We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Traitlines - Red and... I guess Yellow?

Hi,

I'm leveling my alts and my LM is currently lv 45. I use red line for solo, and generally I use the lynx.
    i find that I'm - myself - very squishy (my main is a minstrel btw) and I learned quickly that I need to make sure my pet is getting the aggro, that's fine as a class mechanic.
    I just find it very awkward that I'm the pet's sidekick when it comes to damage, not the other way around.
    In any case I assume red line is the most used line because of the dps output, be it solo or in group (in red we still have enough cc to do stuff).

Now, I'm not sure what other traitline should I go for. In my impression yellow screams to be the best of the 3 when it comes to grouping, so the "obvious" 2nd line.
    In my reasoning the yellow debuffs are welcome for the group, while blue is... I don't know. I guess we become the pet's pet? I can see blue for solo but in grouping I have no idea how that works out.

Is red + yellow a good choice, or am missing something from the blue line?

EDIT: By the Valar I finished the 1000 Gust of Wind deed.

Quote Originally Posted by JFDCamara View Post
    Hi,

I'm leveling my alts and my LM is currently lv 45. I use red line for solo, and generally I use the lynx.
    i find that I'm - myself - very squishy (my main is a minstrel btw) and I learned quickly that I need to make sure my pet is getting the aggro, that's fine as a class mechanic.
    I just find it very awkward that I'm the pet's sidekick when it comes to damage, not the other way around.
    In any case I assume red line is the most used line because of the dps output, be it solo or in group (in red we still have enough cc to do stuff).

Now, I'm not sure what other traitline should I go for. In my impression yellow screams to be the best of the 3 when it comes to grouping, so the "obvious" 2nd line.
    In my reasoning the yellow debuffs are welcome for the group, while blue is... I don't know. I guess we become the pet's pet? I can see blue for solo but in grouping I have no idea how that works out.

Blue is a perfectly fine tree for soloing/leveling or single-target dps situations, but you're basically giving up on being an aoe class. Primary Yellow generally isn't necessary for content since most content in this game is trivial at this point, but it could have its uses. IMO the best overall spec is red main with points left over in yellow.

As you approach the later levels on this alt, red with yellow for solo/aoe damage and yellow red for support plus single target/aoe will probably work best. As mentioned in another thread the Ancient Craft legacy is currently positively bugged (and you know how speedy the devs are with bug fixes...) - so that in yellow main, the debuff is enourmous.

As for your levelling up, especially while in red, I would recommend practicing your CC - to help with squishiness, eg chain root/stunning/mezzing. Maybe not much consolation but at 76, you get waterlore. Then, you become a lot less squishy! Also, while levelling if you just want to blitz through some stuff you could always go blue for a bit and run with the bear if still feeling squishy. It's not usually useful when grouped, but can be a useful line for bored alt-levelling and (including later on) for soloing some stuff that is especially hard (eg tricky wargs in the Ettenmoors, skraids etc).

Really?(not judgmental just surprised) My LM is lv 83 and so far I've been going main red with left over points in blue, and this has been working great for me. So why is it better to put the remaining points in yellow rather than in blue?

Quote Originally Posted by gctwuna View Post
    Really?(not judgmental just surprised) My LM is lv 83 and so far I've been going main red with left over points in blue, and this has been working great for me. So why is it better to put the remaining points in yellow rather than in blue?
    You are right that there is nothing wrong with red with blue. Especially for killing lots of trash, it is quick - with induction reductions from blue. And for soloing tricky stuff where time is not so important as surviving, a purple build can work well - training red but spending deep into blue to get loyalty and sic em.

So why red with yellow? This gives you better CC and also better healing (with mending lore). Against hard-hitting foes, fire lore is very useful! Storm lore gives you an extra stun and extra lightning damage.

When you have enough points to get 3 ranks of ancient craft while still getting fire shield from red, it is probably the build with highest dps, and certainly the highest burst dps. Unbuffed, even a 40-50k tact mastery LM (easy to reach at level cap) can hit trash mobs for 80k and upwards with ancient craft then lightning storm. And I have seen 50k+ hits on creeps. With higher mastery and/or buffs the numbers can be ridiculous. In group v group PvP, I regularly hear the leader ask for ancient craft and lightning storm, and in combo with other freeps this usually assassinates the RAT. Remember that ancient craft debuff lasts for a minute too

So you sacrifice a little bit of speed but gain significantly improved functionality both in support and dps.

I have been leveling as blue line, and it feels good @ lvl 80. I tried the red line and it seemed like a lot more work for far more risk and not much benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenkamir View Post
    So why red with yellow? This gives you better CC and also better healing (with mending lore). Against hard-hitting foes, fire lore is very useful! Storm lore gives you an extra stun and extra lightning damage.
    Ahh. That makes alot of sense.

Hi,

I think you should try blue, but look here to see some full builds made by other players: http://www.lotrottp.lotrostatus.com/builds.php (choose a class to see the builds)

I think that for soloing, either red or blue are very viable. Survivability might be a bit better in blue. I personally prefer blue; it feels more lore-mastery to me. I find playing in red line to be uninteresting. But those are just my opinions and naturally others feel differently.

I have used yellow for taking a healing role in 3-mans and for debuff and support in 6 mans. I don't think I've ever used it solo.

I've always used a full red build but when the trait trees came out I chose that Red-Yellow combo you mention. It rly works for me for solo landscape quests and instances, tho I mostly use raven (or bear if the mobs take me more time to burn down).
    My second line is Yellow-Red, tho i only use it for grouping from time to time (pet depends on the kind of run im doing). But, imho, Yellow's CC is not as good as it was before the trait trees and Blue bores me out of my mind.

So, some ppl highlight the dmg done by Sic Em (blue) or Adding Insult to Injury proc (Yellow). I guess it's a matter of which line makes you feel more comfortable while fighting. Since LM is a versatile class, I'd suggest trying out different trait combinations till you find the one you like most for each combat situation (which in my case, has always been red).

Been a long time since I level my LM but I know I can say they're far from squishy compared it many, many moons ago.

1. Yellow line mixed with red is the way to go for quick work of single targets(though I prefer red yellow)
    2. Redline mixed yellow for 1 plus mobs in my opinion is the only way to go because with bear and tar you can pretty much kite and kill 4/5 at a time no problem.

As for once you get waterlore well red line all the way and dip into yellow for healing bonus and you'll be a tank/dps machine with some practice.

Now while blue line gives you the ability to not die unless you're doing something beyond stupid, the dps frankly is a joke as with your pets for what it should be.

Just my views

I have all three lines open. I have a Red with blue and yellow one, a Blue with red and yellow one, and a Yellow with red and blue one. I do wish that the Yellow line would get some love, for it is lacking compared to the other two.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGENDofALL View Post
    Been a long time since I level my LM but I know I can say they're far from squishy compared it many, many moons ago.

1. Yellow line mixed with red is the way to go for quick work of single targets(though I prefer red yellow)
    2. Redline mixed yellow for 1 plus mobs in my opinion is the only way to go because with bear and tar you can pretty much kite and kill 4/5 at a time no problem.

As for once you get waterlore well red line all the way and dip into yellow for healing bonus and you'll be a tank/dps machine with some practice.

Now while blue line gives you the ability to not die unless you're doing something beyond stupid, the dps frankly is a joke as with your pets for what it should be.

Just my views
    Agreed here, plus later on when you have more skill points putting some into fire lore is great too.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r8 Mini

I just started getting back into playing...I only have one character that is an LM......I made it up to level 81...but now I am starting over with a new one as I felt I went through the game too fast and missed a lot of stuff. For that former LM I found it was very situational depending on what you need for a solo advneture and/or want to offer a group. My suggestion is learn how to master all three trees.

I went back and solo'ed a lot of fellowship instances in Angmar and Carn Dum and found I often needed to swap things out to triumph for certain situations. Once you have the Bog pet I think you will be very pleased with how well things go....LM is a class that seemed to me anyways to get stronger as I leveled.....you'll get a lot of traits and skills that help a lot.

Don't rule out using the blue line...that greatly increases the power of your pet....I have had that slotted and let my animal take on tough bosses while I debuffed and healed.

Hi,

probably I am a bit late with reply but noticed here few important things to comment.
    First of all my LM is 105. I levelled it in red line with remaining points in blue line to increase damage of a pet.
    I never found my LM squishy. Probably because I used bog all the time. And bog has huge advantage over melee pets - it starts hitting mobs immediately. Your lynx wastes 2-3 hits while running to a mob. I never used melee pets during levelling, except seldom situations when I needed tanking pet, and ofc I used bear for this.
    In difficult situations I could kite the pack and bog shot them out while i ran around. Ranged pet is huuuge advantage over melee.
    So, your first problem was using melee pet. Pets have quite different advantages, so you must use pets according to situations, not just relying on fact that big cats are cool-looking
    Now at 105 I found that I need Storm-lore to add to my dps skills. So my traits are now - main red, path to storm-lore in yellow line, and remaining point on Sign of the wild: Rage (blue line). Still my main pet is bog, bear for tanking, sometimes lynx when I stay in melee range (ie 6 pela first stage), sometimes raven and we even have healing spirit!
    And one more important thing - when you level always wear best gear. Otherwise you will struggle no matter what pets, trait lines or else.
    Last edited by Montezuma's; May 12 2016 at 06:52 AM.

Hi,

The LM is the squishiest class ever. If you want to live, you basicly need to kite or spam heals.
    At level 45 you can easily kill npcs tho. Go blue line, buff the pet dps and they will do the whole work until lvl 60+.
    After moria +-lvl 65 going red is faster.

For a group game play red for dps blue for tank or heals and yellow for troll mod.
    at lvl caped, you can easily use red and yellow for strong dps and nice debuff.
    Blue line is nice when it's about healing or keeping yourself alive (#godmodinmoors)

In any lines, keep it mind your pet is your best friend !

Jesus Christ, I congratz you for finishing that GoW deed at lvl 45 lol. You can be proud of yourself.

LMs really are not very squishy. Start with embers for the slow, add light of the rising dawn, and enemy should be dead by the time it starts hitting you. All your useful skills are fast enough to generally avoid interruptions. Water lore makes you a tank as well.

Mini and RK are much more squishy should any problems start happening.

If you feel squishy, eg at lvl 45, practice your CC. It is part of what makes an LM unique, and it's lots of fun - control what a group of mobs do (or are prevented from doing).

For example, (at lvl 45), you approach a group of mobs who together could kill you: Sticky tar for increased fire damage and slow; Bane flare to mezz all (all who are not immune) for 30 sec; pick your target, burning embers (slow and DOT), Wizards Fire (to upgrade to searing embers), repeat as it approaches, and kite backwards a bit if needed. Then repeat on another target... If the bane flare runs out, you can still use your other mezz to stop one of the now aggressive mobs in their tracks. You could also root one with cracked earth, or use light of the rising dawn to stun one. If your health is uncomfortably low, just wait for it to pick up a bit while mob(s) are mezzed/stunned/rooted, and avoid breaking your own CC unless you want to And of course, you also have your pet to help. You could eg send the bear to tank one of the mobs when its CC expires.

With stun happy mobs like half-trolls you have (the envy of all who have ever played much PvMP) anti-stun. Learn to use this skill and to anticipate when it will expire - very useful for some group content (stun immune tank or healer) and PvMP (if you are interested in this).

As has already been said, at lvl 76 you get waterlore. Stack that before a fight and there is very little that can kill you. There are lots of other things you can do too (like fire-lore by cross-traiting as red LM into yellow - at later levels), but the above alone should see you comfortably through just about any encounter, with a bit of practice, even before you get waterlore.