Over the last several weeks I have been noticing F2P players asking question about leveling, where to go, what to do, etc.
Today was different though. A level 29 hunter asked what skirmishes would be good for him. We got to talking and, as it turned out, hes been grinding from level 15 to 29 because he had no clue about the north downs, lonelands, or anywhere else for that fact. He spends his earned TP is the cash shop to buy COOL stuff. This actually got to me because I started to like him as a player and person. its because of our conversation that I write this guide.....for all Free to Play characters out there.
Just remember, this is a guide, not a rulebook. The TP you earn ingame is yours to spend. Im only going to make suggestions on how to spend it, the final choice is yours.
The F2P guide to TP begins here: Task Boards - Do all tasks everyday
1. There are only a few things in the cash shop that you should actually buy, which are as follows;
a. Enhanced wallet
b. Unlockable zones such as north-downs, trollshaws, misty mountains. Buy all the zones, 1 at a time, as you quest thru the zones.
c. Gold cap remover. As a f2P character, I believe you can only have a max of 2 gold. (GET THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE)
d. Shared storage, a nice perk in the later part of the game, should have before you get to moria.
e. As you gain TP, you want to look at increasing your bag space and inventory space in the vault.
2. The mechanics of gaining TP;
a. In the beginning of the game, you have 3 open areas (FREE) to you, which are Erid Luin, The Shire, and Breeland. Im told that lonelands is also free, but I am not sure about that.
b. In each of the areas above, you want to complete each and every deed you can, all of them. Save the TP you earn, after you finish with all of the above areas, you should think about the direction you want to go, thru North downs or lonelands and Trollshaws into the misty mountians. When you have decided which way to go, buy all the zones you can in the direction you have chosen to go. If you do not know which way to go, I would suggest you follow the epic questlines. The epics will take you thru most every zone ingame, if not ALL of them. In whichever way you decide to go, do all deeds in each zone that you goto. Do not leave any deed undone, where posible.
c. TP Farming - completly legal ingame
1. As early as your mid 20's you can go farming for Breeland rep items in the barrow downs. If you have to purchase any of the instances....go ahead and purchase them, but not all. All you need is 1 really. Ask around in OOC and or GLFF channel as to which is best to get. After you haveunlocked it, you will spend alot of time here but its worth it in the long run because of the TP you will earn. And heres what you do with the rep items;
a. First off, use all the rep items for yourself and get to kindred with breeland. You will notice as you achieve each reputation rank you get paid TP.
b. Gather more Breeland rep items, this time use them on an alt character of yours....if you dont yet have a alt, make 1. Dont worry about what class or race, just create a chacter and get him thru the intro. Next, get all the rep items to your alt character and let him use them, getting his rep to kindred. You will notice that once again, you got paid TP for each rank of reputation that you have gained. After he hits kinddred, send all unused tp back to your main character, then delete the alt character you have created, then remake a new alt, send him rep items, get to kindred, delete char, rinse and repeat.
c. If you do as suggested above for 2 to 3 hours a day, you should have no problem earning 1000 TP or more in a weeks time.
d. from this point, you know which way you are going to go, you have an idea how to make TP, so now all thats left is - what are you willing to do? Its going to be a grind since you are F2P, if you dont want to grind, thats fine, you will hit a wall ( a zone you dont have unlocked) and thats all she wrote. You have no TP to unlock the area, so you stick around grinding on what you can for whatever reason, and eventually you leave out of boredom.
Reputation areas; Ost Garuth in lonelands has been left off this list because theres no farming location to get actual rep items. The rep guy in Ost garuth gives you crafting recipes, you must craft the items and then turn them in for reputation.
1. Trollshaws - Wight area (Night time only) level of area - 35 ISH - rivendale rep
2. Misty Mountians - The road leading up to the Helegrod instance. Kill the concur on this road. Level of Mobs - Low 40's - rivendale rep
3. North Downs - Dol Dinen area. Dangerous place if you go inside the wood fort. Level of mobs - 38 ish - Rangers Rep
4. Evendim - Kill any tomb robbers anywhere, they drop rep items. Level of Mobs - Low 30's. A second area to farm rep items in this zone - Annuminas -level of Mobs - 45ish
5. Forchel - Kill the Guradins in the camp just north of Zigilund - level of Mobs - 38 ish. Any guradins in the zone along with any animal can drop rep items, but your best farming location is the camp I just mentioned. A Second location to farm is the dwarven cave next to zigilund. The dwarves in this cave drop Thorins rep items - level of Mobs - 45 ish
6. Angmar - You must complete epic book 6 to farm rep in this zone. 2 different types of rep farming is here. The wights area drop northern council rep whereas the orc camp on the east side near the dwarven settlement drop estilden rep items. The estilden rep items in Dol Dinen are the low level rep items, whereas here in angmar, these are to 700 rep tokens. Also of note are the instances Carn Dum and Urugarth. Any mobs you kill in theese instances give you rep. The mobs in this zone are 45ish.
7. Moria - ANY Mob in this ENTIRE ZONE can drop rep items. Moria is 1 HUGE zone.
This ends all farmable areas in LOTRO. With the introduction of Lothlorien, all rep is earned by doing quests, and repeatable quests once they have been unlocked.
This is basically the end of the guide. If you want to progress in Lord of the Rings Online, you must choose to be F2P or a VIP, you must choose to BUY tp with real money or work for the TP by grinding. The choice is yours.