We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

[NEW KINSHIP] Cherth-e-Eryn | Med RP | Elven | Recruiting!

Long has it been that the wood-elves battled against ever-spreading darkness. From the early years of the Third Age, a plaguing evil stole through countless forces of Elven-kind, claiming life, land, and ultimately, the Greatness of the Greenwood. 1050 T.A., Sauron's gloom falls upon the Southern groves of the forest that would now forever be known as Mirkwood, marking a battle that would not end until either the former glory of the glade be bestowed once more, or shadow engulf the land.

A militia of those who wished to protect their homes and loved ones alongside the army of the Elvenking, Cherth-e-Eryn arose in the year of 2049 T.A., aiding in the first destruction of Dol Guldur led by the White Council. As The Watchful Peace settled in, whispers and rumors of wrights, Ularie (Nazgul), and Cargûl in other elven lands reached our ears. Some still had fire in their hearts, for they could not forget the damage that was done to their homes; others had vowed to never allow evil destroy any more than what it already had, and in a search for answers, a need for vengeance and more, we set out to the Western lands to aid our brethren, and continue to do so until the safety of our lands are ensured.

A kinship with the goal of establishing a fun, comfortable, and respectful roleplay environment that wholly understands and recognizes the value of community, teamwork, and most of all, RL obligations. Cherth-e-Eryn leans toward the medium RP-side of the RP spectrum, focusing on a militia-esque theme for Elven fighters and healers alike, banding together to fulfill their duties as protectors of the lands, and searching for the light that will banish evil once and for all.

An array of roleplay types and scenarios can be expected, although there will be an emphasis on serious/adventurous roleplay (for example; roleplaying various missions, fighting, travelling, [hopefully] allying with others to take on bigger tasks at hand, etc.)

In hopes of trying to keep the kinship as flexible as possible while attempting to function within lore-friendly boundaries, we have done our best to issue as few requirements/rules as possible.

Regarding One's Character:

The character you are applying with must be an Elf! Their ethnicity/origins does not matter, as non-Silvan/Mirkwood elves are more than welcome to join!

Having a fully written background is optional, but we ask that you have some basic knowledge of your Elf's history. In respect for the lore and other roleplayers, we ask that you do not apply with a character who has any sort of relation to canon characters (else we might have just about 8324085023980 Elf-maidens married to Legolas) nor are heirs to the throne, or Half-Elves (there is too much dispute around this and for the sake of roleplaying in peace, it is better to avoid the conflict surrounding Half-Elves.) If you are unsure of whether your character is lore-breaking or not, feel free to message anyone in the kinship or post on our forums for help! Lore bending is allowed when needed, remember that! So don't be shy!

Please apply with a character with a lore-friendly name. It does not have to be in actual Sindarin/Quenya (i.e. holding real meaning); as long as it sounds Elvish and nothing like "KinSlayer209801924" or "ThranduilsHomegurl5evr" or even "Jon Snow" (might work for the Race of Men, but not Elves!), you're good.

When applying, be sure to notify the officer you are contacting whether you would like your Elf to be part of Cherth-e-Eryn before they ventured Westwards or not (that's right! You can be a part of the original militia!.) Characters that are not originally from Mirkwood may be a part of the original number, though you must come up with a plausible reason for their being in Mirkwood and fighting with the militia. We may turn down your request regarding this and ask for your member to be ICly a new recruit if our numbers of non-Eryn Galen elves are too high within the initial few. (Officers need to know this so those who were ICly leading Cherth-e-Eryn (such as your Tur) may recognize your character, if they choose to.)

Player Behaviour:
    Respect. Respect, respect, respect. R e s p e c t. It cannot be stressed enough how seriously we take respect towards all kinmembers. Harassment, ridiculing (with intent to cause harm/resulting in hurt feelings), etc. will not be tolerated. Racism and hate speech of any kind is strictly, STRICTLY prohibited.

All that nasty, mean stuff aside, all we expect from our kinnies is to be kind, friendly, and considerate to one another. Abide by proper RP etiquette, etiquette for asking of a kinsmen/women's crafting services, etc. c:

It is absolutely not required for one to be super knowledgeable of Tolkien lore. We consider ourselves a learning kinship, not Tolkien elitists, so those who aren't too familiar with Tolkien's books will not be shunned or mocked in any way. We encourage you to ask questions if you are unsure of something!

Never RP'd before? Great! Been RPing for forever? Awesome! It is, in no way, a requirement for any player who wishes to join the Cherth, to have extensive roleplaying experience. We are welcoming to roleplayers of all levels and types, and we ask to keep in mind that all roleplayers are different in terms of style.

You are not required to be online all day, everyday, or even every week; the same goes for roleplaying. We completely understand RL expectations and obligations and will never force you to give up anything that will affect you IRL for the sake of the kinship. It would be preferable if you could let the kinship know when/how long you will be gone, if you are to be away for an event, or even if you just need some space, just so we know we'll be seeing you again at some point!

While there is no age requirement, we expect members act maturely and treat all members with respect.

I would just like to mention that the kinship is still very, very new and we are focused on building our numbers at the moment. A few pre-kin events have been discussed and will take place as soon as we figure out an appropriate date.

That being said, if you are interested in joining/have any questions about Cherth-e-Eryn, reply here, send an IG letter (make it IC if ya want!) or /tell to Velsirien or Lastiel, OR drop a message on our kinsite!

http://www.cherth-e-eryn.guildportal.com
    Last edited by Velsirien; Nov 03 2013 at 01:39 AM.

Good luck Velsirien with your new venture I hope it goes well.
    Our own Elven kinship the Warband of Imladris is based out of Imladris and if we can offer any interaction or help with anything please send me an IM and we will do our best to help.

Regards,
    K
    Khalis - A Captain of Imladris and Maethor of House Vanimar

Thanks so much, Khalis!

I'm positive Cherth-e-Eryn will bump into the Warband soon enough (assuming CeE works out!), as one of our starter RP events may take place in Imladris! Thank you very much for your kind offer, I'll be sure to let you know if we need anything/may be running into each other. c:

-sneakishly bumps thread muehehehe-

For anyone who might be interested; Lastiel and I have agreed to situate ourselves in Rivendell for the time being. Cherth e Eryn has arrived to Eriador, and are focusing on collecting themselves/healing/replenishing provisions until further instruction.
    [ such is the nature of evil; in time, all foul things come forth. ]
    velsirien | landroval

I very much like your concept and the presentation as a whole. Had I chosen to be of Eryn Galen this might just have been the kinship for me. Now I only wish you good luck in your endeavours!

Quote Originally Posted by Velsirien View Post
    Lastiel and I have agreed to situate ourselves in Rivendell for the time being. Cherth e Eryn has arrived to Eriador, and are focusing on collecting themselves/healing/replenishing provisions until further instruction.
    I will try to look for members of the Cherth e Eryn when I am in and around Imladris Velsirien to try and build some roleplay between kinships seeing as we are both dwellers in Imladris. Imladris is also the home of Bar En Vanimar currently as well as having two emmissaries from the Loth I Lonnath as well.
    Khalis - A Captain of Imladris and Maethor of House Vanimar

Quote Originally Posted by EkErilaz View Post
    I very much like your concept and the presentation as a whole. Had I chosen to be of Eryn Galen this might just have been the kinship for me. Now I only wish you good luck in your endeavours!
    Oh! You don't have to worry about being from Eryn Galen to join! As mentioned above and on the kinsite, Elves from any region can join the militia, we are merely founded in Mirkwood and led by the wood-elves of the Woodland Realm. I probably should have clarified that we are not strictly a Mirkwood-elf kinship, my sincere apologies. Still, thank you very very much for your well wishes! Perhaps we'll run into each other IG!

Quote Originally Posted by Khalis_Laurelin View Post
    I will try to look for members of the Cherth e Eryn when I am in and around Imladris Velsirien to try and build some roleplay between kinships seeing as we are both dwellers in Imladris. Imladris is also the home of Bar En Vanimar currently as well as having two emmissaries from the Loth I Lonnath as well.
    Looks like we chose a good time to arrive in Rivendell! :P That's perfect! We should be getting together as a kinship sometime soon, I'll be looking forward to having us all meet!
    velsirien | landroval

Welcome to the elven community of Laurelin. May our paths cross many times, and we enjoy good roleplay together!
    Kalluin - Elf Guardian - Arandur of [URL="http://vanimar.shivtr.com"]Vanimar[/URL] (Laurelin/Landroval)
    Miste - Elf Minstrel - Lady of the Harp at [URL="http://vanimar.shivtr.com"]Vanimar[/URL] (Laurelin) and [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië[/URL] (Laurelin/Landroval)
    Vestri - Dwarf Champion - Tyalie, the [URL="http://sociedadtolkien.org"]Spanish Tolkien Society[/URL]'s kinship (Laurelin)
    Tarquillan - Human Loremaster - [URL="http://foros.comunidadhispania.com/forumdisplay.php/102"]Hispanea[/URL] (Laurelin)

Quote Originally Posted by Velsirien View Post
    Oh! You don't have to worry about being from Eryn Galen to join! As mentioned above and on the kinsite, Elves from any region can join the militia, we are merely founded in Mirkwood and led by the wood-elves of the Woodland Realm. I probably should have clarified that we are not strictly a Mirkwood-elf kinship, my sincere apologies. Still, thank you very very much for your well wishes! Perhaps we'll run into each other IG!
    Oh but I didn't miss that, my statement still stands. I do hope our characters meet in game though!

@ Kalluin - Thank you very much! Yes, definitely, I do hope for the same!

@ EkErilaz - OH okay, my bad! I thought you might've missed that part, no worries! I'm sure our elves will bump into each other on their journeys. Until then, safe travels!
    velsirien | landroval

So, I decided to post the summaries I write for the kin's storyline, so that anyone who might be interested here can see where we are in the game. I add OOC points on our kinsite's news section that points out key points within the summary (where we are situated, etc.)

Over the Mountain and Into the West

Two months have passed since Cherth-e-Eryn's departure from the Greenwood; travelling swiftly, cautiously through the long and perilous road once used by the warriors of old. For some, this path would be reminiscent of Ages past, and others, a new route to a part of Arda yet to be seen by their own eyes. No doubt, for all, this was the direction of nothing but far, far away - from home, family, but certainly not danger. No, danger lurked and crept around every rock, stone, and tree; waiting, anticipating, scheming when it shall bestow upon the Cherth a terrible calamity.

At last, Cherth-e-Eryn had reached the Misty Mountains; "tall and terrible", storytellers would say, "an endless trek through snow, bellowing winds and creatures unimaginable", yet the wood-elves would not let such tales dampen their spirits. They would take the High Pass over, and make for Rivendell where the weary were always welcome under the roof of the Last Homely House. Only, had they known, that only a few, very, very few, would arrive to Imladris. Danger had struck.

Beyond the knowledge of the soldiers, Orcs had greatly multiplied in number, choosing the deeps of the mountains as their haunt. Ambush through ambush, Cherth-e-Eryn fought their way through Orc, goblins, and blizzards, hardly with a moment of rest. Little by little, their ranks thinned, and by the time the elves had seen the end of their journey, only a handful of fighters were left; others lost, or fallen.

In great grief, what was left of the militia had settled in Lord Elrond's land, soothing their aching souls and hearts and mending wounds. Today, they still wait, keeping and ever-watchful, hopeful eye for the return of their kin. For they know, that this is far from the end of their journey; but only the beginning.

velsirien | landroval

I'm definitely curious, although I have a couple of questions.

1): Do you plan your events around a specific timezone? As a (west coast) U.S. player on an EU server it can sometimes be tricky logging on when people are actually active, and I'd feel bad if I joined a kin only to miss the majority of RP sessions <__>;

2): How heavy is the 'military' part of the group? Is it just a loose organization of people who share a common goal, or are you planning something more in the style of Durin's Folk with uniforms, drills, etc? Honestly I've been itching for some adventure RP out and about in Middle-Earth, but since most of my characters aren't really warriors (my elf is pretty much the exact opposite of a warrior) I haven't yet found a group that works. But dang it, I want to make it work!

Heya!

We'll be scheduling events around the majority of the kin's timezones. Currently it's EST (almost everyone who has joined/expressed interest is in this timezone, including me. When we get more members in the future, I'll be looking for a middle-ground time to schedule RP events around). I understand. I was in a kinship on another server one where I couldn't make any of the kin events because they were just scheduled at bad times for me, and I felt like I was missing out on a lot. I'm planning on creating some sort of back-up plan for those who really want to join in on events but can't on a specific day/are unable to because something has come up. I really, really want to give everyone a chance to get involved when they want to.

Oh no no, it's more than just sharing a common goal (I mean, it can be a factor for those who wish to join, but solely wandering about because y'all wanna smite Sauron seems a bit pointless, yeah? You might as well tag along with every other kinship out there.) I'm planning for it to be heavier on the military side of things. Though, because they are a militia, there is some degree of informality, but at the same time they need quite a bit of organization to get things done and keep everyone in shape. So, yes, when Cherth-e-Eryn is settled somewhere during their travels, there will be drills, training (I've done/am doing my research on what/how militias train and I have some pretty fun ideas we could try out. We could even demo them to see how it works), sparring, a lot of mock-missions when there aren't real missions to do. Scouting assignments, etc., those will be planned for too. I'm currently finalizing ranks & jobs within CeE, and building up a uniform that all can use (I know a lot of people don't have access to the wardrobe system so they won't be able to wear higher level outfits + don't want to spend TP on store cosmetics soooooo) I'll be updating everyone with what I've come up with so far on our kinsite.

I hope I didn't ramble too much there. Let me know if I should provide further clarification! x
    Last edited by Velsirien; Nov 15 2013 at 09:58 AM.
    velsirien | landroval

Oathsworn

"Good comes to those who wait."

A saying that is always easier said than done. For over two months, the survivors of Cherth-e-Eryn endured idle days of mourning and praying for some miracle, some blessing that would return their fallen comrades to life. As suns rose and set, Velsirien and Lastiel's hope waned with the moons, for they were trapped between the Pass that had placed upon them a dire tragedy, and the path onwards, into danger unknown to them. However, many travelers forget, the stars of Elbereth often shine at their brightest during times of darkness.

As nights continued to push forward, the wood-elves found many kind faces and strong hearts seek them out to assist in their cause. Elves from the fair shores of Lindon, to those of their own homeland, Eryn Galen, extended their bows and blades in service to the Cherth-e-Eryn with utmost sincerity. Before long, their numbers had grown, and although they are still few, they are strong.

On this night, all Elves take their oath against all things that threaten their homes and people. On this night, Cherth-e-Eryn is brought to life once more.

velsirien | landroval

Unfortunately we have been away for the holidays. But we are still around, and looking for some new members. If interested please pst Lastiel or Velsirien.