We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

netfxupdate.exe message on start up...

Hello all you knowing-all-things-good-with-computers...

Lately Windows 7 is prompting me about a netfxupdate.exe update.
    The origin is "on the hard drive" C:\Windows etc.
    I searched around the net for forums and it seems to be a valid update.

My question is, before I accept, does it pertain to the Net Framework that I see discussed on these forums, and, need I be concerned about the issue of which version of Framework, the order they were installed and so on?

Thank you kindly. Everything is working fine so I didn't want to screw it up.

(I have, however, recently seen some fancy blue geometric shapes popping up while killing spiders in NE Angmar. Running a new dual core with a half gig ATI card that was pre-installed. I have the newer 9800 1 gig NVidea that I think I want to install, from my old system).

Any advice is much appreciated.

Re: netfxupdate.exe message on start up...

Anybody getting a netfxupdate.exe update prompt at start up?

I know there is a security update for . Net 3 that went out recently and a new version of .Net 4 (do we need another version?). As far as I know, LOTRO uses an earlier version. I had to install 1.1 on my Vista x64 when I copied all the files over from my other partition.

As far as I know, you don't need it, and the jury is still out on weather it fixes security wise then it might break. (I don't know if it actually breaks anything, just that most security blogs I read are doing the wait and see thing)

Ok thank you.

Are you just getting prompted with this when you run the game or in general?

Usually, you have to download and install netfxupdate, to even get prompted. Its possible that the person that built the pc or the company you got it from placed it on your machine. Normally all .Net updates are obtained from Windows Update.

However as the previous poster mentioned there were recent updates to .Net 3.5 to fix a security issue. And as for 4.0, although it works with 3.5, it doesn't replace it, just like 3.5 didn't replace 1.1. My guess is the updater is running automatically whenever .Net is being utilized. The game uses both 1.1 and 2.0 versions of .Net, 2.0 is built into the 3.5 that windows 7 loads on your system by default.

Although it's possible to remove netfxupdate, without knowing why or who installed it, I'd just leave it be and just check once a week with windows update. As long as the updater is connecting to Microsofts website, you're probably safe accepting the downloads if it prompts you, windows update has a tendency for me not to be bothersome and posting alerts which is the way I like it.
    [center]Before there were graphics
    Imagination was the key
    Out of the MUDS crawled The Original
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000c5663/01007/signature.png]Sporati[/charsig][/center]

I advise treating it as a virus.

While I appreciate this is a dead thread, I include the following as it might help someone else that finds it interfering with their PC.

I have NEVER seen it prior to today. User Account Control prompted me to accept or reject its running on startup. My surfing activity prior to restarting my PC & getting the UAC prompt was going to some dead & non-maintained Player links for D&D Online (guild related).

My Google searching turned up posts up to 4 years old with ppl not too sure what it does. My fav Anti-Virus site, BleepingComputer had a post that was unsure about it but had a link to another post that suggested it was malicious.

If I knew where it was on my PC, I could email it to my AntiVirus company & we could start getting stuff done. But I searched for it after telling UAC no, & it wasn't found. Looks fishy to me.