We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

crafting = bannable offense?!?!

come on, for real? I couldn't believe what I was hearing in vent when I popped in. That is the most ridiculous thing I ever did hear: someone getting banned for crafting.

I think you're neglecting to tell us the full story. Were they doing automated crafting, where a bot was doing it all for them?
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

I got someone banned a while back, cause crafting, the dude looted the crop that i planted (that was before crop farming got fixed) & when i addressed him he told me some swear words i can't type here. So yah, you can get banned while crafting if you break the rules.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

No he was simply crafting on an alt to level it up. He was alt-tabbed quite a bit and just crafting the highest tier mats. No bots involved. The person who presumably reported him no longer exists anymore. And this person has never been banned since the 5-6 years he been playing.

I don't know ANYONE who crafts in bulk that stays tabbed into lotro the entire time. There isn't anything to do in game when you have to stay stationary and it takes 15+ minutes of watching a toon craft:S

If that's what happened, it's a bum deal. I often craft on my cook in a separate window. I'll prep 500 or so of whatever I'm cooking, hit go and then find something else to do for a while. How on earth can it be a breach of the rules to use an in-game tool like the crafting window?
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

If it was completely legit crafting, all he has to do is contact Support and he'll get unbanned.
    If it wasn't...

I reported someone planting/harvesting on auto just the other day. Took them ten minutes to react after I parked in front of the bot (this apparently disabled the harvest click). The character was naked level 67 or so.

It's almost never the case that someone who gets banned will tell the full story of what they were doing and will almost always twist it to how it was so unjust.

After all, they want to get unbanned so they are not going to admit any wrong doing. They will also be very upset about the ban and want to make Turbine look as bad as possible.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    It's almost never the case that someone who gets banned will tell the full story of what they were doing and will almost always twist it to how it was so unjust.

After all, they want to get unbanned so they are not going to admit any wrong doing. They will also be very upset about the ban and want to make Turbine look as bad as possible.
    I typically agree with this. However, this person did appeal it and got some compensation for the unjust ban. I hope the way this situation was handled is not how Turbine plans to handle Moors & rank-farmers. Compensation is great but I'd rather not have those types of bans happen in the first place. Things need to be thoroughly looked at before taking things at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyloo22546 View Post
    However, this person did appeal it and got some compensation for the unjust ban.
    I feel your friend is still giving you misinformation.

Bans are absolute. There is no "grey area" where Turbine will give *compensation* for a ban.

They will ban an account, if then it's proved to be wrong they will unban it, there is nothing between the two.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Does anyone know how to disable the naming feature on crafting crits?

I'm having a devil of a time crafting woodworker items in bulk because the game keeps on prompting me to name an item when it crits and then I have to come back and restart the crafting. Does anyone know if there an option somewhere to turn off the naming feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Pongyola View Post
    I'm having a devil of a time crafting woodworker items in bulk because the game keeps on prompting me to name an item when it crits and then I have to come back and restart the crafting. Does anyone know if there an option somewhere to turn off the naming feature?
    Sadly there isn't.

You could equip a common tool to drop your crit chance to 5%.

Or, you could switch to crafting consumables (ie. Captain's Crests and Rune-Keeper's Parchments).
    Sure, they don't give as much crafting exp, but you won't be stopped to name a crit.

Heh, and ten minutes might not be enough time for a mom to settle down an upset baby.

Most I know set up crafting then go make a sandwich, and eat it, and bio, and smoke, then come back to see if they are still logged in (typically not, as more than a half hour has passed).

Or for that matter, the couples, when one logs off to go to bed, the other ends up AFK due to time, and never makes it back to the keyboard for obvious reasons. ;-)

Obviously botting is detrimental, but I don't know anyone who gears up a crafting alt.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaj27 View Post
    You know, parking in front of a bot for 10 minutes is really a waste of your time. So instead of being such a little snitch, what could you have done in those wasted minutes, hmm?
    He could have taken a 10 minute break from the game, which is something you may also consider doing occasionally if something like this gets your blood boiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    I reported someone planting/harvesting on auto just the other day. Took them ten minutes to react after I parked in front of the bot (this apparently disabled the harvest click). The character was naked level 67 or so.
    Why would you do that much less tell other people? Who cares and anyway how did it effect you?

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Heh, and ten minutes might not be enough time for a mom to settle down an upset baby.

Most I know set up crafting then go make a sandwich, and eat it, and bio, and smoke, then come back to see if they are still logged in (typically not, as more than a half hour has passed).

Or for that matter, the couples, when one logs off to go to bed, the other ends up AFK due to time, and never makes it back to the keyboard for obvious reasons. ;-)

Obviously botting is detrimental, but I don't know anyone who gears up a crafting alt.
    It was just a botter, harvesting away from keyboard. It told me it doesn't normally cheat but that particular class is hard to level up so it said it levels this way.

You are aware how farming works? You plant crops and then you harvest, the first action demands that you are at the keyboard for a second, then the planting happens. The second action demands that you are at the keyboard every click. If you are not at the keyboard for the harvesting, then it is a bot. Unfair advantage. With Emarald Shards running at 100g per pop right now - and back when this happened it was just crests at 15g per - that's great incentive to run a bot, no?

What do I care if a botter gets banned? It is just yet another cheater in a game.

Farming works like this in LOTRO: you plant fields for craft xp away from keyboard. You can also plant fields for regular xp, away from keyboard. Endlessly, until the equipped tool breaks. That is not unfair advantage, however strange. In other words, for about a gold per hour and 30-odd minutes away from keyboard (well 15 not to get logged out) you can level up character and craft forever. If peope want the produce, they are heartfelt welcome to sit at the computer while harvesting. It needs a DEL and a U per field, not a huge effort to potentially get an emerald shard with current value 100g on BW server.

EDIT The botter was planting 1 field, then harvesting. I sent a /tell with a hoTT tip how to make the farming more efficient. Then some time passed and I poked them again and again. Now I still assume they're in kin chat or similar --- but they are standing right on top of the expert farm npc so they're hard to ignore. When I go to repair, their bot stops harvesting but it's still planting every couple of seconds. Here's where I report the bot and continue on my game. In report I said that strangely, the character had its action disabled when I stood in front of it, so I opted to remain 10 min in that spot to prove my point in case ticket had a response.
    I went to make some coffee. I got back. The botter then responded. According to chat log time stamp it was 1 hour 30 minutes from first /tell and about 10 minutes after the harvest was disabled.
    Last edited by Macroscian; Nov 30 2013 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post

However, the system does not always work perfectly, even if people monitor situations before banning, but especially if it's an automated system. In fact, if I may be so bold as to paraphrase...

"Many that play deserve bans. And some that are banned deserve to play. Can you give their account back to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out bans in judgment."

If it is a legitimate situation, contact support and the ban should be reviewed and reversed, provided there was indeed nothing suspicious.

That said.... those of you mentioning about going in excess of 15 minutes end up running into the "idle timer". There is no way to circumvent that other than by making sure the game knows you are still present. If you set up anything to automate this - to make the game seem active even if it isn't your open window - it IS botting. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Alt-tab back to LotRO, open a panel, then alt-tab back. Then come back later and close the panel. THESE are legitimate ways to do it. Or do what I do - grab a book or a handheld game and pay attention to that, while still able to keep an eye on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pongyola View Post
    Congratulations! There is a new alternative! Processing recipes. (Unless you are a scholar or cook.) Turn a few stacks of refined materials into junk. Then turn those stacks of junk into half as many refined material. Rinse and repeat.

To the people defending that farming botter - no. There is no excuse for botting, at all. As the last post said, the things gained from high-end crafting can be turned into lots and lots of gold, such quantities as would play havoc with player economy (AH prices, for example). Yeah, Farming is a pain. You gotta plant, then you gotta harvest. Plant, then harvest. No way to AFK it, even for a single minute. But that is STILL no excuse for breaking the terms of the EULA and running a bot.

I will defend the rights of people who are legitimately playing who were suspended in error, but I will never defend the ones actually botting. The botter isn't even playing the game, which kind of goes against ALL common sense. "But craft leveling is boring!" Do it in short spurts, tough it out the normal way, or ignore crafting. Anything from it worth getting, you can get off the AH from the people who do craft. You are NOT forced to craft. I actually know a player who is willfully avoiding the crafting aspect of the game precisely because it bores him to tears.
    (I should probably change this to a real sig now, but I'm busy playing LotRO.)