We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Random Theorycrafting Observations

"Sword and Storm," the traited Lightning component of Staff-Strike, doesn't seem to ever crit. There is no variance to its damage (that is, it deals a fixed quantity of damage as do, for example, the initial hit of the Burning Embers DoT, the Ring of Fire not-main-hit, the initial hit of the Sticky Gourd DoT, etc.), and its damage is dependent on your Tactical Damage Rating rather than your Staff Melee damage. It also does very little damage.

Ring of Fire's not-main-hit is completely independent of your Tactical Damage Rating; it is not counted as a DoT for the purpose of the Minor Class Legacy "+X% Fire Damage Over Time." It is, however, affected by your Tactical Mastery.

The Weapon Legacy "+48% Fire Skills Critical Damage" seems to be weird... non-Fire Crits seem to do 219% of the usual damage, but my Fire Crits seem to do 239% of the usual damage, specifically using the first hit of the Improved Burning Embers DoT (as it has no variance). 20% != 48%.

"Burst of Flame," the cash-out damage effect that Lightning Storm and Strike give by consuming a Burning Embers stack, is really really weak and has no variance in its damage. It also seems to be unaffected entirely by the Weapon Legacy "+48% Fire Skills Critical Damage," as when it critically hits, it deals 219% of its usual damage rather than 239%.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodalf View Post
    "Burst of Flame," the cash-out damage effect that Lightning Storm and Strike give by consuming a Burning Embers stack, is really really weak and has no variance in its damage.
    I noticed this in my testing too. This cashout which eliminates all BE/SE stacks does less damage than a single Wizard's Fire pulse. Truly pathetic.
    Now I begin fights with lightning attacks just to avoid having this penalty wipe out almost all my dps.

Something else I noticed: Searing Embers does in fact have an initial hit; like Burning Embers, it deals fixed damage.

Found something else strange: Our off-hand melee damage can score a Devastating Hit, but it doesn't do any more damage than a Critical Hit does. (Our main-hand Staff melee damage works normally.)

Something else: On Flank, Staff-Strike deals an extra hit of Light damage that does about 70% the damage of the original hit. I haven't yet checked whether this rolls on Resistances or B/P/E or whether this cares about your TDR or your DPS.
    Last edited by Orodalf; Apr 28 2016 at 12:50 PM.

Ring of Fire DoTs used to be true damage, not fire damage. That might be the reason legacies don't work on it, but haven't checked in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Manulele View Post
    Ring of Fire DoTs used to be true damage, not fire damage. That might be the reason legacies don't work on it, but haven't checked in a while.
    Ring of the Fire doesn't have DoT, or am I wrong? It always dealt damge when someone entered or left the ring, but never DoT.

Nope, it's not a DoT. There's not really a convenient way to refer to it, though.

And you are correct, it is typeless damage, not Fire Damage.

I discovered today that Fire Shield's Fire damage reflection and Ring of Fire's typeless damage ignore absorption... so they can kill the Mistress of Pestilence's spores quite easily.