must roll again to get the one you want, so your odds of getting a particular steed are 1/10 x 1/3 or about 1/30 (1 in 30). It requires lots and lots of time and patience unless you get very lucky.

Good luck to you all and always remember, the other people looking for berries are just as frustrated as you. Be kind to one another.

Finding HUGE digging site should yield something REALLY SPECIAL.
    16 tokens from Huge chest is very dissapointing.
    The first time i did treasure hunt i got several mounts, 3 different mounts on one character, 2 different mounts on the 2nd character, and one mount on the 3rd (that does not include doubles and triples which i had to discard, since they were unique at that time, and could not be put to shared storage).

This year, using over 200 treasure picks, found only 5 Huge sites, and every single one of them had 16 tokens in it.
    Just suggesting to make this rare find something really special... and not just 16 tokens worth dissapointment

Check your mounts. Seriously, till I checked the mounts on one of my characters I didn't know she had gotten the goat and horse already. I thought all I was getting from the huge chests was tokens.

Found one huge digsite in 4 rounds this event and got the goat. It's just luck.
    [B][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000e0d13/signature.png]fearthereaver[/charsig][/B]

It's really busy this morning. I am having a time just collecting berries this morning. Didn't have that with the other days. Thought this morning would be somewhat quiet but apparently not.

Oh i am up to 2 goats, 2 laden & 1 cave claw. 2 duplicates.

In front of puter. Thanks, online games. :P
    I've got about the same number of huge digs...no ponies or goats. Nothing but tokens/cave claws/pickaxes.

o well, i'm now only 50 tokens away from the brew goat after working on it all weekend!!!
    Crickhollow---Citridyla, Ythrondis, and Hraf. Meneldor--Dockerson, Kariadriel and Thasgar. Gladden--Gamoskorin, Henessy, and Lanthreldras. Firefoot--Amberson and Liedvar. Brandywine--Audny, Egilwine, and Gardihauk. I'm an altoholic, pie-eating fool! :)

Well I did good on this event. I seemed to get a huge chest at 1 in 4 rounds. Not at all bad. I think in total it was about 44-46 huge chests. One of my characters got the goat and horse; wish I could give one to another character. So all the rest of the huge chests were tokens only. I sold or tossed all the rest of the prizes so I don't have a count of what.

The nice thing is the round ends when the Huge is uncovered. Little chance to find a looted Huge site.

Bad news is, for all the rest, someone could have looted a large, medium or small site before your cave claw or dousing gem registers it as dig-worthy.

Best to wait for the start of a round, in an area with several spots nearby (also keeping an eye on competitors). Let your claw go before anyone else has a chance to dig.

I usually go out with 4-6 picks, 2-3 claws, 5-6 dousing gems. Be wary if the round goes long. That means the huge is still out there and likely in an out of the way spot (where you would not release a claw). Late in a round, search for the huge with your gems in those locations. Also late in the round, those Large and Medium sites may only render ONE coin since someone has looted the chest already.

I think once someone loots the chest, that spot should revert to weak reading.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

In front of puter. Thanks, online games. :P
    ok, just got the Treasure Laden Pony on my boy-hobbit burg after another 5 or 6 huge digs!!!

UPDATE/EDIT: I just got the treasure laden goat too on the same character not a half an hour later! Sapience must be reading these posts.....
    Last edited by CookieArtisan; Nov 11 2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Crickhollow---Citridyla, Ythrondis, and Hraf. Meneldor--Dockerson, Kariadriel and Thasgar. Gladden--Gamoskorin, Henessy, and Lanthreldras. Firefoot--Amberson and Liedvar. Brandywine--Audny, Egilwine, and Gardihauk. I'm an altoholic, pie-eating fool! :)

Treasure hunts in the past have been fun and awarded decent prizes. This one was a useless, boring time suck. I had a new toon and decided to only focus on it and the toon with the most tokens already saved and all my new toon got was emotes and treasure hunting supplies at a VERY low drop rate. My main got nothing but supplies and either the useless pouches or bags. Not a single mount after hours of time wasted. The best part is a friend of mine got a goat on a medium dig and we all got a high rate of 3 token drops in huge and large digs. The three token digs were often not with anything else, just the tokens. Several other people texted over the weekend that they had gotten better prizes off of medium digs than huge and that really ticks me off, because if I get a medium or lower off of a cave claw usage, I never take it.

Basically, if whoever messed with the drop rate for this treasure hunt was looking to make it a boring waste of time, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! For our group of players, the drop rates were abysmal and there was NO variety between what each toon got. Whatever one got the first day for prizes, they got it the whole weekend. So I have 5 useless emotes in my vault and 5 bags on my main, while my new toon got no mounts at all. I am actually shocked my main didn't re-win any mounts, because typically, that is what happens in the treasure hunts. Several of my toons will win the same mount over and over. In spite of not winning any mounts at all, I am still extremely tired of the "Bound" to player mounts in the treasure hunts and gift boxes instead of making it "Bound to Account", so we don't waste time we could actually be playing the game, by uselessly repeated mundane processes over and over, because of someone's sick idea of what it means to win in LOTRO. Whoever is behind this decision needs to remove their head from their rectum and make prizes we win "Account Bound" across the board and stop torturing people by making them repeat mindless jobs over and over. I and many others have done our time on assembly lines, so we don't find something so akin to our jobs, to be fun in any way, shape or form...

Between the useless waste of time this treasure hunt was and the disappointing last two festivals, it's obvious this part of LOTRO needs a shot in the arm or it needs to be put out of it's and our misery. Where was the new council at on this one? Shouldn't they have been involved in sprucing things up? Had I not recently purchased and been really happy with Helm's Deep and the Journeyman Riding pack, this hot mess of lackluster festivals and the treasure hunt may have well pushed me to leave LOTRO for a bit. Bounders tokens and the Hobbit presents have been the only two really good ideas for putting a smile on my face for quite a while, other than the aforementioned purchases. We need more thinking like that, to keep people coming back and to help make things interesting again...

I got one pony after 10 huge chests. From what others are saying I'm very lucky. I have to admit though that I'm relived its over. Shouldn't feel that way about a special event. For me it was the 1000 tokens for the goat, but at least you can get that in enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I got one pony after 10 huge chests. From what others are saying I'm very lucky. I have to admit though that I'm relived its over. Shouldn't feel that way about a special event. For me it was the 1000 tokens for the goat, but at least you can get that in enough time.
    The Treasure Hunt is still running
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb