We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Trick or treat?

Trick or treat?

On two of my characters I spent their remaining Harvestfest tokens on consumables, bartering for 300 Spider Legs which is enough to finish the deed. I have found that one or two players object to having the "trick" on them (e.g. saying "don't do that"). As there is an option to disable involuntary emotes (which includes all the effects of these consumables as far as I know), please may I ask for opinions on whether or not it is fair and acceptable gameplay to use a consumable on another player without requesting permission? I really do not want to risk upsetting other players out of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Flooz View Post
    As there is an option to disable involuntary emotes ...
    If that option works for those items you have. Then I'd say it's safe to use them. If it really bothers the target, then they should turn on that option, and to be honest I'd think it's already on. If they don't know about it, inform them.

But if they don't... Well then maybe asking first is the best option. You at least won't have to worry about upsetting anyone that way.

Doing something to other player, its always better to ask first. That was the initial problem with FE. People didnt bother to ask, and didnt take 'no' for an answer. Turbine initially said ther is no problem, but the complains kept up every festival, until the switch was finally implemented. It worked best with AoE emotes. These slapped down asked around, why they went down, and some others standing same place did not. Had to explain about the switch a few times. Personally i had FE allowed while in festival, and forbidden while in gereral game/RPing/questing etc.

Of course, with the switch now awailable for some time, most of people who dont like FE, have already turned it off. So - take your pick. Be responsible and ask first, or just toss FE around and risk ending in some Ingnore lists.
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

As someone who never liked forced emotes (including the "tricks" used for the deeds), I don't see why anyone would object since the advent of the option to disable forced emotes. I have set all my characters' UIs to not allow forced emotes. I do see a great number of "Immune" messages fly over my head whenever I am near the Party Tree. But I certainly do not expect those trying to complete the deeds to ask my permission before attempting their trick. In my opinion, Turbine shifted responsibility for any social awkwardness onto those of us who do not want to be victims of forced emotes when they added the immunity option.

We asked for a way to opt out ... Turbine gave it to us ... as far as I'm concerned, feel free to spam your tricks and FEs without asking permission.

On two of my characters I spent their remaining Harvestfest tokens on consumables, bartering for 300 Spider Legs which is enough to finish the deed. I have found that one or two players object to having the "trick" on them (e.g. saying "don't do that"). As there is an option to disable involuntary emotes (which includes all the effects of these consumables as far as I know), please may I ask for opinions on whether or not it is fair and acceptable gameplay to use a consumable on another player without requesting permission? I really do not want to risk upsetting other players out of ignorance.
    That is why we have the option. It would almost be safe to assume if it works on them it's ok. I mean we have it because most people wouldn't ask and turned you in to a target it you asked them to stop; not every one just enough to really make it irritating.

If some on objects, be polite, and tell them about the option to turn it off. personally I give the "immune" popup a bit of a snicked.

Seriously if your immune to force festival emotes, you should be blocked for using them as well. Total game fail for them to have it both ways

I was a vocal opponent of forced emotes because of how they violate RP standards - you shouldn't be able to affect someone else's character without their permission. And for the fact that they were interrupting concerts.

But now that the option to block them was put into the game...I say, hey, knock yourself out. I may not even notice.

On a snarkier note, I'll add that since the option was put into the game, I've seen the use of FEs sharply decline, even during events that sell them. So, just as we suspected, they were mostly about griefing other players after all.

I think its very good of you to ask on here about the etiquette. No one asked me and I ended up wearing bags, falling into a sleep, in a green cloud...standing outside the haunted burrow became quite a bore...I don't do tricks so i'll add the forced emote block because I also agree if you block, you shouldn't trick either...
    If in danger from Red, Call Glod.....

Thank you for expressing your opinions.

Interestingly there is another current thread on this topic: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Actually-Grief but in there nobody mentions asking first before using an emote.

Coupled with the fact that in my experience people do not react (e.g. return a /wave) a large proportion of the time - I guess they are AFK; concentrating on their gam-play; hidden their chat-box; and so on. Saying "Please kind Sir or Madam would you mind awfully were I to release a spider?" would I think elicit a "you wot?" type of response as often as not, even if anyone did reply!

So for me anyway asking first isn't an option - incidentally one player I used it on was marked AFK - supposedly safe then - I "spidered" and got a /poke in response! To me that indicated they didn't particularly appreciate the spider (I may be wrong of course). From this example even AFK people should maybe asked first!

So the choice is really between risking upsetting people and dumping the festival consumables. *sigh* As the Spider Legs are actually non-intrusive (i.e. do not interrupt game-play in any way) I wonder if the couple of "bad" reactions didn't really upset anyone - that's just my interpretation. *confused*

" incidentally one player I used it on was marked AFK - supposedly safe then"

And that attitude is why we needed the toggle.

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    " incidentally one player I used it on was marked AFK - supposedly safe then"

And that attitude is why we needed the toggle.
    I do realise that some people mark themselves /afk and forget to unmark (using /afk again) - so we can quite often see the peculiarity of an away-from-keyboard person running through the landscape - I'm not going to try to explain how, as using anything other than one's own fingers (or equivalent) is supposedly a bannable offence!

Please, please explain specifically why anyone marked AFK would need the toggle?

I do realise that some people mark themselves /afk and forget to unmark (using /afk again) - so we can quite often see the peculiarity of an away-from-keyboard person running through the landscape - I'm not going to try to explain how, as using anything other than one's own fingers (or equivalent) is supposedly a bannable offence!

Please, please explain specifically why anyone marked AFK would need the toggle?
    If I have to explain there is no point in doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    If I have to explain there is no point in doing it.
    I was always violently opposed to FEs, because I have had characters killed by having FEs thrown at me when in combat areas, failed timed quests because of them etc. But since the toggle, I say 'help yourself'. I don't mind anymore as I use the toggle when I don't wish to be FE'd but leave it off when it isn't interfering and now actually enjoy being FE'd as it makes me feel more socially included in a way!

I find it personally acceptable to use a consumable emote on someone, unless you can clearly tell if they are in the middle of a "time-sensitive"/combat activity (I'm not sure if using these on someone in combat would even have an effect on them - never saw it happen myself), or some form of organized role-play in which your emote would hinder their enjoyment. The option to toggle them off is there for a reason, and I feel others are vocal enough about letting others know about its existence that it's not some hidden feature (and no, I do not use the feature myself, unless I know I am going to be doing something in which a forced emote would damper that activity)

For myself, most any consumable emotes I had started to accrue and utilize for the deed are those that cause a faint-like effect - unless I have another consumable to offset that previous one. Sometimes I also use an emote to assist others that had been affected by someone else's knock-down. Specifically, the one I almost consider an "anti-grief" consumable emote is the OP's consumable in question - the Spider Legs. If you use this on a player who has been knocked down (say, by a Black Slappy Glove one), it will force the targeted character to stand up again. Use it on a standing character, and it will not alter their vertical positioning. There might be other of the consumable emotes like this one. (So the character that I am learning a couple of emotes has the Black Slap glove which I'd use first, followed by a Spider Leg...if I do both, I will generally use the glove on either an AFK character, or maybe someone I know. Of course, I got these consumables several years ago, and I'm terrible at forgetting to actually use them in my inventory, so...)

Some of the other emotes I have picked up that I consider on the more tame side include the fire-breathing potion and the one that puts out a small snot glob on the ground. Silly, but non-vertically-adjusting lethal.
    Last edited by ani6morphs; Nov 07 2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Zyngor || Main server: Landroval (also on Arkenstone & others) // LOTRO Players
    My LOTRO Character List (wiki page)

Quote Originally Posted by ani6morphs View Post
    I find it personally acceptable to use a consumable emote on someone, unless you can clearly tell if they are in the middle of a "time-sensitive"/combat activity (I'm not sure if using these on someone in combat would even have an effect on them - never saw it happen myself)
    It happens and they can be cast on anyone not in actual combat, ie if you are standing just out of notice of a wandering monster, you can be hit with a FE, the monster takes one more step and you are now in its range and it attacks while you are helpless on the floor. Its happened to me, I was 217xp short of the undying title and got really peeved!