We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    While 40-45 is probably the worst stretch in the game, 50-65 is pretty awful, too.

In agree regarding 40-45, but 50-65 is the level zone I like the most in the entire game !

Quote Originally Posted by Eliahnus View Post
    In agree regarding 40-45, but 50-65 is the level zone I like the most in the entire game !
    i actually find 40-45 quite enjpyable, 40-43 is easy in angmar, while 43-45 is in one of THE BEST zones in the whole game which is the beautiful misty mountains

Quote Originally Posted by GSO86 View Post
    i read something here about XP Disablers.. Is that a real thing? Why would someone want to disable thier XP?
    If you outlevel a region you can still do the quests and not get xp for it since its grey, right?
    Generally, yes.

You might not be able to get tasks which can make it hard to get reputation in some areas.

The main reason is people who want not just to do the quests, but to have them be as challenging as they ought to be.

Ultimately, there's a free version of XP disablers that doesn't even take up a pocket slot, though. Just play two characters, and let each one of them do half the content. There are a few level ranges that this is nigh-impossible for, but you can get two characters to level cap with relatively little repetition if you set your mind to it.

xp disbler

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    or buy XP disablers.

You have to pay to disable xp?? cmon really that's atrocious... No other game out there makes you pay to disable xp, such a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantank View Post
    You have to pay to disable xp?? cmon really that's atrocious... No other game out there makes you pay to disable xp, such a joke.
    Eh which games actually allow you to turn off xp ? Serious question i don't think i happened to see that yet and if i did i can't remember.
    Nothing here matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    Eh which games actually allow you to turn off xp ? Serious question i don't think i happened to see that yet and if i did i can't remember.
    I think WoW does it, or atleast did before Cata. I think I remember my gf was disabling her XP to stay in a level bracket for pvp as a highest level (I mean like being level 29 in a 20-29 bracket) for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupakabara View Post
    I think WoW does it, or atleast did before Cata. I think I remember my gf was disabling her XP to stay in a level bracket for pvp as a highest level (I mean like being level 29 in a 20-29 bracket) for some time.
    You're right, i actually played that game for 5 years and tottaly forgot they added that, go figure, must be because i never used it lol.
    Nothing here matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    COH did

/10Char
    [IMG]http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy87/Torgeau/sig-lotro_zpsf040a784.jpg[/IMG]
    -[B]Fence Sitter of Eriador[/B]-
    "[I]All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal or fattening.[/I]" - Alexander Woollcott

Quote Originally Posted by Rainith View Post
    My thought is, "What happens if you have the xp disabler equipped when you buy / use this item? Does it cancel it out?"
    I thinking a catastrophic disruption to the space-time continuum and possibly the destruction of the universe.
    Jeffaman-Guarding Hobbit Jeffro-Burgling Hobbit Tinulaurien-Elf Lore Master Cephus-Champion of Men Lilnooblet-Hunting Hobbit Jeffrandir-Snooty Elf Rune-keeper- All of Brandywine
    Long live the halflings! Praise them with great praise!
    RIP Nidor - Brandywine's bravest warrior

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    While 40-45 is probably the worst stretch in the game, 50-65 is pretty awful, too.
    Right now, there's the 100% xp bonus... But even then, I started playing my lvl 43 Warden again, and I'm now lvl 48, and have made nearly a level a day playing maybe a hour or so a day. So if 40-45 is the worse... 50-65 can't be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Brya View Post
    As the level cap continues to rise each year, it can be increasingly off-putting to potential new customers ("OMG! I need to reach level 95 to get to endgame?!").
    See, I don't understand this mentality. More levels mean more of Middle Earth to explore. If I was new to Lotro and found that there was only 20 levels and the endgame was Barrow Downs, I would be LESS interested than if there were 95 levels and I could cruise all through Middle Earth. And anyway with Big Battle auto-level-scaling you won't need to get to 95 for endgame participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    See, I don't understand this mentality.
    Then clearly this item isn't targeted at you. It's targeted at people who for what ever reason feel that being able to skip the first 50 levels is worth ~$50.

I know I don't think so, but I also don't doubt that there's a number of people who do.

Quote Originally Posted by LordHagen View Post
    Turbine, powered by milking you out of money!
    How cute you made your own QQ account.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman76 View Post
    meh stupid quote box
    LOL ok Because I was really wondering how what I said was QQ....

I'm pretty sure I know what post you were trying to quote though, and I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfox View Post
    LOL ok Because I was really wondering how what I said was QQ....

I'm pretty sure I know what post you were trying to quote though, and I agree with you.
    Yeah it kinda came out wrong
    Long live the power of edit button.
    As for the Gift.
    Well it's free to use if you have tons I guess.
    I had 22k or so TP when I got back and tbh I've been spending em like mad.
    But I like the low level SOA areas so I'd rather spend them on misc stuff and Coins to save me a few hrs to catch up on old epic quest by quick travel

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman76 View Post
    Yeah it kinda came out wrong
    No worries.

If they had an option to go to 85, with deeds virtues around 10 (with class deeds done) I'd go for this option at least once.
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

That I'd probably go for as well.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up one day.
    Maybe the level 50 are just to test the waters so to speak.
    A 95 ready geared one I would have no interest in though.
    At least not until I got a couple of others geared out at that level.

edit: I swear I hit reply not the quote buttons.. I guess I should leave work soon

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    See, I don't understand this mentality. More levels mean more of Middle Earth to explore. If I was new to Lotro and found that there was only 20 levels and the endgame was Barrow Downs, I would be LESS interested than if there were 95 levels and I could cruise all through Middle Earth. And anyway with Big Battle auto-level-scaling you won't need to get to 95 for endgame participation.
    i dont think you understand, the point he's making there, is that you HAVE to level in order to get to particular areas, and whilst i totally agree with you on that having content only up to barrow downs would completely suck, and in fact, miss the point of the game, i have to say that if the level cap was indeed at 20 ( slight exaggeration) but that was the point at which you get to mordor, then i can guarantee that 1) the target market of the game would be completely different 2) all people playing lotro right now would move on to something like WoW or RIFT, and 3) the popularity of this game in the "tolkien world" would increase dramatically, meaning that the overall player base would become quite big. So basically, try putting yourself in a position of LotR lover, who also started (and enjoys) playing mmorpg's lately, now...he gets in the game, and realises that in order to go out and explore the middle earth turbine/WB have built, he will have to spend 1 or 2 years leveling a character. Now that's off putting, isnt it?

The reason it's detrimental is that it does affect every player, whether or not they buy it. Warner Bros. Turbine is saying Tolkien's work is worth $50 to them to skip. They make money off of this world. Ok that's great, they bring it to life and give it a different sort of life outside of the books. They've done a great job at it for the bulk of the content. Now, when it suits WB Turbine's wallet they say "just skip it." It feels passive-aggressive and it's an abuse of of Tolkien's world. It makes The Lord of the Rings, a tremendous, landmark piece of Western literature, into just another backdrop for an MMO. That affects every player whether they're raiders, RPers, casuals or hardcore. The attitude of WB Turbine towards The Lord of the Rings is changing as it becomes more "WB" and less "Turbine." That affects everyone.

WB Turbine cheapening Tolkien's masterpiece by offering a "skip ahead" is wrong. Wrong because it's a work of art that is being chopped up to be more easily digested by impatient people who have no respect for a brilliant author, professor, poet and philologist. It panders to the demanding and immature. At best, it's in bad taste. At worst, it's incredibly disrespectful.

From a gamer's point of view, SoA has some of the best stories and best gameplay. Why skip as much of the game as possible when the end-game will be available at level 10? So a player gets to the end-game sooner, which was the same end-game they have been playing all along? I don't understand that logic. We might never see a raid as good as the Rift again. Why bother developing something so extensive when there's a faster, easier buck to be made through people supporting this "Gift of the Valar"? That name, talk about bad taste.

I've seen a few posts saying it's only a beta item. If it is, awesome. I sincerely hope that they're correct. I'm worried they're wrong because I would expect this sort of thread to have been closed by now to shut down the spread of false information.

Quote Originally Posted by Daragh View Post
    At best, it's in bad taste. At worst, it's incredibly disrespectful.
    This is a MMO, not a work of literature.

From a gamer's point of view, SoA has some of the best stories and best gameplay.
    That's a completely subjective opinion, and even if people agree with you, that doesn't mean someone who has been though the first 50 levels 5 times already want to go though it again.

Why skip as much of the game as possible when the end-game will be available at level 10?
    Again, why do you think your opinion on the matter is the only one that should count?

I've seen a few posts saying it's only a beta item.
    Why would anyone buy such a thing in the beta test when they get autolevled for free? This item is most likely in the beta store, but it will be part of the live version after Helms Deep launches

Quote Originally Posted by Chupakabara View Post
    You have to pay some in-game old to an NPC to turn it off in WoW, I used to do it quite a lot for the 'out-levelled content' issues raised here.

In EQ you can redirect xp to the alternate advancement system.

There are a LOT of games that allow it. We were told years ago here that there would be a toggle made available, but of course it became a cash shop item when the store came in.
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfox View Post
    This is a MMO, not a work of literature.

That's a completely subjective opinion, and even if people agree with you, that doesn't mean someone who has been though the first 50 levels 5 times already want to go though it again.

Again, why do you think your opinion on the matter is the only one that should count?

Why would anyone buy such a thing in the beta test when they get autolevled for free? This item is most likely in the beta store, but it will be part of the live version after Helms Deep launches

The game is based entirely on the literature, throw it out and what MMO do you have? You have the backdrop of Middle Earth for an MMO, nothing more. Nothing more interesting, artistic or engaging than that.

Many people have voiced the opinion that SoA is their favorite part of the game, I am merely one of them.

My hope that it was a beta item is not well supported. The fact that you do get autoleveled also supports my fear that it will soon be live.

I never once said my opinion is the only one that counts. Everyone is giving their opinion. This is mine.

This is a heavy sigh moment for me. . .

I'm that guy who keeps making posts about the "integrity" of games.

Well, Hobbit presents stripped a lot of the integrity from the game for me. And I thought I was finally done. I took a long break.

But after a few months, I thought. . . okay, the sting has worn off, I'll come back for Helm's Deep. So I started goofing around a bit at a time. Even just this morning, I took two of my toons to the Brown Lands to kill Easterlings for a rank of Virtue.

And then I see this. . .

I was hoping I'd enjoy Helm's Deep for a bit before the next big chunk of this game's integrity was excised. But it appears to be set to coincide with Helm's Deep.

So, once again, I'm just stuck with the feeling that I'm playing a "game" that isn't even a game anymore.

And I can't help but shake my head at all the "I hate it, but it's okay because others won't". . . I'm all for living and letting live. But this is a game. The rules and structure of a game have to be honored by its players, its officials, and even its spectators. That is wholly lost under this business model. Now, everyone's so enamored of playing "their game" their way, that the game itself has lost all semblance of integrity.

How does it affect me if I never use it? Because. . . it's there. For my level 1 WRD and my level 35 RK, it'll be there, making the journey to level cap seem all the more arduous and pointless. In much the same way the achievement of scaling Everest would be cheapened and demeaned by the folks who build an escalator to the top or offer you helicopter rides to the summit every hour on the hour. Even if I make it the old-fashioned way, the achievement is necessarily diminished by the fact that there are now ways to get there instantly without all the hub-bub.

One of the defining characteristics of a game, especially MMOs, was that we all had to endure the same trials and challenges while achieving the game's goals. Just as a marathon runner actually has to run the course to arrive at the finish line. That is now fully out the window. We're now fully engaged in bribing the officials to not only speed us via mo-ped to the last mile of the marathon, but also deck us out in new running shoes. And nobody sees much of a problem with it.

Honestly, I don't even know what to do now. I was excited to start playing LotRO again in earnest. Now I'm just sitting here wondering if I'll even want to do so upon HD release. But I'm even more troubled by how untroubled this community now is about these types of developments. It really does seem like it's all over. We now accept this as just the way it is without even a modicum of resistance. Which means there will only be more of this, at ever-shortening intervals.

--H

P.S. If someone is still tempted to ask me why I care if I won't use this, sorry, I can't help you understand. I've explained it until I'm blue in the face. Some people just won't see it from my perspective. Just as I can't fathom theirs or how they can't see this as a cheapening/diminishment of the game.
    "I went to the trouble and expense of driving my old Honda Civic into a lake to try to prove to you that it won't float. . . only to have you respond: 'Hmmm, interesting. . . would you be willing to drive a Honda Accord into the lake?'"

Quote Originally Posted by Daragh View Post
    The game is based entirely on the literature, throw it out and what MMO do you have?
    Sorry but that's simply a nonsense statement. If you remove ME from the LotRO MMO, then you have nothing. But being able to skip over part of the MMO is not disrespectful to anyone or anything. Even though LotRO is based on the LotR books, it's not the books, and on one is going to be rolling over in their graves over it.

Many people have voiced the opinion that SoA is their favorite part of the game, I am merely one of them.
    Then those people shouldn't buy this item. Not sure why this is such a hard concept for some people to get. If you want to do the first 50 levels then do so. If someone else doesn't want to, then it doesn't effect you in any way. Yes they are missing out on something, but that's their problem not yours or mine. They may not even be missing anything, not if they've already done the 1-50 a couple times.

I never once said my opinion is the only one that counts.
    Sure you have, the way you dismiss every opinion other then yours says that quite clearly. The fact that you refuse to allow someone to skip over something, just because you think they shouldn't be able to, is very much you saying that their opinion on the matter doesn't count.

Now if this game was only 2-3 years old, I might agree that a autolevel system is a bad idea. Not because I think people shouldn't miss out on the content, but rather because such a thing can have a negative effect on the playerbase. But in a 6-7 year old MMO... It's a different matter.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast